Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Halfling

HALFLING
Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.

Warm oatmeal cookies. Sweet earthy oats and chai tea. Stays pretty close to the skin

All I can think of when I smell this in the bottle is the Strawberry Shortcake doll I had when I was still in the single digits. It is sweet and lovely and I adore it and the way it blends with the other RPG scents.

o.O I am getting cheese Doritos. Cheese Doritios in the face! After a while, say 15mins or so, it does dry down to a light oatmeal shortbread cookie kind of smell. But up to that point it's all cheese Doritos.

Definitely a nutty foody scent. Kinda reminds me of a graham cracker crust. It's dry like that.

I put my wrist of Halfling next to my wrist of Neutral, and it smelled really good! I'll have to try layering them.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

I passed Halfling up with complete confidence when it was released. I'm not a huge foody fan (particularly not when it comes to things like porridge and baked goods, although I do like some cake scents) and I despise anything with nuts in it. But when I read the reviews, it actually sounded good, so I bought a bottle on a whim, figuring that it probably wouldn't work, but it was worth a shot.

First sniff:

Om nom nom. Oatmeal cookies! I'm guessing that's the porridge combining with the pastry crumbs. It's got a sort of cookie-like base (with the slight grain scent that oatmeal cookies have) and a hint of spice. No nuts that I can smell, thankfully.

Wet on skin:

Still oatmeal cookies. There's a little bit of something else here, but I wouldn't pin it down as being nuts. It just adds depth without being identifiable. Maybe it's the nuts, maybe it's another grain in the porridge. I can't say for sure.

Dry down:

I genuinely like this! The porridge smell has gotten a bit stronger, but the oatmeal cookies are still there, too. It ends up being a sort of comforting, cozy spiced oatmeal scent. I swear, it's nicer than that might sound.

The bottom line:

I wouldn't have thought I'd like to smell like breakfast cereal (hot or cold), but Halfling is working for me. I think the soft oatmeal cookie vibe helps make this into something I enjoy. It's not really the sort of thing I'd wear every day, but I like it. I think this could layer really well with other scents, even non-RPG ones.

ETA: Now that Halfling has had a month to mature (a bit), I'm getting a sort of berry note, even though it's not listed in the notes. It smells like lightly spiced oatmeal cookies made with dried cranberries. I don't get porridge on the drydown anymore, either. This is all cookies, all the time.

It looks like I'm not the only one getting that, so at least I'm not crazy. I actually really like Halfling at this point. :D

Edited by Penance

In the imp, I was afraid of this. But once it's on the skin it's a lovely warm oatmeal cookie type fragrance. Fresh Baked! I just hope it sticks around on my skin!

this is the only bpal that smells like a yankee candle to my nose. i guess i will have to use this quite sparingly and layer it with other things!

I have a problem with a lot of the RPG scents smelling kinda cheap and reminding me of candle/soap making oils (including that kinda plastic/waxy undertone that I get from those cheaper oils). Halfling has that same undertone and reminds me of a Christmas candle fragrance. It's very spicy and kinda reminiscent of cider and snickerdoodle cookies. It gives me a headache if I wear it as a personal scent, but I do like it in an oil warmer every once in a while to scent a room.

ETA: Had my bottle for a year and it has turned even more plasticy and off.

Edited by Little Bird

In the vial: Oatmeal cookies and graham crackers with a hint of cinnamon

On: The same, with a bit more cinnamon and nuts. From a pure scent perspective, it doesn't repulse me. However, I don't enjoy it as a perfume (I am a confirmed foodie hater, and this is all foody, all the time). It turns into faint cookie dough within 15 minutes of application.

Later: Cookie dough, now with a slight berry-ish note. Man, I'm happy I don't tend to play Halflings, because this doesn't do it for me.

I think I found a winner! I didn't think I'd like smelling like porridge, but I do. Halfling smells oaty and sort of fruity--oatmeal with a swirl of berries (maybe frozen berries, leaving a trail of juice as they thaw). It sweetens over time, into a more cookie-like scent, like oatmeal cookies with dried cherries or cranberries in them--actually, it smells quite a bit like my memory of Cranberry Cookie Bark Bath Oil. YUM.

I was wary because when people say porridge or oatmeal, I'm afraid of a spiced cinnamon Quaker-style oatmeal and this is INCREDIBLE and a lot less foody than I expected for being food notes. Gorgeous, sexy, gourmand without being HEY I SMELL LIKE BREAKFAST in an overpowering way. Reminds me deliciously of a hobbit and I find it extremely comforting.

In vial: Honestly, it smells like pop-tarts. I looked up kuikui nuts and found out that it's a species of tropical walnut! That could explain the fruity component I'm getting.

Wet: Getting some spice and porridge now, oatmeal cookies is certainly an apt description. Cozy hobbit-houses with round doors must smell like this!

Dry: Unfortunately it goes to potpourri after a bit. Nice in its own way, but not as nice as the cookies.

Verdict: The imagery of a homebody hobbit enjoying his 'second breakfast' is delightful, and while it smells good in the imp & drying, after that it just lost its savor on my skin. I'm not giving up on the Shire just yet, so I may be back to edit after more testing.

In the decant: Sweet, foodie, delicious

Wet: Oatmeal cookies and spices! I want to eat my wrist.

Drydown: There is a slightly plasticky element that comes through for me, which is not unusual for foodie blends like this one.

Dry: There's a whiff of fruit with the oatmeal scent, and the plasticky note has almost disappeared. It sticks close to the skin, but I imagine it will smell delicious with Good :). I think I'm happy that I only have an imp, though.

I have a soft spot for Halflings (my first D&D character was one!) so even though I usually don't like foodie scents, I just had to try this one.

Sniff: Thick and mealy, a little buttery

Wet: Interesting, there's a sweet note, like raisins. A bit of spice too. It's porridge and pie crust!

Dry: I'm getting a hint of plastic as well. But otherwise it stays pretty much the same on drydown. I'd prefer this as a room scent - it's yummy but not quite right on my skin.

Opens up *very* sweet. Spicy raisins. Buttery pastry/pie crust emerges on the drydown. Unfortunately I'm getting the slight plastic edge to this as well. And the wet stage is really tooooooo sweet for me.

This is pretty sweet, but not sugary like some scents can be.

It definitely makes me think of breakfast! Oatmeals and muffins with dried fruits and spices. It's kind of a warm grain scent, a bit sweetened, but not overly so. I expected to like this more, but I find it simple and a bit too much like food. As a foody-scent-lover, this is possibly a weird distinction for me to make, but the foody scents I like tend to smell like cake and candy, stuff I actually don't eat that often, and this makes me think of a normal brunch instead which is somehow less appealing.

Definitely true to the description and cute for halflings though!

Okay, this is very foodie and sweet. It smells like a cross between oatmeal cookies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls. It's got a bright fruity edge, warm grain scent, and buttery cake component.

Interesting..

In the imp, sweet buttery pastry with a swirl of jam. Much yummier than I expected.

Wet for all of around 15 seconds it smelled almost exactly like the caramel popcorn balls our neighbor used to make around Halloween when I was a kid. Then IT hit, a plastic cherry note of doom.

This is the second RPG scent I had to wash off, Gnome being the first. The plastic cherry note burned my nose and the back of my throat and only got stronger as it dried. I'm not a big foody lover anyway. Whatever is in this did the same thing Drink Me did on my skin. DNW.

In bottle: Rich, nutty porridge with a hint of pastry lending a touch of sweetness. Wet: Very soft on the skin, mostly vaguely nutty pastry. Dry: A lovely soft pastry with powdered sugar. This would be perfect if it had more throw.

Delicious. Straight up delicious.

Sweet, slightly spicy but not nutmeg or cinnamon strong, even a hint of floral from the kukui nuts, and buttery. Reminds me of some Pumpkin Patch scents without the strong overlaying pumpkin note. There's something about the combination that still reminds me of pumpkin or squash. In fact, I was convinced that it was an element in Halfling!

This is the winner for layering.

ETA: I tried this again today and said to myself "this is what I wished Molly Grue was, but it wasn't".

Edited by SophieCedar

Halfling confuses me because I'm not really sure what I'm smelling. It's sweet, and somewhat foody. Must be the porridge. It doesn't smell like a baked good at all, yet it still smells like food. I don't think it works as a standalone perfume, but it might match well with one of the more masculine RPG scents.

Decant Sniff: Berry pie

On: Oatmeal with berries and a yummy hint of spice. Smells like crumbs on a halflings chin. ;)

Later on: Nutty and sweet, light and yummy.

Verdict: Have a bottle on its way! :wub2:

EDIT: Sold it off since the staying power wasn't the best on me.

Edited by Ichigo

This is making me think of nothing but oatmeal raisin cookies. Though I couldn't smell the raisin part in the bottle, it added itself in when it went on my skin. I kind of curious to see how it would blend with chaotic. Too bad I didn't play halflings much when I did gaming. *pouts over not getting to be rogue when I did*