Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry.

This was another serendipitous Lab frimp. I would never have chosen it on my own because of the wood and floral notes, but it turned out to be a keeper! In the imp and wet on skin, I get mist and tart berries. Dry, it's the same. Berry berry berry. My skin chemistry does like to bring out sweet notes, and I'm not getting any of the pine that others have mentioned. The berry is fresh and woods-y, not a berry candy like in Lady Macbeth. The misty, foggy element is very prominent too, it really reminds me of a magical elf forest from fantasy fiction. I know mist isn't listed as a note but this actually smells like what I'd hoped The Hesperides would smell like, except with berries instead of apples! Elf does have a massive throw on me for some reason, so I have to keep the application light.

EDIT: Oh, it's a new thread page! Added the scent description, hope I did it right.

Edited by CitrusFiend

This smells so pretty and ethereal in the imp, but on my skin all I smell is overwhelmingly sweet floral lily and berries.

Wow.

In the bottle and wet on my wrist, this is a deep, lush pine forest, just after rain.

As it dries, it's as if you walk through the forest into a magical media with berries and hot Elves lounging in the spring sunshine. There is a touch of herbs, and then musk and honey sprinkled through out.

This needs to be worn whilst stomping through the woods, or playing in the park.

So glad I took a chance and grabbed up a bottle on my last order. Love it!

Starts off as very strong wood and pine sap, but slowly morphs into a beautifully sweet blend of honey, musk, and berries. Once it's dry it doesn't have much throw, but the scent hangs around for close to 8 hours. It reminds me of quiet, almost reverent walks through the woods as a child. If Lothlorien smells like anything, it's this.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, because of the wide variety of notes (some of which are temperamental on me), but I think it's going to become a favorite. For those familiar with the Fae Forest atmo, this is similar, but with a slightly sweeter floral/woody quality under the berries in comparison to the pine/berries combo. It has the same sparkling feeling as Fae Forest, and has decent throw without being overpowering. What's more, this might well be the only honey perfume I would consider wearing in the summer--it is hot here today (80+ degrees F), but even in this weather it doesn't go overly sweet or floral. Very well-balanced, very pretty.

In the imp, all I can smell is pine. I tend to amp pine, so I was a little worried. Upon applying, the berries begin to make an appearance, which softens the pine a little bit.

After about 20 or so minutes, this starts to become a mix of berries, florals and pine. It's nice, but it's very, very strong. A little drop goes a long way for me, personally, and too much of this oil tends to give me a headache. It's nice, but I don't think I need a bottle. I have other berry scents that are less cloying, and unfortunately, I find the pine to be a little too intense for me.

Would absolutely recommend this to those who love pine and berry notes, though!

If you've ever wondered what it smells like to pick berries in an evergreen forest, this is it. I get moderate levels of pine trees and moss and general forest berries, but there is a lot going on in the background. Because I can't really pick out anything else specific, the best way I can describe it is walking through a moderately populated evergreen forest in the middle of spring when things are starting to bud and bloom and the first berries of the season are starting to ripen. I'm very happy wearing this.

Elf starts out with a blast of moss, then I get evergreen with a hint of roundness or sweetness to it. Pine and its friends can sometimes be harsh, but here it's smoothed out, and I think that must be the beeswax and amber working their magic but without really standing out on their own. There's a hint of berry, and maybe a little mint; it's the cooling sensation like in Wolf Moon 2016. This is a Yule-ish scent to me. I like it and will be keeping the imp.

I can't believe I've never reviewed Elf. It was my first RPG bottle purchase and is one of my very favorite impable GCs. Wet on my skin, Elf starts out with sharp evergreens -- I would guess juniper, maybe pine or fir, though they are not listed notes. Within 20 minutes, the evergreens soften (and aging should mellow them further -- I don't remember such sharpness in the imp of indeterminate age I had previous to buying the bottle last August). The golden musk and honeycomb emerge (think the gorgeous honey musk of the Bride) with some light, wild florals -- violet is problematic on me, and I'm not familiar with Parma violet specifically but I get no recognizable violet at all. The berry is a hint of tart fruit, and it all merges into this magical blend, like walking through dappled sunlight in a late spring woods, while knowing the secrets of all the plant life you pass and having the ability to take out a foe with a well-aimed arrow at 100 paces. Gorgeous.

I wore Elf to a teen production of Into the Woods last night. I applied at 5 and it was still perceptible at 7:30 this morning.

In the imp
Great. Christmas tree. :/

Wet on skin
Soapy Christmas tree. Awesome. Why? Out of all of the beautiful notes, why am I smelling soapy Christmas tree? This makes me a sad kitty.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes
See, NOW this smells like a melange of wild berries, violet, some forest plants, a bit of amber, and even a bit of something creamy. This is what I was waiting for. This is gorgeous. Even the slight remaining conifer note works here.

Final thoughts
This confuses me because in the imp, I hate it. But it's Elf! It's my character! It has so many glorious notes! So I'm really glad I gave this a try and let it dry. Once I was 15 minutes in, this was amazing. Now to wait for it to come back into stock.

Edited to add: Holy moly, try this with a little bit of Chaotic layered with it.

Edited by The Caity Cat

I'm reopening an imp from I believe 2011.  Elf was one that I was extremely excited for, as elves are just very on brand with my aesthetic.  I also dabble in DnD, but I mostly listen to Adventure Zone and watch Critical Role, and elves tend to be my favorite characters in those.  I'm interested in trying more of the RPG scents but this is the only one I currently have.

In bottle: PINE

On skin: the pine definitely calmed down on my skin; it's still there in the background.  The main scent is something I can't quite put my finger on- almost foody?  I would say vanilla but I usually hate vanilla scents, this is more of a creaminess.  This is probably the musk or honeycomb or amber?  

After a few hours: floral, but faded.  It doesn't stick around long on my skin.  I wish the pine stayed a bit stronger as I definitely associate pine with elves!

I'll be keeping the imp, and will consider a full bottle, depending on how I feel about other RPG scents!

Wet: I'm having a difficult time describing what this smells like. Standing in the middle of a forest after it rained, surrounded by berries and lilies with the sun shining through.. I think would smell like this.

Dry: Similar to the wet stage, but more of a traditional "perfume" scent to it now. A little bit sweeter as well.

This is a very evocative, pretty scent, but it's not for me. I DO think it would make a lovely room spray, though!

In the imp: Hawthorne, aspen, and berry. 

On my skin:

Wet, I can still smell the greenery, though golden musk does start to peek through. As it dries and develops, however, it reverts back to berry dominance. It's nice, but it's not my kind of thing. 

Reading Tolkien's works as a kid started my obsession with elves, so as soon as I saw this scent I knew I had to try it. Luckily for me, my skin chemistry likes it, so it lived up to my high expectations! This does smell very pine-y/aspen-y at first (which I actually don't mind except it makes me sneeze if I take too much of a huff), but quickly morphs into this perfect mountain-forest scent. This, to me, smells exactly like the mountains in Colorado where I grew up: aspen, wildflowers, and crisp, cold air. I do amp the berry a bit in the middle stage, but then the honey/amber scents come out and it all settles into this very delicate, subtle woodland sweetness. My 5ml is on its way.

Well I had a whole bottle of this eight or so years ago, so in a way this smells very nostalgic to me. It is a very soft forest scent, I get something distinctly like birch in this. The florals help make it soft and welcoming, the parma violet is quite nice and doesn't go musty candy on me as violet tends to. The base is lightly sweet because of the honeycomb and amber, these and the musk feel like streams of sunlight through the branches. The whole effect is warm, golden, and sparkling. 

In the imp, this is a pretty mix of woodsy, mossy notes and pale, ethereal florals. Unfortunately, my skin eats the florals and amps the berry, so I end up with more of a mossy green/coniferous scent with berries. It's still a perfectly good forest scent, but the florals in the mix helped differentiate it from other forest scents in my stash. Will hang onto my frimp for scent locket use, though.

In the Imp: Amber, honey, and berries!

On Me: A beautiful floral sweet scent, I can't stop sniffing myself! I was planning on trying this during my next D&D session since I'm a wood elf, but I couldn't help myself. I think I'm going to have to get a bottle of this, it was much more pleasant that I expected it to be. I'm really curious to see how well this plays with the other RPG scents I'm interested in like Rogue. My only complaint is that the scent has faded quite a bit in the 3 hours I put it on, hoping it's just because I didn't put enough on.

I never reviewed this, what the heck. I didn't like it at first, it was a blast of pine then way too much cloying honey, then weird. Retrying to today, the scent itself is not only a gorgeous, sweet, slightly forest berry evergreen soft light elven thing, but it's...still. You know that feeling when you walk into That Part of The Woods, Where The Evergreens Are, and no matter how windy, hot, cold, clammy or whatever is going on with the weather, there is that stillness, that constant feeling that evergreens give off. It's just quiet, calm, restful. This totally has that feeling to me, like the stillness and inner calm an elf emanates. Beautiful, I like this so much better now. Give it some time to rest if you are unsure, this one does well with aging. Highly recommend Es Lacht der Mai if you like this one!

This, to me, is a more evergreen version of the Fae Forest Atmosphere Spray. Such a bright, green scent with the perfect balance of sweet and fruity supporting notes. Very happy I picked up a full bottle of this.

In Bottle: Very fruity evergreen opening that is sweetened up by the honeycomb and musk. There are faint florals in the background, but nothing distinguishable. 

On Skin: The evergreen sharpness tones down, and the amber warms up and produces a lovely resinous quality. Still very bright and fresh, but rounded out very well by the blend of notes.

Dry Down: A fairly linear scent once it interacts with skin chemistry. Softens gracefully.

Wear Time: 6-8hrs 

Throw: Medium

elf is super pine-y in the imp which i love and wasn’t expecting. there’s also a good amount of citrus, but it’s not sharp, and i can’t pick out any specific florals. 

someone above said that evergreen note is actually the aspen, which is interesting

as it dries on me, it loses the pine :( but it remains fresh smelling and woodsy, a very nice clean skin scent… i’m considering getting a bottle. 

When I got my imp to try this scent, I instantly fell in love with it. It was ethereal and lovely. I decided it was full size worthy and went ahead and purchased the bottle. Sadly, when I received my bottle, it was very different to what my imp smelled like. I want to blame that on that perhaps my imp was aged and thus it had become milder and that the bottle was new and fresh and thus still sharp as a consequence.  

In the bottle all I get is pine. pine. as it dries down however the other notes start to pop out like the violet, and berries but sadly overall it all gets overpowered by the strong astringent pine. I'm going to keep my bottle however in hoped that if I let it age more it may hopefully in time become milder and match my imp. My imp was berries with a hint of moss, a slight bit of sweetness and creaminess from the honeycomb, dappled with flowers with the pine at the back seat enveloping everything else but not overpowering them.

Another imp from 2014 which I found carefully set aside to age, but which I somehow made no record (and have no memory) of purchasing. October 2014 was a wild time for me.

In the imp: An initial impression of pine-ish-ness. On deep sniff: moss, hawthorn, bark and amber.

Wet: Amber, sweet musk, berries and rustling leaves. A hint of honeycomb and cool forest streams.

Dry: Vaguely deodorising... like a really posh air freshener. The amber is sweet and dominant for most of the life of this. Wear time is around 6-8 hours with a medium throw.

Stars: ★★★½

This one is a bit of a morpher. Wet, I get wafts of mouth-wateringly sweet and rich honeycomb under a bouquet of lilies. Occasionally, the woody bite of hawthorne bark comes through, but its presence is fleeting. As it dries, the white moss takes center stage and it settles into a clean scent. I do get the berries and violet at this stage, but they're not as prominent as the moss.

Okay, wow, this is actually really nice. I haven't enjoyed most of the RPGs that I've tried so far, so my expectations were low. Elf exceeds. It's clean and fresh, yet woodsy and magical. I am not concerned about wearing it in a conservative work environment, yet I'm not betraying my own interests. All of the notes blend together expertly. I think I can smell the violet and lily, but it's not overwhelmingly floral. The musk is not sensual or dirty. The moss is not nauseating. The honeycomb and berry are not coyingly sweet. This is a keeper.