Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

According to the quiz posted in the RPG thread, I would be an Elf. But I passed this up when the RPG scents were released because I don't usually do florals and I'm not much of a berry fan (with some exceptions). It sounds like a pretty scent, but I'm not sure it's going to be "me."

First sniff:

I can see the comparisons to Skadi. Elf isn't a Skadi dupe by a long shot, but they've both got a sort of rich evergreen (I've read through the description several times and can't figure out where that's coming from) and berry thing going on. In the bottle, Elf is mainly piney wood/leaves with a hint of berry. There are some other things lurking in the background, but it's hard to pick them out.

Wet on skin:

Still mainly evergreen of some sort, but the berry suddenly launches a sneak attack as soon as it hits my skin. It's very assertive. These berries are attention seekers. :eek:

Dry down:

Thankfully, Elf calms down a lot on the drydown. It goes from being screaming berry and evergreen to a lovely, soft berry (hard to say what kind, but it smells red to me), musk and amber scent with moss and very faint florals lurking around in the background. It's very pretty and nowhere near being the flower-bomb scent that I was afraid of. I'm surprised that I'm enjoying the berry as much as I am, too.

The bottom line:

Not the kind of scent I typically wear, but I do believe I like this. Which shouldn't surprise me since the RPG scents in general are made of win for me, with only a couple of exceptions. I'm going to have to try layering Elf because I think it could smell all kinds of awesome with some of the other RPG scents (Rogue and Ranger come to mind immediately).

ETA: This scent is gorgeous (I like it more every time I wear it), but my skin eats it up. It goes from the wet scent to drydown very quickly and smells amazing once it gets there, but it's gone without a trace in maybe an hour, tops. I keep trying it again and again in different spots on my arms, hoping I'll find some place where it'll last longer, but no such luck.

Figures that I would end up falling for this but have to reapply and slather like a madwoman just to keep the scent going for even a short period of time. But it's so pretty that I got a backup anyway. The only thing keeping it out of my favorites box at this point is the ridiculously short lifespan (which is kind of ironic for an Elf scent, I might add :lol:).

Soft, woodsy, sweet, musky, clean. As it stays longer on my skin, the berry definitely starts to pop out. This would totally be a wood elf scent. Can't wait to layer this with my other RPG scents! I tend to play Elves/elven like creatures in the various online games I enjoy. :D

In the Vial: Smells like a forest. An evergreen forest, which is strange because there are no actual evergreen notes in this (though I suppose it's the aspen). Nor is there anything that should really be a "cold" note, but it smells cold. An evergreen forest in the winter. There's a medicinal sharpness to it as well, and... something almost tarlike. I can just pick out the wild berry, and I think I'm getting the golden musk, too. No honeycomb - here's hoping it comes out on my skin.

Wet: The berry's certainly coming out more, but no honeycomb yet. The phantom evergreens are still the star of the show, and smelling even more medicinal, and almost minty. It makes my nose feel cold, like eucaplyptus does. After a few minutes it starts to warm up and get a bit sweeter.

Dry: Oh, I think the honeycomb is finally starting to peek out... but it's still shy. The berry and floral notes have gotten stronger, making this a lot prettier and more feminine, rather than a manly pine scent.

An Hour Later: Wow, I can't believe how mellow it's gotten after the initial extreme evergreen. The evergreen scent has really faded, and is no longer cold and wintry, but it is still there in the background, hanging out with the florals. The honeycomb still doesn't smell like either honey or beeswax, but it's definitely lending a sweetness to the berry and making it smell really foody.

Overall: Quite a morpher, but in a good way. I don't like evergreens, so I'm not a fan of this in its initial stages, and while it does get nicer, it's still not something I would wear.

Sniff: High pitched herbal note. No pine or evergreen for me, it's more harsh and bitter.

Wet: Drat, I had high hopes for Elf, but this is all sharp cologne on me, with a medicinal streak that makes my nose itch. I was hoping for woods and berries, but instead this smells like cheap gin.

Dry: Well, it calms down after a few hours into a powdery, herbal amber. Unfortunately my skin is turning the honey into something sour and overall this leaves a rather unpleasant impression. I wouldn't give up on it for layering, though, it's just not a good standalone scent for me.

I bought a bottle of this immediately after the RPG line came out. I love all things RPG and elves are by far my favorite race, from everything from D&D to Warcraft. The description alone sold me... despite me being a little wary of early reviews. (Metallic? In my golden scents?) The idea of an immortal, golden perfume with a forest-like fusion was right up my alley.

In the bottle:

Aspen. That sharp woodsy, almost cypressy smell most poeple are probably to describe? That's absolutely aspen. Aspens are native here and I can recognize that note from anywhere. Seeing fall aspen leaves quake in the wind is something beautiful and leaves a very golden image to me...

...however, this is a surprisingly weak, watery and almost metallic aspen. That isn't a good sign when I read ingredients that seem to want to be a very golden forest-like smell. In fact, aspen is actually so prominent I cannot even pick out the other notes at all. Everything drowns in sharp, watery aspen.

Wet: Watery and weak, I look down at my hands a little worried. Only aspen is showing itself through. I feel like it needs to be toned down considerably if Elf is to even let out other notes. The scent is not much different from the bottle. I'm hoping it dries nicer...

Dry: But again, sharp metallic aspen and only aspen. I was hoping for a lot of changing of notes and to smell more of the "golden scents"... but this really is an almost a one-note scent for me!

I'm amazingly disappointed in this blend in the end. I'm not sure if it is just me, but this feels more like a prototype than a finished product. (That being said, now I'd now love to try some Elf prototypes! Hit me up!) I cannot say it is unwithstandable, by any means. I do enjoy now having an aspen scent and the bottle art is lovely. I think I will be keeping it for that in and of itself... and of course, the sentimental connection to elves as well.

Simply put, it's a nice, one-note aspen or sharp forest perfume, but I'm afraid it is not much else.

Edited by Lucius

In Imp: Sharp, 'perfumey', and elegant, just what I would expect from an Elf based scent. I definitely get the bark and the musk, as well as the moss - this is light and consists mostly of old greens instead of fresh ones, which is just perfect. I don't get much amber, which is a good sign, since amber is a total death note on me.

Wet: Sweet! Much sweeter on the skin than in the imp. I am getting some violet now. The bark has died back considerably, as has the musk. A touch of honey and lily, perhaps? Not very floral, though. And yes, now that I sniff it again, just a touch of the berry.

Dry: What a morpher this one is! It's sweet now that it's dried down, but really well blended, not particularly floral nor too green. The bark is still there giving a backdrop to the sweeter honey and berry notes. This is a light, green, beautiful scent, one that will definitely layer really interestingly with some of the harsher class based scents. Can't wait to try just that! 5/5

super sharp on mu skin, far to fresh, does remind me of my Fae Forest spray though :P

but it really makes me smell a bit of toilet? maybe I should get a bottle anyway (since I LOVE the name and all)

and just let it age :lol:

In the bottle and wet on my skin it smelled like straight pine to me. Not the astringent pine of a house cleaner but maybe the kind you smell in the car freshener. I was disappointed. Upon dry down the pine calmed down. It's still there but a bit of the wood and musk came out to balance it. I'd like more of the musk and any of the honey to come out though. Maybe layered this will appeal to me more. It smells too masculine for me by itself. I'll see what happens when I play with it a bit

First sniff, this smells like a Yule blend with a blast of evergreen. Dry, the berries, and what I get as a freshness, kind of like mint or eucalyptus. So this is still like a Yule blend to me, though I have to admit, I can imagine an elf definitely smelling like this. I like this, it is fresh and outdoorsy. The only complaint is that it fades very fast on me. It also reminds me of somthing I'd like to drink on a hot day, maybe there's some juniper here?

Edited by milo

Wet, Elf is all pine, and incredibly soapy pine because of violet. I was hoping this would be another forest love for me but the combination of pine or aspen or whatever, plus violet and honeycomb is getting sour on my skin. I...can't. :sick:

Oh man.. I think mxtine and I have the same skin chemistry. This is all pine and moss with a tiny amount of life everlasting and musk. The honeycomb is lost because of my body's wonderful ability to amp evergreens. I'd really like to try this out on a few friends with different chemistry though. I can see this being beautiful on the right person.. darn! I so wanted to match well with Elf!

In the Imp: A bright, fresh array of forest-centric notes with a sweeter base of musk and berry. Almost a candied berry.

Wet: Eeh, can already tell this isn't going to work, and I shouldn't be surprised. Violet turns just about everything it's in soapy and/or rotten for me, and with Elf there's a nice span of woodsiness - but combined with the florals and berry it's more like a generic sort of dish soap. The evergreen amps strongly as well, making me think of a Xmas tree.

Dry: Nothing is quite as in your face, but I'm still left with a very "cute" impression. I honestly think more of a Xmas elf stuffing presents in a stocking than I do a regal, lithe elf of the forest. You can essentially cut off the first three notes and the moss in my case, leaving a sort of holiday drug store body mist.

Overall: My chemistry just didn't like this one. I think if the other notes were able to come out then it could be very complex and intriguing, but as is it's just not conjuring the right feel for me. Passing on to another!

Decant--lovely berries and pine, touch of moss and flowers

Wet--the pine comes out. Not a surprise, really, as I amp all pine scents

Dry--pine continues to dominate, and it turns into the bad cat pee kind of pine that unfortunately often plagues me. There's enough hint of lovelier things along with it to make me even sadder that this didn't work on me. Combining with Good helps a little, but not enough, and soon they both make me smell like a Yankee Candle.

This scent turned out like a story on me. My skin seems to love this scent and I'm so sorry for all the people who it didn't turn out fantastic on.

In the bottle:Just like meeting an elf, cold distant. A cold pine scent not just pine but a deep pine, some other sent is lurking.

Wet: Becoming friends and perhaps even lovers. The pine sweetens and smells like pine cough drops that you can get in stores, I find this smell very comforting.

Dryish: Crushing red sweet berries under you while you make love on the forest floor. Warm berries the musk is starting to say hi.

Dry: A golden hazy after glow very sweet and comforting. There's your beeswax and musk very familiar and warm.

I say try this sent again until it's story unfolds for you, it's a very nice story.

I'm sad and surprised to hear that there are so many lovely BPALers for whom this didn't work out! For once, it seems my skin chemistry is on my side with Elf. wub2.gif I briefly sniffed this at a willcall, but didn't know until I swapped for a bottle how much I *love* this scent.

Wet in the bottle: Clean, forest-y, and a little ethereal, sweet perfume.

Wet on skin: The aspen, woodsy smell is here, definitely, but it's not sour or soapy. Unexpected notes amp on me: I get warm, honeyed amber and soft musk that really does make it smell "golden". The lily and the sweetness (from the berry-- though it doesn't smell like "berry" to me, it smells like a berry *plant*... green, with juicy purple or red pockets) offers the same sort of "aquatic" edge that I find in Victoria.

Drydown: The "pine" mellows into the background, leaving the other soft, warm smells to take the fore. It's clean, magical, gently tingling. The wood and amber mix in a way I can't really describe; they really do meld together into something new and really nice for me.

This perfume has a reasonably long life on me, though the throw fades. I wear it on my person and in my scent locket, and I've got a full day of gentle, intuitive woodsy Elf. wub2.gif Ahhhhh.

On first sniff it reminded me of some of my beloved '09 yules... cold, pine, snow... on second sniff a few days later it seemed to warm up a little into an early spring scent- the snow is still hiding under the pine, but small spring flowers are starting to emerge and everything is beginning to thaw.

The berries in this one are very muted- i seem to find more gentle floral than berry here.

Love love. Definitely want a bottle. :)

Imp: How.. unexpected. Smell like.. evergreen and berries = sweet and fresh & woodsy I assume.

Wet: Yep, still evergreen - not unpleasant. And no violet so far, yay! Maybe the parma variant is a good one that does not make me throw up! Does it equal sugared violets or just.. something sweet and purple?

Dry: This is mostly berry and sweet flowers with only a fresh hint of the evergreen. Very soapy somehow - maybe because it reminds me of some generic fruity/floral shower gel. icon_redface.gif Hmm, still, it is not bad!

I'm totally new to the perfume world, so I had no idea what to expect when I ordered my imps. So far, Elf is hands-down my favourite!

Never reviewed before, so here goes my best shot:

In the imp: A strong evergreen sap scent. Pine needles, maybe a hint of juniper.

On my skin, wet: The evergreen note remains. Similar to the scent in the bottle, with less sharpness. There's a light musky undertone that brings the presence of an elf himself into the otherwise still woods.

On my skin, dry (between 10 and 30 minutes later): The evergreen and woodsy notes almost completely fade. Now the scent of berries come through and any sharpness melts into sweetness. The scent is all feminine on me, delicate and graceful. Honey, red and black berries punctuated by the slightest brush of pine.

I wore this all day and could still smell it over 8 hours later, even with a light application.

In the vial: Clean, dry woodiness with a hint of fruit/floral.

On me: A thin, woody, masculine scent. When it goes on it's just barely touched by berry, but the berry amps during drydownwhich may be a product on my skin chemistry. It's a dry red scent, masculine, just a touch sweet, blonde wood and berrybut still redder and fuller than I'd expect from the inspiration: the berry is strong and out of place. At times there's a slight cologne-y aspect. Scent-color is luminescent red. Throw is moderate low, and wear length is short.

Verdict: My skin loves berry a little too much, and that may be what sours Elf for me. It's too vibrant, too red, overshadowing the other notes and deviating from the inspiration. Regardless, this scent isn't my style. I'll pass along my imp.

SO HAPPY WITH THIS!!! I wanted something bright like Fae but more.... immortal and elf hits the nail on the the head.

On me it smells like grapefruit with honey and the golden musk is perfect. It is aloof, warm and shimmering. Sunlight through dappled trees, first love that has managed to endure eons and become finer with each passing decade.

I always play elves (or eladrins or drow, but they're all elf-like) in D&D, so I was super-excited for this one.

In imp: Lots of berry and pine.

Wet on skin: Still lots of berry and pine.

Dry: The sharpness of the pine and berry has toned down a lot to produce a sweet, slightly musky and woody and floral and holy cow I love this! It's a little sweet without being too fruity or childish, it's musky without being heavy, and woodsy without too much sharpness. The only downside is that it's very light on me. I also tried it with Rogue, and for a long time the Elf was totally drowned out by the muskiness in Rogue. But Elf is definitely a favorite!

Edit: It's been 10 hours since writing and the scent is still there! Very little throw, but still. :D

Edited by Quanta

In the imp: Foresty. No one note really stands out.

On skin, wet: Still foresty. It's more of a bark smell than leaves or resin, now.

On skin, dry: Very similar to the wet scent, but sweeter.

After an hour: It's gotten pretty faint, in general. It's more dominantly sweet now, with the bark scent now just an undertone. It's nice enough, but fading fast and not really grabbing me.

Very woodsy. Gorgeous while wet, but as it dries, something goes a little off (maybe the berries?) and gets too sweet. I love the concept, but I would pick Jabberwocky or Hemlock if I want something in this scent category.

I bought an imp of this just to have because I love elves. I never actually expected it to work because it's not my type of scent.

In the imp: Evergreen and a hint of berry.

On me: Basically the same when I first put it on. Evergreen and berry. I actually really like it at this point. Then it warms up and the musk and honeycomb start coming out and I can't smell the pine at all. It's just soft and sweet. I LOVE this. It's very elf-like, sophisticated and woodsy. Definite bottle purchase. :wub2: I'm so happy this works on me.