Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Alice

Dwarf

Iron filings and chips of stone, Styrian Golding hops, and soot-covered leather.

Bubble gum and bitter herbs. Heady, hoppy, dense. A leather note similar to The Soldier.
Based on the notes, this should be a disaster on me... and it isn't awesome, but the disastrous metal/stone notes don't show up on me, and the hops and leather are better than expected. Interesting scent. No idea where the wet bubble gum scent came from.

In imp: weird stone-y.

Wet: Metallic but not in the way I'm used to (I work in a machine shop so I know the smell of metal and this is metal-adjacent)

Dry: Sweaty socks

No. This is a definite no on me. The initial smells were weird but I was willing to ride them out and see if it morphed pleasantly. Now I smell like a gym bag.

In the Imp (ITI): This actually has an odd floral aspect to it, which might be the hops. At first, it is all I can smell. After a little, I smell something like shale, soot, and a hint of leather. Interesting, but I little cave-like.

Wet: Floral hops is all I get on my skin. Amp city, here I come.

Dry: It's still rather perfume-y - hops and florals with a touch of leather. I like this much better when dried.

BPAL's dirt mixed with leather, something sweet and grainy, and a sharp herbal note in the background that's definitely not hops. I knows me some Styrian Goldings, and I can't smell a solitary whiff.

The dry-down smells like my Grandpa Teddy's hair tonic. He never carried an axe.

Edited by yewberry

Wet: Sort of sweet. Ash and mead perhaps.

Drydown: Sweet stones and ash. There's a touch of something herbal and grain-like, which must be the hops. I wonder if hops is one of the herbs in Osun, because something in this is reminding me of it.

Dry: Pebbles and ash splashed with the frothiest of ales. A grounding hint of warm, spicy leather just beneath. It’s quite similar to the Robotic Scarab in this phase. It also reminds me of the process of sanding lithography stones, specifically the mix of metal grit with water. A vaguely warm, watery metallic that lands square in the middle of earthy and sharp.

7 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

I received this as a frimp in a recent lab order.

In the imp there's something almost...banana-y? as well as an impression of beery yeast/hops, and a cellar-like, cool dampness. There's also a faint bitter leafy note, somewhat like tobacco. There's a richness that almost reminds me of chocolate or something, too.

I don't really get leather, either in the imp or on my skin. Not overly metallic despite the "iron" note listed, and the stone seems to be the wet/damp stone note rather than the chalky/dusty one I've encountered in a few scents. On my skin, the hops note is smelling pretty sweet/baked, though the banana-ish note I smelled in the imp isn't showing up on my skin. It isn't too strongly foody, though, but it's a definite "grain" type scent predominantly, with a bit of a back-of-the-throat bitter note.

When fully dry, the bitter smell takes over more and becomes a smoky, burnt smell, presumably the soot note. Michi says it reminds her of a firecracker. I find this stage unpleasant, unfortunately. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

Body chemistry is an amazing thing! Reading these other reviews is an eye-opener. On me, Dwarf starts out wet with a strong stone and metal, with something bright-green and floral-spicy under it. No leather at all, no soot, just really awesome stone, metal, spicy herbal. It's a strong throw when wet, more subtle when dry, and after an hour the whole thing is gone, except for a lovely warm, powdery-spicy floral that lingers close for many hours.

However, when you layer Dwarf with some of the other RPG's (like they were designed to!!) something magic happens when you get the right combo! Thieve's Rosin, Lawful, Ranger, and Mage all combine with Dwarf (on me) to make a wonderful, unique, long-lasting, wrist-huffing experience. With the oils in the RPG line that tend to go sweet on me, like Chaotic, the result is pure Eau de Urinal Cake, and must be removed immediately. So, experiment!

In the bottle - Vinegar or something pickled with a slightly metallic twang

Wet on me - Dark musky and musty scent with hints of smoke

Dry on me - An almost sweaty musky leather scent

Overall - Didn't work well on me at all

Wet: Cold floral. The hops must be strong on me. The original in your face jasmine dies down pretty quickly though fortunately. Cold and sharp for sure.

Drying: This is drying really nicely! It's a sharp and impressive metallic floral. usually florals don't agree with me but something going on here's got me huffing my wrist.

Dry: The throw on this seems even stronger dry, which is unusual for me and I'm glad for it! It is remarkable! Excited to get to layer it up with the others in the RPG line.

In the imp: Iron and hops? I'm not really sure.

Wet: Iron and stone. The hops note is present too, but I am not getting much leather from this. (I think that is a good thing.) I think I am getting some soot, though.

Dry: Very masculine, with something sharp. I definitely get the soot aspect now.

Verdict: Well, I think this lives up to the description, but it's not for me!

Edited by dementia_divine

In the imp: There are a lot of notes that I'm completely or partially unfamiliar with here, so my impressions might be a bit off. That said, I immediately got something kind of syrupy-sweet (maybe the hops?) that mingles slightly unpleasantly with a VERY sharp sort of sweaty-metallic tang - my first thought was paint. Not gonna lie, I was a little apprehensive about putting this on my skin...

Wet: Thank Bob, that sharp tang is gone. In fact, my first impression was "...is that bread?" So that's probably the hops coming out to play. In fact, it becomes a musky-sweet (but not traditional gourmand/fruity/floral/perfumey sweet - it's difficult to describe) scent that seems VERY masculine. However, this calms down after a few minutes and lets something a bit colder and tangy come out. Not nearly as strong as in the imp, but I'm going to guess that this is more of the leather and stone. There's mmmaaaayyybeee a touch of metallic-ness, but, see above re: not as strong as ITI. In fact, now it's rather pleasant. The hops, too, are still around a bit, but only to provide some nice mellow warmth to the dominant stone and leather.

Dry: A wonderful smoky, leathery warmth that still reads very masculine, but no less enjoyable for it. I've never been quite confident enough to experiment with layering, and I got this as a frimp, and the only other RPG scents I own (Paladin and Half-Elf) are also frimps, but this is making a pretty strong case for me to systematically buy the series and get a-layering!

It's interesting that what terrified me so much ITI turned out to be such a mellow, well-rounded, balanced blend. Thank you once again, BPAL, for leading my nose to scents it didn't know it needed!

In the imp: A rather unpleasant combination of sweat, male musk, and dark beer. Why am I putting this on my skin...?

Wet on my skin: Smells like Guinness, smoke, and wet stone.

Dry: As this dries, it becomes increasingly pleasant to the nose, very different from how it smells in the imp. Thankfully. It starts off with a kick of damp cave/stone and freshly forged iron, a little bit of fireplace ash, and that dark, stout beer. As it wears for a few hours, the iron and stone fade somewhat, giving way to a woodsy-ashy-fire scent that is very similar to the woodsy-ashy-fire notes in Midnight Carnival. Which just happens to be one of my all-time favourite BPAL scents. The metal further adds that similarity to Midnight Carnival's metallic two-penny magics. This is a very evocative and somehow homey scent, with that beery touch that ends up more like a tavern hearth fire than a magical bonfire in the woods. I really like this!

P.S. I play a couple ever-elusive female Dwarves in World of Warcraft. They aren't my mains, but I love them nonetheless.

My first thought on sniffing this was "iron distilled patchouli". It also kind or reminds me of the TAL Fortitude, which makes sense because I picture dwarves as extremely grounded and having great endurance. Definitely got the metallic tang, but am also picking up something I interpret as pine for some reason. It's not me, but was elated to get it as a frimp.

At first all I smell is wine. ??? Maybe my nose is confused and it's the hops I am smelling.

After a minute, I get something metallic, dark leather, and cold stone. And a literal coldness...breathing it in leaves a cold feeling in my throat, but it's not eucalyptus.

This is one that's hard to put into words. Masculine and a little sexy. Could totally be Tyrion Lannister's scent. :biggrin:

another frimp from the lab! yep this starts off very stony smelling. something in this almost seems minty, but dryyyy. this scent is so dry, as iron and stone is wont to be i suppose. the hops and leather come out later. wow, is this strong and potent on me. and so dry. it gives me a bit of a headache.

Oh! First time I sniffed this I hated it, I remember thinking "super in your face masculine-cologne, aquatic, salt"

...Not getting any of that this sniff 'round. Well, alright, there's a saltyness to it and I'd say it's neutral/masculine. Once on my skin the overpowering metal and stone notes dissapear, and amps up a lovely sweet dusty leather with a bit of earthyness.

It's really dark and smooth. Faaancy!

I've never played a dwarf. This almost makes me want to.

Right when I apply it, before I try to smell anything, I get whiffs of metal. Hard-clanged metal. Metal, and slightly warmed, dull stone, and wholesome hops right out of a brew mash (though no booze notes), with a smudge of sooty dirt. I don't get leather at first -- and then sometimes it's right in my face. It blends well with the hops.

Once dried, this settles into a smoky leather blend, maybe with a little patchouli, but if so, it's not bothering me as it usually does. I'm thinking Thief or Fighter will layer well with this.

It is... dwarfy. Brusque, earthy, productive, venerable, dignified, and grr.

In the imp: Minty and a bit spicy.

Wet: Soft and fresh cologne. I think I'm getting some patchouli or vetiver?

Dry: This one's strange, not at all what I would have imagined from the description, a lot more feminine too. It actually smells a bit like patchouli and lillies on me.

Wow, this feels like a malicious Dwarf, to me. This is dark, earthy, rooty, dirty. Makes total sense. I actually kind of like it, though I could never wear it, and don't even know if I would like it on a man, or as a room scent....hard to describe, it's just really compelling. Totally on point. Before smelling this, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what a Dwarf should smell like, but now that I've smelled it, I'm like, YES - this is what Dwarves smell like.

Wet - bright, sharp, tangy. And yet, still kind of warm and golden.

On skin - It feels unisex to me -- not overly masculine on my skin. As it's drying down, it feels softer, smoother, warmer. Reminds me a bit of Givenchy Pi?

I anticipated a kind of blood smell from the iron, but I'm not getting that at all. The tang is still vaguely there, but I smell the leather and gold more.

Husband's interpretation: "men forward, maybe some spice." When asked if he smells beer (he homebrews) he added, "Oh yeah, maybe!"

I think I would like this on him. It's nice, simple, unpretentious. Just a nice, unique blend with no bells or whistles.

Where I'd wear this: Bathing greyhounds

Edited by gloame

Rank vinegar with medicinal overtones that shifts quickly into a wet stone, soot and leather combo that sticks close to the skin, with a gentle and long-lasting floral cloud that must be hops hovering over it. Surprisingly charming.

Starts off as 100 percent banana candy. As it settles it turns to worn leather and metal with a cold tinge of stone.

Lab frimp! The hops are very sweet and floral smelling right on application, they are almost bubble gum-like for a second before settling. That is most of what I get to start. There is a bit of the dusty leather but not much. There's also an undertone that reminds me of the 'thin oil' or bronze note in The Robotic Scarab, that I really like. I never really get the mineral or metallic qualities that everyone else seems to. This is very pretty and not nearly as masculine as I'd pictured from the description. This dwarf is a total girl-next-door type that probably sings Taylor Swift songs in the mines.... I applied quite a bit so it began very strong. It became less noticeable over the course of a couple hours so sadly it didn't last as long as I'd have liked. However I liked this a lot more than I thought, it stood out as very unique! I've never looked much at the RPG line but this was cool.

I like dwarf very much :)

stone is a scent i only recently discovered in bpal; and hops is cool. I am happy I don't smell metal like in robotic scarab, which I found tricky.

to me, scents are often about associated images. this is not how I picture a dwarf smelling because this is so nice:) and a dwarf would be rougher in my imagination.

in sum, on my skin, this is a bucket with hops in a rather sweet beer-factory (I have visited 2 in my life), and stone and far away brown leather and something floral if I am not imagining it.

It's such a lovely idea. I'm happy that dwarfs smell so fresh.

Edited by zazkea