Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sfsassy

Thunder and Blazes

Leather, crushed grass, mud, sangre de grado, and crushed lemon candy.

Upon first sniff and application, this is all dirt-dirt-DIRT! But as it dries, the dirt mixed with grass, and I would get a whiff of errant sweetness every so often (the lemon candy?) until putting my wrist closer to my nose. Then, again, all I could smell was grass and dirt, yet still when my arm moved the sweet slightly citrus-y note was in the air. It wasn't until about an hour after application that the most delicious leather note crept out, and even then the dirt remained a bit. This is a nicely complex scent, and waiting for the leather to come out is so worthwhile! 3 stars of 5 stars are awarded this LE blend. If the leather note had come out a bit sooner, the score would've been higher.

awww.. stellans wrote my review already for me! :lol:

Here's how it went on my skin:
Stage 1 - damp, dirt, grass, kinda mouldy smelling. Duration: 40 minutes
Stage 2 - yummy soft leather, a slight sweetness, dirt/grass in the background. Duration: from here to infinity.

I didn't like the first part very much at all - I almost went and washed it off... I really don't dig dirt/mud/grass smells at all. But the winner here is the Sangre de Grado with its gorgeous resin-y dragon's blood vibe and smoky vanilla-like tones - I think that's what is mixing so beautifully with the leather. Sadly, the mud/grass/dirt business never quite goes away for me - it grows fainter over time, but it's still very much there as a bottom layer all the way through the life of this oil on my skin. Bummer, because that leather/Sangre combination is fantastic.

I'm tempted to get a bottle and see how it ages, but.. no.

I am a little mixed up on my feelings of this scent. I love grass scents and I love leather scents so mixed with lemon candy I figured this would be a win scent and purchased two bottles. I wore it for the first time today and fell in love with the grass aspect of the scent. I was not as fond of the leather part as I had hoped. It started to get a little too sharp and overtake the lovely grass part. I did not really notice the lemon candy part at all. I wore it to work and heard a comment from someone I work with "what smells like paint in here". I think it was me :blush:. I think she was smelling the sharp scent that I was amping. I washed the scent off my arms, but it was still on my chest so I could at least smell how it worked as the day went on. It is now almost 13 hours later and I can still smell this scent on me. I think I will keep one bottle for my own enjoyment when I am not around so many people at work. I like it, but I think it is an attention getter and one of those love or hate scents. I am going to pass my back up along for someone else to try.

:::THUNDER AND BLAZES:::

The long and the short of it: this is the very best of the Leather fragrances.

Thunder And Blazes is quickly becoming a favourite.

The label art is good and creepy. Downright disturbing, in fact.

This clashes wonderfully with the scent.

From the Bottle: Leatheriffic! This was opened in the car after picking it up at Bat's Day.

The reactions were whiplash and, "Holy Hells Chaps!"

This amps delightfully on the skin.

The Dragon's Blood is subtle and compliments this formula overall.

The Lemon Candy and the Crushed Grass weren't obvious from personal experience, nor was the mud.

There is something wet in this; not Ozonic, per se, but moist... morning dew perhaps.

Thunder And Blazes is a must for Leather lovers.

Exquisite on Him or Her.

A 5.5 out of 5!

My notes: In decant, ick. Wet, ick. Then, I get the mud. And composting grass. Then after awhile, I do get the leather…smells like an old shoe. Off to trade with you! An hour later, the leather is nicer, soft and well-worn. Doesn't smell like I've been turning the compost pile now. Maybe I'll keep you after all! If I can stand the first hour. Or, when I'm going to work in the garden.

What an odd scent!

Wow. Fresh out of the decant this seriously smells like mud! It reminds me strongly of going to the park as a little kid. It smells like wet green grass, wet dirt, and puddles of water. The watery mud scent is surprisingly strong and lifelike. The lemon sneaks in later, but it's very lemon-scented household cleaning product, which just further adds to the weirdness and clarity of the narrative. The leather is subtle and in this context, reminds me of nothing if not easily dirtied white sneakers, velcro and plastic embellishments and all. Soo... yeah. Grass and water, muddy shoes, and a whiff of lemon cleaner. This is the least lemony of the clown scents and easily the most interesting, but it's too strange and vivid for me to wear as a perfume. But for the record, I never got even the tiniest hint of dragon's blood, and I hate dragon's blood.

I love this. I loved the Traveler, with it's mud, wet stone, grass, and leather. This is the Traveler plus lemon candy and dragon's blood. My skin seems to love scents like this, they always get a lot of attention when I wear them. Most folk with untrained noses don't know what to compare it to, one of my coworkers who particularly loves it always says it smells like "really expensive soap, in a good way." I can handle that, because these types of scent always give me a charge, make me feel like am at the Renaissance Festival in fall and the scent of grass, mud, and leather just adds to the sense of place. A big time keeper. :)

:cry2: I was hoping for more leather

sadly, what I got was a wet scent that smells of mildew. there's leather there, but it smells like mildewed leather...even washing it off I smell like I'm moldy

edit* I washed this off...but the smell didn't go away. In fact, HOURS later (6+) I can still smell it. There's a bit more leather, but it's still moldy mildewed :ack:

Edited by Roogna

This is such a nostalgic scent.

Makes me think about the summer I spent at camp during my childhood. The crushed dry summer crass under out tents, night time rainstorms that left everything damp, rain boots, towels and swimsuits drying in the sun, sticky candy at the bottom of your rucksack, lazy moments spent lying in the crass listening to the lessons in these big white tents that smelled slightly mouldy and filtered the hot summer sunshine . I love it.

It's not in anyway a pretty girly scent, but it's really comforting to me, the exact scent of my childhood summers spent with my friends in that intoxicating freedom of summer without your parents. First crushes, heart wrenching happiness and pure optimistic bliss. When I'm feeling sad and long for those simpler days, I just pick this imp up and let my memories soar.

I love this one so much that it's the first full bottle I ever bought (partly because it was now or never - I'm coming for you next, White Rider). A female friend of mine says it reminds her of gardening on a spring morning. The leather and earth parts are what linger most with a little of the grass. I don't really get the lemon either, but I think that's because it's so similar to the green grass. It's got this bright, uplifting, earthy energy to it that's fantastic.

Really light and nice. Grass and a little citrus and sour leather. I can’t detect any dragon’s blood in this. This SHOULD be very boyish to me (grass usually does that) but the lemon candy keeps it from going there.

DAAAAMMMNNN way more manly on my skin. The leather and mud just BOOM out. Much more of that sourness, with a little grass at the back now.

Dry, it's closer to the bottle smell, a sort of sour, citrusy grass. Weird as hell, but I keep huffing it. I like this one!

When this is wet, it smells like the soil and grass before a thunder storm...I was about to abandon it to the swap pile when....

Dry, this is a whole different story. This reminds me of the dank, almost moldy scent of a dark haunted house ride! The leather is the leading note (thank god), and I can pick out the other notes if I really think about it but they really do become a greater sum than their individual parts. Something about this scent touches a deep part of my memory and frightens me! I love this!

On me this was pretty terrible, mostly grass and soil and leather. I got no lemon candy, and that was the only thing aside from the leather I was looking forward to. However, this was purchased for my other half, so I didn't think it would smell very good on me. :)

On him, it's very much the same, unfortunately. Leather is thicker and grass is deeper, and he gets a hint of lemon. The soil/mud spoils it for both of us, I think.