Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Bones Trombone

Pie crust, smears of blueberry marshmallow cream and lemon meringue, and hemlock.

I smell like lemon meringue pie. I can smell the filling, the buttery crust, and the whipped cream which on my skin smells like it is about to spoil. :sick: . While I may want to eat lemon meringue pie..I don't wish to smell like it. PASS.

Very sweet and foody.

As I applied, the blueberry was very strong, and immediately bloomed into delicious blueberry pie on my skin. As it dried, the blueberry faded somewhat, leaving me with a creamy lemon meringue. I expected the pie crust to get a bit buttery, but it wasn't ever overwhelming, and stayed in the background as sort of a soft pastry note. I'm really impressed with how well the lemon meringue note stuck around -- citrus notes tend to burn off on my skin very quickly, but this one lingered for quite a while.

This was super-delicious, but definitely not for anyone who isn't into really sweet and foody scents. I love the lab's blueberry note, and treasure my bottle of Blue Phoenix, and this is another great example of that juicy-tart blueberry scent.

This is quite true to the description--pie crust (subtle, but there) with creamy blueberry and lemon. The fruit notes are tart but the cream/marshmallow sweetens them and keeps the lemon from going Pledgey on me. There is a very, very faint trace of hemlock. I'm happy that the marshmallow is NOT turning to plastic here! I like this a lot but will need to skin-test it again post-shower, as I've had a little trouble with blueberry being an irritant in the past. But overall--delicious! I want pie now.

I am SO disappointed by this one. :( The wet phase is amazing, all berries and pie crust with a little marshmallow-y sweetness on top. Then, in the blink of an eye (literally less than half an hour) this turns to vaguely lemon-scented wax on me. :((((

This is delicious; I really get the gooey blueberry filling and buttery piecrust plus mounds of marshmallows. The lmeon cuts the sweetnes but doen'st take over like screeching lemon verbena tends to do on me. There's a trace of hemlock in the wet phase but it doesn't show up much on my skin. Further on in the drydown the marhmallow becomes more prominent and th elmonfades, but the blueberry and piecrust still stay true the whole way through. Love it!

Edited by Invidiana

This one is super sweet without much blueberry to me, but not the super sweet sort that I like. I don't get much of anything besides marshmallow, which is a little disappointing. I'm more of a Sugar Skull or Bloody Mary fan. I'll put this one away and come back in a few months!

Mae

Immediately after application, it's very creamy lemon. I do not get any of the blueberry at all. At one point it was almost edging into 'lemon cleaner' territory but it shied away from that. I get a burst of butter as well. Not so much the crust but butter. The butter calms down but is still there. Turns out to be a very creamy, fluffy-like lemon with a bit of something (hemlock maybe) in the background to keep it from being OMG FOODY. Like it a lot and this tells me not to be afraid of the hemlock anymore. May get a bottle.

Wet: Lemon meringue pie with a hint of blueberry.

First on: My skin amps up the blueberry — it smells very similar to the blueberry note in Surreal Crawdad Dream — and it’s mixing very well with the lemon.

Dry: Very, very sweet. Delicious, beautiful scent that lasts exceptionally long.

This starts of really sweet, really really sweet. Then the lemon mixes with the blueberry and makes it a bit sour. And than it just smells like a fake lemon cream. I'm not sure what happened but this just falls flat on me.

Easily my favorite of the Coulrophobia scents. In the vial it smelled like pie. Creamy, sweet pie. Wet on skin I got heavy lemon that reminds me of lemon pez, which is fine by me as the lemon note that turns to lemon pez always works well on me (as opposed to the one that smells like true lemon and goes dish soapy). It's the same one in Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat which I loved. As it warms, the lemon fades and softens, allowing the blueberry to emerge a bit. I get creamy vanillic marshmallow with hints of blueberry and lemon. I fell asleep and when I woke up, my wrists smelled like vanilla ice cream so I think there's some benzoin in this too. Guh. YUMMY.

In the decant: The blueberry marshmallow cream is the more obvious note, but the lemon meringue and pie crust come through as well. This smells wonderful at the moment. :)

Wet: The lemon meringue is busting out all over; I was afraid of this.

The dry-down: Ah, the blueberry marshmallow cream came back. But the lemon is keeping this from being as sweet as it was in the decant. Also, there's just a hint of the hemlock lurking in the background. The blueberry marshmallow is a bit like someone mixed Blue Phoenix and Marshmallow Poof together, so I might try that idea so as to escape the lemon note. If you like both the fruit notes, and both the sweet notes, this is one not to be missed.

Lemon meringue, crust and blueberry... The marshmallow note is odd - waffling between foodie and fake/plastic.

If this was straight up foodie, I think I could really go for more of it. Sadly, the marshmallow note does not play well with my skin...

I smell lemony cream cheese in the decant. On skin, flaky crust blueberry pie with lemon curd topping. The lemon note in this blend is very creamy and fluffy, kind of like a lemon flavored marshmallow. It's really fun and Springy but I'm not sure if I'll need more than this decant.

Bones Trombone is an odd one. Wet, the hemlock overpowers the other notes, but as it dries, it turns into this bizarre mix of blueberry-lemon meringue pie, with blueberry and meringue being the most apparent notes. I love the Lab's blueberry, so I think this one is a keeper.

In the bottle: Okay, this is Eat Me with blueberries! Or lemon! But WHATEVER, I don't care! It is my beloved Eat Me, at last, at long, long last! [[Edit to say: Okay, somewhere I got the idea that Eat Me had been discontinued. But now, it doesn't appear to be. So ... never mind. But this is still Eat Me with blueberries and sometimes lemon!]]

Wet on skin: Yep, still Eat Me -- a lovely white cake scent but very fruity-tart. At this point, it's not really citrus or blueberry -- just tangy fruit and white cake.

Drydown: Now this is the fun part -- while it's drying down, it's like LEMON! No, BLUEBERRY! No,LEMON! No, FROOT LOOPS! No ... well, and so on.

Overall: it is really as though one put on Eat Me and got that lovely cakey foody scent, but instead of currant, you get blueberry lemon froot loops.

I absolutely adore this -- I'm getting several bottles!

Edited by MrsVeteran

That lemon meringue and hemlock had me worried but I got a decant of this anyway - and I'm so very glad I did! Usually I'm not too good at picking notes out of an imp but this was delicious the minute I opened it. Yummy yummy pie crust and fruit.

Wet - more delicious pie crust and blueberry, with just a tiny hint of lemon underneath giving the scent a bit of zest. Dry - hardly morphs at all, and I still love it! This is a new favourite for me :D

In decant: berries! Berry pie! Pie crust! This is yummy. There's a hint of that lemon pasty/lemon cream note as well. This Monster Bait series is making me very hungry.

Wet on skin: pie crust, lemon, and berries, in that order. I think I can safely say, now, that I amp lemon, because while the berries are still strong here, the lemon was just a whiff in the decant but now I'm getting it over the berries. Very foody. Berry pies and lemon cream cookies.

Dry: still the same as the wet on skin smell--pie crust and lemon and berries. Yummy, very very nice. I love pie crusts, and this is fabulous pie crust. I have no idea what hemlock smells like, but I'm getting a faint green sort of note here, but very faint--I wouldn't notice it if I wasn't really sniffing for it, although later on, this green note seems to be rising steadily.

Verdict: very, very promising. I'd like to see if this changes aged, but I also want to give this a whole day test before pronouncing it a winner, as I'm unsure about that hemlock note. Otherwise--omg pie crust I love you!

I'm really happy with Bones Trombone, because the lemon actually behaves in this one! Unlike in Knockout Drops, where it was very loud and a big bully to the other notes.

Considering the mix here, I'm finding this clown to be surprisingly un-foody - I think the credit for that should probably go to the hemlock, for keeping it real and balancing out all that tooth-achingly sweet stuff. YO hemlock, you're a good little fellow :thumbsup:

The blueberry marshmallow cream is, as you would expect, completely delicious smelling - again, not too sweet - I really like it. I'm not getting any pie crust really at all (this is a good thing), and although I can smell a top note that has a definite citrus edge.. it's not overly lemon-y at all.

I keep having to remind myself that although I love the way these foody BPALs smell, I rarely actually wear them as perfume. But I dunno - I actually might wear this one, because it's just in that little groove in between yummy-smelling and foody-smelling.

I got a yummy lemon chiffon pie scent from this blend. There was a little tartness from the blueberries, but mostly sweet, lemon pie scent. The hemlock was there, but not too overly powering so I barely noticed it. I found this blend lasts long on the skin. I remembered it was about 5 hours later and I could still smell it pretty strong. It is really good :yum:

In the Vial: Kind of like Zombie Apocalypse, but with blueberry and lemon instead of strawberry. It's sweet yet a little tart, cakey, and delicious. The hemlock is just barely noticeable, giving it a fresh, herbal quality. Even so, it's definitely foody.

Wet: The lemon takes over as soon as the oil hits my skin, though the overall sweetness is still there. It's reminding me of Dorian. After a minute, the hemlock starts to get stronger, which is what I was afraid of. BUT! Then the blueberry and pie crust come back, toning down the hemlock and bringing the foodiness back.

Dry: The lemon is still the dominant note, and then the sweet foodiness. The throw is very marshmallow, but up close it's all lemon.

An Hour Later: Oh what the hell? On my arm, it's turned into sickly, plasticky sweetness that is pretty gross. On my chest, it's held up much better, still primarily Dorianesque lemon and vanilla, with a hint of blueberry. As time goes on past the hour, the blueberry picks up steam... but it's kind of a fake blueberry, like scratch-n-sniff sticker blueberry.

Overall: I'm not happy with what this turns into on my arm, or that it's such a close cousin to Dorian elsewhere. I was really hoping for blueberry and marshmallow and pie crust (always my favorite part of any pie), but I got mainly lemon instead, and then fake blueberry. Sadface.

Not getting any pastry, which doesn't bother me. The lab's pastry note is horrendous on my skin, so I don't mind at all that it seems to have disappeared here. I'm definitely feeling the blueberry marshmallow thing, but I'm not entirely sure whether I like this scent or not. I do like the marshmallow smell, but it's all overlaid by the hemlock, which makes them smell positively sinister.

Conceptually, I adore this scent. I have a total clown phobia, but marshmallows >>>> my phobia any day. But I'm not sure if I personally want to smell like evil marshmallow cream and the smell of the hemlock legitimately makes me scared, LOL.

Edited by kirsten

The lemon note gives this a lot of zing and brightness, and combined with the marshmallowy vanilla, does remind me a little bit of Dorian! But it's Dorian without the musk and with added marshmallow sweetness, blueberry jam and sugar-crystal crusted pastries. I do not get even the faintest trace of hemlock. It's all dessert, all the time in here! It smells pretty good for the first half hour, but after that, things fall apart, big time. It starts to smell sour yet sickly sweet, fakey, and cloyingly rich. I smell like I went to the kid's corner of the dollar store, grabbed some blue scented lotion with a free plastic cupcake keychain, and slathered it on. I am almost certain that it's the butter and the blueberry notes that are going haywire on me. Oh well! I already have a similar dark berries and pastry scent that works better on me by another company, so Bones Trombone's failure on me is no big loss.

When I first opened my fresh-from-the-lab bottle, I was caught off guard by the Carmex-like smell (which I assume was the hemlock). I guess it's one of those oils that needs a little time to calm down because the astringent scent was totally gone a few weeks later.

Now that it's aged a bit, I get mostly the marshmallow, lemon, and a smidgen of blueberry. To my dismay, no pie crust is present. The marshmallow smells a lot like coconut on my skin. I like it, but it's not really what I was going for.

I'm jealous of those of you who are getting whiffs of lemon curd and flaky crust! ;)

Throw: Medium-strong

Longevity: Great (2-3 hours)

My Rating: Not bad! 3.5/5

at first, this is all lemon-pledgey-punch-to-the-face-blech. but it dries down to a delicious creamy lemony, blueberry pie. i swear i can even get a graham cracker crust smell, with a whipped top. i would swear that there was a slight amount of coconut in there also, but not a suntan lotion coconut, because its good and i usually detest coconut. its so delicious, i want to eat my arm. i'm sooooo glad i bought this off of someone, because it is seriously fantastic. i like it much more than i thought i would, and feel all sticky-sweet awesome.

a blueberry marshmallow cream air is hanging allover me and kind a wafting around my air :wub2:

sooooooooooooo good, I almost would like to get all of the clowns in my hands now :yum: