Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocannon

Honey and Beeswax scents

For beeswax, I can be another one of many to attest to Lights of Men's Lives. I'd also suggest Bard which is primarily honey, vanilla, and wood. It's not listed as having beeswax but I swear it's in there because it has a very similar feel to Lights of Men's Lives to me. I think it might be the "(waxed) lute strings." It's more masculine than "O" in my opinion, but not overtly masculine. It's a cozy scent on me. Sweet, warm.

Edited by SimplySyra

I tested Crib Girls today. Wet it was truly terrible - Honey Lemon cough drops.

But dry, it was beautiful complex honey. The first honey blend from the lab that I am able to wear. Yay!! I would recommend this to anyone looking for a honey blend.

I never thought I'd be a fan of beeswax, but I love Theme in Yellow from the Weenies a couple years back. That one doesn't list beeswax as a note, but I swear it's in there as part of the "candlelight".

Chanukkiyah from the Yules is another favorite of mine. I hope it returns this year as I need to grab a bottle.

There was an old Good Judy blend called "Honey Patch" that was absolutely lovely, and I've been looking for similar BPAL. I'm not expecting a 1:1 dupe or anything, just something that gives me the same wonderful feeling.

So far, and surprisingly, Dragon's Milk has been closest thing I've tried, trading most of resin notes in for the kind of dirty hippie/earthy smelling patchouli, although I have a sneaking suspicion that Honey Patch did have an "amber" or other resinous note in it. I'm still testing my plethora of imps and am also currently awaiting a big order containing bottles and imps with those honey & patchouli (or similar) notes, but any recommendations for the future would be much appreciated.

Really wishing that I had saved my empty to have a better current handle on it, but after leaving next to my bed for nearly a year to evaporate every last whiff every time I needed a pick-me-up, I threw it away. :cry:

The description for Honey Patch archived on ScentBase reads as follows: In the wild, unadulterated lands of the free, grows the honey patchouli tree. Earthy, warm, and golden. Patchouli and two sweet golden honeys.

Oh, and just to avoid duplicates rec's, my pending order contains:

Bottles:

Bright Red Dildo

Dragon's Bone®

Raw Cacao, Chestnut, Honey, and Patchouli

Womb Furie

Imps:

Hetairae

Kill-Devil

Athens

Tlazolteotl

Edited by Arcy

Maybe also Sed Non Satiata. Imp if you like peach.

Did you try Aureus or The Coiled Serpent?

And different, non-patchouli but golden-cinnamony and might be good for layering to get closer: Chimera, Inferno, Bengal.

Thanks, you two! I have an aged imp of Sed Non Satiata, tested it, and it is potentially bottle worthy! The thing is, I'm really, incredibly allergic to just about every plant closely related to geraniums. Geranium oil touching my skin is very not pretty unless you like skin to be the color of a freshly boiled lobster. I'm not sure if the Lab uses a synthetic for geraniums, or if it is a tiny amount, or if that oil just evaporated first, but SNS did not give me a reaction at all, so I'm kind of waffling on getting a fresh bottle.

I don't have proper notes for Imp, which I tested last month, but I remember it being all gross Yankee Candle. I guess stone fruit may do that on me? Maybe only when paired with beeswax/wax? I tested an imp of Frumious Bandersnatch a million years ago and it did that as well. :cry:

Forgot to mention that Sudha Segara is one of my all-time-faves as well, just bought a replacement bottle, though that's mostly sweet/spicy ginger beer on me. It is incredibly helpful for getting through anxiety attacks, so Spice/Honey rec's are welcome.

Adding Aureus, The Coiled Serpent, Chimera, Inferno, Bengal, The Lights of Men's Lives, and Loved to Death to my wishlist! The one I'm going to make. After I write a list of all the frimps I still have to test! :confused:

There was an old Good Judy blend called "Honey Patch" that was absolutely lovely, and I've been looking for similar BPAL. I'm not expecting a 1:1 dupe or anything, just something that gives me the same wonderful feeling.

So far, and surprisingly, Dragon's Milk has been closest thing I've tried, trading most of resin notes in for the kind of dirty hippie/earthy smelling patchouli, although I have a sneaking suspicion that Honey Patch did have an "amber" or other resinous note in it. I'm still testing my plethora of imps and am also currently awaiting a big order containing bottles and imps with those honey & patchouli (or similar) notes, but any recommendations for the future would be much appreciated.

Really wishing that I had saved my empty to have a better current handle on it, but after leaving next to my bed for nearly a year to evaporate every last whiff every time I needed a pick-me-up, I threw it away. :cry:

The description for Honey Patch archived on ScentBase reads as follows: In the wild, unadulterated lands of the free, grows the honey patchouli tree. Earthy, warm, and golden. Patchouli and two sweet golden honeys.

Oh, and just to avoid duplicates rec's, my pending order contains:Bottles:

Bright Red Dildo

Dragon's Bone®

Womb FurieImps:

Hetairae

Kill-Devil

Athens

Tlazolteotl

I'm not a patchouli fan, but I can definitely recommend Bengal for spiced honey. It gave me a very strong "raised red welts" skin reaction, though, so you may want to be cautious. Kil-Devil is very molasses-rum with hints of something green from the sugarcane, and improves with aging (my imp was rather meh at first, but when I pulled it out to retest after a year, it was lovely).

You might also want to check out a few of the Carnival Diabolique snake pit blends; all of them have a the same snake oil base as Womb Fury, with a variety of different additional notes (Saw-Scaled Viper reminded me a little of a non-skin-burning Bengal before my cinnamon-amping powers turned it into red hots candy).

I'm not a patchouli fan, but I can definitely recommend Bengal for spiced honey. It gave me a very strong "raised red welts" skin reaction, though, so you may want to be cautious. Kil-Devil is very molasses-rum with hints of something green from the sugarcane, and improves with aging (my imp was rather meh at first, but when I pulled it out to retest after a year, it was lovely).

You might also want to check out a few of the Carnival Diabolique snake pit blends; all of them have a the same snake oil base as Womb Fury, with a variety of different additional notes (Saw-Scaled Viper reminded me a little of a non-skin-burning Bengal before my cinnamon-amping powers turned it into red hots candy).

Wow, thanks! I'll be sure to look out for burning when I test Bengal, cinnamon or something similar has done that for me before (specifically in Arcana's Queen Crossbones) that aging doesn't seem to diminish.

Thanks for the tip on the Snakes, aged O and Snake Oil are my all-time-GC-faves, of course. I actually own/owned the entire old Snake Pit but never got around to testing anything other than Boomslang (the story about why I own tons of aged BPAL that is unworn is so long and boring), which I've used up roughly 3/5ths of that bottle, pending this return. I also traded or sold away Green Tea Viper on the old LiveJournal community a while ago, so I've already stocked up on the 2016 replacements for both of those. The entire rest of the old Pit (minus Anaconda, which I have tested gently) are my top testing priority for next week because really, what better time if I fall in love?

Wow, thanks! I'll be sure to look out for burning when I test Bengal, cinnamon or something similar has done that for me before (specifically in Arcana's Queen Crossbones) that aging doesn't seem to diminish.

Thanks for the tip on the Snakes, aged O and Snake Oil are my all-time-GC-faves, of course. I actually own/owned the entire old Snake Pit but never got around to testing anything other than Boomslang (the story about why I own tons of aged BPAL that is unworn is so long and boring), which I've used up roughly 3/5ths of that bottle, pending this return. I also traded or sold away Green Tea Viper on the old LiveJournal community a while ago, so I've already stocked up on the 2016 replacements for both of those. The entire rest of the old Pit (minus Anaconda, which I have tested gently) are my top testing priority for next week because really, what better time if I fall in love?

Yup, Bengal is pretty awesome, but I can't put it on right after I shower or the application site will get all red. If I wait a bit for my pores to close back up, it's fine. I also thought Saw-Scaled was a relative.

Oh, and just to avoid duplicates rec's, my pending order contains:

Bottles:

Bright Red Dildo

Dragon's Bone®

Womb Furie

Imps:

Hetairae

Kill-Devil

Athens

Tlazolteotl

Have you thought about trying to hunt down some Tricksy from the Post? Not sure how hard it is to find, but I think it's been made in bath oil and hair gloss as well as perfume. Patchouli, aquilaria aguillocha, and Manuka honey.

Have you thought about trying to hunt down some Tricksy from the Post? Not sure how hard it is to find, but I think it's been made in bath oil and hair gloss as well as perfume. Patchouli, aquilaria aguillocha, and Manuka honey.

I didn't even think of trying to search for things from the Post, oh no! Infinite expansion of possibilities! Do you know how strongly the "honey" in that smells like Manuka, because I find that to be rather medicinal and unpleasant to smell, eat, and wear. (It is an excellent wound dressing.)

I'm also not sure what aquilaria aguillocha is, Google is returning "aquilaria agallocha", which is Agarwood or Oud, I guess? Probably synthetic, since the tree is a protected species in many countries? Can't say I'm familiar with it, but I'll add Tricksy to ye olde wishlist, and go find a review thread. (Catalogued all my collected imps today, woo!)

Thanks everyone for being so helpful, and do let me know if something else turns up. I haven't even considered LE Lab oils or Post blends at all yet.

I didn't even think of trying to search for things from the Post, oh no! Infinite expansion of possibilities! Do you know how strongly the "honey" in that smells like Manuka, because I find that to be rather medicinal and unpleasant to smell, eat, and wear. (It is an excellent wound dressing.)

I'm also not sure what aquilaria aguillocha is, Google is returning "aquilaria agallocha", which is Agarwood or Oud, I guess? Probably synthetic, since the tree is a protected species in many countries? Can't say I'm familiar with it, but I'll add Tricksy to ye olde wishlist, and go find a review thread. (Catalogued all my collected imps today, woo!)

Thanks everyone for being so helpful, and do let me know if something else turns up. I haven't even considered LE Lab oils or Post blends at all yet.

I just got my hands on a bottle of Visions of Autumn III and immediately I thought of you, because to me this is the loveliest Patch and Honey scent I've tried. There's vanilla in it as well, and cinnamon is a listed note, but I'm not smelling any. Anyway, just wanted to mention it in case you hadn't thought of it yet. Its smooth and warm and lovely.

I just got my hands on a bottle of Visions of Autumn III and immediately I thought of you, because to me this is the loveliest Patch and Honey scent I've tried. There's vanilla in it as well, and cinnamon is a listed note, but I'm not smelling any. Anyway, just wanted to mention it in case you hadn't thought of it yet. Its smooth and warm and lovely.

Thank you! I'll add it to my wishlist!

Raw Cacao, Chestnut, Honey & Patchouli went more like "Patchouli, Patchouli, Patchouli & The Tiniest Drop of the Other Three Notes" on me, so I was sad. Visions of Autumn III will cheer me up, I'm certain!

Beeswax fans, you must try Bunraku Theater! Unless pumpkin or tobacco are death notes for you, it's a lovely beeswax forward scent. Not gonna lie, I ordered two and I hesitated to post this because I want all the bottles for myself but it's too lovely not to mention.

Beeswax fans, you must try Bunraku Theater! Unless pumpkin or tobacco are death notes for you, it's a lovely beeswax forward scent. Not gonna lie, I ordered two and I hesitated to post this because I want all the bottles for myself but it's too lovely not to mention.

I'd be more worried about the Hay absolute, to be honest. A lot of people are allergic.

I'd be more worried about the Hay absolute, to be honest. A lot of people are allergic.

I've never been allergic to a BPAL (totally surprising, I'm allergic to everything else!) so I can't speak to the allergy factor, but it's actually the combo of hay and beeswax that makes me LOVE Bunraku so much! So glad I got a bottle. I know I will wear the heck out of it in late summer and early fall.

I've never been allergic to a BPAL (totally surprising, I'm allergic to everything else!) so I can't speak to the allergy factor, but it's actually the combo of hay and beeswax that makes me LOVE Bunraku so much! So glad I got a bottle. I know I will wear the heck out of it in late summer and early fall.

My only bad allergy experiences were with the Dead Leaves notes (which I think was probably psychosomatic - I'm allergic to leaf mold, not leaves themselves, but the dead leaf smell was so realistic that I must have subconsciously expected leaf mold) and the weed/hemp note in Ask the Nearest Hippie.

I have to add The Sharing of The Cake HG from the Post to this thread - honey cakes....../swoon.

I was going to post the same thing! It is so yummy! :wub2:

Anyone have suggestions for scents that contain honey with musk and/or amber? That scent combination is absolutely intoxicating to me. I have Lady Una, Swift as Light, Blooming Flowers of Spring, Faun, and recently got Vagina Treasure hair gloss. I love the slight skankiness of the hair gloss.

Anyone have suggestions for scents that contain honey with musk and/or amber? That scent combination is absolutely intoxicating to me. I have Lady Una, Swift as Light, Blooming Flowers of Spring, Faun, and recently got Vagina Treasure hair gloss. I love the slight skankiness of the hair gloss.

I veer to the lighter, sweet side of the scent spectrum. So your tastes might vary! These are my personal favorites:

Blossoms in Springtime

Vanilla bean and vanilla blossom, golden honey, antiqued amber, beeswax, copal, lotus blossom, and helichrysum.

L'Estate

Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle.

The following may be of interest depending on your chemistry and scent preferences:

Anactoria

Golden amber, white honey, red currant, daemonorops, kush, and Arabian musk.

Imaginer

honeyed patchouli, Madagascan black pepper, fossilized amber oil, beeswax absolute, massoia bark, Egyptian myrrh, and a thin thread of blood-red saffron.

Mrs. Bunce

Tobacco leaf, amber, sweet golden musk, blonde sandalwood, and hay sugar.

O

Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

Imaginer

honeyed patchouli, Madagascan black pepper, fossilized amber oil, beeswax absolute, massoia bark, Egyptian myrrh, and a thin thread of blood-red saffron.

Tomoe Gozen

Red currant, golden amber, blackberry, honey, and pink pepper.

A Wonderful Light

Three radiant ambers with honey, linden blossom, bourbon vanilla, and orange zest.

There are also scents like Cave of Treasures, The Bride,andThe White Witch which contain honey and amber but are more supporting background notes than dominant components, so I've neglected to include them.

Edited by celestia

Thank you Celestia for the recommendations! I have a few on that list that I haven't tried in a while, so I will have to take them out and re-test them! And the others I'm going to go read some reviews and see what I can find. L'Estate has been on my wishlist forever, and I recently snagged a bottle, so I'm excited to see how it smells! It sounds like we like a lot of the same scents!