Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocannon

Honey and Beeswax scents

Honey for some reason is a component that one in bpal always gives me fantastic throw and lasting power. I'm also a big fan of against idleness and mischief, jezebel, Doc constantine's sassafras strengthener, and there are a couple of others that I can't name right off my head (O mead Moon) and I would love to try the various honey scents in rappicini's garden.

OK, BPAL's honey note is always a mixed bag for me- sometimes it's nice, other times its waxy or mixes poorly. My favorite, by far, has been the honey-cakes in Cockaigne. Are there any others, GC or LE, that people have thought have that same honey note?

OK, BPAL's honey note is always a mixed bag for me- sometimes it's nice, other times its waxy or mixes poorly. My favorite, by far, has been the honey-cakes in Cockaigne. Are there any others, GC or LE, that people have thought have that same honey note?

I notice that the notes paired with honey influences the honey. I.e, the storax in Anubis makes the honey powder-like and the elemi in Pandy makes it lollipop-esque. Perhaps you like vanilla/milk notes with your honey for a gourmand feel.

Found a few with similarities to Cockaigne on the website:

Dana O' Shee: Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains

Dragon's Milk: Dragons blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Milk Moon: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

Mead Moon: Golden mead, fermented with gruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

Perhaps you can try layering (Eat Me or Yule Cookies) with (Honey SN or Honey moon)?

bumping this thread

love the honeycomb in No 93 engine, but getting through the wet phases isn't my jam

any ideas for a more pure honey comb scent or honey wax scents with little or minimal intereference from other resins

combo with floral (if it isn't WOAH, HELLO floral!) or herbal is okay

if its smells like the fresh honey out of a raw honey comb, that would be perfect

please don't say single note honey, as I would have to pawn a kidney to get that

bumping this thread

love the honeycomb in No 93 engine, but getting through the wet phases isn't my jam

any ideas for a more pure honey comb scent or honey wax scents with little or minimal intereference from other resins

if its smells like the fresh honey out of a raw honey comb, that would be perfect

please don't say single note honey, as I would have to pawn a kidney to get that

Quintessence of Dust is very beeswax-forward, at least on me.

bumping this thread

Quintessence of Dust is very beeswax-forward, at least on me.

I was totally eyeballing that oil. TY! So many oilz to try...

Hanerot Halalu gets some comparisons to No. 03 Engine, though I personally don't get any honey from it - just wonderful beeswax and a touch of smoke and oil. You could try layering it with a scent that's primarily honey and see if that does the trick?

Honey for some reason is a component that one in bpal always gives me fantastic throw and lasting power. I'm also a big fan of against idleness and mischief, jezebel, Doc constantine's sassafras strengthener, and there are a couple of others that I can't name right off my head (O mead Moon) and I would love to try the various honey scents in rappicini's garden.

I've also noticed that honey scents usually have great lasting power. And I too recommend Against Idleness and Mischief. To me it smells like chamomile tea with a big spoonful of honey.

Hellcat is like boozy marzipan with honey mead. So yummy. :)

Lights of Men's Lives is awesome, a pure beeswax scent, just like beeswax candles.

Skuld is lots of honey with ylang ylang and musk. Defututa is very similar to O + spicy florals.

If you don't mind a little apricot and a little elemi, Pandy is a very honey-rich scent. Note the description says honeycomb instead of honey, for me a honeycomb note is more realistic. Some reviews say it's like sniffing out of honey jars. But, and this depends on skin chemistry, the apricot may make it a little "lollipop-y". For me, it's a delicious orange blossom honey perfume. Its GC but unimpable.

http://www.bpal.org/topic/78250-pandy/

Based on reviews, this will rely heavily on your skin chemistry, but on me, Meliai ("Ash manna and ambrosial honey") was citrusy honey when wet and dried down to a beautiful, very predominately honey scent. With great sillage and lasting power, too. There's resin in there making the honey note more complex, but it's definitely minimal and a lot more clear-smelling than the resin in No. 93 Engine, which strikes me as more musty. It was discontinued (though fairly recently I think) and doesn't seem to have been very popular when it was around, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find.

Ooh, just the thread I was looking for.

I've been seeking a masculine honey scent: hopefully with green notes, but looking to avoid patchouli if possible.

So far, Nostrum Remedium has been the closest match. I'm waiting to try Hemlock Honey, Bard, and Deadly Nightshade Honey, and have a bit of Marche Funebre on the way.

O and Dragon's Milk were right out, but I'm kind of interested in Mead Moon now. No. 93 seems like it would be a royal pain to get hold of.

O and Dragon's Milk were right out, but I'm kind of interested in Mead Moon now. No. 93 seems like it would be a royal pain to get hold of.

With the caveat that I tend to amp honey, I wouldn't call Mead Moon masculine. I wouldn't call it feminine, either, but in my mind it's closer to that side of the spectrum. It's a deep, rich, sensual, sexy honey. Can a man pull it off? Absolutely, so if it's for a man don't avoid it. But if it's for a woman, I don't think it'll leave the "masculine" impression you might be looking for. On the other hand, it's not like it's floral or perfumey, so "not-feminine" might be good enough.

I haven't tried all of these, but here are options that stand out as potentially more masculine based on notes/reviews (which are linked in their names):

Amicitia: White sage and chaparral with sweet cedar, caramelized honey, warm fig, and carnation blossoms.

Hal: Saffron-infused bourbon vanilla, blackened honey, Kashmir wood, Atlas cedar, ambrette seed, hay, and Egyptian jasmine absolute. (Sounds like this one depends on whether jasmine can play nicely on the wearer's skin.)

Luperci: Raw, down and dirty patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk.

Marche Funèbre en Memoire de Maxamilieni: Juniper wood, styrax, leather accord, blackened honey, and amber.

Ogun: Heavy and dark cigar tobacco, gin and juniper, melon, chili pepper and a touch of honey.

This is Your Wilderness: Honeyed patchouli with cypress, black pine, and tobacco absolute.

For me, Avunculus was almost all honey, although I think honey and beeswax are notes I tend to amp, so YMMV. I also remember the Hanerot Halalu I tried (it must have been 2008 or so?) being all wax&honey on me.

I haven't tried all of these, but here are options that stand out as potentially more masculine based on notes/reviews (which are linked in their names):

Wow: thank you for the very thorough recommendations! March Funebre is on the way, and it's not the first time someone had mentioned Hal, so it's most likely time to suck it up and grab a bottle.

This is for someone else who's quite comfortable with himself, so it really just has to be not-especially-feminine rather than DUDE ALERT. I'm definitely going to give Ogun and Amicita a go (fig and honey! on nom nom I just made a batch of honey-roasted spiced figs to dress desserts for the holiday) and keep the others on the short list.

Gotcha. In that case, you might try tracking down some Mead Moon - at least on me, it's deeeeeelicious without being cloying. Definitely a lot more honey than some of the others - Amicitia was mostly woods on me, and Luperci more of a sexy, musky patchouli with only a bit of sweetness.

If you don't mind a little apricot and a little elemi, Pandy is a very honey-rich scent. Note the description says honeycomb instead of honey, for me a honeycomb note is more realistic. Some reviews say it's like sniffing out of honey jars. But, and this depends on skin chemistry, the apricot may make it a little "lollipop-y". For me, it's a delicious orange blossom honey perfume. Its GC but unimpable.

http://www.bpal.org/topic/78250-pandy/

On me it is apricot honey rather than floral, and a scent I am quite fond of.

Also in the GC, Half-Elf (White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk) has a nice beeswax/honey note without being overly feminine.

Just found this thread -- saving it for later when I have more time. Honey scents are some of my favorites but I haven't found too many true ones that don't turn to powder on me. Looking forward to looking through some of these recs...

So O is my holy grail honey scent but as it has been out of stock for some time I was wondering what is closest to it? I think the honey amber combo is what gets me- any recommendations?

LA Petite Mort smells similar to me. Maybe Dana O'Shee.

The Cat is a gorgeous honey-tinged slightly musky incense. It's the only honey scent from bpal that I have been able to wear. The only thing I can compare it to is O, but it is somehow simultaneously darker and less heavy/soporific than O.

ETA: @Fury - this might be a good O alternative! Three of the four notes that seem to respond very differently on different skin (honey, dark musk, and cedar -- benzoin seems to be a safer bet for a lot of people), but on me it is the closest blend to O that I have tried.

Edited by gentle-twig