Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocannon

Honey and Beeswax scents

Dana O'Shee smells rather like oatmeal soap to me (in a good way), so I'd forgotten that it included honey.

Haven't tried Against Idleness and Mischief or The Lights of Men's Lives, but they sound promising.

Ooo of the yules that just came out... two of the little match girl scents strike me as subtle honey.

Thousands of lights (beewax type honey and incense) and a wonderful light (citrusy wood honey)

As well as Beautiful and Adored from Frankenstein. That one is (at least on my skin) a very subtle scent in general, unlike the other two. And was quite delicious and womanly.

Against Idleness & Mischief is a subtle honey scent. I hate to mention this because it's a prototype and not easy to find, but another one that has a light, polleny honey is Half Elf v5. Now that I think of it, that proto has a similar honey note to the one in Lady Una. It's my go-to Summer scent.

From the GC, Skuld is a good, non-fruity, non-boozy honey scent. And I agree with the recommendations of Against Idleness and Mischief and The Lights of Men's Lives.

I'm curious about this "beeswax" note. Is it smokey? or sweet? Is it light or strong? Is there different types of beeswax? Please enlightment me with all your beeswax knowledge fellow beeswax lovers...

I read through the thread but I want more, lol. ;)

I'm curious about this "beeswax" note. Is it smokey? or sweet? Is it light or strong? Is there different types of beeswax? Please enlightment me with all your beeswax knowledge fellow beeswax lovers...

I read through the thread but I want more, lol. ;)

It's well, beeswax. Like in a candle. Not sure I can describe it if you haven't smelt it before.

Is it a strong sweet smell? I'm just wondering if as a foodie I would love it?

Beeswax is the wax bees make to store honey in. It is not sweet, but is often blended with sweet notes. Have you ever smelled a beeswax candle? Real ones are a dull golden color. The BPAL beeswax scent smells exactly like that (because it is made from actual beeswax).

I can't wear strong sweet smells (they make me nauseous) and honey smells like baby powder once it hits my skin, but I love beeswax blends. So, while you may end up loving beeswax, it won't be because it is sweet or foody.

Ooh thanks that answers my question. I love the smell of beeswax candles so now I am intrigued. Thanks ;)

Edited by Vanilla323

I don't know if this will help you, but the Lab's honey and beeswax notes smell pretty much identical on the drydown on my skin. I can't tell the difference after about 30 minutes - they're both a sweet honey-ish scent, though sometimes the honey goes more powdery than the beeswax will. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but if you've tried and liked the Lab's honey I don't know if you can go wrong with the Lab's beeswax.

BPAL has lots of interesting-looking perfumes that use honey as a note, but I'm not certain that BPAL's honey likes me. Or maybe it likes me too much, in all the wrong ways. :P

My luck with honey notes in perfume has been mixed - the honey + wine combination in Athens and Delphi turns to flavored honey sticks or molten fruit hard candy on me and eats the rest of the components, the honey + cherry in Blood Kiss is a bit similar but the other ingredients manage to hold their own, I remember liking O the single time I had a chance to try it, and I've had good luck with a couple of honey blends from another company. Beeswax seems to be fine, at least with assertive ingredients (as in No. 93 Engine).

I'm looking for blends in which the honey is detectable but doesn't take over and make me smell like I bathe in mead. I prefer slightly "toasted", caramelish honeys over syrupy honeys.

As mentioned above, I don't have the best track record with honey + wine combos, and I've had bad luck with lily. Otherwise, I'm not picky.

I find that honey can have an edge to it that is a little like wine and the honey and wine amplify each other's muchness, if that makes any sense.

Hand of Glory - is this peppery beeswax scent that simulates a burning flame, as if your skin caught aflame. The drydown is delish :wub2:

Edited by theredkilt

Seconding this: Rappaccini's Garden now has a section at the very bottom called Rappaccini's Apiary, with 11 different types of honey.

Hemlock Honey is almost a top 10 for me. Gorgeous.

Oleander Honey is a step down from that but still 'pretty good.'

Yellow Jessamine Honey is too sweet/florally, and gets a resounding 'eh.'

The incomparably lovely ScaryDoll is sending me Horse Chestnut Honey as we shriek, will try to remember to report back. Edit: a little too much chestnut for yours truly, especially when first on.

The Lights of Men's Lives is a lovely, warm, subtle sweetness.

O is, to my mind, overrated, but does better with aging. (*ducks*)

Edited by fasn8me21

Thanks for my newer adoration of Womb Furie, honey is something I have been wanting to look more into. I went through my current scents that play honey in a way I like, and these are the ones that stand out:

O

Cockaigne

Les Bijoux

Giant Vulva

Kitty

Horse Chestnut Honey

Dragon's Milk

White Rabbit

and while I love Beautiful and Adored, the honey gets lost on me.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time reading through this thread front to back, but if anyone has any scents they would immediately recommend, please share!

I *enthusiastically* second the vote for Pussy. It's pure honey and beeswax on me, and it throws and lasts like whoa!

I had a troupemate who kept bees and made this honey and beeswax body wash for us for Yule one year. Pussy is the oil version of that. Just lush and gorgeous. You can almost see yourself all glowy gold and gilded like an Oscar statue. :D

I was quite surprised to find that one of my favourite scents is Against Idleness and Mischief! I would never have chosen this scent to try, but a lovely swapper sent a frimp of it with my package, and amazingly it has become my favourite! It turns mostly honey on my skin, with a bit of the chamomile coming through. The honey is definitely what I love about it, though.

What else should I try? I am particularly interested in finding a scent that has honey and tonka, possibly honey and spices, and perhaps even honey and apple as main notes.

Also, are there any winter scents with honey? I am still looking for the perfect "ice/snow" scent. For some unfortunate reason, The Snow Storm was horrid on me, despite its positive reviews. Nuclear Winter was too acidic, Snow White too flowery, and Dust of Snow was close but not exactly what I am looking for. I absolutely love Ondurdis but haven't been able to find a bottle. I would love to find a winter scent with pine, snow, honey and perhaps vanilla.

Thank you!! :wub2:

Edited by Irish Fae

That was one of the first I tried as well. :)

I'd recommend..

Les Bijoux - Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

White Rabbit - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Well, its not wintery, but It's amazing...Womb Furie is Snake Oil with 3 different honeys. It is stupid good. It definitely hits the honey with spices categorization.

Edited by Wren12

I recommend Lady Una: Honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices. It's honey musk, but its very prominent on me. It's my favorite honey scent.

If you are a fan of snake oil then you should try Womb Fury: Snake Oil and three types of honey.

Have you tried O?: Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla. It's not my favorite honey scent but you may like it

There is also Door which I have never tried but always wanted to: Golden honey, nicotiana, blue chamomile, and cistus.It also has chamomile in it.

I hope that helps :smile:

How about Dragon's Milk? It's quite popular and has honeyed vanilla, and Dragon's Blood resin can be spicy on some people (on others it's floral).

These don't have honey, but I also wonder if you might like Golden Priapus or Tombstone since you like vanilla and pine together....

Dragons Milk is an all time fave of mine, good recommendation.

Lady Una, despite the fact that everything should have been awesome on me, did not work, I think itand O, which again, should have worked, have the same honey note.

I'll second the White Rabbit!! Its morphs into a pure honey smell on my skin after about an hour :lol: