Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocannon

Honey and Beeswax scents

So as it happens, I'm obsessed with Beth's honey note, particularly in Hetairae. I'm considering grabbing Anactoria 2010 because it's got white honey, but I'm curious as to how white honey differs in smell from the regular honey note. Has anyone tried other blends that have white honey and noticed a difference?

So as it happens, I'm obsessed with Beth's honey note, particularly in Hetairae. I'm considering grabbing Anactoria 2010 because it's got white honey, but I'm curious as to how white honey differs in smell from the regular honey note. Has anyone tried other blends that have white honey and noticed a difference?

I find that white honey is a bit lighter and "cleaner"; it's less likely to go sour or boozy on me. That's my favorite of all Beth's honey notes. :yum:

(There's a whole thread on honey somewhere around here; you should check that out!)

Here is the thread about honey from the Recommendations section, so you might want to look through there. Before I went to bed, I put on some Light of Men's Lives from the Marchen category and it is one of my favorite honey scents. Don't let the description scare you because it mentions wax and smoke and I'm into heavy smoke, but neither I, nor many of the reviewers found it smoky, but rather delicately honeyed.

Anactoria happens to be the only scent with honey in it that I've tried and been able to wear..(it's the only white honey I've tried, too). I think it must be because white honey is not as heavy and cloying as " honey honey". O is so thick with honey that it makes me nauseated, but I really like Anactoria.

Portalkat: I love LoML too, but on me the beeswax shows up as actual beeswax and not honey at all, and I get just a touch of smoke. So maybe the white honey isn't HONEY enough for my skin? Hmm.

And thanks for the link to the honey thread, I definitely forgot that existed.

I found just five scents that specifically listed "white honey" as a note - Anactoria of course, The Oblation, Faiza, Agrhat-Bat-Mahlat, and Itaso Kansai Nenkan Joro No Fuzoku. Off the top of my head, I can't say if the white honey struck me any differently in the two that I own (Faiza & Itaso), since I don't wear them often. I know that Beth does get her hands on honey single notes that have different qualities, the same way that different honeys can have subtly different flavors. Some can be a little more herbal, some can be really heavy and sweet, some can be a little floral - I got lucky and had the opportunity to sniff a few of them once.

Hetairae is one of my all-time favorite BPAL scents. I always tell people who like it to try Sed Non Satiata and Bien Loin D'ici - to me they have a similar feel as well as sharing some common notes here and there. And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt is another one that falls in that family to me, rich and complex and a little more on the resinous side. If it's the fig & honey that are appealing to you, Eden has fig and honey but with a completely different feel. It's a fresh green fig with coconut instead of a rich ripe fig.

What BPAL blends have a honey note similar to that in Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic products? (in particular the honey in the body butter)

Edited by reconditarmonia

What BPAL blends have a honey note similar to that in Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic products? (in particular the honey in the body butter)

To me, Obatala smells exactly like the Thoroughly Therapeutic Hand Cream, I've never tried the body butter though, so I'm not sure if it's an exact match for you. :)

I was wondering, recently there are these new honey scents in the rapaccini's garden, and I was wondering, what are the differences...

Can someone give any recomendations as to what to order...

I've heard that the Chesnut Honey is very nutty, but, what if one is looking for something smokey, fruity or floral?

I love the Lab's mead note in Mead Moon and Hellcat. Any recommendations for other mead scents to try?

Delphi is one of my favorites.

I was wondering, recently there are these new honey scents in the rapaccini's garden, and I was wondering, what are the differences...

I've heard that the Chesnut Honey is very nutty, but, what if one is looking for something smokey, fruity or floral?

Tobacco Honey is pretty much what it says on the tin to me.

Deadly Nightshade Honey is almost a dead ringer for Door, or was when I first tested it.

Black Hellebore Honey if I recall correctly is very green.

Those are the only one's I've tried so far.

Chestnut Honey has a bit of a smoky/roasted quality to it.

The most floral honeys, in my opinion, are Yellow Jessamine Honey (strong jasmine + honey smell) and Oleander Honey (clean white floral + honey). A lot of other people got a fruity-floral feel from Daphne Honey. I definitely found Tobacco Honey to be more of a clean tobacco flower scent that a sweet, smoky pipe tobacco. The other honeys all seemed to be oddly green and/or soapy smelling on my skin.

Horse Chestnut Honey reminded me of O, but drier.

Deadly Nightshade Honey was a very green honey, but with a hint of sweetness.

That's just how they went on me, though! YMMV.

I've loved all of the Rappaccini's Apiary scents that I've tried (Daphne, Deadly Nightshade, Yellow Jessamine, Tobacco).

And I'm surprised not to see more love for Door in this thread. On my skin it's an incredibly rich, huffworthy golden honey made just a bit austere by the addition of the herbals -- nicotiana, blue cistus, chamomile. Mr. Mirasol refers to it as a "fancy" smell when it's wet, and when it's dry he just finds reasons to nuzzle me. :)

I've loved all of the Rappaccini's Apiary scents that I've tried (Daphne, Deadly Nightshade, Yellow Jessamine, Tobacco).

And I'm surprised not to see more love for Door in this thread. On my skin it's an incredibly rich, huffworthy golden honey made just a bit austere by the addition of the herbals -- nicotiana, blue cistus, chamomile. Mr. Mirasol refers to it as a "fancy" smell when it's wet, and when it's dry he just finds reasons to nuzzle me. :)

:lol: Actually I'm surprised now that you mention it, that I haven't professed my love for Door here. I sure have in every other thread it seems. :wub2:

Well here's a snippet of what I had to say about Door in the hidden treasures thread:

Even though she's got positive reviews overall, she's never been posted [in the hidden treasures thread] and for me Door is just absolutely perfect and beautiful in every way.

Sometimes I find it hard to test out new scents when they arrive, because I would rather be wearing Door.

Whenever I do find another scent-love, and I begin to think,

"Maybe Door isn't as good as I remember. Maybe it's changed. Maybe I don't really like it as much as I think I do."

I try her on again, and fall in love all over. :wub2:

She is my signature scent, the only BPAL my SO can recognize by sniff, and everything else is just for the sake of exploration, and variety (which she tolerates, as long as I always come back to her). ;)

People covered smokey and floral. I'd like to mention Dorian as my nominee for Fruity.

I am on a honey kick right now. Using a honey cream after my shower leaves me smelling like the inside of a beehive. Swoon.

but that's not enough - now I want a perfume to layer on top of this. I adore the bpal blends I have but none are honey. I'm still new to this whole thing and I'm wondering... does anyone know of a great honey blend? Like true honey. NO almond. Blech, hate almond. Wouldn't mind a citrus and honey so long as the honey is the dominant scent.

Can't do musks, patchouli, woodsy, etc. Gives me horrid migraine.

So basically, just straight up honey if possible. ooo... some of my favorites have rose so maybe honey and rose? I dunno.

Thanks!

The "straight up honey" scent that will inevitably be repeated is O. I love it. And it lasts quite long. aroused.gif I'd grab an imp of this for sure.

There's tons of variations though. Door is really nice too but herbal. Rappaccini's Garden has a bunch of variations too.

Here's a Thread that might help: http://www.bpal.org/topic/26015-honey-and-beeswax-scents/

Edited by o0SnowDrop0o

I adore O too. There is also this one, and its a whole-lotta-honey

"CRIB GIRLS

Situated on of the lowest rungs in the Red Light District's hierarchy, the crib girls solicited from their windows and doorways, entertaining their clients in sparsely furnished, dingy two-room apartments.

Seven honeys under one unkempt roof, with fiery-tart cubeb and dusty cardamom."

It's hard to find a singular note honey from the collection.

Hmm..I've tried them all.. which one smells like pure honey? Most closely for me was Horse Chestnut honey from Rappaccini's Apiary. I've eaten really chestnut honey before and this is an exact match. You may also like Womb Furie. It's got 3 honeys blended with Snake Oil. I find it very dominant on the honey part.

O always turns powdery on the drydown on my skin, but I agree it's a good honey recommendation. The wet phase was still wonderful.

Some loose honey related recs that I love:

Hellcat (sweet boozy honey with hazelnut)

Dana O'Shee (milk and honey)

Cockaigne (honey coated pastries)

Hetairae (honeycomb, clove and ylang ylang mostly.. this was my 1st love!)

No. 93 Engine (warn golden wood and lemon honey..gender-neutral)