Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rocannon

Honey and Beeswax scents

I have to jump on the Hand of Glory wagon here - beeswax lovers, you are denying yourselves what is probably your Grail if you haven't tried it. It strikes a really great balance between sweet and this dry-woody quality. I don't get a bit of leather from it, which is the note that was keeping me from trying it before!

Although I still don't think that for me, HoG could bump Ichabod off his throne. The thing with IC is that there are some prominent floral and other notes there that may not be everyone's cup of tea (har de har har ;) )

and I agree with all the Hanerot Halalu praise, the beeswax note is phenomenal!

i *adore* Luperci 08's beeswax. That smells light and green and supersexy without being in-your-face about it. It smells like beeswax and and warm green fields.

I've been wondering about beeswax, I like the scent, but really like Lush's Ultrabland scent.

Like clover honey... not like HIWTK...(hate that smell, so sickly sweet...)

Which ones of the ones you've talked of, could be more simmilar to the first, and less to the last)

Hey, bumping this thread with a question :) ^^

Okay i am looking for something kinda specific.....

An oil with cream, or honey (though both is okay too) tones that does NOT smell foody in any way, exclusing Katrina Van Tassle (who is already my favorite but i am looking for something new ^^)

Hand of Glory has this beeswaxy-honey quality that is offset by dry leather (I can't wear leather myself, so it didn't work on me, but it might be a good one for you). I also thought of Ichabod Crane, which has cream and beeswax/honey notes but nothing foody - a very unusual blend but I find it lovely. And Hanerot Halalu is a warm, waxy honey that I love!

I find beeswax and honey notes to have a lot in common, so even though I think all of these listed beeswax rather than honey in the official Lab description I get a lot of honey on my skin. I'll be interested to see what other people have to say and what they suggest :D

How about L'Estate bath oil? There is beeswax absolute in it, which translates to the most gorgeous waft of honey. When I use it as an after-shower moisturizer, that's all I can smell around me all day long. And it's not foody at all. It's more of a sweet floral.

Hey, bumping this thread with a question :) ^^

Okay i am looking for something kinda specific.....

An oil with cream, or honey (though both is okay too) tones that does NOT smell foody in any way, exclusing Katrina Van Tassle (who is already my favorite but i am looking for something new ^^)

The first thing that leapt to mind in the GC is Alice - have you tried that one yet?

Alice
(Mad Tea Party) - Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

A similar scent from the Carnaval is:

Zarita, the Doll Girl
(Carnaval Diabolique) - White carnation, iris, orange blossom, and sugared cream.

I also find Dana O'Shee to be very similar to both Alice and Zarita, but I think that it might be too foody for you:

Dana O'Shee
(Bewitching Brews) - Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

For something different, I would recommend Blood Kiss. It starts out with a blast of cherries and vetiver (the vetiver really keeps it from smelling like food on me), but it dries down to a creamy honey scent:

Blood Kiss
(Bewitching Brews) - Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

Others to consider:

Athens
(Wanderlust) - Voluptuous myrrh, golden honey, red wine, and sweet flowers.

Hetairae
(Ars Amatoria) - Golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang.

Jezebel
(Ars Amatoria) - Honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

Oh, and I forgot:

No. 93 Engine
(Steamworks) - Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage.

The beeswax note in this one is divine and gives it an orange blossom honey-ish feel, especially when aged.

Edited by Apple

Anubis is pure, strong golden honey for a while. The strongest honey scent I've ever smelled, as soon as I opened the imp I felt like the whole vicinity smelled like honey. When it dries down the honey is blended with a bit of smoky myrrh and herbs. Not foody at all.

I've been looking for a not very foody, honey scent...

But I've been severly "burned" by Lush's Honey I Washed The Kids, and Villainess - Canaan.

It smells more of tofee than honey to me, both do... and even if I do like the soft tofee of Canaan, I would really like a smell that is indeed honeyed.

I really like the scent of white honey (clover honey), and wondered if it existed, even in some combination...

Thanks...

I've been looking for a not very foody, honey scent...

But I've been severly "burned" by Lush's Honey I Washed The Kids, and Villainess - Canaan.

It smells more of tofee than honey to me, both do... and even if I do like the soft tofee of Canaan, I would really like a smell that is indeed honeyed.

I really like the scent of white honey (clover honey), and wondered if it existed, even in some combination...

Thanks...

I don't use Lush or Villainess products, so I'm not sure what Honey I Washed the Kids or Canaan smells like, but I do think that BPAL's honey notes smell distinctively of actual honey. The one that I find to be the most "honeyed" is White Rabbit:

White Rabbit
(Mad Tea Party) - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

It starts off a little weird (almost fruity-floral), but it dries to a lovely warm honey. I do amp honey, though, so your mileage may vary. Otherwise, you might try some of the limited editions suggested by ivyandpeony upthread, particularly:

Hanerot Halalu
(2008 Yule LE) - Olive oil, beeswax, and smoke.

The beeswax note is very pronounced, warm, and honey-ish. And these two Stardust scents are crisper, sweeter (too sweet for me), and un-impable, but they might be worth tracking down decants to test:

Fairy Wine
(Stardust) - An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

Lady Una
(Stardust) - Honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices.

Well, Fairy Wine sounds very nice, despite the fact I'm very scared of foody scents, since they're not really my cup of tea...

White Rabbit is already on my "to order" list...

Lady Una, has vanilla in it, the "evil" note that often makes me smell like marshmallow cupcakes... ugh!

As for Hanerot Halalu, I don't really like "smoke" scents... got freaked out by a few of those (not BPAL, tho)...

Thanks for the recs)

Edited by Jupita

hmm.. i have heard good things about Blood Kiss, but i tend to get scared of flowers (lol, fragrance)-- and terrified of vetiver.... I once smelt some pure vetiver in a man's cologne and it had me feeling a bit ill....

Jezabel, Alice and Zarita are already on my list, so i'm definitely going to try those. ^^

Apparently no-one's mentioned Mead Moon so far, which I'm surprised by sine I find has a very strong, sticky, almost but not quite overwhelming honey note.

I love love LOVE honeys in my BPALs, especially the waxy/creamy kind. The thing about the honey note though is that what works on one person may not on another.. however having said that, quite a few have worked beautifully for me but my skin amps honey big time.

I would highly recommend No. 93 Engine (Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage) - for me, it's very honey but with an almost musky tone - and a definite waxy feel (like you've dipped your fingers into the warm wax from a honey-scented candle).

I've also just got a bottle of Wezwanie/Hold, and that is WHOOAAAAAAA honey - very golden and very rich - probably the strongest honey I've tried so far, but nicely warmed by amber and myrrh... it's exquisite.

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht also has a nice honey tone, on me it's not a rich/golden honey but it does have a nice creaminess to it.

Giant Vulva might also be worth a try, I found it quite subtle but many of the reviews posted so far mention a nice rich honey note.

I also second dzurlady's recommendation of Mead Moon for that lovely organic hot honey feel.

In reference to other suggestions posted, and again based only on how my skin worked with them.. both Dana O'Shee and O are more marzipan/nutty than honey, Honey Mone is more "green" than honey, and Alice was all rose - sadly no honey or cream at all.

I admit it, I'm a honey fiend :smile:

I really love Day of the Skulls for beeswax. I don't get a lot of rose like some reviewers seem to have, and the drydown is all gorgeous warm waxy honey with just a touch of cocoa. Note description: white sandalwood, beeswax, and frankincense crowned by hydrangea, rose, and kantuta blossoms, dressed with tobacco, cocoa leaves and flowers from the sacred Cactus of the Four Winds.

if you can find it, litha! it may be a little more common and easier to get now, since it was offered at the recent trunk show. it's so lovely, just a pure honey/mead scent on me.

I discovered La Petite Mort near the beginning of my BPAL days and I've loved it ever since and haven't gotten so much as a trace of baby powder from it. I think the baby powder some people get from O is coming from the amber, which can turn powdery on a lot of people.

On me, O is nearly pure honey, but a raw, musky honey that until recently (I'm still thinking it was the aging that did it) I couldn't stand. Now, it seems softer, though still musky, and still mostly honey until it dries down to a gorgeous honey amber that has only the slightest hint of powder from time to time.

I adore Honey Moon and recently bought a bottle of it ( :joy: ).

Alice was another early favorite, though I don't smell the honey in it except as a sweetness in the milk. (Also, it helps that the rose is drowned out by the carnation and bergamot, but that's neither here nor there.)

Dana O'Shee is like oatmeal with milk and honey and is one of my favorite bedtime scents.

Sudha Segara is my other favorite bedtime scent, but, as with Alice, I don't really smell the honey so much; it's more like sweet milk.

Tiger Lily smells like Love's Baby Soft to me. I don't know why, but it makes me sad.

The fig and patchouli in Hetairae take over so that I can't smell the honey and ylang ylang, which also makes me sad.

Blood Kiss smelled like spicy cocoa plus cigarette butts on my skin. Not sad, grossed out!

Oh, and Sed Non Satiata smells weirdly perfumey on me. It does resemble LPM, though, like a more mature version.

Bengal doesn't smell like honey to me at all. Is there honey in that?

I think the other scents mentioned all have deal breaker notes like jasmine or orange blossom or rose.

:blink: Wow, hello scent twin. I could have written that list EXACTLY.

Edited by gypsyjolie

Tetramorph, to my nose, has a lot of honey in it.

From the GC, I reach for Skuld when I want a non-foody honey blend.

Queen has been garnering me a lot of comments lately. It's like an earthy, vetiver/honey combo with a bit of spicy pine. A nice blend between sweet and savoury.

Gennivre is a must-try for anyone who loves honey. It's not that she dries down to honey so much, at least on me, but sugarcane is such a wonderful variant on honey and not in very many blends. At least to me, it has all the things I like about honey, but it's different.