Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Sugar Plum Fairy v3

While the released Sugar Plum Fairy had a candy aspect to it, this one is pretty much all yummy candied fruits. Wet it actually reminds me of sticking my nose in a bag of gummies, and then as it dries down the types of fruits make themselve known. There is definitely a lot of sugarplum, which I expected; there also must be candied cherries in here, almost like a maraschino cherry note and candied apricot that is sweeter than the apricot note in the released. There is also hint of candied citrus, what I believe is orange, lemon and lime, though it isn't dominant. I also get the tiniest hint of spice from what I think might actually be a type of gumdrop note. It's actually more in league with scents like the Confectionary proto (more fruit candy) and The Kingdom of Sweets (less tart) than its released version, but delicious all the same.

Edited by Invidiana

This smells sweet and fruity in the bottle, much like the released version. However, once applied, they're very different perfumes. This one doesn't have the ambery, shimmery, musky vibe I get from the released version. Instead I get sugarplums with just a touch of carnation-y holiday spices. It is what i would expect a sugar plum fairy to smell like. Almost bubblegummy, but not in a gross way. Its a sweet, creamy, bubblegum. This one is very fun, and very pink. And while I love the clean, misty drydown of the released SPF, this one, with all its silliness and sweetness will also get quite a bit of use from me.

Like the above poster, I get SUGARED PLUM. Yes, it has to be capitalized because it is strong. And very sugary. And plummed. So, very sweet, sugary plums with a bit of spice. Just a bit, like you get with a gumdrop? Yes, that. And mayyyyyyybe a hint of musk way in the background.

I like the released version better.

Both the prototype and the released version are similar, especially in the drydown. On wet though, the difference is noticeable. Whereas SPF is sugary plum, the prototype is much more like a jellied candy, and very sugary. It's so gummy in fact, that its almost like Wad of Chewed Up Bubblegum - more gum than candy. More plum than strawberry, but there's hint of BubbleYum lurking there.

Even in the drydown, the "bubblegum" aspect doesn't go away, which makes me think that lotus was a component. So yes, sugar, plum, lotus and something else.

I'm sticking with the released version. Lotus and I aren't friends.

The released version and the proto are very different on me. SPF is light and sweet, and sits very close to the skin. I definitely get the comparisons to gummies sniffing this in the bottle and when first applied- and I really like this stage too!

Once it starts drying the gummy aspect fades significantly making way for this really gorgeous spice- it smells like mulling spices almost to my nose with a sugary plum wafting in the background.

Once dry the sweetness comes forward a bit more, but the spice is still quite prominent.

Good medium throw. All in all, I think I prefer this one slightly to the released if only because I have a thing for mulling spices. :lol:

I like this prototype more than the released version. Sugar Plum Fairy sounded so good to me, but went all sharp, soapy, and powdery on my skin for some reason. Sugar Plum Fairy v3 has more of the fun, candied quality that I was expecting from the blend. This is sugary fruit (makes me think of jelly or pie filling) and hints of something that smells a bit like cinnamon on me. As it dries down, this smells dry and spicy, and I think it's reminding me of a sweeter Frumious Bandersnatch, maybe. It's a little potpourri-esque on my skin after a while, but not bad.

Midwinter's Eve is still my favorite scent for a frosty sugar plum, but I like that this doesn't have the sharper/perfumey qualities of the released version.

Sugar Plum Fairy v3: I slathered myself right before I went to work & it's very strong sugary PLUM on me. I just looked up my review for the released version & it was very candyish on me, not very plummy. I really love plum scents so I am very happy with the prototype and I love it more than the released version.

~

This is all spiced gumdrops and sugared fruits, with a hint of sweet fizziness. This is the children's version of Sugar Plum Fairy, while the released version is more grown-up. The proto is cute, I like it, much more prefer the released version.

Yummy gummy plums, sugared and bright. This is what I love about the released version, without the Tiare that ruins it for me.

I don't have the released version to compare this to. I got this off the Lab's Etsy, for sentimental reasons (My Grandfather took me to see the Nutcracker as a child, and called me "Sugar Plum" ever after. He was my hero)

Wet: Sweet and fruity. Candy-like. Almost hints of spice? Uh oh, it's trying to go plastic on me. :( Somehow I hadn't even considered that this could be terrible on me, the way a lot of plum notes are.

Dry: Thank goodness, this didn't actually go to plastic on me. It's a nice, spicy fruity, slightly creamy candy scent. To be honest, I don't *love* the scent, I just like it, but I am really glad to have it for sentimentality.

ETA: After tracking down some of the released version, I found that I liked it much better than the prototype, it was less sweet candy and more feminine perfumey, if that makes sense. Glad to have been lucky enough to try both!

Edited by LizziesLuck

I got this in a swap from LIzziesLuck, and I hadn't even read the reviews on it before I tried it.

I lurrrrve the released version -- that sugary, fruity tiare just screams, well, twirly ballerina fairy to me. It takes me right back to seeing The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center every year.

v3 is a totally different beast, but perfect in its own way. This one has a sweet, spicy, fruity vibe, and feels much more Christmassy to me than the released version does. I definitely pick up that lotusy bubblegum scent to it, and miss the tiare. It makes me think of a kid's version of mulled wine with fruit, spice, and candy. I think this will get play from me around Yule time, whereas the released scent feels more like a spring and summer thing to me.

So much fun to try the different versions.

Snagged off the lab's Etsy page.

Wet in bottle: sweet cloying pruney plumy.

Wet on Skin: SUGAR. PLUM.

Drydown: Tones down a bit and is really beautiful. it's a bit like gummied candy, in that it's not raw sugar, but definitely sweet. it's got a little bit of a spice on me, and I think it's the plum note. Makes me think of a plum gummy candy.

Late drydown: Blooms into something new. Something spicy but softly sweet. My poor husband is scent challenged and when I asked him what he smelled, he lit up and said "Cinnamon!". NOT lab cinnamon we've seen before for sure, but the remnant of Christmas spices. My skin tends to amp spicey-esq things (Carnation as example). So this is following a beautiful trend.

I dub thee my Purple Spice Musk.

Edited by Aveya

In the bottle: The juiciest, gummiest, sweetest plum scent ever!

Dried down: Sugary plums dusted with spices (cinnamon?). Stays a little bubblegum-esque. I can't imagine actually wearing this at Christmas since I live in Australia and this will be wayyy too sweet for me to handle in 40 degree heat, but will be a lovely warm sweet, spiced scent for winter!

Edited by h_yeti