Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Invidiana

PRC12

The best way I can describe this is as the love child of Panther Moon and Fledgling Raptor Moon. It's pleasantly warm but at the same time has a certian darkness about it. There is definitely something toasty here, I'm thinking toasted sandalwood, and patchouli, along with something pleasantly nutty that I can't quite make out; some of that must be coming from either of those but maybe there is some sort of nut in here that I can't identify. It isn't almond or walnut or hazelnut; possibly chestnut? This could posibly have a bit of massoia bark as well. Grounding it there is a warm musk like Egyptian musk but also something darker which I'm guessing is black musk. There seems to be a smidge of tonka in here as well, adding a touch of sweetness to the whole blend. Enveloping, beautiful and complex.

Edited by Invidiana

Origin:

5mL bought on LJ.

Preconceived notions:

I'm really excited about this one. I love Panther Moon, but I find Fledgling Raptor Moon just...okay. Nothing special. I'm also not a fan of any nut notes, but everything else sounds awesome.

First sniff:

Definitely a relative of Fledgling Raptor Moon. I get the same toasted sandalwood note that FRM has, but mixed with what smells like some sort of spice (cardamom, maybe...something in that family) and musk.

Wet on skin:

Same as in the bottle. It's a powdery, spicy, dry toasted sandalwood, musk and spice scent on me. I was hoping for something smoother and more resinous. This isn't bad, but it's not quite what I had in mind, either.

Dry down:

This is pretty, but still not what I was envisioning. It stays mostly true to the bottle scent, but smooths out some on the drydown. In the end, it's fairly smooth toasted sandalwood, spice, musk and maybe tonka. If this were darker and less prickly smelling (the toasted sandalwood is the culprit there, I think; I love sandalwood, but I find the toasted variety a little rough).

The bottom line:

I'll be keeping my bottle and I do like it, but I don't absolutely love it the way I thought I would. I think maybe I just hyped it up in my mind and it couldn't live up to the imagein my head. It's still a really nice scent. :)

Oh hi PRC12... I didn't forget you... in fact, I saved you for last because I love you! :D

There's something verrrry familiar about this blend. To my it reminds me of the older brother to Banshee Beat. Where BB is sweet and earthy, this one has the same earthy quality, but darker/bolder. I think that the patchouli in this is of the aged/antique variety similar to what is in Schwarzer Mond.

I want to roll around in this scent all day long. I find it so relaxing; I actually am giddy when I wear it and that's saying something if you knew me in person at all :rofl:

PRC12, I got a little scared trying this one on initially because I thought I smelled black musk which is horrible on me, HORRIBLE I tell you BUT there is definitely something divine in this blend. Resin/sandlewood/patchouli, something earthy as others have mentioned. I love it!!! I'm so glad I bought this off etsy. :joy:

~

I thought I'd never get my hands on this one. It seemed right up my alley because of the comparison to Panther Moon, which is in my top 5.

I smell resins and cola in the bottle! It's about the same on my skin, sweet resins, toasted sandalwood and cola, like the note I get from Schwarzer Mond. A spiciness starts to develop, it seems like cinnamon but when I accidentally got some on my upper lip, it didn't burn so it must be cardamom or even ginger. It smells like a natural cola I had once, the flavor was much more complex and rich than that your typical cola, with spices.

Instant favorite! *sneaks away to buy backups* :ninja:

I'm wondering if my bottle is from a different batch, or something else all together. Wet, this is buttery and a little bit of resins. Dry, it's carnation and a little bit of resin. This needs to age, but there is not any patchouli in this, and it is nothing like panther moon.

I'm sad as the other reviews made it sound amazing. I think with some aging it will be good but nothing like the others have described.

I'm in agreement that this really doesn't smell much like Panther Moon! What this reminded me of right away was Dancing Koi. I put them side by side and there's a strong resemblance, but PRC12 has a dryer, dustier, less creamy feel (comparatively speaking, that is; I still wouldn't call it a particularly dusty scent in and of itself) -- almost like a mixture of Dancing Koi and Zenobia. I haven't yet tried it next to Fledgling Raptor Moon, and will report back on that ASAP...

Edited by Wwindy

I smell musk, sweet resins/spice and some kind if nut. I agree with the person who suggested chestnut. I'm not so sure about this ...

Very interesting blend; but not one for me.

On, I totally get the cola aspect of the blend. It immediately reminds me of soda. Also, I get what seems to me to be a pastry-ish note that may or may not be cardamom or nutmeg. They both do this doughy kind of thing on me. Thankfully, that doesn't dominant the blend and fades quickly. Into the drydown, it's very much a woody/patchouli blend with some alcohol. I think that may be red wine but I'm unsure. It's a bit sweet and rich; I get a bit of honey but nothing overpowering. This is sweet but definitely earthy.

Sweet cola overlay but that disappears quickly. What I really get is woody sandalwood, rich cardamom and a bit of honey.

Yes, I can see how people think of it in the Fledgling Raptor Moon/Panther Moon vein, but it kinda reminds me to Dancing Koi.

PRC12 reminds me of the dark, cola-esque resins of Schwarzer Mond, the earthy/patchouli parts of Banshee Beat, and the toasted sandalwood of Dancing Koi. It has a dark and earthy presence that keeps it from being as sweet as all of those blends were on me, making this smell darker and more dry and dangerous. It's very 'don't mess with me' on my skin. I like it. :twisted:

In the bottle: buttery and resinous. With luck, that's benzoin, which often smells buttery in the bottle but doesn't go buttery on me.

Wet: A sharp blast of nuts -- it reminds me a lot of Copulating Mice at this point. Buttery, almost cookie-ish nuts and clove.

Drydown: The nuts fade back and something much more perfume-y comes forward. I can't tell if it's a sweet patchouli or one of the more floral ambers, but it smells more floral than resinous to me. There is also a powdery musk note. I don't get any toasted sandalwood at all.

Dry: This softens to a near-skin scent with occasional wafts of powdery resin. I like it more than I would have expected.

Got my bottle from BPAL on Etsy. I can't pick any notes from just smelling the bottle, it's sweet and white. However, I'm not good at identifying notes unless I know what they are and still have to work at identifying them.

On, wet, I get a blast of coconut. I amp coconut and I also hate it. Until this dries, coconut is about all I get, with just the tiniest hint of resin underneath. I compared this to Dancing Koi, while both are wet I can smell some similar notes. (Dancing Koi is the only scent I have of all that were mentioned to this point for comparison.)

Once this finally dries down, the coconut has left (yay!!) and this ends up being soft resins that stay very close to the skin. Amber usually goes powdery on me, and this hasn't, so I'd say no amber. It could have tonka or a wee bit of a white flower. This is stronger on my skin that DK after two hours and smells quite different. Lighter and airier but warm.

Is this a keeper? Maybe, will have to see if I'm patient enough to give the coconut time to leave. I do like the final result.

9/4/11 ETA: Today I get sandalwood and patchouli early in the drydown...after the coconut dissipates. Skin chemistry is such a funny thing - the patchouli started out as a dirt smell on my right wrist, but not my left.

Edited by Kamanjah

First impressions, wet - nutty spice cake. I can detect the lab's pastry note underneath coconut and cardamom or clove. A sharp wood comes through - I want to say its eucalyptus but not nearly as aggressive to the nose.

On the drydown - musk and sandalwood, underneath a beautiful, dry warm spice. The nut fades away and the cola impression that others mention comes to the foreground.

Not a lot of throw, it stays close to the skin and is very smooth and understated.

I bought this on a whim from the lab's etsy site - so glad I did!

smells sort of like spicy popcorn, it's not bad, but my cat is highly offended by it :lol: each time i try to pet him his ears go back and he runs off. think it will have to go.

For some reason I never reviewed this fresh from the Lab's Etsy, from which I acquired my bottle, but apparently I wasn't too impressed as I have had it up for swap/sale for ages. I randomly decided to retest it as it's been sitting here so long (and is quite aged now as a result). In the bottle, oooh smooth, sweet patchouli with resins and something nutty. Why was I getting rid of this? On, I get swoon-worthy patchouli and toasted sandalwood of the Fledgling Raptor Moon variety (which I love). Taking this off my sale list NOW. As it warms, I get a bit of a cola-esque feel along with rich patch and dry nutty sandalwood. The patch is very toned down and this is mostly the dry toasty sandalwood. It's a skin-close scent, like me but better.

i was lucky enough to acquire a bottle of this second hand. in the bottle the nuttiness is like whoa. i agree with some other folks that the nuttiness gives it a warm quality without entering "foodie" territory. the nuttiness is so strong in the bottle that i couldn't get any other notes, but once on the skin the patchouli comes out to play and harmonizes SO perfectly with the nut. it's definitely possible that there's more to this but that's really all i get. totally possible that there's some musk in this however, black musk on me tends to go powdery and i'm not registering that here

ETA after an hour or so into the drydown the nuttiness fades and leaves behind the most gorgeous sweetened patchouli

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

Agree with the stated above, nutty but not in foodie territory. There's a warmth, something cozy and spicy. Powdery patchouli amps up for me on drydown, and the afformentioned notes fall into the background.