Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
inlunulae

Canada import tariffs

I'd like to double check if there are any other additional fees/taxes beyond the provincial GST/HST when receiving international orders above $20?

Just checking because I'd like to figure out if it's worth making one big order to save on shipping. Right now splitting orders has the advantages of not having all eggs in one basket (the only "insurance" against occurances like this: Customs Destroyed My Package) and of having something to look forward to from the post twice. :lovestruck:

I once indulged myself in a lovely pair of boots ordered from a UK retailer and was smacked with a "so you think you can afford indulgences---think again" surcharge at the post office that was definitely a chunk more than just GST. I was probably too busy overcoming the irony of having saved up for these darling boots only to find that they would eat up even more of my budget to ask for clarification. Stupid of me, I know! But if anyone can share their experiences here, maybe I'd be able to plan my shopping more carefully!

Thanks!

Edited by inlunulae

I have yet to be hit with any kind of tax from BPAL shipments, but what you paid was at the post office was a tariff - which is not GST/PST, and because the UK does not fall under NAFTA (and even some things produced in USA/Mexico don't - it all depends and unless you're a customs broker/official you likely won't know - I deal with customs stuff every day and don't really pay attention as to what is tariffed how and when)

You can check out the list of tariffs and how/when on the CBSA website.

If you are ordering from a company that will courier stuff to you, the courier will sometimes (not always) charge you a clearance fee - they cleared the goods for you - in addition to the tariff.

Having said that, I haven't ordered anything from BPAL that would go under the "free shipping" yet so I wouldn't really know how customs deals with larger BPAL packages.

Unfortunately, the last BPAL order I received was hit. I had to pay something like $25, and I ordered around 6 bottles and a Salon imp set plus got 18 frimps.

In my experience, with USPS/Canada Post, under $100 is unlikely to result in fees... but I also don't know how the Lab marks their packages - some companies like Lush UK are nice (and bad lol) enough to mark everything as a gift. Also depends if they're marked as EOs, perfume, cosmetics, or glass bottles, etc.

Edited by o0SnowDrop0o

If I remember correctly, the Lab doesn't mark items as gifts but does tend to low-ball the worth of the merchandise. They are usually marked as essential oils or shirt etc. but may not list everything in the package.

Thank you! I think I've been lucky so far too, but then again, none of my orders have reached $50. Unfortunately, I'm not aiming for the free shipping mark (if I can spend $500+ in one go, I wouldn't have to stress out over the $12 saved from the next shipment...but I can dream on and keep up obsessive wishlists :D). But since the $12.00 shipping is almost the size of a 5ml, I'd combined two orders if possible. And Farenath, thank you for the information. I just wish this kind of info would be made available more easily (or hey, why not scrap tariffs for consumers entirely?). Thank you. =)

Thank you! I think I've been lucky so far too, but then again, none of my orders have reached $50. Unfortunately, I'm not aiming for the free shipping mark (if I can spend $500+ in one go, I wouldn't have to stress out over the $12 saved from the next shipment...but I can dream on and keep up obsessive wishlists :D). But since the $12.00 shipping is almost the size of a 5ml, I'd combined two orders if possible. And Farenath, thank you for the information. I just wish this kind of info would be made available more easily (or hey, why not scrap tariffs for consumers entirely?). Thank you. =)

I read a bit more on it and here's what I understand...

Shipments under $60.00 generally won't get taxed/tariffed.

Canada Customs won't go after taxes if they can't collect at least $1.00

When you are bringing stuff into Canada, regardless if it's you personally or by post that is expensive, you will have to pay both GST and PST (or HST depending on what province you're in) and possibly a customs clearance charge - Canada Post charges $5 for doing the customs for you. In addition to the taxes you need to pay for canada customs, but you pay canada post directly cause they did the forms on your behalf. If it's sent by ups/fedex/etc then generally the customs clearance fee is anywhere between a couple bucks to around $25-50. It depends how they cleared it and how they calculate the cost - if it's something that needs to be cleared completely separately away from everything else on the conveyance that is crossing the border it needs its own clearance number, and they charge the $25-50 depending on the courier. If it's a consolidation of a bunch of shipments that cleared under one clearance number (into canada they're called PARS numbers, if you're interested) then the total cost is divided between the items cleared on that number. The second part is a guesstimation of what happens as I have been charged by UPS around $2 for clearance and $8 for taxes before, but I know what they charge for a regular border crossing so I was surprised it wasn't $25 plus the $8 taxes.

I don't really understand HOW they select packages that will pay taxes and those that don't because I *KNOW* that BPAL has valuated my packages at least once at over the allowable $60, but I wasn't hit with a tax.

And the tariff for consumers.. you do pay the tariffs. It's just that most of the time they are already included in the price of a product so you don't realize that "this portion of the price is the tariff plus fees that cost to get this product across the border"

I really hope this helps :)

That's a great breakdown!

There's no rhyme or reason to their package selection. I've crossed the border after a few hours in the states and declared 100$ in purchases, and the guy just waved me through. Then I've gotten packages valued at 60$ and have been charged. It's all very esoteric. I suspect they use a magic 8 ball.

Unfortunately, the last BPAL order I received was hit. I had to pay something like $25, and I ordered around 6 bottles and a Salon imp set plus got 18 frimps.

That's so weird I just got my order a few days ago it had 11 bottles and 20 imps and I did not pay anything.

But since it looks like getting your parcel tagged for taxes is more or less random, I think if the predicted GST/HST/PST is less than than another $12.00 for splitting the shipment, it's still worth it to combine the order(s); after all, there is still the chance that you won't get taxed!

It helps A LOT Farenath, =), thank you! I will do my best to avoid UPS and Fedex. Yikes! You know, before reading your prior post, I had thought that tariffs were the same as GST/HST. Heheh, good point about the tariffs being part of the price tag. For people like me who suffer from the dual afflictions of being numerically challenged and an impulsive shopper, having the "tax included" pricetags would definitely make me think twice before next splurging...not very practical for online cross-border shopping, I know! =P

Just another random FYI...

most "essential oils" are subject to a 0% tariff, or somewhere around 5% :D

(ETA: It depends on the origin of the oil, ie. orange essential oil is not, but a resin essential oil might be - weird I know)

Edited by Farenath

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but something important to know when shipping packages to CANADA for sales ans swaps:

You cannot mark it as "Perfume" on the customs slip. I sent one out earlier in the week at one PO location, and she lady told me I could not send perfume, because it has alcohol in it, and you cannot send alcohol based things to Canada. (??) I clarified with her that it is perfume OIL, and without any alcohol. She had me add the word "oil" to the description, and it was okay.

Today I sent another one out to Canada, at a different PO location, and almost got into a fight with the lady, because I filled out the customs slip "Perfume Oil" and she told me I was not able to send it. I told her I just did three days ago, and she said it cannot say "perfume" or "cologne" at all. So I crossed out perfume and wrote "essential" and she took it.

After that, I really hope the one I sent on Tuesday gets to the recipient without problem!

Also, I did indeed notice that my shipping was charged more when I marked "merchandise" on the slip, so instead I check "Gift", and it seems it costs me less to send.

(Sorry if this thread is supposed to be for online purchasing and shipping to Canada, and not sales or swaps from here! I just thought I'd share what I know for forum info).

I don't know if anyone else has run into this, but something important to know when shipping packages to CANADA for sales ans swaps:

You cannot mark it as "Perfume" on the customs slip. I sent one out earlier in the week at one PO location, and she lady told me I could not send perfume, because it has alcohol in it, and you cannot send alcohol based things to Canada. (??) I clarified with her that it is perfume OIL, and without any alcohol. She had me add the word "oil" to the description, and it was okay.

Today I sent another one out to Canada, at a different PO location, and almost got into a fight with the lady, because I filled out the customs slip "Perfume Oil" and she told me I was not able to send it. I told her I just did three days ago, and she said it cannot say "perfume" or "cologne" at all. So I crossed out perfume and wrote "essential" and she took it.

After that, I really hope the one I sent on Tuesday gets to the recipient without problem!

Also, I did indeed notice that my shipping was charged more when I marked "merchandise" on the slip, so instead I check "Gift", and it seems it costs me less to send.

(Sorry if this thread is supposed to be for online purchasing and shipping to Canada, and not sales or swaps from here! I just thought I'd share what I know for forum info).

It's because it's considered flammable, but even then there's an exception: "Products that contain low concentrations of dangerous goods may not be regulated if the dangerous goods are diluted to such an extent that the product no longer poses a hazard. For example, a flammable liquid that is diluted so that it is no longer flammable is not a dangerous good, provided that it does not fall under any of the nine classes listed above." I've had a few people from the States mark the packages as "perfume" and it hasn't been a problem. Everyone else has just written "cosmetic products" or "body products" and that seems to be fine. But of course these are perfume oils and don't contain alcohol, so the second PO lady probably just didn't understand the reason for the import restriction on perfume and the difference between them and perfume oils.

Edited by o0SnowDrop0o

Sign in to follow this