Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

NINON
Today a new sun rises for me; everything lives, everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it.

Philosopher, poet, author, patron of the arts, and protofeminist, Ninon de l'Enclos is venerated in France as Queen of the Courtesans. At a very young age, Ninon chose to be emancipated from the constraints society had imposed on her gender. She was orphaned at the age of sixteen, and opened her own salon in Paris rather than seeking succor in marriage. Her salon quickly became the talk of the town, attracting aristocrats, socialites, and artists. At thirty, she opened a school to share her knowledge of the ways of seduction, charm, and the courtesies of love. Both men and women flocked to her school, which endured as an institution in Paris for three decades. During her career as a courtesan, Ninon took many powerful men as her lovers, though she was faithful to each one while their liaison lasted. She never took payment for her affections, as she was fiercely independent and wished to rely on no man for support. An advocate of measured Epicureanism, she defended both her lifestyle choices and her philosophical views in her book, La Coquette Vengée. After retiring from life as a courtesan, she continued to write and promote the arts through her salon.

Smoky honey musk, tobacco leaf, lavender, golden amber, Damask rose, hay, orris root, white sandalwood, and bourbon vanilla.

Holy moley, what a lush and powerful scent! Redolent of honey musk, amber, florals, and vanilla, Ninon lasted ALL day! She is no fainting flower, that's for sure.

I am certainly going to be hoarding this precious...

Gorgeous! I think the smoky honey musk, golden amber, tobacco, and rose are predominant on me. This is a beautifully warm and inviting scent. Normally I am very afraid of rose, but this rose note is wonderfully wearable on me. I'm beginning to think that rose is not always my enemy, perhaps it's just the type of rose I first encountered in Persephone and Whip. Thankfully this is NOT a mess of amping rose nastiness on me like those two were. This is more reminiscent of a vase full of the most espensive, wonderfully scented roses sitting on a woman's dressing table. The room is warmed by a summer breeze. Her dressing table is topped with bottles of expensive and exotic perfumes, the entire room tinged with amber, sandalwood,and a hint of vanilla sweetness. This one has amazing throw, and a little goes a very long way. I definitely think this is the sort of scent that another person, upon noticing it wafting from your skin, might come closer and sniff deeply, and wonder what gorgeous perfume you're wearing.

The note list was so intriguing, I couldnt not order this little mystery. What I get on immediate application is: Smoky honey musk, tobacco leaf, lavender, golden amber. This is golden, dry and golden. I dont seem to get any rose or vanilla from this.

Ill give it some time to see if I love it, but I dont NOT love it so far - so we will see!

eta: the dry down is the stunner on this one. Be sure to wait for it!

Edited by CaudaPavonis

In the bottle: Mostly clean bright lavender, a bit of the amber making it sweet and the orris root adding a nice dry note.

Wet On Skin: the lavender is starting to amp. At this point, this is not the sugar lavender of TKO or the English Lavender of Ninon's bath salts. This is straight up Spike Essential Oil Lavender. It's a bit much for me right now, but I can see that there's potential here. *Fingers Crossed*

Dry Down: Oh, hello there, honey musk! I was wondering when you'd show up! :D The musk and amber are intertwining with each other in a fabulous, sweet heady way. Normally ambers go all baby powder on me, but the lavender seems to be doing a great job of keeping that element in check. If I put my nose right against my wrist, I get tiny, tiny impressions of both the Rose and Vanilla notes, but they're *extremely* ephemeral and fleeting. There is great potential here with all the tip-toeing notes and I have a strong feeling that this is one of those scents that will be much improved by againg, in the same way that aging is required to give scents like Snake Oil and Red Lantern their full depth. I look very forward to checking in with this oil in a month or two.

In All: Medium to high throw, but it's deceptive- although strong, this is definitely a "skin" scent, and one is inclined to rub one's face against the surface containing the fragrance. Ninon becomes more and more sexy with every passing second but be warned: she is no shy violet, and should not be treated as such. in other words, I personally find this to be more of a "night" scent, something that will likely be too strong for daytime use. Unless you're bringing her along for an Afternoon Delight ;)

Because of her strength, I don't personally think I'll need more than her one bottle to last me, but I can see how others will find her hoard-worthy.

Just Beautiful.

:wub2:

Edited by VioletChaos

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! On me, this smells of smoky sweet vanilla musk but with a slight cologne-ish note. Just a touch, but it still is very feminine on me. I am very happy I get the vanilla in this blend; I was nervous I'd amp everything but.

I love Ninon. She is such an amazingly well blended perfume. The Smoky honey musk, tobacco leaf, hay and orris root are most prominent at first, and then after about 5 minutes the lavender and vanilla join in. I never get rose (which is great). If I had to compare this to another blend, I would say it reminds me a bit of Under the Harvest Moon (which is one of my absolute favorites) with the addition of tobacco leaf. Another hit, to be sure, and a multiple bottle purchase. 5+/5

Years later edit: This smells very similar to SL's Chergui.

Edited by HerbGirl

I have to say, in the bottle Ninon is lovely, but there's something lurking there that makes it a bit manly.

On my skin the manliness amps a bit more and combined with all the notes, its really cologne-y and soap-y on me. Its a really nice blend, but I just dont love it.

In the bottle, this is mainly tobacco flower, lavender, and hay. I do not have a good feeling about this. On my skin, much the same, and fading quick b/c of the lavender. Also, astringent. Ow. Not quite for me.

Take warm golden tobacco leaf and drench it in honey. Add a hint of smokey vanilla and then glaze it in a light lavender to calm down the sweetness. The hay, orris root, and sandalwood blend seamlessly into the lavender to help give it enough oomph to balance the sweeter components without going screamingly sharp. This is warm and smokey and sweet and absolutely delightful. She appears to have some staying power which is nice. Ninon is easily my favorite of the Courtesans and a must try for anyone who enjoys tobacco leaf.

Ninon smells a little strange on me. I definitely get the lavender, amber, and honey musk, which I love, but the hay makes Ninon just a little too earthy for my tastes. I love lavender perfumes to be lighter and more wispy-smelling, if that makes sense. I'll give her another try after letting her sit, though - I feel like she has the potential to be absolutely beautiful.

This is one of those rare ones that's way outside my usual fragrance preferences but for some reason I'm completely addicted to it. That doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's always a pleasant surprise!

My impression of it is that it smells kind of expensive and slightly haughty, but in an approachable way. It's mature and elegant, rather than being playful or cute. But it's not stand-offish. It draws you in.

It's musky, dry, and sweet, and blended together fabulously. No one note is glaring out at me. It smells golden. Also, there's something in this that reminds me ever so slightly of some BPALs that my husband wears, so for that reason it's kinda comforting to me, too. Maybe it's the lavender or tobacco leaf -- I'm not sure.

Very, very nice. I'll for sure need a bottle of this, since I've reapplied it from the decant three times today already and I show no signs of growing tired of it.

What a complex blend--wet, it's all tobacco and honey, golden and glowing; as it dries I'm getting an astringent lavender and the hay is really amping! But it's still nice. The sharp lavender gives it a bit of a manly, cologney edge to combat the sweetness of the honey/tobacco/vanilla. I get NO rose here. Overall it's quite pretty and sweet; I'll need a full day's wearing to know for sure if I love this since that lavender note is a little iffy, but this is a really gorgeous scent!

I absolutely love Ninon. On me it is a soft, sweetly honeyed lavender, not too strong, not too sweet, but just right. I think of it as a variation on the sweet lavender theme, the most famous of which, of course, is Dorian. Although Ninon and Dorian smell nothing alike, the strength of the lavender is about the same in both - detectable, certainly an important component of the scent, but not overwhelming, for those who are afraid of monster lavender.

On first sniff, I get a combination of amber, hay, sandalwood and possibly the lavender. All the notes dissipate as soon as it touches my skin, and it becomes this bright and juicy fresh fragrance. I can not detect any of the listed notes, but once fully dried I get the smokey honey musk, amber and hay. It is an alright scent, but doesn't really thrill me.

Ninon on me is smoky vanilla musk and hay. It sort of reminds me to being next to a horse. I think it's the hay. The vanilla musk is more musky than vanilla. As it dries, I get tinges of amber and lavender.

Mmm. Not for me.

Ninon on me is a sun-warmed vanilla/amber/hay, with a deep richness that I think is tobacco, and the lavender is herbal and dances on top of the warmth of the rest of the scent. This is sort of earthy, and entirely not-floral on me. I love it. It's like summer, but womanly and lovely. No scent of rose at all (YAY!). Must buy a bottle!

I got a strong non-sweet lavender perfume. It reminded me of something classic and Victorian in nature. I can get whiffs of tobacco and vanilla in there too. The honey isn't anywhere to be found, neither is the musk, but that's fine with me. This scent is all powdery amber, lavender and dry orris root on me, highlighted, by a slight rose floral and the scent of smoky hay and tobacco.

I would recommend this if you like lavender or orris root. To me, those dominate the blend. Not for the faint of heart.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Sniff: Unlike other experiences here, Ninon is very, very faint to me. I can barely smell a hint of smoky musk in the decant.

Wet: Now we're talking! Honey musk and tobacco. A little amber, and slightly boozy. Can't pick out any rose or lavendar at all. It's just a little off - I'm not sure how to describe it, but it makes my nose wrinkle.

Dry: Musky, a little grassy (I guess that's the orris and hay). Honey usually turns sour on me, but not so here! This becomes surprisingly balanced and warm. Vanilla also makes a quiet appearance. This doesn't last long on me, which is too bad, because I like the musky drydown.

Wet: *boom!* ambergris. Then warm honeyed skin musk with tobacco, hay, light rose, and stronger than expected bourbon vanilla. This smelled so distinctly of ambergris that I really thought it was the 1st ingredient. It starts to mellow into a warmer honeyed skin musk and hay, with dry golden tobacco. Slight top note of lavender that gives it a gentle relaxing feel. It's still definitely bopping around my nasal cavity, in the same manner as ambergris. The rest flows and washes over me. Strange perception!

Drydown: still ambergrisy and still prevelant skin musk, smoking pipe tobacco, warm golden honey, and rose. I like it very much but need a little more time to come to a conclusion.

ETA: ok this is one bizarre scent and I like it overall.. I woke up the next morning and the tank top I was wearing smelled of honeyed skin musk, amber with a slight ambergris pungency (not bad..just meaty with a rosey top note). Blonde for sure, bold yes, strong!, everlasting to a goth scent extent. I have a bad feeling that I'll be falling in love with this later, when it'll be harder to find a bottle. This has a very confusing, intriguing quality that makes it very memorable for me. Leaves one of the strongest lasting impressions out of many many bpal scents I've tried.

Edited by SophieCedar

Ninon

In the imp: lavender soap and a hint of tobacco and hay.

Wet on skin: huh? The hay note now smells really weird, almost salty, and the lavender takes on a masculine cologne/aftershave scent.

Dry on skin: I have no idea what this is doing, it’s just turned into an incomprehensible mess on me. First up, the tobacco is going crazy and is doing the Evil Ashtray of Evilness thing on me. The lavender has turned aggressive and manly smelling-and I normally like lavender. The hay smells of wet straw and salt. I don’t smell any honey musk, amber, sandalwood, rose or vanilla. All the notes I hoped for are nowhere to be seen-or smelt. All I get is a weird lavender tobacco and salty straw smell.

After a while: maybe now I can smell amber, but only if I really sniff, and the hay has lost its annoying salty smell, but the tobacco is still too strong. It’s too smoky-and I don’t really smell honey musk, just smoke, and the hay now smells like a kind of blonde tobacco cologne. The lavender is still there, which is unusual because usually lavender fades fast. But this is nothing like Emathides or Odd Portents, which have similar notes.

Verdict: this is the only courtesan scent that was a total failure on me. There were notes with so much promise here, like rose, amber, vanilla, honey musk…but all I can smell here is harsh, masculine and aggressive lavender with ashtrays and salty straw. It’s a mess for an hour, and even though it seems to become more coherent at drydown, there’s too much tobacco for my tastes and I still don’t smell the rose, amber and vanilla. It’s a shame because I love scents with similar notes but it’s nothing like those because of the tobacco and hay. I will pass on my decant to someone whose skin doesn’t mess up tobacco notes.

Is it a keeper? Nope.

If you like this, try: Love and Pain, Gaueko, Pyramus, Misericordia, On Darkness, Odd Portents, Emathides

Lavender and smoke with hints of vanilla. Wet this stuff packs a punch with the lavender and smoky musk. It's also ver womanly and robust. But as it dries it becomes a soft gorgeous musk/vanilla/rose cloud of goodness. I really like Ninon and I am so glad I took a chance on ordering it! :D

Wow this is so beautiful! It's masculine and feisty at first with a very strong smoky note. I get dry-earth with lots of cologne topping it off. But simultaneously there's a mingling sweetness and musk that just makes this perfectly sexy. The honey is so smooth and lush in here and it really glows.

This lingers for hours and even as it morphs it remains gorgeous and mysterious. I can't believe how many compliments I get whenever I wear it. I became attached to this scent the minute tried it, and it's possibly my favorite Bpal fragrance released this past year.

I LOVE Ninon! I finally figured out which perfume Ninon reminds me of, one of my former favorites: Chergui by Serge Lutens. It's got a similar smokey, slightly honey-sweet, musky, tobacco, hay-like wonderfulness ... it's enveloping and dead sexy. I bought two bottles, and I may need a third before it goes away!

Edited by Beatrice33

Ninon has to be one of my favorite perfumes I've come across in a long time. Wet, freshly applied, it's a little overwhelming; when I press my nose to my wrist, it's strong, but when I dab behind my ears and just let it waft a bit, it turns my entire world into a sweet, lightly lavender, honey, vanilla, and musky cloud. I'm a self-admitted lavender girl but I never would have imagined that Ninon would smell this good. It's just amazing. Originally, I thought that the sweet smell was my candy from earlier but I quickly realized that the candy had been put away and sealed up and this beautiful scent was sticking around.

In love.

Wet, sweet vanilla lavender with a bit of musk. Very reminiscent of TKO and Mysterious Warning. It has that same comforting vanilla lavender thing going here. Dry, much the same, though a bit more musky, and not sure why, but I'm getting a touch of leather here. I ordered this bottle blind, as the notes sounded like a great combination, and so glad I did, I'll probably get a back-up. Ninon ends up being musky vanilla lavender goodness, with the warmth of amber. Thankfully, I get no rose, I'm all over this blend, and will be hunting more down for sure! :wub2: