Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

SPANKED REVISITED
Whip leather, cardamom, patchouli, and bourbon.

I tested Spanked Revisited at Will Call last weekend with much apprehension. Leather? :ack: However, if there is leather in this scent, I couldn't find it. To me, Spanked in the vial smells like a warm cinnamon deepened by a trickle of patchouli, and it stayed consistent through all stages on my skin. It was pretty, but too simple to keep me wanting more. In fact, it could almost be a single note of cinnamon, even though that note wasn't even listed (points finger at cardamom). If I had been excited for the leather note, I would be disappointed, however fans of spicy, foody scents might like this.

I was super excited to try this since I haven't had the chance to try Spanked before. I have a hard time with the leather scents but keep trying them, hoping one will work for me. When I first applied it, I loved it. Unfortunately the leather turned funky on me about 15-20 in. And it seemed really......tepid almost. I expected it to hit me like a slap on the ass and it most definitely didn't do that.

bottle: lots of cardamom and patchouli! yummy!

wet: wow. leather and patchouli with a gorgeous topnote of cardamom. lovely! this does seem more spicy than the original but i still love it.

dry: yummy, spicy, leathery patchouli. can't wit until my husband gets home so i can slather this all over him!

Ah, Spanked. How I have missed you. I never should have swapped you away all those years ago, but baby, now we get a second chance, and it's just like the old days. It must be fate.

No, really, it is just like the old days. I'm going to quote from my review from way back in 2005, when I got the original Spanked in the Naughty/Nice Inquisition, because I think it's pretty illustrative of what Spanked 2.0 is like for me:

At first sniff, this is reminiscent of Blood Moon - spicy and very sexy, and while the spice is certainly predominately cardamom, it does smell like there's a hint of cinnamon in there as well. Perhaps that's the influence of Beth's patchouli?

As this dries, it changes quite a bit - it gets a boozier, and less spicy, until I can smell almost nothing. On me, leather sometimes smells like leather, and sometimes smells like nothing. Sadly, this is one of those instances in which I can barely smell it, so Spanked becomes a hint of spiced booze.

Wet, it is exactly what I recall. The spices predominate. I smell some cinnamon in the mix, too, even though it's not listed as a note. Interestingly, I note this time around that the skin on the back of my hand is a teensy bit red where I applied this. It's faded a fair bit in the last half an hour or so, though, so hopefully it's not so irritating that I can't keep wearing it--because baby, this smells good.

It still dries down to a spicy booziness, with something grounding it on the skin, and it's very well-blended, doesn't smell of single note leather or patchouli. But Spanked isn't really disappearing into my skin this time around. Why that is, I can't say--my skin chemistry could have changed, the formula could have changed, or (most likely, I think) my nose could have gotten more perceptive in the intervening years. All I know is that this smells almost identical to my earlier notes on the original (would that I still had it to compare) and I am not letting Spanked get away this time. Baby, we are reunited, and, you know, the rest of the Peaches and Herb stuff.

Edited by Imbrium

I love this. :wub2: This starts as mostly spicy cardamom (reminiscent of cinnamon) with a slight sweetness from the bourbon and soft leather in the background. I get the a faint hint of patchouli but it's very soft and well-blended. The spicy cardamom is definitely strong in the beginning with leather in the background, but the leather starts to amp on me and the blend settles into spicy leather goodness :yum: . I can say I like Spanked revisited better than the aged, original version.

Edited by cfrancesca

I can't really remember what the original Spanked smelled like, but I loved it. I am so glad that it got re-released and that I bought a bottle unsniffed! When first applied this is all cardamon on me, but after 10-15 minutes the leather really comes out and it turns into the perfect leather and spice scent. I really don't get any Bourbon, but that's ok, it's perfect and may replace my current favorite leather scent. I'll definitely be stocking up on this one :wub2:

I'm not an original Spanked person. In fact, it's one of the only super rare loves I've never hunted a bottle down for. All I remember was being a little confused and unsure as to why she was so loved. Honestly, I'm there all over again. I figured it was my young-nose back then... but now... mmm. I don't know where anyone gets cinnamon in this at all. In fact, I think cinnamon would have made her better! I do love spicy things and cardamom is a favorite...but it's totally overpowered by the leather. I also wish that I could smell the bourbon more.

She's also disappearing on my skin and she's only been on for a few minutes. The patchouli is going to be the last scent left and though she may last long, that's not what I would have liked to smell like. Very faint at this point though, especially for patchouli.

So my review is that if you like an organically (and not foodie) spicy leather, than she's all for you. My chemistry doesn't amp her in the ways I would like, but she's a sophisticated and strong blend in the bottle.

Oh my goodness. :squee: This is as wonderful as I thought it would be. When I first apply it, it kind of smells like Coca-Cola on my skin. Weird, huh? :blink:

But then, very shortly thereafter, I get the cardamom (cinnamon-like) note with bourbon. As it dries further, the leather note emerges as the cardamom fades a bit and I am left with a soft boozy leather scent. :thud: The patchouli is very smooth and almost unnoticeable in this blend.

I bought 3 bottles blindly in anticipation and I am actually thinking of buying more because I never want to run out this scent ever again.

Edited by angelicruin

This scent is gorgeous! Wet...it smells funky. Funk and leather...with the barest hint of cardamom. HOWEVER: Dry...AHHHHH!!! Warm sexy spices, leather, and UNF! Cardamom. This is truly an amazing blend. I am so glad that I have some...I just may have to get a back up of it. :thud:

I ordered a bottle of Spanked unsniffed because I adore BPAL's leather notes. I was not disappointed.

In the bottle, sweet spice dominates. I can't even smell the leather.

Wet: Cinnamony (or cardamony, I suppose) leather. There is a hint of sweetness from the bourbon. Gorgeous!

On the drydown, the spice backs off, and the leather note predominates.

Finally, I'm left with a soft leather with a touch of bourbon once my skin burns through the spicy notes.

I give this a 5/5. I will be ordering a backup (or three).

I consider myself a bit of a Spanked connoisseur :twisted: And since Spanked is my absolute FAVORITE scent, elated is not even a grand enough word to describe when I heard the murmur of SPANKED appearing in prototype form at the various Will Calls.

When it went live I promptly ordered..... bottles. LOL

Got them yesterday and here are my thoughts: I opened the bottle just now and was overwhelmed with spiceytime. That's like sexitime only with spice. I'm taken back to when I carried around that first decant I won from eBay of Spanked.. yes, I carried it around like some kind of security blanket. My most vivid memory of it was when I was at a dinner with a big group of family members at Olive Garden and I would take it out from it's protective case (:lol:) to sniff it... like it was a drug. The smell of Spanked Revisited from the bottle triggered that exact memory, so far so good...

However, my stash of aged Spanked is way less spice, more dirty patchouli leather. On my skin, Spanked Rev gives me.... bumps :eek: :cry2: My sensitive skin cannot handle new Spanked spiceytime!!! Even so, I kept it on and enjoyed the scent.. as it dried down the dirty patchouli surfaced, but spice is still dominant.

I'm willing to bet as this one ages it will become more aligned with original Spanked, but it's not quite identical. The same overall feeling is there, but new baby Spanked is not sure of the world and needs time to mature.

ETA: the spice is calming down as time goes on which I am thankful for.. now I get that mmmmmmleather smell I love so much.

Edited by Midnight Aeval

Spanked Revisited - When I opened the bottle and put some on my wrists, I was immediately whisked back to the first half of 2006, when I wore the original Spanked regularly. It's a super sexy, spicy, leather scent with a bit of earthy patchouli. The bourbon isn't very strong. A thin ribbon of it runs through the other notes, smoothing them out. The second time I wore Spanked Revisited, I discovered the hard way that the spiciness is too much for my chest/neck skin, which isn't usually sensitive, but a few rare scents give me a horribly itchy, burning rash, and this appears to be one of them. I can still wear it on my wrists and in my hair, though! Overall, it's an incredibly sexy scent, full of leather, cardamom, (and even though it's not listed, I'm positive there's cinnamon in it, since cardamom is a favorite note that has never before given me a burning rash, but cinnamon has quite often), and patchouli. It's an awesome scent, and I'm so glad to have Spanked back in my life again. Oh, one final thing -- the original Spanked was great, but didn't last on my skin very long. This version is still not an all-day wear for my dry skin, but it lasts for several hours.

I, too join the bandwagon of those that have been hearing the praises of spanked for eons, but have never had the fortune to try any. i bought a bottle unsniffed since i know it's very loved and figure if it doesn't pan out for me, I won't have trouble finding it a more suitable home. Let's see if it's a keeper, shall we? :twisted:

In the Bottle: Sweet and spicy. Whoever said a comparison to the '05 version of Blood Moon is in order is right on the money. I can see where the cinnamon comparisons have been coming from. However, for me, I'm getting the cassia note instead. (yes, yes, I understand that those are suppossedly the same, but the cassia in, say MB:Underbed or Chocolate, Cassia and Bacon to my nose is NOT the same as the cinnamon in some other blends where cinnamon, not cassia, is specifically listed as a note. Just sayin'.) Anyhoo, it does smell like cassia, but also slightly different, which I guess is why it's cardamon instead- if I *had* to put my finger on the difference, I'd say it's that cassia in BPAL formulas tends to have a dry, cacao quality as an undertone, whereas what I'm smelling here is missing that aspect of it. :blink:

Wet On Skin: Much of the same strong cardomom, but the bourbon is starting to show itself in all the right ways. It's not coming across to me as boozy, exactly, but as adding a sweet, heady depth, in much the way the booze notes add to Smut.

Dry Down: Yeah, this is sexy as HELL. I can see why folks have been willing to sell their first born for a bottle, or even a decant, of this heady, heady substance. NO leather on me whatsoever, which is surprising, as that usually amps on my skin. Instead this is predominantly Cardamom, followed by the Bourbon and the Patchouli mincing in as a distant third. Of that note, it's not even dirty, it's just adding another layer of depth. I'm thinking that with some aging it might show itself a bit more as patchouli often does, but even if that happens, I don't see it overpowering this blend in the least, just piling on more richness to an already rich scent.

In All: Surprisingly low to medium throw, I'm not having the problem of my skin eating it up as some other folks have reported, but it definitely stays closer to the skin than I would expect from these particular notes. It smells to me like a night version of MB:Underbed. Whereas that one is something to wear to work or school or a coffee klatch, this one is for seduction, for night prowling, for dark corners in smoky clubs where dirty, sticky deeds get done ;)

Verdict: Stockpile this one, you'll thank me later.

:luv2: :luv2: :luv2:

Nom, nom, nom. Please excuse me while I snuggle myself. I'm a wierdo in that most scents that other folks find "sexy" I find more comfortable and warm. Still absolutely wonderful, but for some reason my brain just doesn't hop on the sexy train. At first the spice aspect (which to my nose is like a cinnamon-clove kind of note. it doesn't smell at all like the cardomom in Gypsy, but that could have more to do with the note combination) is predominant, sweetened by bourbon. Once it begins to dry a gorgeous patchouli note comes out, a lovely woodsy patchouli, maybe even a tiny bit smoky on my skin? But that could be coming from one of the other notes. Wet, and in the early drydown, this reminds me of well aged Sin, but that comparison doesn't really hold once dry. The leather note in this is one of the varieties that works well on me, ie it isn't at all masculine or overwhelming. It remains very much in the background, providing a very soft, fuzzy sweetness. Overall this is just wonderful, and certainly multiple bottle worthy. I can not wait to see what age does with it!

in the skin: first comes a powerful spicy cinnamon, hot. Then comes leather and bourbon. Not me. Let old though.

I never had the chance to try the original version of Spanked, so my impressions are based on the Revisited edition.

What a brilliant showcase this is for Beth's sense of humor and her ability to tell a story through scent! I have, uh, on occasion received a few smacks on my bottom, and this oil conforms pretty much exactly to my impressions of the experience: the red-hot cardamom comes on sharp and tingly at the outset, before mellowing into a slightly diminished yet still spicy warmth buoyed by the scent of leather, which then leads into a deep, dark, funky sigh of patchouli. Those who complain about the short wear length of Spanked are kind of missing the point--the physical sensations of a spanking are supposed to fade relatively quickly.

Brilliant! Bravo, Beth! Thanks for resurrecting this oil so some of us newcomers could try it, too!

ETA: This. Is. Love. Wearing it multiple days in a row, which is nearly unheard of with me and my BPAL habits. ::swooning::

Edited by wrestlingentropy

Wet it was strong on the spice. warm and sweet with a barely there hint of the leather.

As it dried though the leather came out to play. Hot, sexy, spicy, sweet, leather. I want to just roll around in this scent.

Even my husband who is notorious for his dislike or indifference to perfumes said "That's not bad". Then proceeded to sniff my wrist a couple more times before confirming that he didn't mind that one at all.

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about Spanked coming back. I love the original Spanked. I'm talking about real love.. the open-up-my-decant-and-swoon kind of love. The slather-it-on-and-roll-my-eyes-back kind of love. The yes-I-would-sell-a-kidney-for-a-bottle-of kind of love. So the only thing I was worried about with this Revisited version was.. can this new one possibly be as good as the original? When my bottles arrive, will I have a happy face? Or a sad face?

I am very pleased to announce that... drum roll... I HAVE A HAPPY FACE! Yes, YES! This is good. GOOD. Thank you so much, Beth, for bringing this back - it's a masterpiece.

This new contender for best BPAL ever is more young and shiny than its ancestor - it's like Daniel Craig is to Sean Connery, Chris Robinson to Steven Tyler, Ryan Phillippe to Robert Redford.. you get the idea. The original Spanked has that beautiful smoothness and symmetry to the notes which comes with age and maturity, and this new one is less refined - I can pick up each individual note in here, and the cardamom could do with chilling out a bit - it's quite strong - but the leather is good - smooth, soft, warm - and the bourbon is perfect.. it has that same sexy smoky edge that I love so much in the original Spanked. The patchouli surprised me - I was expecting it to be a bit too 'fresh' for my liking, but nope.. it's quite subtle, very natural in tone, just lovely.

One benefit to this new, shiny version is that it definitely lasts longer on my skin. And I could relate this to an inappropriate comment about the stamina of young vs old.. but I won't. But even with that benefit, I'm still going to stash my bottles away for aging because I think that a few years on this new version will get it to the same point of sumptuousness that the original has. Right now, new Spanked isn't as good as old Spanked - purely because it needs to mature. It needs Conneryising. Or Redfording. Or Clooneying. Whatever.

Anyway, I have to get going - I don't mean to be rude, but I need to spend some quiet time with my new Spanked. Close the door, please.

In the bottle, this is definitely similar to the sniffie I got a while back, an almost scary patchouli-leather-spice combination. On my skin, the cardamom amps at first, but the leather is slowly ascending. We'll see how this goes. That initial hotness fades away, like the initial pain of a spank, into a spicy leathery scent, which is like the pain-tinged pleasure that comes after a good spanking... (Why, yes, I DO know way too much about spankings.) MINE.

Edited by Venneh

Well, I had to try this, as everyone loves Spanked so, and I'd never even tried the original. so I was able to get a hold of a sniffy.

Whoa! Hello there cardamom! This does have the heat of cinnamon candy, so I can see why people think it smells like cinnamon, but on me it is very clearly cardamom, just the strongest cardamom ever. It's like I stuck my nose in a jar of the cardamom pods.

And that's pretty much how it stays. I do get a bit of patch, but that's it. Nothing boozy. No leather, which is odd, because usually I amp leather. Just cardamom

I'm afraid spanked is not my thing, and it's one of those that I can tell aging will not make a difference for me.

Oh well--once less bottle to lust over!

Wow. In the decant this is very sweet with lots of cardamom and chemical leather (like the one in the Traveller, it was chemically to me anywho). I didn't think this was going to work because my kind of leather note is the kind in Hand of Glory or Liz. This isn't that kind of leather. On my skin WOAH. Very sweet. Almost sickly sweet cardamom, which is probably the bourbon making it so sweet. Reminds me of this cardamom tea my mom drinks along with a splash of leather. No patchouli. It's a bit cinnamony but no one can mistake that cardamom scent. As it dries it becomes a bit less sweet, more smoky and spicy ish. The leather is still there being it's chemically self.... Grr. Final verdict. Sweet, smoky, spicy cardamom drowning chemical leather. Not my cup of tea, but I can see how others would like this. May have to try it again, but I'm just not a fan of cardamom or this particular leather note so I'll probably have to let it go.

It seems appropriate that Spanked comes out swinging and then calms down to a smooth but flirty finish. The cardamom translates to red hot cinnamon upon application, which will hopefully calm down with some aging (it’s already better then when first tested upon arrival). As the scent warms up the cinnamon slowly fades to reveal a gorgeous bourbon and leather combination. The leather is the smooth leather of Dee and slightly sweet from the bourbon. It wafts about for a good long while though it’s hard to catch it close to the skin. If you can weather the cardamom, this is a fantastic scent for those who enjoy leather notes.

Ah, Spanked! Spanked was the holy grail of LEs back when I first began BPAL-ing almost 5 years ago and I've been curious about it for years, even though from the note list I knew it probably wouldn't be my thing. Still, I'm thrilled that I finally got to try the 2011 version. It is an intense wallop of cardamom. I got a lot of chemically leather at first but it's much more muted in the drydown, when I can pick up more patchouli--but mostly, this is cardamom cardamom cardamom! It doesn't seem particularly boozy to me, either. It's a very strong scent on my skin. I see why this has been so popular and sought-after, but I know the cardamom will eat my skin alive if I ever dared to apply this post-shower, and the leather stage is a bit too strong, so I'll be leaving Spanked for the people who really love it. But I'm SO glad I got to try it!

I haven't smelled Spanked in years -- a long time ago I swapped off my bottle to a friend who LOVES it. The only thing I remember about it was that the leather was strong.

I was a little surprised when I tried it again this time because it's a lot spicier than I thought it was. The cardamom is pretty strong on me, and the leather and patchouli seem pretty evenly balanced.

Normally I'm not a gal who likes the spicy scents, and cardamom is generally a no-no for me, but with patchouli and leather? Yes, please! I like this more than I remember liking it.

I've not tried the previous Spanked, but it looked good to me. It IS good to me! Yeppers, I done been spanked. YUMMY! The cardamom sings above the other notes for a while, and then the patch joins in, and the two start blending nicely. Mr. Leather never hits me hard, :twisted: but he sort of takes a pull off the bourbon bottle and exhales sweetness over the whole shebang. At extreme drydown, I get a sweetness like the last drop of whiskey in a glass on the nightstand, drifting off to bliss after an evening of questionable behavior. WOOF!

Thankyou, Hillary, for the icon!!!

Edited by ElizabethOSP