Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mellifluous

Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat

LEMON-SCENTED STICKY BAT
...last week Maddy woke me up early in the morning.

"Daddy," she said, "There's a bat on the kitchen window."

"Grumphle," I said and went back to sleep.

Soon, she woke me up again. "I did a drawing of the bat on the kitchen window," she said, and showed me her drawing. For a five year old she's a very good artist. It was a schematic of the kitchen windows, showing a bat on one of the windows.

"Very nice dear," I said. Then I went back to sleep.

When I went downstairs...

We have, instead of dangling fly papers, transparent strips of gluey clear plastic, about six inches long and an inch high, stuck to the windows on the ground floor. When they accumulate enough flies, you peel them off the window and throw them away.

There was a bat stuck to one. He was facing out into the room. "I think he's dead," said my assistant Lorraine.

I peeled the plastic off the window. The bat hissed at me.

"Nope," I said. "He's fine. Just stuck."

The question then became, how does one get a bat (skin and fur) off a fly-strip. Luckily, I bethought me of the Bram Stoker award. After the door had fallen off (see earler in this topic) I had bought some citrus solvent to take the old glue to reglue the door on.

So I dripped citrus solvent onto the grumpy bat, edging him off the plastic with a twig, until a lemon-scented sticky bat crawled onto a newspaper. Which I put on the top of a high woodpile, and watched the bat crawl into the logs. With any luck he was as right as rain the following night...

Sticky-sweet iced lemon sugar!

This has the icy note from waltz of the snowflakes, but is mostly sweet, fresh, lemon. This would make an amazing summer scent imo, cause it is just soo fresh, and chilly, and light. Just like a lemon snowcone or slushie. It was a little too sweet for my personal prefs, but still something with a fun scent.

This arrived today just as I went shopping for lemons to make lemon meringue pie. LOL!

It's like that but without the pastry. Pretty sure this is a keeper for the up-coming hot weather.

Surprised I like this so much as lemon usually overwhelms my skin chemistry.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I made a lemon poppyseed loaf recently that called for sugar infused with meyer lemon zest, and the infused sugar smelled very similar to this blend. It starts off icy, but gets more sticky as time goes on. It stays fairly close to my skin and fades away after 3-4 hours. The lemon is more sweet than tart, and very pure. No hint of any chemical cleaner associations, but the scent is cleansing and refreshing. I imagine it will be in heavy rotation come the dog days of summer.

And dare I say it? If you stripped Dorian down to its sweet, citrusy aspects, you'd smell Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat.

Ok, I LOVE this scent! To me this is how summer smells! Yummy, fresh lemon with a bit of sweet. The closest thing I could compare this to Hello Sugar (B&B Works lotion that came out a few years ago). I'm liking this better though because it's just a bit more tart and it lasts WAY longer. Will be buying multiple bottles.

In the Bottle: Lemony-sweet. Somewhere between Lemonheads candy and the Lemon Merangue Strawberry Shortcake doll I had as a wee lass in the early 1980's :lol:

Wet On Skin: Totally the same.

Dry Down: Same.

In All: Not a morpher in the slightest, with low throw, this is a beautiful sweet scent. Years ago I used to get perfumes at health food stores, and I had one i loved wearing in the summer that was lemon verbena. That one was actually *physically* sticky, which made it dangerous to wear in the hot months, but the lemon-sugar aspect of it kept me coming back for more- that's what this scent invokes for me.

total keeper! :wub2:

In the bottle, this is a lemony-citrus sticky glaze, like that glaze you get on Krispy Kreme donuts, only if there was a citrus type. On my skin, it's almost a lemony gummy or sticky glaze, or lemonheads, very sticky, very lemon. Do you get that sense yet? :P The lemon definitely fades off and isn't as sharp and bright as it dries, but this just isn't my thing.

Straight up sugary lemon. I think of old-fashioned lemonade and lemon pie as I sniff it on my arm. I love it! Makes me think of warmer days ahead.

Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat is exactly what's promised: icy lemon sugar. Straight up. The only morphing it's done is that after an hour of wear, it's no longer so icy but it's definitely still lemon sugar. Oh, I love this and can't wait for this to be my summer staple.

This is not verbena lemon, lemongrass lemon, lemon rind lemon, cough drop lemon, or lemon cleaner lemon. This is LEMONADE lemon! :D Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat is like a really good lemonade, the kind made with real lemons and real sugar, none of that artificial stuff. It's as if the sugar is vanilla sugar too; either there's a tinge of vanilla somewhere or something vanillic in the "icy" part (I've noticed there is in other "icy" BPALs). It's summery love in a bottle!

Alas, this one does go to furniture polish on me. Not unexpected as this often happens with strongly lemony scents and my skin, but I just had to take the chance. *lesigh* Off to the swaps!

I get that sweet lemon scent also, but when it starts to dry a rich tobacco leaf scent joins the lemon. I love this and am having to sit on my hands to keep from buying a backup!

Brilliant. I love this. I love lemon (and bats and Gaiman) so I knew I had to have this. It's BPAL does London Lemon Curd, but the sweet, custardy lemon is layered over a brighter lemon--more like a Lemonhead. This is so good, it makes my mouth water, and I seriously want to lick my arm. I hope this bat hangs from the BPAL rafters for a long, long time. I want to buy it by the gallon, I want to scent everything with it. :wub2:

I'm not sure about this one. I ADORE lemon, but I think the sugar comes out much more strongly on me!

In the bottle it's fantastic. Smells like one of those candy gummy lemon wedges. On me...the lemon first turns fairly sour, and then the sugar comes out. REALLY comes out. I feel like I smell more like a Strawberry Shortcake doll than anything. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it.

This has the lemon note from Great Grey Witch...it's just much stronger mixed with sugar! LOTS OF SUGAR! It dries down to smell like lemon sugar and quickly my skin eats the lemon up! (as it does with most citrus blends) Pretty while it lasted. Glad it is going to a new home though!

So on wet, I adore Lemon Scented Sticky Bats. It's lemon candy. But like the lemon is on steroids. It's lemon, lemon verbena, lime that smells like lemon... you get the picture. And sugar. The sugar is definitely vanilla sugar. As it dries, the lemon dissipates and I get a warm, vanilla sugar skin musk sort of scent.

YUM. :yum:

I was expecting to love this...and wet, it was lip-smackingly delicious. Sugary lemon yum with awesome throw.

But within a short time, it was less sugary and turned, appropriately, I guess, into Chiroptera, which I decided I didn't love after all. The awesome throw turned into way too much throw.

Heartbreaking.

I had great expectations for this perfume, however, is not a citrus scent, only a sour smell in my skin becomes nauseating. Damn chemical skin :cry2: .

I once left a box of Lemonheads in my car for 5 hours at 100+ degree heat - the resulting smell is almost exactly what this perfume smells like on me. Lemony, sugary, warm. It has a lot of throw, I amp most citrus, and lasts on my skin for ages, and ages (I put it on for the first time in the morning, and could still smell it the next morning before I showered.)

As a couple of people have mentioned, this doesn't really morph on me at all - the smell in the bottle is the smell when I first apply, and a fainter version lasts on my skin. A definite keeper for me.

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat

In the imp: lemon and sugar, but it’s greener and fresher than expected.

Wet on skin: a blend of real lemon with lemon herbs like lemon balm, lemongrass, verbena, litsea cubeba, and sugar.

Dry on skin: that’s more like it! It smells of lemon sherbets! You know those little hard lemon shaped lemon sweets with the fizzy centre? That’s what this reminds me of. I still smell hints of lemongrass and verbena but now a proper lemon note-a blend of intensely aromatic peel and tangy juice-is dominant. I also smell some pale sugar in there. It doesn’t smell like the lemon and sugar on my pancakes, or like lemon curd, the lemon is a lot more intense and candied, almost like lemon marmalade with a shot of limoncello topped with lemon sherbets. It’s gorgeous. I also wonder if there’s lemon blossom, because this has a fresh, almost cologne-like overtone, and it contrasts with a very sweet sugar base.

After a while: I’m not sure I’m crazy about this. Don’t get me wrong, I love lemon scents, especially sweet ones, but there’s a slightly sickly feel to this that is best described as the scent of spilt lemonade (not the home made stuff, but something like 7up or Sprite) that’s been warmed by the sun and is becoming really sticky and unpleasant, like a lemonade stain. I think it’s the sugar note that’s too much for me. There’s also a whiff of plastic to it at times, and at other times I smell the gritty scent of lemongrass, or a slightly synthetic lemon that would be closer to the scent of lemon flypaper than real lemons-which fits the inspiration.

Verdict: I was looking forward to this, expecting the ultimate lemon sugar scent, and in many ways it is…so why am I not blown away? This is gloriously and intensely lemony and sweetly sugary, but I’m still wondering whether I love it or not. I love the moments when it smells like sherbet lemons, but there are times when the lemon note smells a bit too much like lemongrass and the sugar becomes a bit sickly. Perhaps vanilla rather than sugar may have been nicer? Maybe I’m just being fussy, but there are other lemon scents, like Skytyping with Chemtrails and Ides of March 2010, which are predominantly sweet lemon, and I think I prefer them to this. LSSB may be a little too much for me whereas Chemtrails does lemon sugar in a subtler way. So I decided not to keep this one.

Is it a keeper? Compared with other lemon scents it’s not a favourite.

If you like this, try: Skytyping with Chemtrails, Ides of March 2010, Great Grey Witch, Lustration, Geek Goth, Carnaval Diabolique

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Lemon is such a tricky note; it's a fine line between citrus deliciousness and something you'd clean windows with. Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat keeps crossing the line, unfortunately. It's very VERY lemony and sweet, sometimes, but every few minutes I'm getting a more herbal, lemongrass-y note that sends it into bathroom cleaner territory. It's veering back and forth between sweet lemon sugar goodness (very much like Fresh Lemon Sugar!) and chemical, herbal sharpness. I'm glad I didn't make a blind bottle purchase of this one. Great for people who have good luck with the lab's lemon notes, but a little iffy on the rest of us!

Oh my god, it's a sweet lemon lollipop that's been dunked in Dorian, but is still mostly all lemon lollipop. I need another bottle. No. Two bottles. No. A MILLION.

If your "signature" scent is Dorian, you are going to die of scent-joy when you try this. It's like Dorian's hot, sassy sister.

ohgod.

Icy - yep.

Lemony - yep.

Sugary - yep.

Do I love this? yep. :wub:

Straightforward scent that keeps me smiling every time it wafts around me and I catch a sniff. This will be wonderful to wear on hot summer days. Lemon Scented Sticky Bat is really fun! I don't get 'lemon cleaner' from it at all, it's sugary and cold.

I love sweet, I love lemon, and I love Beth's snow and ice notes. I was so excited for this one I could barely stand it!

But in the decant, wet, and dry this was much the same for me: a candied, powdery lemon/lemon verbena with an unpleasant underlying musty note. I sometimes have serious issues with sugar notes, and I think they are to blame here. :cry2:

Oh god, this is delicious! It reminds me of my grandma's lemon pies with a sugary glaze top. Good throw too- I can smell it wafting back up at me while I type. A definite summer staple and will need more than just the two measly decants I have now. :lol: