Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Koumori

Antony

The embodiment of Classic masculinity. A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil.

First sniff: Not what I was expecting. It’s a bright but gentle lemony-herbiness.

Wearing: There’s no question this is a man’s scent, but it’s not the typical cologney/aftershavey sort of thing. It’s deeper, more self-assured. I haven’t tried on anything with frankincense in quite some time, because it always hates me, but this time it seems to be behaving. I like this quite a lot and will add it to the “try on my guy” pile.

This is a lot fresher than what I was expecting, but I still really like it.

It's very herbal, grassy, and sweet on top, with the depth of leather and and resin underneath.

As it dries, it darkens; the bottom notes become more prominent and a subtle spice emerges.

I don't think that this is too masculine for women. It feels confident and mysterious. Actually, onme this smells like a somewhat lighter, possibly daytime version of King of Clubs.

First Impression: Green and herby - basil and bay or sage - hmmmm, I think sage. Also, something either airy or watery and a hint of citrus along with a resin and/or wood base.

Dries down to: Herbs, particularly basil.

Additional Comments: After checking the description, I was pretty close on this one. The herbs, especially the basil, are so in-your-face :icon_eek: prominent on me. I wish more of the ambergris and frankincense came through. I didn't get any leather at all.

Lasted: Overnight. (I'm not sure I'm so big on basil first thing in the morning.)

Rating: 2 out of 5

Masculine with a lot of dry grasses and frankinsence, this was strong, decisive and clean. I would have adored this save that I'm apparantly highly allergic to something in it so I can't give a much more detailed review beyond that save that my throat got all burny on this. Eh, next time.

The clean, fresh scent of green grass, but with an intriguing resinous undertone from the frankincense. There’s also a slightly musky, definitely manly odor. And I love the smell of fresh basil, so I’m very happy I can smell the basil in this! I was very sleepy when I put this on, and it made me feel energized and refreshed. I guess this is a dude’s scent, but I think it smells pretty awesome on me :P

This is spicy and masculine, with a touch of androgyny so that it's fun for me to wear. I can't really identify the individual notes because it's so well blended. Very playful.

Antony is one of the few masculine blends that I don't really like. I like the herbal combination of sage and basil, it gives it a sort of spicy green scent. However, the leather completely devours all of the other notes on me :P. I end up with a sort of funky/burnt leather smell. I don't understand it at all, especially since a lot of people didn't even smell leather in this. My skin chemistry is being evil.

I'll have to try it out on the boy and see if this works on him, but it's definitely one that I can't get away with wearing.

I like this one - It is a manly scent but I think it is quite girly too (its got a green herby smell that is really nice as I'm not usually a fan of green smelling scents). Mmm Very nice!

a review of Antony

Vial ~ On initial sniff, I can pick up the sage and basil. There is a

slight undertone of something sweet, which could be either basil or the

ambergris. I am not sure what ambergris smells like on it's own.

Wet ~ The sage sticks out really strong, I am not picking up any leather

at all.

Drying ~ This certainly is an interesting scent and I can imagine that it

would smell terrific on a man. So far the blend smells the same as it does

in the vial.

Dry ~ On my wrist, the sage still sticks out, but it is not the predominant

scent. In fact the basil is taking over and it reminds me of my kitchen

when I am cooking with fresh basil. The leather is beginning to peak out

but the scent is still very green, yet sweet. The drydown is a bit toned

down from what it started with in the vial.

Fade ~ This is one of those scents that last on my skin. The throw is

somewhat medium

Final thoughts ~ I am one of those weird women that like to wear scents

that are more meant for a man, not that I would buy a bigger bottle of this

for myself, but definitely would for a man. But I will be keeping my imp and

wearing it on that odd occaision when it strikes me. On3 a scale of 1 to 5,

I give it a 3.

I wore this for the first time when I went to see the Serenity film, and I think it was a good choice!

Manly sweet leather. mmm. yum. A warrior's scent indeed - gritty enough to capture the vibe of a knock down physical fight (and the film was full of those :P) while somehow also capturing the man-made feel of war and battles (and spaceships!)

A little too manly for me, unfortunately, but a beautiful blend nontheless, and for me it now encompasses the gritty determination of last-man-standing punch-outs :D

At first this is all musky and ambery with a hint of smoke, quite strong, too. Then it goes green, which I assume is the sage and basil, but a couple of hours later it fades to something ethereal...mellow, but not at all thin. I really like this, it reminds me of a less sweet Coyote, actually. Don't think I'll buy a bottle, but I'll definitely use up the imp.

Oro

Wet it was very citrus and herbal. After an hour or so the frankincense came through and blended really well with the basil and sage. With the ambergris I think it's a bit sweet with the savory. A really fantastic blend.

As many have commented above, I find it much more masculine than other BPAL scents, but on me it smells like the promise of Calvin Klein's CK. But much more mellow, less sharp, and decidedly more pleasant. Sadly, it also appears to be fading rapidly. I would have to buy a 5ml and probably apply it more than once during the day to maintain the scent.

This scent is soft yet spicy in the bottle,rather masculine.After it dries I smell mostly amber which my husband loves and I love on him!I would definitely consider purchasing this,mainly for my husband.I don't dislike it on myself,there are simply too many other scents that I would prefer to wear.I think it's very classy and suave.A guy could wear this any time of day or year and smell great!

I got this as a gimp from the Lab.

In the vial: Herbal top notes deepened with resin and leather. Masculine, but I like it enough to try it on.

Wet: Incense top note, green herbal middle note. Deepened with leather.

Dry: I love this scent, although it is too masculine for me to wear. I will order a bottle for DH. :P

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by Delphinine

I picked this up in a lot of masculine scents off ebay (only about 5 of them ... ), trying to find a good one to sweet-talk my boi into trying on.

This one nearly bowled me over. Spicy/rich/sexgod smell wafting up from the bottle..I got him to get a bit very next day >:-)

In the imp: I can detect the frankincense and the herbs here. I am completely unfamiliar with ambergris, but I don't think it is strong, as nothing smells unfamiliar.

Wet: The frankincense is strong, but something is mediating it. So far, this scent is much, much more dignified than its namesake. :P

Drydown and wear: This isn't terribly strong, but I like the scent. The frankincense is still the most prominent note--and I think the ambergris might be coming out on dry-down, because there is something that I cannot pinpoint. It's a lovely oil...but I'm afraid I have to swap it. Mark Antony may seriously be my least favorite historical figure of all time (Non Mass Murderers Division), and silly as it seems...someone else gets to benefit.

Antony is so much lighter than I would have guessed from the description. On me, it's an ambery herbal blend, light on the resin and vauguely outdoorsy like the scent memory of the woods on clothes after a long walk through them.

It's much prettier and softer than I would have thought from the name, and strikes me as gender-neutral, although some of my favorite BPAL blends are on the quote-unquote masculine side, for what that's worth.

Antony reminds me of some of the religious blends, probably due to the frankincense. It's sort of like an outdoor church. Nice.

straight from the imp and applied this is incredible with my chemistry!

i get the musky leather, ambergris, frankincense, basil and sage....this is woodsy

and herbally.... :D

i :P this blend and will savor my lovely imp :D

This is gorgeous, worn leather with herbs and resins. There's a bit of sweet grass in the background, as well as a smokiness. I really like this, but it's just not me. As soon as I have a willing boy I'm going to slather him in it, though! :P

I can't make out any of the individual notes in Antony while it's wet; it just smells like men's cologne to me. Damn tasty men's cologne, but that's all I can tell you.

Once on, the frankincense kicks up, as it is wont to do -- there's a veil of herbs on top, but it's very light -- and while it's okay, it's not my thing.

I do want to try this one out on my husband, though. :P

Edited by karen

In the imp: herby cloying musk.

On me, wet: light musk, with a sharp resin beneath it. This is odd, and not really what I was expecting at all - it's both lighter and sharper than the described scents sound, and I swear I can smell *anise* underneath it.

On me, dry: The frankincense is making this a bit soapy on me. This is still lighter and fresher than I was expecting, though - very green and citric. I don't smell anything I recognise specifically as sage or basil in this at all, but there's a generically herby tinge in the mix.

On the SO: Insipid pale musk when applied, fading really fast and never really changing.

Verdict: Not one for me, I think, and not great on the SO either. It's not really grabbing me as particularly masculine, I also note - it seems pretty androgynous to me.

antony.jpg

I smell lavender, but it doesn't grab center stage here, it's made to start off in league with the other ingredients, which is a very pleasant surprise. It is very masculine, but if a woman were to wear it I think it would come off more like she'd just been for a roll in the hay with a great smelling guy rather than she stole his cologne.

After that it gathers itself into an almost floral (masculine floral) melange, with a citrus like bit and the blend is so seamless I can't begin to pick out anything other than amber of some sort holding it together. It is really a beautiful creation which has to be experienced to be understood. I think Antony is one of the seminal works from BPAL. A gorgeous item for anyone.

In the vial this was herby, when freshly applied, it immediately created a feeling of warmth. Like deep warmth. ('Snuggly' is a word that comes to my semi-accurate cerebral English vocabulary input thingy.)

Yet the next moment there was a sudden higher pitched and almost juicy green smell.

Although this is a masculine blend for me, too, I don't think it smells all that cologney. I do get that hint of anise, which I think is a fake due to the combination of that peppery spiciness frankincense sometimes has on my skin, and the sage (and ambergris?).

When first applied I smelled a lot more high fresh green (yes, almost citrusy) notes, than now after it's settled a bit (app. 15 minutes). The scent has shifted to the spicy side, with that foggy density of frankincense smoke.

That seems to mellow down, because still a bit later I'm finally hit with a definite hint of warm thick leather harnish. I never smelt any, but Antony smells exactly like it would in my mind now. lol

There's also a rich meadow ground that many feet have trampled over, it's heated yet humid, with clusters of damp grasses in the sun.

It really reminds pre fire weapon wars, but rather on the end of a victorious day, torn, but knowing to be alive the warrior hero returns home to tell his family they are safe... I feel so stupid writing this. This is not me, that's teh perfume. I'll simply pretend that it's a small village that this man went to war for a just cause for. That he knows everyone he's been fighting and killing others for or whatever makes the difference for me.

Despite that it has me seriously worrying about my attitude towards war, this feels very safe, alive, grounded and warm, a bit like someone who protects you.

I'm not well educated in Roman history (I read something online some weeks ago, but have forgotten most details). However, this could well be the scent of someone who leads a war against a super-power city that he had been a part of before. There's strength and confidence in the own capacities, or maybe even more so motives and ambitions. It's very down to the ground, though.

Well, I'm getting carried away. This is a gorgeous blend, try it! On yourself or your boy or your girl. I never paid much attention to it when combining my imp wishlists, but it's a definite winner for me.

This is a nice, warm, clean herbal scent, and I quite like it, except that it smells like it would be more at home on a guy than on me. It's not bad on me -- it's not that overwhelming "Hey, she's wearing men's cologne!" feeling I got from Sri Lanka, Oblivion and a few others -- but it does smell decidely more male than female.

It's a good one -- distinctive enough to be interesting, but not enough so to smell "weird" in, say, an office setting. It's just sort of pleasant and quietly elegant, and would make a great everyday scent for a guy. But not so much on me.

Grade: B-