Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alizarin

Standing Female Nude

Red rose and red currant with amber, blood orange, myrrh, and golden musk.

Wet: straight-up rose, almost a wet rose. Dew-kissed and watery.

Amber starts to show up almost immediately, going slightly powdery but thankfully not for long. Getting a bit of myrrh on the edges, but still mostly a soft rose.

As it settles, it's warm and soft and the notes are almost indistinguishable.

I've had this comment window open for hours trying to describe this. It's not quite floral, it's not quite fruity. It's this lovely soft rosy amber with something sweet and almost creamy playing around the edges. I only get a hint of the orange glowing brightly somewhere just out of reach, like a hidden juicy center.

Really, just lovely.

In the bottle, I'm getting red rose and currant and orange, very red, very bright. On my skin, rose and currant and orange, with the myrrh starting to creep up.

I mainly get the rose in the bottle, a watery rose that seems darker than usual.

The rose remains dominant on my skin and I'm somewhat disappointed by that, because I was looking forward to the blood orange. I don't think it's going to be there for me :( Getting a touch of the myrrh and amber, but this is mainly just rose on me. It's weird because even though I do like it (I wish Peacock Queen had been THIS strong a rose) I'm still a bit let down. Hopefully this will intensify over time and the other notes will lift and become equal to the rose.

This is mostly amber, rose, and orange. Stays fairly true from wet to dry. It's a lovely, seductive scent on my skin, though I believe just a decant will suffice.

Reading the announcement of the Lupers, this was the one that first jumped out and said I AM FULL OF WIN FOR YOU! As if Beth had been inside my head and created a scent from a short list of favorites. But in reality, I'm finding it a little "meh." It's pretty, but it falls short of the perfection I envisioned, especially next to the other Lupers I've tried and been amazed by (see my review for Kypris :wub2: ).

The scent on my skin is a demurely pretty combo of red rose, orange, and an amber that's getting stronger as I type this. I get a bit of myrrh too, which is really nice. As it dries, the orange and rose become much less distinct. There's no throw to speak of. Again, I'll say this is a very pretty scent, I'm just not as blown away by it as I am some of the other Lupers. My decant I will keep, but I might be OK without a full bottle.

Standing Female Nude - This is a gorgeous fruity-floral-resin scent. In the bottle, I smell tons of red rose, but the moment it touches my skin, the juicy red currant, dry amber, and sweet, dark blood orange are evident and those notes blend together so amazingly well. As the oil warms up on my skin, the musk starts to come out and it definitely lends a beautiful, warm, golden vibe to the scent, blending perfectly with the orange and amber. As the scent dries on my skin, I can really begin to smell the husky, smoky myrrh, and I'm positively adoring the synergy of the notes in this blend. Everthing compliments everything else so perfectly. I used to be a huge fan of red rose, but over the years, have discovered so many other scents I prefer to rose, and this scent reminds me again why I once loved rose so much. I don't have much rose left in my repertoire, and I think this will be a wonderful addition to my perfume collection. This bright, juicy, sunshiny-warm rose scent will be particularly perfect on warm, golden days in the late-spring/summer months. :wub2:

This starts out strong on the tart, fruity red currant, blood orange and fresh red rose. It dried down to mostly strong red rose, with soft fruitiness, myrrh, and a bit musk in the background (which gets a little powdery). I find the blend a bit cloying.

I love amber notes from other companies, but bpal's amber notes almost always turn to baby powder on my skin. The mix of amber + musk here goes very powdery on me. So I get baby powder, rich red rose, and a hint of tart orange and sour red currant. Too powdery and the fruit is too tart and dry for my tastes.

Versailles (Wanderlust GC blend) is a lot better, in my opinion, for roses, orange citrus, and a gold feel...

Mmm, this is lovely. It opens with rose and tart currant and then MYRRH--really gorgeous, dark myrrh which always blends so well with rose! The blood orange floats on top, just barely detectable. I don't find this particularly musky--the rose and myrrh and fruits really are the standouts here. Very pretty and I'll be trying this again for sure; it's wonderfully feminine.

Richly fruity, resinous rose-- it's a very red, juicy, almost hot rose, somehow. The blood orange is not a distinct note (a good thing, I can kind of amp orange), but there's a bite of citrus that really adds a sparkling depth. The myrrh (which gets stronger and stronger as it dries) keeps everything in check and serves to darken what might otherwise be something a little too girly for my taste. I'm not actually getting a lot of musk, but that's okay, because this is already very fine and complex.

The decant will definitely be making a home with me.

I was hoping this would be a really full-bodied rose blend on me like Pothon Meter or Harlot v2, but I amp this rose to the point that it's mostly red rose with a hint of tart redcurrant. I was really hoping for a rich resinous background like that in the Harlot proto but it seems that rose is all my chemistry is going to give me with this one.

Edited by Invidiana

Decant!

Imp: Bright, citrusy blend. Hint of rose.

Wet: Orange and rose, hint of amber warmth.

Drydown: Orangy rose, slight warm waft. Very faint, a touch a plastic to the edges.

Dry: Slightly fruity rose. Reminiscent of Persephone.

My rating: 4/5

Light, lovely scent...but I already have Persephone and don't really need this.

In the bottle: A blood orange has been squeezed all over a freshly-picked red rose.

Wet: The orange reigns in solitary splendour. But the red currant is peeking from behind the throne.

The dry-down: The rose has made a come-back, but the amber is sneaking into the party, and is ruining the party. The myrrh and musk are only present as something adding a spicy richness, but faint, to the blend. Another one for aging, and meanwhile use in the scent locket.

i kind of like this one, it's a sexy amber-musky rose...and i think the "golden" musk makes these roses seem more yellow than red, but maybe a little deeper. like a red rose. luckily, the red currant is subtle and/or non-existent, because sometimes currants turn plasticky on my skin. the orange is pretty subtle too-it's just a tinge of brightness in the background. i quite like this one!

Wet, this is a lovely fresh amberey rose with a bit of citrus. I find it quite similar to White Rose of the Unity Set, but this would be like that only made with red rose instead of white, if that makes sense. After a bit, the amber and orange fades, quite surprising, as amber usually likes to stick around on me. It's now a pretty, light fresh red rose, nothing voluptuous or sexy. Innocent and pretty in it's own way. I wish the amber stayed, but as it is, I don't need any more of this, thought I can really understand the appeal of this blend. I could imagine a little girl, all dressed in pink, with ringlets wearing this blend. Damn, I wish it stayed the same as when it was wet.

Rose, and red rose that that. This sort of reminds me to Rose Red, but with amber and some musk in the background instead of the icy/plant stem/apple overtones.

Pretty, light rose.

This is going to sound crazy, but from the decant/first applied, all I was smelling was ketchup. :think:

Then the rose came out and joined... the ketchup.

WTF is up with my skin chemistry right now?

Rose! Rich, luscious, nose-tickly red rose. And sharp red currant. That's pretty much all I get from this blend (but your results may vary.. I amp rose in crazy proportions) so I'm very disappointed because I wanted everything *but* the rose from this blend.

So unfortunately I can't comment on the amber, blood orange, myrrh or golden musk. All of those should have been beautiful, especially the amber + blood orange combo, but alas.. rose is a fiend.

One day I will invent a device to extract or minimise unwanted notes from my BPALs. And rose will be the first to go. Then perhaps I'll be able to enjoy some of these lovely blends :huh?:

Rose and musk and amber and myrrh... the currant is presenting as a tartness, but not really red currant. Te orange is brightening up the place, ut like the currant, I don't feel like I smell orange exactly. For a floral blend, this is nice, but I really wanted to have it be more fruit-heavy.

Ahh rose...you're so beautiful to me in dark, resinous blends, but you give me a headache otherwise. This is one of those times when rose is blended with lighter notes, turning it into rose soap on steroids. I can't even enjoy the golden musk, amber, red currant and blood orange. sunshinedaisybliss said this would be better with the rose extracted, and I have to agree.

Sniffed: A bright, fruity-sweet mix of rose, currant, orange and amber.

On skin: Bright, bold and uplifting. All the notes are blooming together: rose, currant and orange blend to form this sweet, heady top bouquet. Golden, dry amber gilds the floral-fruity notes. Something deep and fragrant is floating at the bottom of this blend, possibly the myrrh and golden musk -- this is very beautiful but, alas, fleeting. Standing Female Nude is a radiant floral-fruity blend, clear, sweet and dry. It indeed captures the beauty of this female nude, her full-bodied and voluptuous and naked, but not sexual, beauty. Colour impression is vermillion.

Verdict: A very beautiful blend that really captures the Venustas image! I find it a bit too bold and flattened, however, and it's not entirely my type of scent. May let it go...

I'm very picky about rose scents (my grandmother used to use a rose-scented lotion, and anything that smells similar to that automatically reminds me of old ladies) but this one is pretty nice. It does smell like all three things: rosey, fruity, and musky/resinous. The rose was for sure the strongest when it was wet, but now that it's dry it's pretty evenly all three scents. Not bad!

btw, I've got Snow White nearby as well, and the two of these scents together actually smell really good.