Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

She Who Conceals Love-Affairs
Black narcissus, purple orchid, neroli, white sandalwood, ambergris, plum musk, jonquil, thyme, oakmoss, and grapefruit.

I can't believe I'm the first to review this!

In the bottle: sort of clean but fruity. I'm getting mainly plum and grapefruit with maybe some jonquil.

First on: Not very strong. Very clean and sort of cold. I think I'm picking up oakmoss. Much less fruity, with the narcissus, orchid, and sandalwood starting to peek out. It's sort of a haughty floral. Definitely on the sophisticated side of things. Very well blended, and nothing really stands out and screams "I'm X note, look at me!" when I wear it. I was worried about the thyme, but I'm not picking up it at all. The ambergris is also very low key on me, although it does come to play more once it's fully dry. Dry I'd say it reminds me a tiny bit of Lamia, which could be the orchid

Overall verdict: I really like this one. It's a somewhat muted floral that smells both clean and dark at the same time.

Kytherian starts out as plum, grapefruit, and orchid in the bottle, very bright, very fruity. On my skin, the same plum-grapefruit-orchid combo. Hmm. I like. This may end up being a keeper.

Edited by Venneh

Hello there, Kytherian! I got this one for the plum musk and I am so glad I did :) A beautiful, fruity floral. It's sexy and understated and really, really lingers. Gorgeous.

Wet: ooh wow. I didn't want to like this because what a naughty naughty gal.. concealing love affairs! Hurmph! But this truly is a dazzling scent. 1st strongest are the orchid and plum musk, followed by neroli, narcissus, grapefruit. Sweet flowing purple reminding me of suspiro here and there.

Drydown: sweet narcissus and plum with neroli, sandalwood, and a touch of thyme. I wished to smell more oakmoss, but that's ok. Nice supporting actress for this one. The suspiro association is still there, but this is more sugary and a little darker. It fades somewhat quickly.. oh the similarity to real love affairs is becoming obvious. hahaha

Lovely! Definitely in the fruity-floral category, but not really one of those bright/sweet fruity-florals. More elegant than that. The plum musk is divine. It for sure smells purple, but usually when I describe a floral as purple it's because of violet, and this is different. It's purple because it's plummy. The grapefruit adds a sparkle over the top and keeps it from being too floral. Not heady at all -- very graceful and pretty.

I like this one quite a lot.

Kytherian - Wow! This is an absolute stunner! I had no idea that with notes like narcissus and neroli in this (which I dislike), I would :heart: :heart: :heart: this so much! The plum musk is by far the dominant note and it's so amazing there simply aren't words. The ambergris is the second strongest note on me, but my skin and ambergris have been having a love-affair for many years, they get along like two peas in a pod, so I'm not surprised by the warm, golden muskiness the ambergris gives this blend, and I wouldn't have thought it would work well with plum, but wow, it really does. The thyme is faint, but adds a bit of a bright herbal sweetness, and the grapefruit also lends the scent a bit of sweet juiciness, while the white sandalwood gives the scent of a bit of a dry, woody base. The florals aren't remotely heady, overwhelming, soapy, or anything else unpleasant often attributed to florals. They're in absolute perfect balance with the other notes, and while the scent does have a trace of a floral vibe, on me, it's not really a scent I would classify as a traditional floral. Overall this is an A++++++ scent. It's very unique and well-blended, and most of all, absolutely gorgeous. :wub2: God, I love this.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

I mainly get florals (mostly orchid), musk, plum and grapefruit from this one. It settles into a well-blended and heady floral musk, with hints of fruit. This one strongly reminds me of some oriental floral perfumes you find in dept. stores.

My husband said that this "smells like grape jelly. and soap." I can definitely see that. I get soapy, sharp, slightly tropical smelling florals and tart grapefruit. It's very sharp and perfumey, and gives me a headache. I had to scrub this one off...

Dazzling and elegant are adjectives others have used that strike me as very appropriate for this scent.

Combining Plum and Grapefruit, two of my favorite notes, was a stroke of genius. And they absolutely manage to keep the Florals well behaved and fresh.

Lovely.

I was excited for this blend because of the plum musk note. What does that even mean, plum musk?

Wet: Soft floral, with added sweetness. It feels like I'm standing near a non-vanilla fragrant orchid.

Drydown: Now this is really starting to open up. The oakmoss is behaving itself, which is good because that's one I amp to the high heavens. I don't get too much grapefruit from it, just florals balanced by a sophisticated sweetness.

An hour later: Well, apparently this gets stronger on me. Drunk guy at bar last night comes over to me and my friend and asks what smells so heavenly and ladylike. My friend and I each point at the other one, and he looks at me and says, "It's you. I know you're married- your man shouldn't let you out without him." Then proceeded to not leave us alone until my friend said something completely offensive. Also, I am not married, I wear a band on my left ring finger.

Overall: I included that long story(which I actually shortened) because of the She Who Conceals Love Affairs title of Kytherian. It's a surprisingly powerful fragrance for how light it begins. I now have to decide if this is bottle worthy. The thing that's holding me back is that I don't know if I'm up to handling the potential trouble this could cause!

Decant!

Imp: Plums and narcissus - very 'purple' smell. Yum!

Wet: Jonquil adding a liquid floral note, complex floral blend. Less purple.

Drydown: Soap with a candied throw. Boo.

Dry: Very, very faint purple soap.

My rating: 1/5

Yup yup. What they said. Very purple floral. I can't make out the individual notes, but it lasts & lasts. It reminds me of Lune Noire, but darker. It makes me wish purple scents worked on me.

Kytherian is a very lush, tropical sort of floral. I get hints of narcissus and plum, with a LOT of orchid. I am beginning to wonder if i don't amp up orchids. As the case may be, the grapefruit is a zingy zest on wet, but definitely dries to a musky orchid.

Very clean, very white, very heady. Part of me really likes it, the other part is not so sure because this has a pretty big throw.

wow, this is not what i expected from the notes at all. at first, this smells just like shampoo, a lot like head and shoulders smells, actually. it's basically a clean, aquatic floral scent. after the drydown, it becomes a little more interesting: the orchid, jonquil and plum musk become more apparent. it's very "perfumy" and i kind of like it, but i am not sure if i would wear it much. i'll add it to my re-try list.

Lovely! Definitely in the fruity-floral category, but not really one of those bright/sweet fruity-florals. More elegant than that. The plum musk is divine. It for sure smells purple, but usually when I describe a floral as purple it's because of violet, and this is different. It's purple because it's plummy. The grapefruit adds a sparkle over the top and keeps it from being too floral. Not heady at all -- very graceful and pretty.

I like this one quite a lot.

I agree 100%. I don't know if you are familiar with Morgause, but Kytherian reminds me of Morgause, but it's the grapefruit that kind of makes it lighter and more sparkly. Morgause is richer and deeper, more for evening, and Kytherian is like the sister that is daytime wearable and lovely for the Spring to come.

Wet, very fresh, citrussy floral. Dry, the black narcissus comes out, and it's a little heady florally, but still nice with the citrus. Even though I find narcissus heady, it really is quite nice here, and I know there was a TP blend that had this particular note in it that I liked. Nice, but not sure if I need a whole bottle of this. May track down a decant at some point.

In the bottle: ORCHID.

Wet: ORCHID.

Dry: It settles into a nice, musky floral, almost sweet. I still smell the orchid, but it's no longer overwhelming. I think the plum musk sweetens and calms it. I don't smell the grapefruit or thyme at all, which I expected to cut through the sweetness and the musk and sharpen it, but those notes died on my skin. It ends up being a warm floral musk, which is lovely, but there isn't much staying power.

On first application this is a pretty cloud of purply florals, with the slightest opium-like note underlying it. (I think it's actually the combination of neroli and ambergris that makes me think "opium." Huh.) It's not sweet, but not very much, and over time it takes on a super-fancy-soap sort of scent. The sandalwood peeks out somewhat, but the orchid-and-sandalwood ends up smelling very nice and soapy to my nose.

Sniff: A big whiff of purple and white flowers!

Wet: Rich and strong florals, mainly orchid and narcissus. There's also a clarity from the grapefruit and thyme. I definitely sense the warmth of amber mixed with the flowers. This is almost heady, but it manages to keep a certain freshness that allows it to sit lightly on the skin.

Dry: The flowers stay strong, with just a hint of pleasant powder. It's gotten warmer and more earthy. This is so charming and pretty, a beautiful mixture of white and purple swirled with gold.

ITI: Jonquil and plum are the most prevalent notes, followed in close order by the neroli. It's floral, but pretty.

Wet: I get jonquil, orchid, the rich, plummy musk, neroli, and just a touch of sandal wood. It's strongly floral on my skin, but I think this would work well for anyone who likes overly womanly florals.

Dry: The lightly soapy florals, the narcissus and jonquil, are still present, but very faint on my skin after only 6 hours. Since I like my scents richer, greener, and more oriental, this one really isn't for me.

Kytherian

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL)

Lupercalia: Ode to Aphrodite (Limited Edition)

She Who Conceals Love-Affairs

Black narcissus, purple orchid, neroli, white sandalwood, ambergris, plum musk, jonquil, thyme, oakmoss, and grapefruit.

In the bottle this has very little to no fragrance oddly enough. On musk in The sandalwood and thyme come out in this very faintly with this slightly spicy green and wood incense note. I made be picking up a faint tinge of floral but not anything I can identify specifically which is odd as florals and neroli tend to go crazy on my skin. After a little while the floral and musk note joins in more strongly that strangely enough no citrus notes.

This remains an oddly weak fragrance on me very little throw with a strong wood in green note fragrance with the faint floral aftertaste. Still no citrus notes. It's nice enough just not exactly what I was expecting.

Super excited about Plum musk, so I tried this one out. But I was afraid of the florals. I just don't really like florals =(

Unfortunately it went exactly that path. Musky, floral, a touch of fruity sweet. It's a bit dark but yet tempered? Nice scent for someone who enjoys those encompassing deep musky florals.