Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
SophieCedar

Apatrophia

She Who Expels Sinful Lusts
A complex Eastern musk with orange blossom, peppermint, lime peel, spikenard, petitgrain, and white cedar.

Wet: ooh wow. Strong spicy eastern musk with a multitude of ingredients that heighten my senses. The eastern musk is beautiful, sweet, spicy, slightly watery, and a little mournful. How romantic! The additions, oddly enough, stand apart on my skin instead of blending and amplifying the musk. I can smell the peppermint, orange blossom, lime rind, and petitgrain.. (aka: zzzing!! I'm awake!) Very green, with watery spicy notes from the musk.

Drydown: ok everything is settling and melding with the musk finally. I think the wet phase caused me to experience a new level of clarity and awareness...Thanks bpal! wheeee! The petitgrain and spikenard stick around, adding brown and orange color impressions, and the eastern musk is pretty damn gorgeous with some lasting power. the orange blossom went slightly powdery, but that's fine and expected. Strange.. each time I sniff my wrist, I feel refreshed and release a nice sigh.

At first I get lime peel, spiciness, orange blossom, cedar and musk. As it settles I also start to get a soft, spicy, almost peppery carnation scent? I find this one a complex, slightly citrusy, resiny and spicy musk.

The cedar almost plays like patchouli on my skin, which is weird. This is a bit powdery and woody. If you don't look at the notes, you don't even realize there are florals in this. I get the musk and the cedar and powder but that's about it.

Soap! And more soap! This is surprising; orange blossom doesn't usually do this to me. Perhaps it is the trifecta of spikenard, lime, and peppermint. I can smell a very nice musk and petitgrain trying to get out from behind it, but they are losing the battle. I will hang onto this decant to see if I was just having an off day chemistry-wise, but sadly I don't think it's going to work for me.

Oh well, that's why we have decant circles!

Apatrophia - This is a surprisingly masculine blend. The petitgrain is quite strong and bewtween that and the cedar and the lime, it definitely gives off a very sophisticated mens fougere-type fragrance. As it dries down, the musk comes out more and more, and a bevy of complex spices becomes really evident. The orange blossom gives the scent the tiniest hint of floral powderiness, but mostly, this is a nice, brown musk with petitgrain, lime zest, and blonde woods. It's a great scent, would love to smell it on my husband, but it's too masculine for me to wear.

I quite like Apatrophia when it's first on and the lime is strong. It's a zingy, sweet lime that smells nice and sort of manly against the slight spiciness, dry cedar, and musk. I could see this being a somewhat sporty masculine fragrance. And then it starts to dry down and the lime disappears and is replaced with baby powder :/. It's the same on both myself and my husband - a drydown of powdery, dry woods. I might keep my decant of this and see how it does with some aging, but the drydown isn't fantastic right now. Though, as a plus, I can't smell any of the mint, which I was worried about.

Oh, cedar, even when you're white you don't give up until you trample everything else to death. I barely even get to smell the Eastern musk, which was what I was most looking forward to; I get about 90% screaming CEDAR and a sprinkling of spikenard, mint and petitgrain. I had to expel Apatrophia from my wrist faster than she expels sinful lusts.

I definitely got the lime and a white floral, especially on wet. I think the white floral may be the spikenard. As it dries, I get more of the spices and the cedar. The white floral overlay is citrusy and fresh.

I think this is a nice floral-wood, a little high pitched for me. But it smells very clean.

Oh mmmmmm....Musk! This is a lovely musk blend. Right out of the starting gate, this is musk with orange blossom and a few other things I can't identify. I do believe the spikenard gives it that reeds-along-the-Nile vibe. Super clean sexy musk and I wish it would stay this way always!

As it dries, the musk backs off and this becomes a skin scent. When it's dry, the orange blossom has faded and the mint & lime come out. It's a very clean sexy scent. I wish it had better throw, but then again unculture noses don't deserve to smell this baby!

(An aside: I saw Cleopatra last night at an old movie house. If this scent had been around in 1933, Claudette Colbert would have worn this to set the mood.)

eta: This doesn't last long, unfortunately. And the spikenard winds up being funky at the end, much like in the CD scent that has spikenard. But the early parts are lovely!

eta: One day later, and the oil has gone from glorious musk to sharp soap :eek: This is a very fussy scent.

Edited by surlygurl

At first, very strong, powdery floral. Dry, I could swear that this is a mixture of violet and possible orris. It has that feeling of a soft, powdery floral on me. I was really surprised to see that neither of those are listed notes. After a bit, I guess I can smell a bit of the musk, and it's very nice, but getting crushed by the powdery floral. I love orange blossom and lime, and I get none here. My skin is weird. I kind of like this, it reminds me a bit of Brusque Violet, Staged Moon Landing, and Silver Phoenix, but I don't need any more of these types of blends.

In the vial: Musk and orange blossom. The result is soap to my nose. Let's hope it works a bit better on my skin.

On: Whoa!soap. Soo much soap. Dusty soap. Gah.

Later: Nasty soap. Blech.

In the bottle: Citrus and mint.

Immediately after application: Cedar with a tad of mint and citrus.

Warming up: This is doing bad things, like the last blend that had lime and peppermint (Schroedinger's Cat). Powdery and sour and awful with heavy cedar. Definite no and off to the sink.

Overall: I don't know what I was thinking trying something with lime, since that goes bad on me so frequently. Especially in combination with mint when I KNOW that goes bad on me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

ITI: Off. I would expect bright citrus, but I get a little soapiness, which might be from the petitgrain. There is also a medicinal heribness from the combination of spikenard and peppermint. It’s not what I would have originally anticipated for this scent.

Wet: It’s still very green, soapy, and medicinal on my skin. There is just a touch of orange blossom trying to peek though, but the petitgrain and peppermint overpower it.

Dry: Soapy spikenard and orange blossoms. It’s much better dried as it’s floral and feminine.

Wet: unpromisingly soapy florals.
Dry: Soap. Soap with extra soap. I don't know what's causing that but I'm very sad, as I was expecting a sort of orange-blossom-musk-woods scent. Alas!