Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
captainecchi

Dark Chocolate, Fig, and Tamarind

Dark chocolate, fig, and tamarind.

I usually don't order bottles unsniffed. I made an exception here--I'm a sucker for chocolates.

In the bottle: This appears to be a clear to light amber oil (hard to tell with these new-fangled wand caps). The notes are all present and accounted for here: chocolate, an orange-y citrus (that's the tamarind, I take it), and in the background, the fig. It's like Vice and Nemesis had a baby!

On skin, wet: Interestingly, there appear to be small solid bits that smear when I apply them to my skin. The color of them is the reddish brown of tamarind paste, so maybe that's related. Right away, the tamarind note flies away like citrus usually does on my skin, leaving the fig and chocolate to fight it out. One minute the fig seems more dominant; the next, the chocolate overpowers it. I do wish this had more throw--I actually went back and applied more, which I rarely do.

Drydown: This has dried down to a well-blended figgy chocolate that I'm moderately pleased with.

Verdict: I like this well enough, but maybe I was hoping for something a touch more exotic and maybe headier--this one does exactly what it says on the tin. I have plenty of fig and chocolate scents already, after all. I'll give this one a 3 out of 5.

I love this! The dark chocolate isn't overpowering...it's just right. The tamarind gives it a tart, juicy feel that almost reminds me of the filling in a chocolate covered cherry. Then you have the fig which at times can get a little high pitched; but once it's all calm and dried down, it's perfect. My only negative is that it fades super fast on me. I've already had to slather twice this morning (within an hour). I'm hoping as it ages it will stick around a bit.

5 out of 5! :wub2:

Edited by ladyjc

The dark chocolate in this is making my mouth water. The fig and tamarind are delicious too, but hooooo boy, the chocolate note is just splendid. Best dark chocolate perfume I've ever tried. Now excuse me while I go eat myself. Nom.

This was the only chocolate Luper I purchased an imp of...I like chocolate scents, but prefer them mixed with coffee...and very strong. I had high hopes because I am a big fig and tamarind fan.

Sadly, this is just meh on me. It's light and somewhat pretty, but there's no zip. In fact, after a while it almost becomes aquatic! Where's the fig?

Sad. It's nothing to write home about. Or buy a bottle for.

And that's the last sentence I'll end with a preposition OR a proposition.

Update after aging process (12/10/11):

OMG--LOVE this!!! The drydown is subtle but so pretty. I have been wearing it non-stop and just bought a bottle. :)

Edited by tarotgirl

I like dark chocolate and fig, and I thought this one would be great, but I can barely smell any fig in it. There's something else that smells sweet and like an odd-smelling fruit I'm not familiar with (I suppose that's tamarind) that kind of reminds me of squishy dates. Like stewed prunes. I mean, it doesn't smell like prunes, but it reminds me of that sticky squishy fruit like that.

As it dries it gets a lot sweeter and less odd-smelling, but I'm still not getting much fig out of it or anything I'd specifically tag as chocolate. Hunh. Well, it's nice enough that I'll try again later, but I expected something else out of this.

This one started out very promising, with lots of dark chocolate and the slightly tart tamarind, but on my skin it the fig amped and I'm usually not a fan of fig scents.

This year's chocolate blends aren't wowing me as much as the previous years.

This is mostly tons and tons of cloying fig on my skin. The fig has a slight spiciness to it and an edge of syrupy sweetness that might be the tamarind, and the chocolate is mostly absent. I love Intrigue so much more for a fig and cocoa blend.

The tamarind and fig own this blend; I've read that it's been hard to get the chocolate mixed in well and I am not getting much of it here at all. With the bright citrusy tamarind this makes me think of Carnal with a hint of chocolate! It's nice but not quite me; a little too fruity-sweet.

I almost didn't get this, because I was suspicious of the tamarind. Was I ever wrong. When I first applied it, the tamarind stood out and made it tart and fresh, while the chocolate and fig were just strong enough to keep it sort of a dark scent overall. As it faded, the tamarind calmed down and it turned into a rich, lucious chocolate-figgy heaven. Like ladyjc said, it does fade quickly. So I'll just have to get multiple bottles.

OMG. I think I may love this scent. I essentially get a ton of fruit - fig, and a whiff of tamarind which is tart and fresh and whiff of chocolate.

But essentially, a luscious figgy scent. Mmm. Figs.

Need. more.

Now.

For some reason, this ended up smelling exactly like Glade Hawaiian Breeze on my skin :P I was hoping for something fruity but I got gaggingly cloying floral.

In the bottle: Figgy goodness, a hint of the chocolate, and a bright fruit note from the tamarind.

Wet: All three notes are present, but clashing a bit.

The dry-down: Now, the notes have finally started to meld and blend a bit, but there's a perfumy quality to this that I'm not liking. It's still some figgy goodness, mostly. Suspect that aging will really improve this. I love chocolate and I love figs, so I'm hoping that it will just get better with time.

This one is all sweet, sticky goodness. It's mostly rich fig with the brightness of tamarind at first, and as it dries down the dark chocolate becomes more prominent. The tamarind has a juiciness anda bit of a candylike quality to it, a little bit citrusy but not extremely so. The combo of these three is like a sweet syrupy mess you just can't get enough of. It makes me think I have to lick my fingers!

Edited by Invidiana

Wet, dark chocolate and candied fruits. Not a good thing, as I don't like candied fruit anything, especially in chocolate. Dry, it is more of a milk chocolate now with the tamarind, which I'm guessing is the giving me the candied fruit vibe. End result, more fruity than candied, though I still don't like it. Personal preference that I don't like fruit in my chocolate eating, and I guess smelling it either.

In the bottle - Oooooh kind of juicy jelly with a sprinkling of cocoa

Wet on me - An almost green fig note comes out against juicy tamarind with again just a touch of cocoa

Dry on me - The fruit mingles and becomes candied like wine gums

Overall - It's yummy, even with the candyness it's not so in your face sweet as to be too much, it still smells like a perfume, if you see what I mean