Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
topaz

Metal Rabbit

METAL RABBIT
A new year's blessing! Peony, China's national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat and quince for prosperity, narcissus and King mandarin for good fortune, cypress for longevity, and peach fruit and hemp to represent the fourth phase of Wu Xing, with a splash of blazing red of dragon's blood... to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

Yum! This starts out as very citrusy with some sweet floral undertones. Wasn't terribly long lasting on my winter dry skin but dried down to a powdery dragon's blood with maybe a hint of tangerine and pine. Stays close to the skin too. Love it! Edited by topaz

Metal Rabbit is amazing! Wet it is a quite strong citrus/light florals (tangerine/plum blossom, peony) blend. After about an hour, the scent settles into a light citrus with Dragon's Blood and Cypress peeking out. Very nice. I wish I had some of the other CNY scents to compare this to, but I don't: completely unbiased review! :)

Edited by Herb Girl

Having worn Metal Tiger yesterday and Metal Rabbit today... I'm sad to say that they really are almost identical. I got a touch more orange from Metal Rabbit in the bottle, but that's about it, and even that could possibly be attributed to the ages of the oils. This makes me sad, especially since Earth Ox actually does smell different from these two -- I had hoped that Metal Rabbit would be a distinctly different scent, but it's just not. :(

I would agree that Metal Rabbit and Metal Tiger are very similar, although I think I prefer Metal Rabbit. Metal Rabbit has a distinctly present tangerine note that Metal Tiger is missing. Metal Tiger smells mostly like bergamot on me. Metal Rabbit is very different from Earth Rat (mostly melon) and Fire Pig (all lychee). I haven't tried Earth Ox, so I can't compare.

I love this, so I'm happy. :)

I haven't tried Metal Tiger and so I can't really compare it with Metal Rabbit. What I *can* say is that I adore Metal Rabbit - it's so fruity and uplifting :)

I really, really liked this. Very fresh and bright and citrusy with a lot of throw. Unfortunately, it lasted about three hours and poof! Gone without a trace. It is lovely, though, and I think it would make for a nice room spray.

Very similar to Metal Tiger, but this is better on me. Sweet, almost juicy, fruity, citrusy, fresh and bright. Many notes stand out- soft mandarin, quince (love this!), kumquat, a hint of peach, plum blossom, soft peony, and dragon's blood. It smells like a delicious, fruity, citrusy, cocktail. But as is usual with most fruity scents on me, it started to fade within a half-hour.

Metal Rabbit mainly smells like juicy, sweet oranges and cool honeydew melon on my skin. As it dries down, it goes through a phase of bright, sweet oranges with a hint of soapy dryer sheets. After about a half hour, though, it's not soapy at all. I'm left with an orange-y, fruity, zesty, sweet scent that's rather pleasant. I catch whiffs of that melon-y note every once in a while too, though I don't think that there's even any melon listed in this blend.

I find this to be sweeter and juicier smelling than Metal Tiger is on me, and it's also not as soapy as Metal Tiger. All of the new year's scents have gone really soapy on my skin, with the exception of Metal Rabbit and Fire Pig.

Metal Rabbit is my favorite of these new year's blends so far :smilenod:

Metal Rabbit - This is a GORGEOUS fruity-floral blend. It's bright and cheery, and absolutely perfect for spring. The peony, lychee, kumquat, and peach are the dominant notes from the bottle until full dry-down on my skin. The only bummer about the blend is there's nothing to keep it grounded to my skin and within 15-20 minutes, it's completely gone. I've tested it several times, with lotion on a base layer, and it disappeared quickly every time.

I was very nervous about some of the notes in Metal Rabbit, as my luck with citrus blends tend to be iffy.

On Wet: Stroooong citrus, bordering on a lemony cleaner, which makes me nervous.

After a couple of minutes: the peony and plum blossom shine through, and tame the citrus.

This is gorgeous!!!!!! Masterfully crafted layers of citrus, floral and dragon's blood fill my senses and it is just beautiful! :wub2:

I'm so glad I took the chance on this bottle!

ITB: Wow, it's such a sweet delicate smell here. I get lychee, orange, and a couple very faint florals.

Wet: I get similar, less floral, but with more pine.

Drying: Very strong peony, plum blossom, a bit of kumquat flesh, peach behind that (thank goodness), and just a little narcissus. I'm not sure where the pine and the lychee went.

Dry: Lots of lovely florals with mild citrus underneath. I like it :)

The citrus is bright and delicious in the bottle and first applied, but on me, it became powdery and faint in less than an hour. I won't give up yet; I'll try again in a few months (more into summer) and see how it goes. Alas, those powdery scents rarely change on me.

Sigh.

Mae

In general, I have loved most of the Chinese New Year blends.

So, Metal Rabbit on me is essentially a fruity floral. Very fruity. I think the predominant notes on wet are more citrusy, with the mandarin and tangerine. As it dries, the fruit is most recognizable as peach. And underneath, I definitely smell plum blossom and peony. This is big, bright and juicy peachy floral.

As for comparisons against other of the Chinese New Year blends:

Fire Pig - much more gingery, less floral and with more zing

Metal Tiger - Fruitier, but with no lasting power or throw

Earth Rat - Melon/Coconut death match

Earth Ox - More floral, slightly fruity.

Fire Pig is still my favorite, because I love the gingery zing to it, although I have to admit that I find Metal Rabbit pretty adorable.

Wet, this is really a lot like Metal Tiger to me. Very orange citrus. The difference is that when Metal Rabbit becomes dry, there is kind of a touch floral perfume note that comes out along with the citrus. In Metal Tiger, it was a more clear, fresh orange citrus. I don't mind this, though I wish it stayed more like when it was wet. I'm certainly glad to have tried this, but I have a bit of Metal Tiger kicking around somewhere, and don't need more of something that is pretty similar.

In the bottle: Lots of bright fruits.

Wet: Picking up the fruits, but the brightness has faded, and the pine resin and hemp are present.

The dry-down: The bamboo may also be subduing the fruits. The kumquat and tangerine are most obvious (and pleasingly so, since they are two of my fave fruits as well as fave scent notes). The florals seem to have combined into one big bouquet. There's still some bright crispness about this, from the citrus fruits, and will be another good spring-into-summer scent.

And the label art is rather wonderful. :)

I really love this. I wavered on it for quite some time. Thought about swapping or selling my bottle, but wearing it now I realize it is really a unique blend that I have nothing like! In the bottle this is extremely fruity, but not in the tart kind of way. Something is sweetening everything and keeping it from smelling like yelling fruits! On my skin the fruit note tends to smoothe out even more. I don't smell any one fruit in particular but kind of like a medley of everything that creates a really pretty orange and even a bit pinkish fruit scent. On skin the floral note comes out a lot more too. The peony is pretty much eye to eye with the fruity goodness keeping things from getting tart and overly ripe and making everything blend into this sweet fruity floral. And that's all folks! No cypress or bamboo or dragon's blood (thank goodness because dragon's blood can be really cloying on me) just orange, pinkish, golden fruits laced with sweet slightly powdery peonies. Overall this scent is extremely fun and girly but also really sophisticated at the same. Pure love and really unique to anything else I have!

Thid is amazing.

I'm the bottle bright, orange citrus notes.

On wet...lovely diffuse citrus scents with a brightness from The dragons blood. The blood as none of its normal floral tones here.

Dry...more of the same, lovely and brightened by the blood and the citrus. On dry down the pine becomes more assertive, cradling the bright within its warm boughs, not astringent at all as I worried it might be.

Iove this, its not going anywhere near the swap pile!! May have to convert this one to a spray and see of that increases the throw a bit!

Edited by Wren12

On my skin, this is indeed very similar to Metal Tiger, but slightly better because it is slightly more fruit and floral forward and slightly less herbaceous (I credit the hemp not for the herbaceous element in both probably).

Like all of the Lunar New Year scents, this is a lacquer bowl of Lunar New Year treats with wafts of blossoms drifting in among the scents. There is the hint of resins from the dragon blood and that faint herbal element.

I am thrilled to have a bottle of this now, and I'm really pleased with how strong and present the citrus is.