Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarri

Sage scents - White, Clary, and others

Hello

I've been trying to work out if there are any BPAL fragrances that contain clary sage, but searching on the main site and here hasn't turned much up (unless I'm just being dim..? )

I adore clary sage essential oil, it just puts a smile on my face.. it's way too kick ass to wear as a perfume - so I generally use it as a massage oil blend. I'd love to find a BPAL that had it slightly toned down as a note, any ideas on that or similar happy smells?

Thanks, Sarri

Edited by ivyandpeony
title tweak when threads merged

I definatley second this, im a hugh fan of clary sage. Its just beautiful :P

I use it in all my aromatherapy blends, massage oils, bath oils etc

I think it would be a wonderful addition to bpal scents :D

There are a few BPAL blends that have sage (not necessarily clary sage) in them. Aeval and the discontinued Morella come to mind. You may also want to try Bewitched and Lear. Or try blends that have a green/herbal/forest vibe to them, such as Black Forest, the Apothecary, Yggdrasil, Black Annis and Nocnitsa.

Clary sage is specifically mentioned in the description for Wulric the Wolfman: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

I'm not actually sure what clary sage smells like by itself, so I can't say how strong its influence is in the blend. Whether you like it probably depends on if you like the idea of lavender/cocoa - I loved it myself.

Hunger Moon also has clary sage in it. That was a recent moon, so there's still lots of it on the swap and sale boards, I've noticed.

Bewitched has such a bright and refreshing sage, and it is gorgeous paired with the berries. I heartily second the rec.

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Wulric sounds amazing, cocoa, vanilla, musk all along with the clary sage.. yum! Not quite sure why it didnt come up on the search but will deffo try to track down an imp of it.

Bewitched has been on my wanted list for a while too, will bump it up the list of things to try..

Another one is Ajna, from the chakras. It has Mugwort, star anise, acacia, saffron, frankincense, blue chamomile, sandalwood, clary sage, cedar, and cypress. I haven't tried it, so I have no idea how it smells, but it sounds interesting.

From the website:

The Meeting of Shiva and Shakti The Two-Petaled Lotus: perception and command. The mind's eye, intuition, truth found in dreams, imagination, vision, and light.

Personally, I couldn't detect any sage in Bewitched, but that might just have been my skins reaction. I got a lovely raspberry green tea from it. :P

(btw, I foun both Ajna and Wulric by searching for "clary" in the BPAL search box. I think that there might be a limit where you can only search words of more than 4 letters or something. But I'm a total n00b, so what do I know?)

I'm bumping this because I've recently discovered that clary sage makes me, to use highly technical and eloquent terms, "super-happy-whoo-whoo-yeah." Lol, I'm a huge Lush fan, and I noticed that a handful of products (American Cream, Flosty Gritter, Sex Bomb, Joy of Jelly, Shimmy Shimmy, basically anything with the AC, Sex Bomb scent really) just bliss me the heck right out! Like a cat with a mouthful of super mutant catnip blissed out! I checked the ingredient lists and I think the Clary Sage is what's doing it, since I've never had that scent in anything else. So is there any new Clary Sage scents kicking around out there?

I love clary sage too!

My faves:

Apothecary

Titus Andronicus

Scales of Deprivation

Bow and Crown of Conquest

Coyote

Hunger Moon

Pumpkin Patch IV (07)

Robin Goodfellow

Aeval!

if you like JoJoelle perfumes, check out "Dreamcatcher"

I Married a Vampire from Planet-X, Blue Moon 2007, Hunger Moon 2007, and Wulric all have clary sage listed as an ingredient.

Clary Sage (Salvia Sclarius) does give you that 'woohoo' feeling, it has slightly intoxicating effects and I believe a long time ago people used to put a drop of Clary Sage EO in a glass of wine (but of course you should never do so as ingesting essential oils is dangerous).

Please note that it is not the same as Sage, not even from the same family.

It is lovely and always makes me feel a bit spinny :P (but that's probably because I have low blood pressure :D )

Another Clary Sage lover here!!!

I'd like to find a scent that has it as the dominant note!

It's gorgeous, and the best belnd I've ever smelled it in was Lush's Aura Suavis bubble bar! That was the SEXIEST!!!

I Married a Vampire from Planet-X, Blue Moon 2007, Hunger Moon 2007, and Wulric all have clary sage listed as an ingredient.

Hmm looks like I'll have to pay closer attention to the Lunacies! Thanks!

Hmm looks like I'll have to pay closer attention to the Lunacies! Thanks!

Any time! I hope a new one comes out soon for you :P

Newbie here looking for BPAL blends that contain my favorite scent of all time: White Sage. I use it for burning so much that I've fallen in love, and while I've found some oils with it as an ingredient, most of them contain other smells that don't really agree with me (florals or fruit, mostly), and I wouldn't want to try those unless I was pretty sure the sage would really come through. Is there any scent that contains a good deal of white sage, LE or otherwise? Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

And since I'm new, let me know if this should be merged or something. I did a search, but didn't find a topic, so... >__>

How about Scales of Deprivation?

"Thin, dark, and shadowed. A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum"

I mostly get sage & lemon, and it is a strangely hollow scent. And beautiful.

How funny, surlygurl.....before I even opened the thread I was ready to suggest Scales Of Deprivation too! : )

Scales is complex, but I agree that the sage stands out. Not to mention, it's just a fantastic scent.

No. 93 Engine contains white sage. It's neither sweet nor floral, but it is golden and resinous.

The sage definitely shows up on the drydown for me, and stays around for a while.

*sigh* I'd try the scales, but lemon goes rancid on my skin half the time, and the other half I just don't like it. The engine sounds nice though! And I just ordered an imp! Thanks!

I don't know if it's white sage specifically, but Mag Mell isn't floral, it's amber and aquatics, as opposed to 93 Engine's amber and resins. It's very fresh and grassy.

Hrm... Sage.

I find that Moon of Small Spirits has a good sagebrush/sweetgrass note. Coyote does as well.

The problem with both is that MoSS is rather slushy (not fruity, but perhaps 'floral') and Coyote does have a skin musk note.

I would avoid Aeval, it's a very sweet scent, heavier on some sweet tonka and something... else... sweet pea? Or floral. I dunno.

I love White Sage, as it smells very similar to sage brush, which is the predominating plant where my parents live. When I want to smell like sage, I go to Tenochtitlan, or Pumpkin IV '07.

I've just tried Oya thanks to a lab frimp (thx lab!) and OMG exactly like burning sage. Exactly.

I searched but couldn't find an appropriate topic for this - what do you recommend for your sagiest sage? I want something that reminds me of the sage smudges or sage bouquets I came across in New Mexico. I notice a lot of blends I've already tried have sage notes (Brown Jenkin, Aeval, Nyarlathotep), but none of them seem very dominant.

The Witch's Garden and Antony do look promising, though - any thoughts on those?