Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

RED LACE
Red musk, tobacco, red sandalwood, dried pomegranate, patchouli, dusty frankincense, and raspberry clotted over blackened sugar-spun vanilla cream cotton.

Oh vey. This scent breaks my heart a little bit. I loooove the lace scents-both Antique and Black. I was soo excited by this, even though it has a few notes that are hit or miss on me (red musk, tobacco, sandalwood, patchouli). But when I smelled the tester at DarkDel it just smelled so good. It's not too sweet and fruity--the tobacco and sugar spun cream cotton really remind me of Black Lace but with that whisper of red notes-faded pom and raspberry. So sexy and beautiful.

When I first apply this on my skin I get all of those notes I mentioned above-subdued tobacco, creamy vanilla/cotton, dry red fruits, sexy musk...but unfortunately on my skin this starts to go powdery SO fast. I'm not sure what note it is...but I end up with sweet powder/sandalwood. I mean, it doesn't go full powder-I do still smell that original scent in there, but compared to how deep and sexy it is in the bottle...my skin just dulls its beauty and loses the depth and redness. Will hold onto it to test again in a few weeks to be sure, but I will probably have to pass this along.

Lighter than what I was expecting. Really morphs a lot - beginning I amp the sweet linen, as it dries the patchouli and fruit peek out more. Throw seems very light, I smell almost nothing now so it's probably a blend you would need to slather. Pretty, but I don't see myself wearing it enough to warrant a bottle at this point because there are blends I just like better right now. I bet it will age well though.

ETA: Now that the bottle has settled some, it's very perfumey now. I am unable to separate the notes now either. :eek:

Edited by violetblue

As violetblue said, this is actually lighter than expected. In the beginning, I get a lot of creamy cotton and red sandalwood, and it stays pretty close to the skin.

However, yes, it morphs like crazy. One second it's sticky fruit, the next it's sharp red musk. Then back to the creamy sandalwood. I don't know where it's going to end up!

It seems to be settling on a slightly grape-y red musk dusted with powdery frankincense. :huh?:

Red Lace has potential, I know it does. The notes just need to blend together better and the red musk needs to lose it's high-pitched "freshness". I have high hopes that aging will melt everything into something more cohesive.

ETA: A couple hours later, and I like it somewhat better. It eventually dries to have more of that original soft skin-scent from the beginning, it just takes a long time for the morphing (and the red musk) to chill out. Again, I think aging will help.

Edited by Aldercy

1247132344_n44ra-Ti.jpg

I'm agreeing with the previous reviews that this blend is a morpher, and one which will pay for aging. On me, much like Mme Moriarty, the red musk is predominant at first but the other notes make their debut in rapid succession, finishing after about an hour or so upon a lovely incense blend. I'm liking this now, and believe it will be knee-shakingly beautiful in another year. 3 of 5 stars from me for this blend, but I think after aging my rating will go up, possibly to a 5. :)

Edited by stellans

Got my bottle, got my bottle!!! :joy:

In the bottle: no other way to describe but red, sweet and verrrra pretty!

Wet: The pom and the patchouli jump out ahead of the rest.

Drydown: The sandalwood, tobacco and frankincense poke out, and though I can see a slight resemblance to Mme. Moriarty, but it is quite different enough. After a few minutes the raspberry peeks out, and this is marvelously blended.

I concur that this will most likely age beautifully. I'm very glad I got it. I will need more time with it to know if it warrants hoarding, though. So far it is a beautiful win on me! Yay! I love it.

ETA: I wore this all day at work today, and the verdict is in: Needs more bottles of this! :wub2:

I've decided it's effect is like a red version of Voodoo in a way; you know, if Voodoo is a golden greenish colored scent, this is the red one. This is love!:)

Edited by Lorna Brigid

Bottle: sweet red musk. I smell the sugar and I smell red fruit, although it is not identifiably pom or raspberry.

This is Dionysia stuffing herself with red velvet cupcakes and smoking a cigar afterwards. I was a little concerned about the sugar - it starts out a little sweet, but not hyper-sweet, and it mellows out almost immediately as the tobacco melds seamlessly with the sandalwood. I almost can't tell there's patchouli in this. Unfortunately, the frankincense is starting to amp, and whether or not the scent survives this will determine if I stash this or sell it. Stupid frankincense.

How to describe Red Lace.....to be honest I thought I was smelling anise when first applied, but I think that was a trick of the red musk and raspberry, perhaps? Anyway, once it dries, I get a lot of sweet, slightly powdery vanilla cotton and sandalwood, but there is an adult side to this scent. Sultry, that's the word I kept thinking of. I never got the 'ashtray' effect from tobacco until now, and I swear there is a smokey ashtray aspect that somehow is perfect in the context of this scent. I'm getting something like the effect of slightly stale smoke in the air, making this kind of decadent and a little drowsy, like the morning after a wild party.

Side note: I was worried about the raspberry but I barely smell anything fruity in this scent at all. In fact, I also got a bottle of Black Death in this order, and Black Death smells more fruity to me than Red Lace.

I got my bottle so fast! And I am all the way on the other side of the country!

In the bottle and when first applied, I get a lot of the cotton and tobacco that I get from Black Lace. To me. Red Lace has sort of the same background as Black Lace (I have never tried Antique Lace, so can't say if there is a comparison), but RL is definitely "redder" - pomegranate, patchouli and raspberry are all present and blending beautifully. I don't get much red musk or frankinscence, only a touch.

I agree with the reviewers who said that this will age beautifully - I can totally see this as a blend that in a year, it wil be drool worthy. It is absolutely lovely now, but a ittle "perfumey" on me - not that that is a bad thing - I normally wear more foody blends, so to my nose this is a more traditional fragrance. It does morph and settle, becoming a smooth, faintly fruity, but definitely red scent.

:wub2:

ETA: Ok, now that this has had a couple of weeks to settle, it has already aged into gorgeousness! I can pick out the individual notes with my nose against my wrist, but wafting around me, they blend so well and it is just stunning.

Edited by ltrittipoe

Got to try this cause of a small leak that happened en route, a few drops, nothing much. In the bottle, I'm getting the sandalwood, the tobacco, and the vanilla cream cotton sugar type notes. And bizzarely enough, this smells like a darker, redder L'Estate to me. oO. On my skin, the tobacco comes back with a vengeance, and a dusty pomegranate and raspberry with it. The Lace base lurks underneath.

Edited by Venneh

Black Lace's fruity sister--so many notes here, and this is so fruity at the beginning but the drydown is a soft, smoky raspberry with the cotton/vanilla of Black Lace beneath it. This is much lighter than I expected, which is a pleasant surprise as I was a bit worried it would be a huge fruit bomb. Pretty, girly, and yes, will probably age very, very well!

Ooooh, Mommy likes! :lol:

In the bottle: vanilla and red musk

Wet on skin: I can still pick out the vanilla very strongly, but I can still pick up a hint of red musk. I can also smell the raspberry and the pomegranate quite clearly. This smells wonderfully complex right now!

10 minutes: The red musk is making this smell very spicy at the moment. It is also candy sweet from the vanilla and fruits. Sweet fruity candy spice? I don't usually like foodies, but the red musk keeps it from going totally foody. I like it!

Drydown - This stays smelling like fruity vanilla red musk with a little dryness. I can't pick out the patchouli, sandalwood, or frankincense specifically, but I imagine they all combine for the dry feeling. I haven't been able to pick out the tobacco at all. It's very subtle.

Overall, this is more subdued than I had expected it to be. It stays close to the skin and has little throw, which I was not expecting from a red musk blend. If you like your perfumes to be strong, if your skin chemistry is like mine you will really need to slather this. I can't compare it to Black Lace or Antique Lace, because I've never tried those, but I can tell you that this is quite beautiful. :wub2:

On me, this is mostly vanilla and cotton, achingly similar to antique lace ... but then there is something seriously unpleasant in there. I agree with the poster who said it's kind of a grape-y, wine like scent. I don't like the smell so much when it is right up next to my nose. I think I'll let this settle and age and then re-evaluate.

Love Black & Antique Laces, so now trying the Red!

In bottle: sharp vanilla

On skin: yum, creamy vanilla with that sharp-ish "linen" note

Half-hour later: I can recognize red musk, but it's not nearly as strong as in other blends (boo on that). Still lots of smooth dreamy vanilla and linen

In conclusion: this has the same Black Lace linen-cotton note -- not too sharp, not too dry or crisp -- with extra red musk. Black Lace will last all day on me, though, and this Red one wants to saunter away. Oh well, I like it enough to keep reapplying, and maybe it'll get stronger as it ages.

In the bottle: dusty fruit and cotton.

On me: changes rapidly. First I get that grape-y scent other reviewers mentioned, but it fades quickly leaving mostly a creamy vanilla. I have a hard time picking out the individual notes. So far, it reminds me a LOT of L'Estate and not of Mme. Moriarty at all.

After a few minutes: Things are pretty much the same, but now I'm getting a little tobacco smokiness and a hint of pom. It's just lovely.

A few MORE minutes: Man, what a morpher. Red Lace seems to bloom in layers on my skin. Now there is a bit of sandalwood in the mix.

Overall? Red Lace is gorgeous. I can't wait to see how it ages.

When first on I get the raspberry, patchouli, vanilla and maybe a touch of tobacco. After it is dry I get a lovely raspberries and cream incense! :wub2:

Edited by Stephanielynn

Red musk & patchouli! This smells exactly how I hoped it would. Like other reviews, it is on the light side. Definitely a keeper! :wub2:

~

Edited by boxinghelena

Well damn. One day I'll learn that anything with "cotton" in it just won't work on me AT ALL. This is all cotton all the time. No musk, no patch, no red goodness. Just clean, headache-inducing cotton.

Must scrub now... :cry2:

Ok, it's possible that I went overboard, what with ordering 3 bottles untested. But since I absolutely *love* black Lace and Antique Lace, I decided to have some faith. Let's hope it's paid off! :fingers crossed: :unsure:

In the bottle: I get the sultry red musk of Smut and the cotton-vanilla of Black Lace, with the tiniest- tiniest hint of red berry in the background. Tiny enough that to a less-discerning nose it would be easily over-looked.

Wet On Skin: The cotton is much stronger now, with the red musk coming in a close second and the vanilla more of the faded variety that is in Antique Lace. there is something almost fragile about this scent.

Dry Down: Oh, this is GLORIOUS. This is Smut and Antique Lace and Black Lace all rolled into one. the cotton has calmed down a bit and everything is just mixing and blooming. I can't say even at this stage that there's any berry presence. In the bottle it was almost and afterthought and since application it's totally vanished. the vanilla and musk are combining to make this sweet and nostalgic like A.L. always is, but with that sexy Smutt-y red musk to make is romantic. :dance:

In All: I can see why others said this needs to be slathered. I don't actually think that's true, and on me there's a solid medium throw after applying only a big-ish drop from the cap. But there's a subtlety and grace that comes with this scent that, even when smelling it strongly, makes it come across somehow as a whisper. Give my experience with Red Lace's cousin scents, I know that this is only going to improve with age. :swoon:

NO regrets about getting three bottles- this is *definitely* hoard-worthy!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Well, my bottle has had time to settle, and I was so excited to try this today! Wet on my skin, I get the red musk, and the cotton. Some of the fruitiness of the berry. It lasts in this stage for awhile, but it turns to a dusty, powdery scent after about an hour or so. Will definitely hold onto this to see how it ages, and maybe try it in a scent locket. If I were to use this on a regular basis, I would definitely be slathering, as it just doesn't seem to stick around. Maybe I'll use it as a sexy-time scent before bed? :twisted:

I just got my bottles in the mail. And I never in a million years, would have thought I'd love it fresh from the package, because that never happens. But I do. This stuff is ass-kicking-amazing.

It's resinous like Lyonesse, but instead of the aquatics of Lyonesse, Red Lace has some vanilla sugar and raspberry. It's not sour raspberries. These are just some background berry action, keeping things sweet.

I can not get over this vanilla/resins combination! It's not powdery at all. It's young and sweet and sexy. And kind of unexpectedly classy for such a young scent.

Now that it's been on for about ten minutes, the raspberry has faded, and it's just a sweet whiff of incense over golden vanilla. I can't even imagine what this is going to smell like after it has aged. Thank goodness I ordered two bottles. Why didn't I order three?

Try this if you like: Antique Lace, Midway, Lyonesse.

In the bottle: How can I describe this? It's like I'm getting all the notes. :)

Wet: Pom, patch, certainly the dusty frank. Hints of raspberry and sandalwood, too. Some sweetness from the sugar and vanilla.

The dry-down: Slowly, slowly, all the notes combine, including the red musk which tried to pull on the stompy boots, into this awesome scent. It's well-crafted, but is quite the morpher. It's certainly in the Black Lace and Antique Lace family; in fact, it's as though the two had been combined, with Antique serving to sweeten Black, and then lots of the red notes are splashed into the blend, giving it a very different styling. Sweet, fruity, musky, sexy, sensual Red Lace is a winner. I might wear it the entire Valentine's Day weekend. ;)

This starts off a dry fruit and musk scent (the pomegranate and raspberry are deep enough that they don't smell like candy) with a haze of tobacco and I think I smell patchouli, but it is well blended and far back in there. All of this is sitting on that same vanilla cream cotton from Black Lace.

And then there's the frankincense in there, that screams "you hate me! you hate me and I'm ruining your blend!" It's not screechingly strong; it doesn't take over the blend. But it's there, and I notice it and end up ignoring everything else because I hate frankincense.

Other than that, this is wonderful and womanly - perhaps too much so for my tastes. But I'll keep it; maybe one day it will be perfect :)

Got my bottle today, and it's had several hours to recover from travel. My initial impressions:

.It reminds me of more Antique Lace than Black Lace, thought it starts with Black Lace's booziness. That's the first thing I get from the bottle, which is interesting, since there's not a booze note listed.

On me, this softens right away, and stays closer to the skin. It is sweeter and more cotton-y to me that black lace, which is perhaps why it reminds me more of antique lace. I just smelled them both from the bottle/imp, and there is definitely a resemblance to Antique Lace to me--creamy vanilla. Not terribly fruity on me, though when I went outside after applying, I thought I smelled something fruity, and given that it is winter here, that was the perfume, not the air. It wasn't recognizably berry, but it was tart/sweet and unobtrusive, and it gives this a richness and, yes, redness that does remind me of the pom in Mme. Moriarity, though this scent is nothing like that on me at all (which is fine, as I don't need more of that).

The dreaded red musk is so soft I don't get much of it at all, which is fine with me. I don't get frankincense as a note particularly, and the orris only adds a certain dryness. Patchouli is just another note blending in the rest. The only things that stick our are sweet cream and vanilla and the linen, maybe just a hint of blonde tobacco.

I like it, and see it as falling between Antique Lace and Black Lace. Black Lace is an alltime fave, and I don't think this will hit those heady heights for me, and Antique Lace was not a keeper ('cept for my little partial imp for old time's sake) so this falls somewhere in between--something I will enjoy wearing, I think, but may not reach for all the time.

Oh, and it IS quite light, with moderate throw, but it does seem to last.

eta: I've had time to wear it more, and it's slowing creeping up in my estimation. I put some on yesterday afternoon, and noticed that before I went to bed (well after midnight) I still got a lovely sweet vanilla and creamy linen note. But what is more impressive is that I still have a tiny hint of it well over 15 hours later! It's bright and sweet: like a pot of sweet cream cradled in clean and crisp linen napkin. There is just a tiny hint of red--thing a swirl of raspberry jam.

This is a lovely scent, and very long lasting, though never obtrusive. Black lace is in your face, like a woman wearing a sexy black lace dress. Red lace is like a red lace lingerie under a modest suit--you can't see it, but somehow sense that it is there. Its a close to the skin kind of sexy.

Edited by cuervosueno

I'm probably going to have to edit this because I'm close to my cycle (TMI, sorry) and I'm not really trusting my nose or chemistry at this point.

My review is based on a wee skin test and not a proper slathering. But I just couldn't resist jumping in, as I'm enjoying reading all the attempts to pin this thing down! I figured one more grasping attempt wouldn't hurt. :)

Based on the notes, I was really expecting more WHOA on first sniff. Instead it's unexpectedly light which is fine with me, as I love scents like Mme Moriarty but they tend to eternally amp on me.

At first I get what I call "that dirty hippie" scent, just what I get from Banshee Beat - it's not pleasant at the start and "dirty/dusty" is the best descriptive, but I can't determine if it's just the patchouli or also the frankincense that's doing it (I vote frankincense, it belongs in scent hell with vetiver as far as I'm concerned! ) But in a short period of time it morphs into a much softer, creamier scent, much like The Infernal Lover. A few hours later, it's very "close to the skin" and I like that - it's the difference between "damn you smell fucking GOOD" vs "what are you wearing?" No fruit, no raspberry for me. At least not this time... and I think that is going to be the charm of this oil for me, as it is a real morpher and I wouldn't be surprised to have a completely different take on it the next time I wear it.

Could be that my Red Laces will just get the old Black Lace treatment - buy one more to wear, while the others get to go live in a box so I can pull them out in a year, and swoon over and over again. :D

This. Is. Gorgeous. I actually went into the store and there was only ONE bottle left. :thud: I can't believe my luck, because this is absolutely divine. I never got the chance to experience Antique Lace, but I am absolutely in love with my Black Lace, and Red Lace did not disappoint! I feel like Black Lace is what I would wear to work and Red Lace is what would go on for my evenings out because it is fresher and fruitier and just so much fun. I hope there are more in this Lace series because it's perfect.