Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantasm

This delicate, spectral perfume gives rise to an eerie distortion of of the senses. It bestows an ephemeral, ghostly, and truly haunting quality to your presence. Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

First on: Jasmine comes out screaming ``Me! Me! Only me, nobody else!''

Near drydown: Thank goodness the jasmine fades a bit, and I smell that wonderful lemon verbena. I never smelled tea, which is fine with me.

After one hour: All gone. This isn't the phantasmic (is that a word?) effect I was looking for.

In the imp: Lemony tea! I love lemony tea!

On the wrist, wet: Ddefinitely getting the green tea and the lemon verbena. The jasmine is in there, but it's not being tortured by my body chemistry yet. Surprisingly it's staying a nice light jasmine.

One the wrist, dry: This stays pretty true to the imp, although the lemon does get stronger and the jasmine peeks out. It sort of hangs out in the background, barely there but adding a little something to the scent.

Final Analysis: Yay! Jasmine I can wear! Not sure about a bottle yet, but I am keeping the imp.

Wet on my skin, crisp, sharp tea and lemon verbena. It's not the fruit smell to me, but like you pinched some leaves off the plant, crushed them, and stuck them under my nose. I prefer it to the fruity lemon. As it dries down, a little jasmine creeps in, but not too much, as I have learned in these last few months that I do not care for it. It adds just a touch of sweetness. I get no orange blossom at all.

Another pretty, fresh summer scent.

Phantasm - I didn’t think it was possible like a blend with both green tea and jasmine in it, but I do! This is a lovely, light blend that’s just perfect for summertime wear. The lemon verbena is the dominant note, with the neroli not too far behind it. The green tea is a background scent that seems to be keeping the rest of the notes together, as if they would float off on their own without it. The jasmine is incredibly subtle and I can barely catch the lightest hints of it…until about 1 or 1.5 hours into the wear. That’s when the rest of the notes disappear and all I can smell is jasmine, which means it becomes a mostly unpleasant scent for me. Both the throw and the wear length of this blend are about average.

Yay, a floral I don't hate! I love green tea and lemon verbena, and they do a great job of keeping the flowers in line. This is a very delicate and pretty scent. It smells like perfume without giving me a headache. I do like it, but I so rarely feel like wearing florals that I still think I'll swap it. Too many other BPAL scents are calling my name!

Phantasm smells lemony at first, a nice clean herbal lemon. When the lemon mutes, the fragrance turns to luxury guest soap - soft, powdery, expensive Spring florals with an exotic green-tea twist.

It doesn't have great throw, but it's strong up close. A little dab'll do ya. I think this would be a good scent for feeling clean on sweltering summer days.

A very kind forum-soul sent this one to Geolinguist. As soon as he opened the envelope, I snatched up this imp and ran around, mad with squees. I love green tea. I love lemon verbena. This scent was at the top of my wishlist.

Until I tried it on.

I remembered that I love lemon verbena. I remembered that I love tea. I forgot that I amp florals. I didn't know that jasmine could be such a harsh mistress.

The tea and verbena made a lovely base, but the jasmine was just too sharp and too strong for me. Everyone who sniffed my wrist made the same face: :D

:P

Phantasm-

In Bottle: Hmm, there's lemon, but there's also that "baby's room" smell of powder and plastic.

Wet: Yes, a lot the same. Lemon and powder and something a little plasticky. And a bit of floral.

Dry: This recedes, so the plasticky part goes away, but what's left is quite faint after half an hour. A teeny bit floral and lemon.

Overal: Pleasant dry-down but not very interesting for me.

This is probably going to suck hardcore, since three of my evil notes are in here (lemon, jasmine, and neroli). *sniff* It's not as bad as I thought it would be, although neroli still produces a tampon-like essence. The jasmine is not beating up all the other notes as it usually does, and the lemon is subtle. The tea is the top note. Overall, it's a soap from Bath and Body Works. Not for me, but not as vile as I would have predicted.

I think I picked this one cos ... it had green tea and jasmine in it.

In the imp, it's green tea and jasmine having a fight over who could care most. There's something else in there that makes it less of a fight, and more of a soap drama, I'm hoping the green tea wins, actually.

Wet on skin, there's definitely something distinctly soapy about it. Nice soap though, although probably not the kind of soap I'd pick for daily use.

Once it's dry, the green tea is just about gone, and I'm left with ... soap. The soap has a bit of a lemony kick to it, so it's not all bad... It's just not something I'd choose to smell like every day ):

Lemon drops! The tea's coming out now too. This smells a lot like The Dormouse on me, although a little heavier on the lemon. It's very refreshing; I think I'll keep this imp for a hot day.

Wet: It's a Wet-Nap, the little citrus smelling packaged wet napkin you get at restaurants with messy food.

Dry: A hint of jasmine pokes out of the Wet-Nap. Hrm. I'd actually wear this, in the summertime, as it's not that bad of a scent once you get past the Wet-Nap association.

I've been so impressed with Beth's tea notes that I'll give this a shot, despite the dreaded jasmine. On first application, Phantasm smells much like dear Embalming Fluid--lovely clean lemon and green tea. As it dries, the jasmine peeks out. It doesn't mess up the blend too badly, but I'd rather just wear E.F. and not mess about with one of the notes that hates me!

This reminds me of the love child of Embalming Fluid and Muse.

At first all I smelled was lemon verbana and Jasmine. Hmmm, I thought.

On my skin, wet it smelled like lemon Pledge but had some flowers peeking from the background.

Dry, the lemon pledge smell is gone (yay!) and it smells like a crisp, clean floral. Not cloying or super sweet. It doesn't have much of a throw once dry and is not a long laster, but it's alright. Don't think it will be something I'll wear often, though, I'm more of a earthy/warm scent girl.

Wow, this is strong! The lemon verbena is very prominent at first, but the green tea backing it up makes me like it more than I usually do. This is extremely bright (almost piercingly so) and strong. One little imp wand swipe on my arm, and now I'm sitting in a Phantasm cloud.

I have to admit that I do like the scent, even though it's not something I would wear as a personal fragrance. (I prefer Embalming Fluid's lemon scent, and I like Kumiho better for a tea scent.) I'd like for my kitchen to smell like Phantasm -- it smells clean and happy.

In the imp this is pure lime! Very refreshing and clean. On skin: pure lime! After about ten minutes the neroli and green tea come out adding depth to the lime. Then comes jasmine which is kinda stanky but doesn't overpower the scent. It kind of reminds me of a more floral Embalming Fluid. Nice, I will use up the imp but not a bottle purchase.

The great Phantasm vs Embalming Fluid sniff-off indicates that Phantasm, even with the addition of nearly undetectable florals and faint tea, is much more tart than EF. The latter seens very cool and musky by comparison.

Phantasm is very energizing and is doing a good job perking me up after some very boring reading. This is the first Lab perfume I'd describe as "zingy".

Thanks again to the sweetie who sent this to me.

Edited by themerrybaker

mmmm....lemon verbena with just a hint of jasmine and neroli.

As it dried the green tea come out, but not overpowering. A very nice summer scent. I will definately be keeping the imp, but probably not a bottle.

ETA: As it dried down further, it reminds me of maybe bathroom cleaning products? Or something, not quite sure. But I don't like it.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

PhantasmSS.jpg

When this fell into my hand this morning for my random imp, I immediately opened it for a sniff without first reading my database of BPAL oils/notes. :D Ack! Lemon verbena! On me, anything lemon (unless it's merely a dribble, a thought of lemony citrus) turns into either Lemon Pledge or lemonade, and not in a good way.

In the imp: Very lemon, I can smell nothing else.

Wet on skin: still very lemon, but there is a tiny bit of floral there peeping out.

Dry: More floral now, but the lemon is still so strong it gives me a headache. :P

Verdict: Unfortunate for me that I have TWO imps of this (thanks to swaps/frimps) because this is by no means a keeper. Into the Trade Box it they go. :D

Edited by stellans

Glad to know I'm not the onlly one who had the "Lemon Pledge" reaction to this one. It sounded really nice from the description, and it smelled good in the bottle, but on my skin...it went straight to Lemon Pledge. I really didn't want to smell like Lemon Pledge. Sorry my "nose" isn't very developed yet...I'll do better with descriptions as I try more scents and learn more!

Goes on very similar to Embalming Fluid, smelling of sweet lemon and fresh green tea; reminds me of a lemon pop. As it dries, some of the citrus scent from the lemon verbena subsides, or the jasmine and neroli emerge, making it a slightly more floral fragrance than Embalming Fluid is. Slightly. It's a very nice fresh scent that avoids being astringent or cloying.

Phantasm is a lovely lemony tea fragrance. The jasmine and neroli are not coming out to kill me. Very very pretty.