Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantasm

This delicate, spectral perfume gives rise to an eerie distortion of of the senses. It bestows an ephemeral, ghostly, and truly haunting quality to your presence. Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

Very bright, pretty citrus at first - zesty and "vivid". Dries into a more candy like citrus though, like lemon drops but with a background of jasmine :P

Imp: lemon and jasmine

Wet on Me: Lemon verbena first, then the Neroli with the green tea and jasmine patiently waiting for their turn

Drying down: still strong neroli and lemon verbena. The green tea makes a nice base for it, but I’m not smelling as much of the Jasmine now.

Dry: The lemon in this reminds me a bit of Namaste. Not strong and overpowering as the neroli makes sure it stays pretty. Really loving this. This might be

This was my first bottle of BPAL, but (unless I'm overlooking something) I've never managed to write the review. I love this fragrance. Of course, I have no problem smelling like lemon. I would, in fact, come pretty close to wearing Lemon Pledge as perfume.

On me, this is mostly lemon verbena. The other notes are very quiet, and serve mostly to soften the lemon and make it seem less edible. The tea, especially, is far in the background, which would have disappointed me if I didn't love the lemon so much.

This is definitely a pale, faint perfume. It fades quickly, although I can still smell it for hours if I get close to my wrist. It's my go-to summer blend, since in our usual oppressive heat any perfume can quickly become very heavy.

Imp: Nice sharp lemon verbena.

Wet: Soft sweet jasmine balanced with the cripser notes of green tea and verbena.

Dry: The neroli joins the jasmine, the verbena seems to fade but the tea note comes in stronger to replace it.

Overall: I really like this. It is fresh and delicately scented. Perfect for hot days. It will be joining F5 and Envy as my too hot for perfume scents.

Smell alike: It smells like the cleaner used by the school I used to work

Color impression: Chilly yellow-green

On me: Bright and lemony! A slap in your face!

Wearing: Not so bad, but I won't wear this one as a perfume: it lacks of roundness in the background notes and it's a bit too aggressive (yet in a very nice way!) for me

This has a surprisingly great throw! I tend to have anything with green tea get completely watered down on my skin but this hangs around nicely. No neroli or jasmine THANK GOD, but the lemon pops as soon as it's applied. Initially it did have a cleanser odor, but dried down it's really not intense at all. Bottle worthy!

Imp: Mmm! Jasmine, sweet floral orange, herbal lemon verbena and a faint soapy green tea. This smells like some kind of really good cleanser, which is fine by me!

Wet: Orange candies, like Sweet Tarts, and jasmine powder and lemon drops. Then green tea cough drops. This reminds me a lot of Embalming Fluid, but sweeter and less musky. More like a candy than a soap.

Dry: This is almost completely gone now, just a faint breath of sweetness and soap. Pretty, but I think I like Embalming Fluid more.

In the imp: Primarily lemon verbena and neroli--sweet citrus. Very light on jasmine. I think I'm missing the tea note.

Wet on skin: Sharp lemon--somewhere between the candy Lemonheads and dish-soap.

Dry on skin: The soapiness backs off, and the jasmine comes back--but not in the usual overpowering way that jasmine has on my skin. For me, this is a nice even blend of the citrus with the jasmine. It does seem to fade fast; though, while it's there, it's fairly strong.

Imp: Geez...floor cleaner!

Wet: Still floor cleaner -- I think it's the lemon verbena blending with the neroli. I don't do particularly well with straight-up citrus scents and neroli tends to smell kind of funky to me...put the two together, and I guess this is what you get.

Drydown: The floor cleaner starts to mellow out a bit, and there's some florals peaking through (me thinks I recognize the jasmine) but they're oddly musky, and not in a good way. If I didn't know better, I'd say there was ginger in this. Weird.

Overall, not for me, unfortunately. One day I'll find a green tea scent that will actually work on me -- I didn't even get tea in this one :sad:

Mmmmmm...extra chilling lemon-y green tea goodness with a translucent background of ephemeral florals! Refreshing, uplifting, and delightful. I see myself getting lots of wear out of this one once the weather warms up.

There's a strong hit of lemon at first. It smells a lot like lemon sherbets with a hint of some kind of cleaning product.

After a while the lemon fades but what's left isn't an entirely pleasant smell (although it's hard to tell as it's not very strong either).

2/5 Off to the swap pile.

I couldn't wait to try this because in my mind green tea + jasmine= Jasmine tea! Well, that's not quite what I'm getting.

This would be a refreshing tea/jasmine scent if it wasn't for that stupid lemon verbena. Gotdamn you, lemon verbena! It is one of my least favorite smells, and it is kind of ruining this blend. It's so astinringent and strong on my skin, and it overpowers almost all the notes. I'm gonna wait an hour and see if it calms down, and I can reach a verdict.

Verdict: Nice, but swappable. I liked the gentle jasmine and slight green tea smell that wafted from my wrist after a couple of hours, but I like Shanghai better. The lemon does get nice and soft after a while though, so it isn't as harsh smelling as it was earlier.

Edited by Hava

This one was given as a gift to someone else, so it didn't stay around long, but I wouldn't mind having an imp of it myself! It smells like a very sugary glass of lemonade. The perfect scent for a hot, languid day where you don't want to do anything... besides sniff your wrist constantly, that is. :lol:

Imp: Lemons!

Wet: Lemons. It smells the way the outer shell of a "Lemonhead" candy tastes. Sour, bitter and sweet lemon.

Drydown: The LEMON has mellower and I can smell the jasmine and neroli. They aren't being very nice. They're making everything bitter and astringent. After a few more minutes, it's gone soapy.

Overall: Strike out again with the lab's jasmine. :ack:

In the Vial: Sharp, lemon, janitorial cleaning solution lemon.

Wet: Methinks it's the jasmine, but there's something unnerving about it now.

Drydown: Still tons of lemon (verbena) and jasmine. Ick.

Verdict: This isn't the blend for me. Never big on lemon scents and apparently, not the biggest fan of the lab's jasmine note. Ah well, tons more oils to try out! Off to the swaps pile.

Wet it's very LEMONY like a lemon candy or cleaning solution and dry a floral comes out a bit. It doesn't last very long.

Lemon drops all the way! Bright, sweet, candied lemon is pretty much all I'm getting. I have a vague sense that if I someday happened to have a very good skin chemistry day and this dried down exactly right, I might get a bit of the jasmine and possibly even the tea... but as it is it's all lemon drops.

Inside the imp, strong lemon.

Wet on the skin, starts out mostly lemon. Tea note soon emerges. So far, no jasmine to ruin it all.

Dries down to mostly lemon tea. I like it. It's refreshing on a hot summer day.

This reminds me of a cup of green tea with lemon - not a strong, fresh-squeezed citrus smell, but something much softer. I don't really get the florals from it at first, but after a few hours on my skin it becomes a lot sweeter, so maybe that's the floral aspect coming out. It's quite like Shanghai, so if you like that, definitely try this. I prefer Phantasm though - my skin doesn't eat it as quickly. This would be a lovely warm weather scent.

Sweet lemon drop. The tea and lemon makes this very similar to Shanghai. I think I slightly prefer Shanghai because the green tea is stronger in that.

Another one of my fav's!!!

I love anything Green Tea and Lemon. This has a stronger lemon smell, very sweet, with hints of jasmine coming through. I don't smell the green tea as much. I also get hints of honey.

In the bottle and when I first put it on, it's more lemon after about 30 minutes it's settled down nicely and has a lovely floral smell, with a lovely lemon waft every now and then!

Bring on Lemon Sorbet! :wub:

Phantasm reminds me a lot of Namaste, minus cedar and patchouli (I could never smell the rose). It's lighter, sweet, greener, fresher, but definitely related. Not a lot to say here -- a lovely light blend that would be absolutely perfect for spring and summer. The jasmine & lemongrass amp on me, with the green tea wafting overtop. Lovely.

In the imp and wet on my skin, I get mostly citrus and tea, with the floral notes showing up lightly as it dries down.

This is a very clean, refreshing citrus that will be perfect for late spring and summer.