Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

Champagne and Party Hats

In the bottle: Champagne and Cake

Dried down: Gentle wafts of champagne with cake. White cake with alcoholic notes to it. I wish I had some champagne cake to eat right now. :yum:

Of all the Champagne scents this year, this one was by far the worst of the lot. In 2008 none of the Will Call Champagne scents were anything more than disasters on my skin. This year, it's thankfully been the total opposite- with the exception of Champagne and Party Hats. :cry2:

Which is ok, really. Except that from the time I opened the bottle of Party Hats just to sniff, I instantly got the same head-achey feeling I got the first time I sniffed Pruno. There is some extremely similar note in both, of the

Mr. Clean-strong-disinfectant variety. :( Not to mention, I smelled no trace of cake anywhere. Meh.

In all, I leave this scent to someone else. If they have the blessings of not having my skin chemistry, then they are lucky indeed. for now, I shall stick with Pink Champagne, Sparkling Apple Cider and all the rest.

Unlike the previous poster, of all the champagne scents for this year, Champagne and Party Hats was the only one I liked. I'll admit up front I'm not generally a fan of champagne notes, and the champagne note in these blends smells more like ginger ale than anything else. Still, the main note in Champagne and Party Hats isn't champagne, it's cake! White cake with buttercreme frosting, to be specific, and the champagne note is more of a suggestion in the background. Really, wearing it smells like you've crashed someone's lavish New Year's Eve birthday party. It's a really fun scent and I waffled too long on buying it at Will Call, otherwise I'd have a bottle (they were sold out before I could make up my mind). If you're a fan of foodie blends and you like champagne notes, I'd give this one a try, if you're able to get your hands on it.

Oooh this is a tough one but I :heart: it!!! The Champagne is like the note from last years New Year blends but softer and not as in your face. I really can't decide if the other notes are Cake, Sugar Cookie (like SC 05) or maybe Key Lime Sugar Cookies (like Mr Nancy is on me). Love this blend and so glad I had a sweet angel to pick up a bottle for me.

*drool* seriously, this one makes my mouth water! More champagne-y in the bottle, but on my skin the cake really comes out... and it's covered in buttercream frosting! There is still the fizzy, effervescent champagne in the background though - I like it!

In the bottle, I'm getting the champagne note that I've gotten from the other Champagne and... scents, along with some lovely wafts of cake. Here's hoping the cake aspect of this amps. On my skin... oh fuck me, the champagne amps at first, but the cake aspect is amping pretty strong too. We'll see where the push and pull between the two goes... Goddamnit. The champgane wins out. Sadness. Forever.

Edited by Venneh

Thanks to Dark Alice for sharing a tester of this with me!! :wub:

The only other one of this round of Champagne blends I've tried so far is Champagne and Opium, which had a really strong champagne note.. and champagne typically delivers a sour, dry, alcoholic hairspray-like smell on my skin. So when I went to try this Party Hats one, I expected the same thing to happen.. but it didn't!!

There's definitely a cake lurking in this one.. but where others have said white cake, I'm saying chocolate cake - yep, there's something almost chocolate-y in here. I mean it's not a chocolate blend as such, but it has a chocolate-ish smell to my nose. And creamy icing, like buttercream.. there's a sweetness but it's not overly foody in feel, which I guess is because the champagne is cutting through the cake smell. The champagne is there, but it's very soft and sweet rather than dry and sour as it usually is.

So for me, this is a surprise hit!

Okay, for about 10 seconds, I got ginger ale and white cake with buttercream frosting. Then just ginger ale, with a splash of cleanser. The BF says if we scrubbed down the bathroom with it, it would smell pretty good.

Meh. Time to swap.

In bottle: Champagne and vanilla cake! It's the same kind of cake-y goodness that's in Beaver Moon 2005, IMO.

On me: It's more champagne than cake, but as it dries, the cake comes out more.

Verdict: This is amazing.

At first I thought this was alllll champagne, but it's not! As it dries down, I am smelling a vanilla-ish smell, and I can see it as cake now that I see people calling it that. :) Sadly, this combination of notes dries down kind of plasticky on my skin, but it was fun getting there, anyway. :)

I don't seem to really get along well with bpal's champagne note. I think that this is the only "Champagne and-" scent that has even come close to working on me, though. This starts off as mostly fizzy, slightly sour champagne on me, and then goes through a stage of dry cakiness and buttery vanilla with hints of fizz, and then dries down to a faint booze and cleansers smell on my skin. It only lasts about an hour on me, though I do like its foodier stages. I don't need to track down more of this, but I might keep my decant and see if it gets any foodier with aging.

Champagne and cake. Sadly this is vanilla cake, and the type of vanilla that ends up smelling like playdoh to me. So its buttery plastic and fizzy booze.

Odd.

Champagne and Party Hats

On: The fizziness of champagne with sweet, foody white cake.

Half an hour in: Sweet white cake and, for some reason, something that reminds me of lemongrass. It still has a light fizziness to it.

2.5 hours in: Vegetable-y. Boo.

7 hours in: A pretty, vanilla-y, yellow or white cake. Much lighter.

Overall: This is a nice surprise. It went vegetable-y on me for a little while, which happens sometimes with foody scents, but that went away. It's really a pretty foody scent. Definitely unique.

Champagne and Party Hats

In the imp: the fizzy, almost lemonade-like champagne note, with buttercream and cake.

Wet on skin: a bit more cake at this point.

Dry on skin: champagne and lemonade-maybe even Buck’s Fizz-with an assortment of birthday cakes. I smell vanilla cupcakes with a thick topping of buttercream on top, as well as Victoria sponge sandwiched with strawberry jam. It reminds me a bit of Lilith’s Tea Party, but instead of tea, there’s champagne. Of course, the champagne is the strongest note, intensely effervescent and in here, it smells almost soapy and juniper-ish rather than pure champagne. The cake notes are gorgeous though, especially with that hint of strawberry. Interestingly, I do smell some party hats here, a bit of paper and cardboard.

After a while: in here the champagne lasts a good long time, and then it goes flat, unfortunately leaving a tinny note behind as it does. It’s oddly metallic. Shame really because the strawberry jam filled cake note is very nice, even though now it smells more like fairy cake paper cases with cake crumbs rather than the cakes themselves.

Verdict: this has the familiar Champagne note particular to WC exclusives (which is very different to the usual champagne notes in regular LE and GC scents) combined with birthday cake. Like dipping slices of cake in champagne, or maybe spiking the cake with bubbly. This is not a party for the kiddies. The champagne is strong, almost obnoxiously so, and the cake is quieter but I smell icing, jam and buttercream as well as the cake itself. The drydown, once the champagne fades, is a little papery and lacklustre. It’s one of the nicer Champagne exclusives I’ve tried, but not enough to keep.

Is it a keeper? no.

Simple but wonderful; fizzy champagne and buttery vanilla cake with tons of sugary vanilla frosting. It might seem these two might not go together, but unlike White Chocolate Martini in which the gin and white chocolate notes seemed like two separate things constantly butting heads on my skin, this one is an equal balance of not-too-dry champagne and luscious cake. Seriously, I thought that the name implied it would be champagne and metallic cardboard like actual party hats so I was pleasantly surprised.

i will always be grateful to the awesome bpaler who sold me my bottle of champagne & party hats, because it is such a great scent and it makes me sooo happy! it just smells so... celebratory!

the champagne here is sweet and fizzy. how does a perfume smell fizzy? i will never know. it's effervescent, bubbly, sparkling- everything champagne should be! and it's combined with cake, and not just any cake- this is most definitely a delicious white cake with creamy white frosting and pink icing and sprinkles. it smells like a very happy birthday. in fact, i think i will make it my official birthday perfume!

I finally snagged an imp of this with an awesome swap and swapper! Like many of the champagne scents though, over time this has become allll champagne. I detect something in the background which I believe to be the sweetness of cake and/or frosting, but it's barely discernible to the fizzy champagneness, like I have to get up close and intimate to detect it. As I love BPAL's champagne note, this isn't a total loss, but a bit of a disappointment. Le sigh.

Wet: Unshockingly.. this is cake and fizzy champagne! Pretty much a 50/50 split as far as strength is concerned. I feel like I should be at a birthday party or something when I smell this.

Dry: While the wet stage was more like.. eating a slice of cake while drinking a glass of champagne, the dry down smells more like champagne-flavored cake. (Some of the fizz from the wet stage is gone, so I think that's why my nose is interpreting it that way.)

Totally appropriate for a party. Fun scent!

This is probably due to testing Gingerbread Invisible Man not too long ago, but I'm getting ginger ale from this instead of champagne. Vanilla cake and frosting, the frosting reminds me of cream cheese frosting? 

Usually when I try a boozy scent and I don't get a lot of those notes, I am a bit disappointed. However when it comes to this, I think the blend of cake and champagne is pretty equal and I wouldn't want the champagne note to be stronger than it ends up being on my skin. This is a really fun scent and I can't wait to wear this for special occasions.