Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dry white sandalwood wrapped in thin woods, soft grasses and the lightest white flowers layered over cajeput and the warm, deep scent of embalming herbs.

No florals at all. This is very light, woody and herbal. I like it. It isn't very strong, but it's very simple and understated.

The first note I pick up upon sniffing this out of the vial are deep woods! Lots of fresh wood chip shavings.

On my skin the wood chip smell is still very prominet and is not paired with a very sexy sandalwood. Oh how I love you my dear dear sandalwood :P

There's a light breeze of something fresh in the background. I imagine this must be the herbs and grasses.

Thankfully nothing floral stands out in this blend at all which makes me a very happy girl :D

Two thumbs up! :D

I got this as a freebie in my last order, and decided to try it out for Halloween :P

In the bottle, it's very sandalwood... I can just barely get the florals.

Wet on me, it's very earthy... almost like early spring flowerbeds, with cold dirt and a hint of greenness coming around. The sandalwood gives it that sort of incense smell, but it fades pretty quickly. As it dries more of the herbs and flowers come out, but it's still very... I want to say "grounded"? It's not at all heavy, but there's nothing of air or sky in this one.

I'd put this in a family of scents with scents like Zombi and Destroying Angel... my notes to myself keep saying things like "_______ and dirt".

Wow, I could have sworn there was patchouli in here. That's what it smells like on me: a nutty, soapy patchouli. (It must be the florals that go soapy.)

OK, other people seem to be getting heavy sandalwood or woods...but I am getting heady, heavy florals and a bit of smoke/woodiness.There must be jasmine in this, right? I think I smell it...Argh. This is one of the few blends that I had an "I need to wash this off NOW" reaction to. more than five minutes on my skin and I would have gotten a raging headache. Strange, because I thought that this would actually be a nice blend from sniffing it in the imp.

first off, this is not a very 'me' scent, but i think if the florals weren't there i might like it. i get a herbal sandalwood from this but the white florals add a soapy tone to it and it kind of reminds me of ivory soap but sharper. not really my kind of thing.

In the bottle - Sandalwood

Wet on me - Sandalwood

Dry on me - Light airy florals with a hint of sage? (the soft grasses possibly)

Overall - This this an intimate delicate scent, which I like, but don't see me wearing

Sandalwood, definitely, but overlaid with pale flowers. This is nowhere as dry as sandalwood usually is on me. It actually strikes me as a green scent, like the wood is slowly being engulfed by the garden. It is very solemn, however--I don't have any problem picturing this scent in a quiet cemetery. The older kind, with family plots and pretty weeds entwining the tombstones.

In the bottle: Sandalwood and spices.

Wet: White sandalwood and more woods, it smells very dry.

Drydown: Very dry sandalwood, and nothing much else. There are hints of spices from the cajeput, and it has a bit of an oriental feel. I get hints of lily, I think, but it's very discreet. After a while it warps into... toilet deodoriser florals. Eek. This smells unfortunately just like a product that I smelled in old ladies' toilets.

Overall: It's pretty much white sandalwood single note on me, a bone-dry blend with dry flowers... not really my thing, it goes pretty sharp on me, too. Then there's the toilet deodoriser scent. A complete no-no for me.

Very dry-smelling, with lots and lots of sandalwood. Not much in the way of florals or herbs at first, just sandalwood. Soft. Over time the herbs come out a bit... unfortunately I preferred the sandalwood without herbs. It's not bad, but I like others better.

In the Imp: Mmm, sandalwood and light florals.

Initial Wet: Very bold sandalwood layered over florals and herbs. Smells like a bouquet of dried flowers on a sandalwood chest.

Initial Dry: The cajeput comes forward and I don't think I like it. It's a sweet that goes sour on me with a eucalyptus-like freshness.

Drier Dry: This fades very quickly. All that's left is a hint of sandalwood and grass, which I like very much, but it's gone very quickly.

The drier dry is the scent I was hoping for, but it goes through a sour phase before it reaches that. The whole thing is gone in a little over an hour.

a review of Shroud

Vial ~ sandalwood with some soft floral in the background. The sandalwood

gives Shroud this musty scent reminding of something hidden away for

along time.

Wet ~ the sandalwood is still the most prominent note, but there is this

citrus herbal scent behind it that wants to take over.

Drying ~ The sandalwood no longer has that musty scent and it is toning

itself down, while the herbal scent does take over.

Dry ~ Shroud has changed a bit, the scent still has the herbal smell but I

think I am picking out the grass now. The sandalwood has blended in

completely and I have a very hard time picking it out on its' own.

Fade ~ The scent does linger for some time. I have had it on for over an

hour and I still get wafts of it every now and then.

Final thoughts ~ Shroud has a very nice, distinctive scent, but I am not

feeling any real love for it. I don't hate it either, but it just is not

calling out to me. On a scale of 1 to 5 ->3

Thanks to the Lab for the frimp. :P

Imp: Sandalwood with a piquant bite.

Skin: This has a green herbal type of sillage on me. It's a nice masculine type of aura, though not the type that I would normally wear.

Drydown: Eventually this evolves into a type of savory scent, very interesting. I would love to smell this on a man!

in the vial: minty flowers

on me: weird, ketchup...

later: sterile blood, tomato, flowers

much later: sun-dried laundry

This is soooo weird.

This is a light floral heavy on the lily, with a faint herbal tone.

It's very light. On, it has a faint sandalwood base and a camphoraceous note hovering in the middle somewhere, something sweet and medicinal. It's not a powerful scent, is in fact barely there. Overall, it has a reserved, earthy quality, a kind of shadowy neutrality. The scent of it up close is rather unpleasant, having a strong vegetal odor that smells of crushed grass stems and old roots. It smells a little dirty, a little ripe.

The herbs are definitely embalming herbs, rather than foody ones. This has a distinctly . . . off quality that lends it an air of menace. It just smells out of whack, like something is wrong.

I loved every stage of this scent! I loved the dry sandalwood it started off with, then the sudden invasion of flowers, then a slight sweetness and then finally the herbs deciding they want to come out and play after all. For me this is heady, but I love it.

It is a dry, herbal and woody scent on me. There is a light floral touch in the background.

In the imp: Sandalwood and herbs, somewhat sweet.

Wet: Dry sandalwood and a touch of herbs.

Drydown: Lots of sandalwood! As it dries the florals appear and grow stronger, but the sandalwood is stopping them from taking over. Thankfully - I like sandalwood a whole lot more than flowers! It's gaining a bit of throw too - soft sweet warm dry flowers and sandalwood.

Initial Dry: Hmmm one of the floral notes smells familiar but I can't quite place it (not surprising, I'm not too good with florals). I think it might be lily actually, which is a floral that I don't mind. It's perfumey now, and the sandalwood isn't quite as dominant although still very present. It's sombre yet pretty, light and yet deep.

Hmmm is that rose? Time will tell - it usually takes over on me *sigh*.

Later Dry: Ok, maybe not rose, or at least one of the roses that behaves itself. The herbs are starting to come out now, mixing with the sandalwood and florals very nicely. The florals are starting to fade in fact, and the sandalwood is getting that dusty quality which I quite like. Soft subdued dusty sandalwood and dried herbs. It doesn't change from there, just gradually fades away over a few hours.

I like this rather a lot, especially the last stage, which begs the question: Why have I not tried this before when I love sandalwood and it's been on my wishlist from the very start?

Starts out as an almost acrid floral in the bottle.

On my skin, a strong shaving lather/soapy kind of smell comes in for the first half-hour--almost like what I get out of wearing myrrh. I was going to give up on it, but the soapiness faded after about an hour, and there was a beautiful dim kind of plantlike scent left, pallid florals and dim hints of grass and sandalwood. It lasts for hours on me.

Smelling Shroud on my skin is like standing in a dark warm room and straining to make out the outlines of a figure--that same dark dreamy effect of my senses not quite being able to pick out the boundaries of what I'm trying to perceive. It is lovely.

Frances

the sandalwood is very faint, I am smelling the grasses and the flowers the most. I really liked it when I first put it on because the sandalwood was stronger, it has faded and gone mostly soapy on me. oh well they can't all work on me.

But it smells so pretty! It started with the flowers, and now the sandalwood is coming in. And yes, it is warm, but not overtly herby. It's not a wow scent, but nice enough to share with people I like.

In the imp, this is very dry and woody.

On my skin, it continues this way. No hint of herbs or florals, which is odd, since my skin usually amps florals.

As it dries, it's still mostly just...sandalwood? With maybe a bit of floral underneath, but hardly any.

Not really my thing, but lovely for what it is.