Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Kindness begets kindness. Holy hyssop, red apple, massoia bark, and pomegranate with eight different types of honey that represent the sweetness of life and new beginnings.

bottle: very sweet, rich honey with a hint of fruit and hyssop.

wet: this is very sweet. it's a fruity honey scent without being specifically fruity and the honey (for once!) is behaving on my skin, not going too sweet or weird.

dry: getting a lot more hyssop as this dries, very sweet hyssop over golden honey and light, sweet fruit. gorgeous!

This one is really sweet for me. I want to like it, but it ends up smelling like cherry & Rico-la herbed cough drops the longer I sniff it.

Edit: I actually tried this on my skin after aging it some. Verdict: B+

Wet: Alright, the red apple is much nicer on my skin. It's like a candied apple in the distance, framed by pomegranate juice what has been infused with a few drops of honey. It's much better on the skin.

Dry: It smells like pomegranate, red berry, and apple potpourri. There is a bit of sweetness to it, like a spiced cider, but it is so much nicer even than when applied wet. I'm pleased I have given this a second try!

Edited by mymymai

[Man review]

What this really is to me, it's the spiced cider I'd been searching for and given up on finding. The pomegranate and the apple, no doubt aided by hyssop, combine into the perfect fresh red fruit note, I get ripe apples from the tree in deep fall. This is my first experience with Massoia, and from what I read of Cryptocarya massoia (Lauraceae) it's a sweet, coconut-milky blender, so I'm sure that works in this profile's favour (i.e., +++yumminess).

I'm not sure if this is a common experience or it's just my skin, but all of the honeys add a great spiciness to the mix, as well as the sweetness. It's like when you get REALLY good raw honey and smell it up very close slowly, that spice within it but amped up to an overriding note. So yes, it is enough (with the massoia, I'm sure) to give it that mulled-spiciness on my skin.

All in a festive sweet, spiced fruit. Once it settles it's solid, 3-4 hours which is a lot on my skin.

:love!:

Othello

Tutti-fruiti in the bottle, to the extent my husband cried "Whoa, FRUIT" from three feet away. Sadly, like most of BPAL's apple, this one turns sour on me. The honeyed layers really are rich, deep, and gorgeous, though.

In the bottle, it smells like honey wine and pomegranates. Specifically, the sweet, syrupy, front edge of the lab's pomegranate note.

But the note here behaves a lot like it does in Fruit of Paradise, which is sweet at the start and has a dry, tart, almost woody edge on the finish. The second this oil touches my skin, it reverses and turns into straight up hyssop with beeswax. Fortunately, the hyssop relaxes and the other notes come through and round things out over the next 15 minutes or so.

Once it has settled, it smells like hyssop, massoia bark (which, together, have an almost spicy and smoky aroma, the same way that frankincense is sometimes spicy -- I think frankincense is definitely a good point of comparison for how this smells on my skin), rounded out by gentle, waxy raw honey. The pomegranate is there if you look for it (simultaneously sweet and bitter), as are the apples, but neither dominates the blend (although I am finding that the pomegranate is gradually getting stronger as it wears). The apples are very fresh and true smelling, BUT, nestled in the honeys, and with the spice-like hint of the bark and hyssop, the effect is somewhat like apple cider.

I don't like apple scents. But I do like this. It suggests apple cider without actually being apple cider.

I tend to amp sweet, so the sweetness of the honeys soon returns, but it remains balanced by the herbaceous qualities. I don't know if it's from the hyssop or from the bark, but there is just the slightest trace of evergreen here. I have never smelled actual massoia bark, but the scent here reminds me of peeling bark off of pine trees as a kid. I wasn't sure if I'd like this scent, but it's gorgeous.

So, in a sentence, Mitzvah is a well-rounded, sweet, gently herbaceous honey scent, colored red by the pomegranate and apple. Try it if you like: Fairy Wine, Eros, Lambs Wool, Delphi.

I would agree with the comparisons to Lambs-Wool, although on me this is less a potpourri scent than Lambs-Wool. To me this is fruit rounded out by the sweetness of honey. Lately honey has been going all sour and funky on my skin, but thankfully this must have whatever the "good" honey is because that does not happen. Instead, I get a rich, golden, apple-y, beeswaxy scent. I'm so glad my BF went out of his way to find someone to pick this up and surprise me with!

when all is said and done, this scent becomes Mead on my skin. The boozy-honey that only a fine bottle of fae wine can provide, this scent has a medium throw, good staying power and the ability to be both sweet and food-like without being actually foodie or childish in any way.

A lovely scent for the winter months, I also forsee it being quite lovely on balmy summer nights.

Total keeper

:)

At first this smells like a delicious honey on my skin with fruit...which is quite surprising b/c Honey and I don't get along. :yum:

Dried down: This becomes a floral, sweetened, honey meade. :sick: This just makes me ill to my stomach and gives me a headache. I like to drink the stuff not smell like it. :rasp: Total swapper. Not a fan of this one. *sigh*

Oh, this is srsly honey. I usually don't like that but this has some other notes that balance it out. Something lightly sharp--the hyssop maybe. Only thing is, I wish it lasted longer on me! :( I like it lots though.

Big :wub: to Dark Alice for sharing a tester of this one with me!!

So usually honey is a no-no on my skin.. it generally goes all powdery/funky/cloyingly sweet. But not this time! Actually I probably wouldn't have noticed that there's honey in this blend if I didn't see it as a listed note. Now that I know it's there, then yeah - I can smell it, but perhaps because it's a mix of eight different honeys I'm getting a very different result from the usual BPAL honey note.

The pomegranate is clean and fresh and sweet - nice and red. The apple is also red, I think (rather than green) and that too is fresh and clean. The hyssop is providing nice balance to that fruity sweetness, its gentle smokiness is present but not overwhelming. Overall this is fruity without being too fruity - it's soft and gentle, very pretty.

This is a lovely blend and I'm glad I got to tr it.

To me, this was initially a combination of cherry cough drop and pomegranate. And now, its definitely pomegranate with honey. Sadly, it never seems to lose its almost medicinal edge.

PASS.

I didn't get honey or pomegranate--instead, this smelled nearly exactly like Gluhwein, the BPTP perfume, on me!

Thanks to Dark Alice for sharing a tester with me too! You've enabled us!

I like this. I love the lab's honey scents, so it's no surprise I like it. I like the really thick,heady honeys (say of Honey Moon or Litha) and these honeys are like that: really rich and strong. The fruits smell like cider to me rather than fresh fruit, and the pom mixed with apple gives this an almost cherry cider vibe, so with the slight whiff of hyssop that comes in occasionally, I do understand the cough drop comparison, though luckily it doesn't do that on me.

This is so nice I might have to put it on my wishlist, though I suspect the chances of getting more are slim indeed. And I don't want to cause a panic, but this reminds me very slightly of the long gone (and missed) Lughnasdah....that rich cherry cider sort of thing. Of course it's been an awful long time since I've tried Lughnasdah, so, ymmv.

icon_biggrin.gif

I LOVE the Lab's honey note, so I HAD to beg Tramp to get me a bottle. :twisted:

It's very fruity and sweet in the bottle, less fruity and sweet on my skin. Kinda sharp - the hyssop and bark must keep it from being overwhelmingly sweet. Very appley upon application, but dries down softer. Reminds me a of a sweeter Sir Hugh Ockram's Winding Sheet (must be the hyssop).

Apple and honey, two of my FAVORITE notes, paired with pomegranate, andother favorite!? I just had to find a bottle of this, unsniffed and all :D

Wet on Skin: Pomegranate immediately takes the forefront, with tart apple and honeys pretty close behind. There's also a herb/floral note that I keep catching whiffs of, which I assume is the Hyssop (though I'm not familiar enough with the note (read: not at all) to be able to identify it).

Dry on skin: There is a definite herbal feel to the blend now, but I'm still getting a strong apple/pomegranate note at the top of the blend, with a base of sweet honey. I'm also getting a nice throw of apple on this one, that I keep catching whiffs of while I type.

After a while: Pomegranate with a sweet base of honey and hints of other stuff (is it the massoia bark? the hyssop? heck if I know!)

Final Verdict: Lovely! White this doesn't end up having a whole lot of apple in it on my skin, I love the combination of the Pomegranate and Honey notes! And while I can see the comparisons of this to Lamb's Wool, I really do not think that they are all that similar. Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah is MUCH less potpourri and less creamy than LW. This is also far sweeter and more tart/crisp than Gluhwein, though I would say the two scents are very closely related .

Rating: 4/5

If you like this, try: Gluhwein (BPTP), Mead Moon, Fearful Pleasure, Lamb's Wool, Fruit of Paradise, Harvest Moon '05, Punkie Night, Candy Apple (BPTP)

Using a slightly altered yeahbutnobut review formatting, because it is the epitome of awesome and helpful.

The only listed note that I really like in this is apple (and the lab's apple notes tend to turn to heavy spice or soap), so I didn't have high hopes for Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah.

First on, this smells like intense, heavy, cloying honey on my skin. Then it dries down to more of a spiced pomegranate with hints of honeyed sweetness. The pom smells very tart and red to me and the apple seems to be more cider spice than actual fruit. It has a very potpourri-esque quality on me that even my husband noticed. Not so good.

The lab's pomegranate just doesn't seem to get along well with me at all...

This is mostly a slightly sweet red apple scent in the bottle-very pleasant.

On my skin this is a warm, spiced cider kind of scent. O_o A bit earthy/woodsy, a touch fruity, but mostly warm apple cider. Very lovely! I know some people were overpowered by honey but I don't notice it that dramatically. Though as it dries it starts to go sweeter.

This scent didn't last super long, but it was a lovely, pleasant slightly sweetened and lightly spiced apple cider scent. I'll be honest-I have had two cider scents in the past (Punkie Night and Fearful Pleasure) and even though I enjoy the scent, I found I never wear them despite how pleasant they are. I have two bottles of this-one will definitely be swapped but I'll hold onto the other and see if this time I actually wear a cider scent!

I was so excited that I got to try this! I love honey, love apple, love pomegranate, so I figured this was a sure win. I get a deep, thick honey - maybe waxy - and the pom I recognize from Proserpine. I think apple is whats sweetening this up. All this with a darker undercurrant. Really lovely, I can't believe this isnt getting more love!

Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah

On: An incredibly delicious, sweet apple scent.

1.5 hours in: Powdery and woody with a bit of sweetness.

5 hours in: Prettier now. Powdery and a bit sweet and herbal. Unfortunately, there's still too much of a wood scent for me.

7 hours in: Mostly woods, but with an interesting herbal/sweet scent.

Overall: This doesn't really work on me.

I don't know what to think about Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah. It smells like ... honey, sort of, not the bad powdery honey, and velvety red flowers, with a touch of spice. There's maybe a bit of red apple, but it mostly smells like smooth red florals to me. I don't dislike it, it's just not me.

Mitzvah Goreret Mitzvah - This is a really pretty, sweet fruity-floral scent. The dominant note is the apple, with a bit of tart pomegranate to keep it from being too appley. The honey sweetens up the scent, but doesn’t dominate the apple. The hyssop gives the scent a hint of a floral bouquet that keeps the scent from being entirely fruity. It’s a really pretty and fresh scent that reminds me of something I’d wear in the spring/summer months. Unfortunately, I don’t generally enjoy apple scents more than just for a sniff here and there, so it’s not really one I’d ever reach for. I’m still glad I got to try it!

Sweet and fruity - and also slightly boozy on me. My first impression was actually cherry amaretto overlaid over a strong floral... Odd.

Enjoying this, though. Honeyed pomegranate, mmm.

In the bottle: Tangy sweet honey, with a nice fruity warmth beneath.

Wet: Pom and honey. It is warmer than expected, very sweet almost like sticky candy, but with a deliciously complex aspect for something that appears so sweet.

Half an hour: Soft, incredibly beautiful honey with some wood beneath. I was afraid for the red apple note, which is sometimes too Yankee Candle for me, but it's either not present or blending in seamlessly. I hope it stays like this!

Two hours: Remarkably soft sweet honey, well balanced so it's not sugary or cloying or heady. I love this.

Five hours: Stayed true, but light. Mostly gone now. I wonder if this would be a good cosmetic scent? The early honey note is so wonderful!

I wound up acquiring several bottles of this; it is my go-to honey scent.