Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorna Brigid

Ginger scents & the different types of ginger notes

Please forgive me if there's an existing post this fits under, but i didn't find one.

Any ideas for a scent that involves both ginger (any kind of ginger, really) and a dark chocolate/bittersweet note?

I recently made some double chocolate cookies and, on a last-minute whim, diced some candied ginger and threw it into the dough, and now i'm OBSESSED with the scent. Chocolate-covered ginger has always been one of my favorite treats, but this was off the hook.

Thanks!

I do not know of anything being made now, but there were two in the past that may meet your needs that I am aware of :)

'Chocolate, Espresso, and Gingerbread" which was an Yule imp release in 2010

'Milk chocolate, coconut, cardamom, rum, and ginger truffle' which was release in January 2010

If you can find those they may be close to what you are looking for, but you can also mix some scents! Bliss isn't dark chocolate, but milk chocolate and I use it to mix with some of my favorite gingerbread scents like any of the Gingerbread Poppets or Mother Shubs Gingerbread Temples. One scent on one wrist, one on the other, and rub together!! :lol:

Other lovely forumites will have other suggestions too, but those are the ones that popped into my mind tonight!! Good luck!!

What Dee said!!!!

I was able to get a couple of those Choco Espresso Gingerbread imps a while ago and it was SOOO AMAZING! Was asking the Lab if they would make that in bottle form!! :yum: BUT the Milk Choco, Cardamom, Rum, & Ginger Truffle might be a bit easier to find...I have a half bottle of that and LOVE that one as well!!! Even though it is Milk Choco, it is very lovely....might be just what you are looking for!

What Dee said!!!!

I was able to get a couple of those Choco Espresso Gingerbread imps a while ago and it was SOOO AMAZING! Was asking the Lab if they would make that in bottle form!! :yum: BUT the Milk Choco, Cardamom, Rum, & Ginger Truffle might be a bit easier to find...I have a half bottle of that and LOVE that one as well!!! Even though it is Milk Choco, it is very lovely....might be just what you are looking for!

Thank you both - i will be sure to try and track down both of those! (The holiday releases often escape me, so i hadn't even heard of either.) I love both coffee and boozy notes, so either one should do the trick nicely. :D

I also found, after some flapping about, Milk Chocolate, Raw Ginger, and Butterscotch, in case this interests anyone else.

No luck with the marketplaces yet, but i'll keep digging!

Oh, I forgot about that one! I have tried it too, but it really smells like 'raw' ginger, not baked at all. It went sour on my skin really fast. But my skin amps stuff really weirdly. It might go beautifully with yours so if you find it give it a try!!

Thirteen (13) from February 2009 with the black label is what you want. Some refer to it as a navy label, but I recall somewhere that the Lab referred to it as black, so I'm going with that. Plus both of my bottles look more black than navy. Back to the ingredients, it's very heavy on the ginger and the chocolate, along with the brown sugar. It's the darkest, spiciest, heaviest Thirteen I've tried, not that I've tried that many, but most of mine are lighter.

It's fairly common to see it for sale on the forum, so shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Here's the review thread: http://www.bpal.org/...-february-2009/

Thirteen (13) from February 2009 with the black label is what you want. Some refer to it as a navy label, but I recall somewhere that the Lab referred to it as black, so I'm going with that. Plus both of my bottles look more black than navy. Back to the ingredients, it's very heavy on the ginger and the chocolate, along with the brown sugar. It's the darkest, spiciest, heaviest Thirteen I've tried, not that I've tried that many, but most of mine are lighter.

It's fairly common to see it for sale on the forum, so shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I was able to get a bottle on the forum pretty quickly, and it just arrived today; this is incredibly close! For me, right now, it's just chocolate and lots of (non-cinnamon) spiciness, but i just slapped it on straight out of the shower. Delicious; thanks so much for the rec.

I was able to get a bottle on the forum pretty quickly, and it just arrived today; this is incredibly close! For me, right now, it's just chocolate and lots of (non-cinnamon) spiciness, but i just slapped it on straight out of the shower. Delicious; thanks so much for the rec.

Good! Also, be sure to roll that one around before you apply it, to make sure that the chocolate gets well-mixed with the spices. Often the notes will separate in the bottle.

Gingered Chocoalte Souffle is exactly like these spicy ginger lip truffles http://www.realfoodtraveler.com/2016/02/moonstruck-valentines-chocolate-deliciousness/

I wore Gingered Chocolate Soufflé today! It has the most amazing candied ginger note. I am a ginger fiend!

Since the ginger thread got bumped anyway, I might as well throw in my other recs:

Eau de Ghoul Dessicated skin coated in blackened ginger, cinnamon, and mold-flecked dirt, with cumin, bitter clove, leather, and dried blood.

Vespertilio Proterus Warm golden ginger, wild fig, and vanilla cream spiced with saffron, limu amani, nutmeg, coriander, and angelica.

Sudha Segara (I'm sure it's been recommended before) Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia

Those are just a few of my other ginger faves.

Hi there. My two favorite scents from bpal have been Hungry Ghost Moon, and Snake Oil. I've tried, so, so, many GC scents, and only these two have struck my fancy. My Hungry Ghost moon is going to run out eventually, and I'd love a recommendation for something, so I can always smell like spicy ginger cookies.

I love spicy and sweet scents. I love amber, but I just loooathed O. Snow White smells like straight play dough to me. Dorian would be lovely as a fabric softener, but as a perfume it was just so sweet to me. I had high hopes for Bengal, but it wasn't complex enough for me. It just smelled like a sweet creamy, watered down cinnamon scent on me.

Do you all have any suggestions?

Have you tried Shub-Niggurath? For me it starts off like ginger cookies, but there is also a bright, fresh ginger aspect. It straddles sweet and spicy wonderfully!

I found Jack to be a nice nutmeg/clove combination and never got any pumpkin.

Bengal is a cidery spice with honey.

Alice's Evidence is prune juice and cider, which is much nicer than it sounds.

Pumpkin #5 from the 2007 Weenies is pumpkin, bourbon vanilla, coffee, and ginger.

Pumpkin Latte (I tried 2010 and 11 Weenies) are heavy on the spice and light on the pumpkin and coffee.

Oh ginger! Have your tried Haloes? Notes are-Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.

It definitely has the sweet aspect and the ginger is very prominent. I feel like this would be perfect for you. It's currently sold out from where it's retailed but it shouldn't be too hard to find plus it will be restocked eventually. :)

Haloes, Shub-Niggurath, and Pumpkin Latte all sound delicious and are not scents I've sampled yet. Thank you so much for the suggestions! I love reading through the Catalog, but it gets so overwhelming. Even after ordering for years. I wish the search feature had some sort of AI that could understand my need to smell like adult Ginger Cookies.

Thank you all so much :D

Shub-Niggurath is definitely what you need for spicy ginger cookies!

Gingerbread Snake is gingerbread Snake Oil goodness, it's a limited edition but you might be able to track it down in swaps.

Sudha Segara is a snuggly, milky ginger and definitely worth a try!

Good luck! :)

not ginger but creamy spicy on me are

pickled imp: Cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and pine sap.

pepper: Wild English roses, French gardenia, vanilla, honey, golden ginger, blood orange, pine resin, pink pepper, crushed berries, tuberose, bergamot, and geranium.

defututa: Olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood, and champaca flower.

Obviously you can't be a floral hater for the second two although to be honest they don't smell floral to me {I know I am a weirdo}

The most gingery scented one I own is

MOPSFLEDERMAUS
Brown sugar and ginger root with smoky clove, bourbon vanilla, cardamom, and Indonesian musk.

It is a sharp ginger clove mix in bottle and wet. Reviews here

Also re: hungry ghost moon it has been released 3 different years--the last time in 2013 so they might come out with it again next year.

Or you can keep an eye on their etsy page. :-)

did you see that there's about ten new scents with the Yule update, that all have ginger and gingerbread as dominant notes??? Looks like you picked the perfect time to try out some new goodies!

Hi! I am also a ginger lover! There's a whole thread on ginger scents here http://www.bpal.org/topic/71612-ginger-scents-the-different-types-of-ginger-notes/?hl=ginger which you might find helpful!

My personal faves are:

Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, Rum and Ginger Truffle

Vespertilio Proterus - Warm golden ginger, wild fig, and vanilla cream spiced with saffron, limu amani, nutmeg, coriander, and angelica.

Gingered Chocolate Soufflé

Sudha Segara - Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia

and Eau de Ghoul takes the cake! Don't let the weird description fool you, it's amazing.Dessicated skin coated in blackened ginger, cinnamon, and mold-flecked dirt, with cumin, bitter clove, leather, and dried blood.

Mother Ginger

Flesh Eating Reindeer from Uranus

Shub Niggurath (3rding the suggestion)

Gingerbread Poppet (hard to find but not impossible)

Gingerbread Sin

Ginger Skulls

Vespertilio Proterus (seconding)

Saw-scaled Viper

I have a thing for ginger myself , these are the sweeter, foody gingers that I like, I can go off on other categories if you like

Edited by sprout

Gingered Chocolate Soufflé turned into pure gin on me. It's like a mirror of 21. I happen to love 21 so that's not a hardship, but there was no ginger or chocolate in it on my skin.