Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorna Brigid

Ginger scents & the different types of ginger notes

I agree about Shub-Niggurath.

I get a large amount of ginger from Hungry Ghost Moon 2011 (Offerings of sweet rice, ginger candy, sugar cane, smoky vanilla and rice wine mingle with a ghost's perfume of white sandalwood, wisteria, ho wood, ti, white grapefruit, and crystalline musk. This scent is tempered by the presence of ten herbs, woods and resins used in the purification of the spirit), as well.

I love Bath and Body Works Orange Ginger!

I really want to try Entangled as well.

These are not similar to B&BW, but you might want to check out "Ginger Skulls", and "Mother Ginger"

Good Luck :D

I second a bunch of these - I don't even favor ginger, and I love Mother Ginger. Young Pine Saplings is awesome too in my opinion. Also:

Opuhi: Ginger blossom and vanilla orchid.

Very pretty and summery light scent - it's amazing. It's not in your face ginger - it's more of a subtle feel.

Good luck!

Wendy

Personally, my favorite ginger scent is Ginger Essence by Origins.

BPAL wise, I love the ginger of Bed Bug (the NYCC 2010 exclusive imp).

I agtee with the Shub rec. I lub da shub. :D

The gingeriest scent I can think of right off is not a BPAL; it's Possets Silver ginger, and it's lovely too.

A fruitier ginger suggestion for you would be Baobhan Sith, which is listed as: Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

My personal favorite is another of the Diabolus scents, Kumiho: A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger. This reminds me of the White Tea and Ginger B&BW scent, but cleaner and prettier.

If you like deeper scents, check out Vixen. It's ginger, orange blossom and patchouli. They blend together in a way that creates a rich, sexy fragrance.

If you like deeper scents, check out Vixen. It's ginger, orange blossom and patchouli. They blend together in a way that creates a rich, sexy fragrance.

Uh, yeah, how did I not think of it? I love Vixen so much. :wub2:

Personally, my favorite ginger scent is Ginger Essence by Origins.

Likewise, I love Ginger Essence too :wub2:

From BPAL you could try Siren: Bewitching, tantalizing and dangerously seductive. A thrilling, exotic blend — deceptively sweet, but spiked with malice. White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.

Alice's Evidence is wonderful, spicy ginger. Cassis and Prune round it out nicely. It's in the GC too!!! :wub2:

I second the recommendation for Siren. It is a nice and fresh ginger ale scent on me.

Edited by inklaura

Shub Niggurath is my ultimate favorite BPAL. It is gingerGINGER, and I almost always get compliments on it (I wore it today, actually...at work, a patron was getting out her library card and said pensively "I smell banana bread or something").

I'm thinking many people will cringe when they read this but - I'd recommend:

War (Good Omens) Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks...

she is mostly ginger on me with just a hint of spice in the beginning and the dry down is gorgeous - the patchouli, honeysuckle and musk comes out and joins the ginger and it is divine.

I only have a frimp of War, and I didn't like it when it was fresh. Aged, though, I do agree with this. Nice, warm ginger and patchouli. Silly me should've gotten a bottle last year or the year before to age!

How does War age please? I've just received a fresh decant of this one and although I had really high hopes, I'm not too sure now whether I like it. To me it smells too much like Shub. I'm a big ginger fan and have tried most of the ginger blends listed here but nothing has worked so far... I think I'll go for Origins Ginger Essence instead as lab's ginger doesn't like me.

Entangled (Kudzu vine, raw honey, ginger cream, and gingergrass.) is my go-to ginger blend right now, and I love ginger!

Question for anyone who has tried both Entangled and Paduan Killer Swarm: how similar are they? I passed on Entangled in my decant circle because even though they don't share many notes, the description reminded me a lot of how Paduan Killer Swarm smells on me. I'm kind of regretting it now, though.

I can't compare Entangled and Paduan Killer Swarm because I only tried Entangled. But it did not give me a lot of ginger.

Opuhi is a great ginger scent (if you can still get it).

I love Vixen too, but the ginger in Vixen is very well blended into the rest and doesn't really cry out 'ginger' (not in my aged Vixen anyway and I got it aged so I don't (yet) know how it is when fresh).

Edited by Zorra

Just tried Ginger Skulls again and I have to say, I don't recommend it for ginger. Lightly spiced Asian pear and quince, but the ginger is barely perceptible. But, I really like spicy, zingy, hot ginger, which I know not everyone does. XD

How does War age please? I've just received a fresh decant of this one and although I had really high hopes, I'm not too sure now whether I like it. To me it smells too much like Shub. I'm a big ginger fan and have tried most of the ginger blends listed here but nothing has worked so far... I think I'll go for Origins Ginger Essence instead as lab's ginger doesn't like me.

I'll have to find it and re-sniff to give you an up to the minute on the aging of War, but I found it was far more "dry" than it had been when it was fresh, with a slightly sweeter kick (from the honeysuckle, maybe?). It was certainly distanced from Shub for me, at that point.

I was perusing the recs forum and came across an older Ginger thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/71612-ginger-scents-the-different-types-of-ginger-notes/

Some of the same are mentioned there, but also some that haven't been brought up here yet.

Ha ha, when I first saw this thread, that's what I immediately thought of! "Didn't I do a ginger recs thread a long time ago??" LOL

And someone here mentioned my favorite, too, which is Origins Ginger Essence.

The closest I found is honestly Mother Ginger. :)

If you are looking for a deep, dark ginger - give Inextinguishable Hatred from last year's Yules a try: Red ginger and black opoponax with black pepper, stinging neroli, myrrh, and tobacco absolute. I would have NEVER tried it based on the notes but after being frimped a tester I decided to give it a go. It was surprisingly mezmerizing!