Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Chocolate Espresso Gingerbread

I was very much looking forward to this and so far, it doesn't disappoint. There's a hint of gingerbread but its mostly chocolate and espresso. It very much reminds me of chocolate-covered espresso beans, and of El Dia De Reyes (but less spicy). I hope the gingerbread comes out more once this settles but otherwise, I really like it so far! :yum:

I'm not much for coffee scents but was excited to try Chocolate Espresso Gingerbread for the gingerbread. I can definitely smell whiffs of gingerbread but the espresso is very dominating. I didn't get any chocolate at all. It's not bad. I actually love the smell of coffee brewing( HATE the taste) but I'm not sure if I want to smell it on my skin.

~

It really saddens me that this was only avaliable in imp form. I would have loved a whole bottle of this 'cause this is one of THE best scents I've gotten! While it is mostly chocolate and expresso, the gingerbread gives this a nice base. Love it, and it will probably be used up by the end of the week!

LOOOOOOOOOOVE.

The blend of the different scents in this is just right. Perfect. Gingerbread Poppet is sometimes a little too gingerbready for me, but this one is amazing. The chocolate seems to be the dominant note on me, but it blends so well with the espresso and gingerbread that it's hard to pick out where one ends the the other begins.

I also wish we could buy a bottle of this.

In bottle: Brownies. No really. It’s got a very dense, dark chocolate baked goods thing going on. The spices blend well. The espresso is understated. Wet: Much as in the bottle, though the gingerbread becomes a touch more distinct as an individual scent. It still creates a delicious brownie effect in aggregate. The espresso blends pleasantly with the whole, and while distinct, is gentle enough not to cause me trouble, and I tend to react badly to coffee scents. Dry: The espresso turns a little funny with wear, taking the chocolate into left field with it. It’s still pleasant, but not as stunning, with the gingerbread flattening into something a little dry. The spices mostly blend with the chocolate. It'’ interesting, but not the stunning thing I first nosed when I opened the bottle. Odds are, this is my skin chemistry. Your mileage will likely vary dramatically.

Chocolate Espresso Gingerbread - I'm not a chocolate scent lover, so I didn't expect much from this, although I still hoped the chocolate would be light and the coffee strong. Rather, the chocolate is extremely heavy, by far the most dominant note. The gingerbread lends the overall scent a hint of spiciness, and there's the faintest trace of coffee in the background, but it's mostly just another chocolate scent that turns sour on my skin with a bit of non-sour spiciness. That means more for the rest of you, I s'pose :D

So mix Bah with Gingerbread Poppet, swirl some chocolate in and this is what it smells like. On wet it was mostly coffee and chocolate, but as it dries it is definitely gingerbread + chocolate.

Too foodie for me, but I can see why people are nuts over it.

This is delicious; I get more chocolate and espresso out of it and just a bit of gingerbread, because I tend to amp those first two notes more in general, especially coffee. I completely agree with zanoku_zen that this is very much like Bah! swirled with Gingerbread Poppet.

I get a really rich dark bittersweet chocolate with a hint of espresso, and not much gingerbread. It is DIVINE and I want so much more than this wee imp! AHHH! Luckily a tiny bit goes a long way and the stay and throw are both quite good. Very rich scent.

I`m quickly endind my imp and many others will follow! The gingerbread note is mellowing a little bit with time and it`s more evident in some days. Today it`s just rich cocoa with coffee and it`s the perfect comforting oil to a day of study at home. I truly love it.

Fudgey chocolate with a dry spiciness from the gingerbread. This oil makes me think of brownies with a dusting of spices on the top. The drydown has a bit of bitterness to it that I'm guessing is the coffee part, but it doesn't really smell much like coffee on me, and it's no unpleasant at all. This is a nice spiced chocolate blend on me, that lasts about 2 hours on my skin. It's my favorite of the Bag of Coal set.

In the imp: dark yummy chocolate, and a bare hint of ginger. it's like if Bliss had an older Goth Sister, this is what she'd smell like. :D

Wet On Skin: The ginger is coming out a bit more now. It's reminding me strongly of good Mexican Hot Chocolate at this stage, with the spice and the cocoa being one with the other. there is no separating them. :yum:

Dry down: Like beownies made with Mexican Hot Cocoa mix. what I mean is that I'm getting a warm, rich dry cocoa as the predominant note, and the gingerbread is definitely in there to lend a rounded quality, but it's not overpowering. I like the ginger in this, as opposed to, say, Poppet, because it's staying more true to actual Ginger on my skin than that one, which goes all floral and sugary on my skin. I sadly get NO espresso. I was hoping for some, as I adore the Turkish Coffee note among others, but no. Nothing. Not even a hint of mocha. :cry2:

In all: As I said before, if Bliss had an older Goth sister, this is what she'd smell like. If you find that Bliss and other chocolate scents aren't quite strong enough on the cacao, this one might be the scent you've been waiting for. And Beth? If you release this full size? I'll be the first to buy *several* bottles!

;)

This was the Bag of Coal scent I was most excited about in concept...

In the Imp: slightly sour chocolate

Wet on Skin: I think this is milk chocolate, because I am getting the same sour cream note that I get from some of the milk chocolate box of chocolate Luper scents.

While Drying: A powdery chocolate scent starts to emerge and the sour aspect starts to fade.

After a Little While: Reminiscent of El Dia de los Reyes, but a bit creamier and with less throw.

Later: faint spices and a toned down milk note

Final Thoughts: I bet the sour cream note will age out of this blend, because it is already less intense than during my initial test. I want to see what aging does to this one, but so far, it is my least favorite of the Bag of Coal scents.

Chocolate Espresso Gingerbread earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

In the imp, I'm getting spicy coffee chocolate. A bit more dusty than El Dia de los Reyes was. On my skin, much the same, but more like a cookie than a drink.

Note: I have issues usually with coffee notes, as in I amp them something fierce. So when I tested this at WC and it was delightful, I was happy to order a Bag of Coal.

In the imp: As it says on the label: chocolate, expresso, and gingerbread.

Wet: Sadly, this is different to the proto that I tried at WC; it's just all expresso, all the time. :(

The dry-down: Some of the chocolate and gingerbread make their way out, but it's mostly the expresso note. However, it smelt fab on the bf, who has less acidic skin than I do, so he's got a new smelly-goodness. I may steal a drop to put in my scent locket, though.

This sounded so fabulous. In reality, it's not really my thing. It's chocolate and gingerbread with a bit of coffee--I think it's just too much for me and maybe 2 of the three would be more agreeable to me. Oddly enough, this dries down to a sweetened condensed milk scent. I'll probably give this one another shot, but I think it might ultimately be headed to either my children or swaps.

Pretty much as the name suggests. Chocoolate, coffee and gingerbread. I love that it isn't very sweet, yet it's spicy and the expresso really tempers the chocolate. It's ok, but not my favorite of the imps sets.

In the bottle - Definitely chocolate and a crumbly gingerbread in the background

Wet on me - The ginger heats up into an explosion of spice against very dark bitter chocolate

Dry on me - There's a point where this resembles a chilli laced hot chocolate, but the heat calms down and the chocolate sweetens and eventually it becomes a lovely warm, dry cocoa scent

Overall - Very nommy

Chocolate and faint ginger which gradually fades into a deep, warm chocolate. I don't get much of the espresso but I am more than content with the chocolatey heaven this turns into on me.

Ok BPAL / BPTP people....see all these great reviews? PLEASE make this in bottle form!!! :beg: I recently got 2 imps of this, and this is such a wonderful, delicious scent!! This is a must for any foodie lover out there.

On me, I smell all components...Chocolate, Espresso, warm Gingerbread!! NEED a BOTTLE of this!!

I mean I know I'm years late to the party but this is incredible on my skin. Like a chocolate brownie spiked with hot ginger, spices and coffee beans. I will treasure my imp greatly. Unf!

(I have all of the Bag of Coal imps, but this was the one that called to me the most and it did not disappoint.)