Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

The Waltz of the Flowers

THE WALTZ OF THE FLOWERS
White musk, Madonna lily, jasmine sambac, ylang ylang, bourbon vanilla, and clove.

This is a pretty scent that is for the floral lovers. It starts off ylang-ylang, then a well-behaved jasmine, then lily, all sitting on a very light base of vanilla. The vanilla comes out a bit stronger as it dries, with a touch of clove, and soft musk. This is quite pretty so far, very graceful and sophisticated. It starts off a very potent floral but the drydown is so soft and pretty!

This starts out as a lily-heavy blend on me. The jasmine reminds me of the jasmine in Lush's Alkmaar. This ends up being a little powdery on me, but not unpleasant at all, just not sure it is me. When it is dry I definitely get the vanilla and it is nicest at this point on my skin, soft and sweet, but grounded by the florals. Elegant and pretty, but ultimately not quite right for me.

Almost all lily at the start with just the tinest hint of the ylang-ylang. Then, like moonberryjam stated, it goes all powdery. Unfortunately, the white musk and, maybe, the clove do odd things with this powdery scent that doesn't thrill me. No vanilla at all Meh.

I smell flowers!! in the imp. It does smell like a real flower- the lily, I think, but it's still just HI I'M A FLOWER! On the skin, it goes powdery, and it kind of makes my nose hurt. I get no vanilla or clove at all. It smells like a department store perfume on me- just powdery flowers and more flowers. It's not overly cloying or offensive, but it's just not for me.

ETA: And randomly, once totally dry for a while, I get CLOVE with flowers in the background. Hmm.

Edited by VioletFemme

in the bottle: a light, mostly "white" floral with a little something more...whoever said this smells like a real flower was spot on. There's a depth to this scent that reminds me of Peacock Queen (though the scent itself is completely different). VERY pretty and something any floral-lover should try, but ultimately not for me.

The Waltz of the Flowers

On: A warm, lush floral with pretty clove and a bit of dusty musk.

Half an hour in: The jasmine and lily are coming out, with a bit of sweet ylang ylang.

1 hour in: Lush, sweet, powdery flowers.

1.5 hours in: Still the same flowers.

2.5 hours in: Pretty, sweet, heady flowers.

4 hours in: Very pretty sweet flowers. A bit powdery.

5 hours in: Sweet flowers. Still powdery.

6.5 hours in: A bit fresher now, but still sweet flowers.

So even though Waltz of the Flowers has the dreaded Jasmine note-of-death and a bevy of other floral notes to be worried about, I still felt the need to take a chance on this blend, since I'm on a white musk kick.

Wet on skin: awww, no white musk, just a lot of florals, led by the jasmine and ylang ylang, with a hint of the clove at the base.

Dry on skin: PHEW, when they say bourbon vanilla, they mean BOURBON vanilla. A boozy bundle of dead flowers is what I'm getting now. Not so pleasant.

After a while: and now this has transformed into a really lovely blend of vanilla based florals! What the heck happened? Heck if I know, but I'm certainly enjoying the change! Too bad it's so faint I have to search my arm for where I applied it.

Final Verdict: Argh, kinda torn on this one! it dries down to a absolutely lovely blend, but it's eaten so completely by my skin! I'll have to try this in my hair and on my clothes to see if I can get this to work for me. In the mean time, my rating stands at . . .

Rating: 3/5

If you like this, try: The Girl, Joyful moon, Theodosius the Legerdemain, Pomegranate I (I know, you think it's a stretch, but Pom I is a LOVELY Jasmine blend),

Using a slightly altered yeahbutnobut review formatting, because it is the epitome of awesome and helpful.

Edited by haley

This is the winner of the season to me. I danced in the Nutcracker for years and this oil embodies the dance perfectly. The florals combine with the spice of the clove and tender references to carnation along with the sweetness of vanilla..magic..Great throw length as well. So feminine, graceful yet unexpected and almost unreal...LOVE! :wub2:

Lilies, soft jasmine, brush of ylang ylang (I am beginning to think that BPAL's ylang ylang note and my skin don't play well together). Tiny hint of vanilla lurking on the background.

This is young, playful, and girly. Very graceful and delicate.

The Waltz of the Flowers - Evil Lily takes over this blend from beginning to end, only allowing the tiniest hint of almost-as-evil ylang ylang through. I'm wishing I smelled the jasmine sambac and clove! Instead, all I get is heavy, heady lily and the occasional burst of citrus-like ylang ylang. This is unpleasant and needs to be washed off now.

It smelled like perfumey jasmine at first (one of my least favorite floral notes), but then turned into lily (one I usually like). The clove is really soft but noticeable, and after a while the vanilla comes out more. It was heading in a good direction -- elegant and sophisticated -- and then BLAMMO. It went crazy. Overly sweet hazy perfumey floral mess.

I don't know what happened. I think maybe the ylang ylang kicked in. That's usually problematic for me.

When I was about seven I dressed as a flower from this scene of the Nutcracker for Halloween, so I really had high hopes for this. Lily and jasmine are not usually a good sign, though. However, this becomes a very pretty floral vanilla when it dries. I get a teeny sniff of clove and the white musk gives it some lovely depth. The florals are NOT going all powdery, though...NICE! I'll need to try this again to see how it copes with a full day's wear but so far...I really like it!

This starts out as strong floral, but dries to a pretty, delicate vanilla floral. Still not me, but nice to try!

Very pretty, quite spicy and very lush. In fact this would be a sure fire winner on me if the jasmine would simmer down. Not meant to be.

:love!:

I picked up a bottle of The Waltz of the Flowers from the sale forum here, just because I liked the label. I wasn't expecting much, because I don't usually like florals, and jasmine tends to be especially awful on me. But wow... this scent is amazing on me.

I slathered this on when it came in the mail and didn't remember too much about the notes. I thought that it smelled like the most gorgeous, soft, honeyed, creamy lily note ever with hints of clove warming it up and a sweet vanilla edge, all wrapped up in a clean, girly dusting powder. It's a dreamy, realistic, non-soapy lily. I don't pick up on anything like bpal's usual jasmine notes, though I can see the similarity to LUSH's Alkmaar/Silky Underwear scent.

I just can't even begin to explain how pretty and decadent this smells to me. It's like sweet bubble baths, old hollywood glam, decadent dusting powder... it smells expensive and feminine, but still youthful and innocent to me as well. And my husband kept complimenting me on my perfume choice all night <3. I need more bottles of this for sure. I think that this is actually my favorite of the 2010 Yule blends.

Not a bad scent - a little light on the florals, where I prefer the heavier. Definitely smelling the vanilla bourbon, jasmine, and lily. It's kind of interesting - when I inhale close to my skin, I almost get 'layers' of scent - one moment, it's the vanilla, the next, jasmine, the next, musk.

On the 'try again' pile for the moment.

at first this is a white floral-aquatic, then slowly the vanilla and clove start to peek out, thankfully. after this is dry for about 10-15 minutes, it smells very good. it's a powdery vanilla-jasmine-musk. with a hint of clove. it's so pretty and it really does conjure up a pale, soft whiteness like white flower petals.

eta: after a few hours, this is basically vanilla and ylang ylang. i have never been a fan of ylang ylang, but i find it quite pretty when tempered with the vanilla and white musk!

Edited by theseagrows

Fresh out of the bottle this is a lush mixture of lily threaded with jasmine. I really like lilies and wasn't sure about the jasmine note in this but the two work very well together. Lily always smells kind of icy and distant to me but the jasmine does a really nice job warming it up and grounding it. Every now and then there's a little glint of spiciness from the clove but it's pretty subtle. After a while, the vanilla and musk become much more prominent and the scent develops a powdery feel. The lily is still there, but it's become fuzzy and indistinct, almost like it's wrapped in fog. Overall, this is a very pretty lily blend and those who like white florals should definitely try it.