Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Dance of the Mirlitons

DANCE OF THE MIRLITONS
Marzipan, Burmese rosewood, white sandalwood, Somalian rose, tonka bean, rum accord, and white musk.

I am excited to be the first to review this one! It's got a lot of notes that I like, although I'm not sure how the actual combination will play out.

Initially: spicy almond extract, a little bit like Eclipse, and quite sweet. The rum is coming through now. Pretty strong throw.

A few minutes later: I'm getting some rose now. It really seems like there is some cinnamon in there too; I accidentally touched my wrist to my nose and it stings a little like Saw-Scaled Viper does for me.

This is really interesting!

After about 10 minutes: lots of rose, maybe a hint of the sandalwood. I'm not getting much white musk or tonka bean. The sweetness has largely disappeared.

Overall, I like this quite a bit. I am wondering how it is going to smell in a few hours...

Edit later: It is reminding now a bit of Black Phoenix, in a good way, since that is one of my favorites.

Seance, is that you? Oh, no... this is more complex.

Goes on very subtle and takes a few minutes to really register anything. So my advice is give this one a few minutes all to itself when testing.

I smell the Rosewood and then out comes the Rose. The other notes aren't prominent but keep this from being overly dry with all the woods.

Great unisex blend.

Dance of the Mirlitons - Another winner from the Yule update! This scent is phenomenal. It goes on with a really sweet almond scent -- sweeter than most almond blends, definitely marzipan. But the sweetness dies off as the scent dries down on my skin, and what comes out underneath that sweetness is just stunning. It's mostly rosewood, sandalwood, tonka, and rum on me, and I would swear there's a drop or two of dark myrrh in this, as well. It's warm and woody and has a bit of huskiness to it that is what makes me think there's a drop of myrrh in here, but that could just be the sandalwood blending with the tonka and/or rum. All I know is that it's positively gorgeous, it wears beautifully on my skin, has a really nice, inoffensive level of throw, and lasts for quite a while on my skin. I'll give it two snaps up in a circle!

Sweet almond, rum, and light rose. It is very lovely and not outrageously strong as almond and rose scents tend to be on me. The almond and rum notes fade a bit as it dries and the rose becomes a bit more predominant. I also begin to smell the white musk as it dries more on my skin.

When I opened the bottle, I was bummed out at how marzipanny it was. I thought it was going to be like Ghoulish- very sweet and foody- but I am so glad I was wrong!

It starts out creamy almond with a hint of butter. Not very sharp considering its almond, but thats all I noticed. The top notes only last about 5 minutes on me until they morph.

The middle is definitely rose-forward, I get major migraines from most floral, but this is soft and just a bit powedery, probably from the sandalwood peeking through.

After about an hour, its a delicious warm wood scent. The rosewood is gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of O, but much less sweet. This has more of an earthy quality to it.

I absolutely LOVE this- it morphs a ton and smells heavenly all the way. I am so glad I opted to get this, I am surprised this hasn't been getting a lot of love on here!!

I love the scent of marzipan, and maybe i just love the word "mirlitons"...it just sounds so fantasy/storybook...anyway...the scent: marzipan and softy, incense-y rose...the marzipan doesn't stick around long, i think that's true of most marzipan scents i've ever tried...it goes to a soft rose, incense-y...i think it's the rosewood i smell most...it reminds me a bit of all souls, in its combination of foody/incense-y rose...as it tries, there's the tiniest hint of the rum accord, but just a hint. i find this scent to be soft, girly and kind of romantic - it's wearable, in that it's subtle...and reminds me of swirling tulle tutus in a ballet....a very pleasant scent.

Anything that has rosewood in the list of notes is going to be an automatic must-try for me.

This one has a strong rum & almond scent in the beginning, but the rum mostly goes away after about 10 minutes, and the drydown is kind of a woody, almondy, rosy scent. Unfortunately, one of the times I tried it, it went kind of powdery, and another time the rose in it smelled like a soapy rose.

I'm going to let this settle down for a while and try it again in a few months because I'm not willing to give up on it yet. I feel like it can be better, it just hasn't gotten there yet.

Rose is one of those notes that amps up and takes over on my skin, and white sandalwood tends to go creamy/powdery smelling. I get a good dose of warm, slightly fruity sweetness from the marzipan, rum, and tonka at first, though I can't really specifically pick out any of those things. The rose is there, but smothered in the sweetness. After a couple minutes, though, the sweetness dies off and I'm left with mostly rose, rosewood, and powdery white sandalwood. The rosewood gives the rose a darker, incensey sort of feel, and the sandalwood makes it more and more powdery on me as this dries down.

I was hoping for more white musk and tonka, but the rose amps up as usual on me, and the sandalwood does its powdery thing. This is a pretty enough scent, but I already own so many rose blends that this is probably headed to my swap pile.

Fresh on my skin, this is pure almond / marzipan. A bit cloying for my tastes, but I wait. Then something warm and a little tart comes out. I think "plum? There's no plum in here." It might be rosewood, maybe tonka (it is kinda creamy). It smells really lovely. It starts to remind me of a GC blend, but I'm not sure which one. Anyway, just when I think about figuring it out, the rose shows up. It must be rose, because it goes SOUR. The GC does the same thing (whatever it is). So sad. Bye bye Mirlitons.

This one on wet has a strong almond and marzipan smell, and then it dries to a rosewood with heavy on the rose part. The rose is softer than alot of BPAL rose blends, but yes, primarily rose on me.

Pass.

In Imp: Light, spicy sweet, and nutty. Checking the notes, I definitely get the marzipan and rose, the tonka I recognize right away from Hellcat, and the rum from the same scent is there as well. The sandalwood is there in the background to round the scent out and keep it from going too floral or too foody.

Wet: Strong almond. The closest relative of this scent is definitely Hellcat (rum, almond, tonka) but this has a floral edge to it that scent doesn't. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, since the sweet, dark foodiness of it doesn't seem to require florals as well.

Dry: Becomes much more floral on the drydown. The rose busts out and swamps even the almond with its busty forthrightness. Now in the background I get a little marzipan, a little rum, and a whiff of sandalwood. How sad! The opening stages of this were really interesting, but I amped the rose so hard it killed them. Still, this turns out a nice sweet candied rose, at least on me.

Edited by Whisperstilled

Nope not for me. The marzipan overwhelms everything else and I can smell is cherry almond and unfortunately it makes me gag. Soooo disappointed.

The almond here goes to 11 at first but quickly calms down as almond tends to do. The rose, rosewood, and tonka are the most noticeable notes in the drydown--creamy rose with almond still making itself known.

The mix of almond/rose/tonka, though, is smelling just like Jergen's or some other lotion on me. This would make a lovely bath gel but as a perfume it's a bit too much!

On the plus side this is one of the few blends featuring rum that isn't ALL RUM, ALL THE TIME on me.

Wet - All I can smell is Marzipan. Sharp, like almond extract.

Dry - marzipan almost dies away. Now I get nothing but rose, and maybe some tonka and musk. Ummmmm. . . where did the rosewood and sandalwood go? :( I think I amp rose too much.

Edited by kelp

This starts out nice, a strong marzipan. After a bit, it is all floral on me, and a strong one! I think I get a bit of musk here too, but untimately, this is not for me.

In the decant: Something high and sharp, probably the almond note in the marzipan and the white musk combining. Almost not sure I want to try this.

Wet: Almost metallic now, which is not surprising, considering this particular dance.

The dry-down: Thank goodness the metallic note faded. I can now pick up a blending of all the other notes (that means no almond or musk) and they make a pleasant rosy wood scent, highlighted with sweetness from the tonka. Nice, but don't think I'll be needing more of this, especially with the metallic sharpness to start with.

Okay, I could have sworn I smelled marzipan when I tried this, but it was just a whiff. Some rosewood/sandalwoods, which actually are working quite nicely on my skin - wood doesn't always.

I'm not sure I'd wear this, though. It goes in the 'try again' pile, and I'll double-check it later.

Dammit. I bought a bottle of this unsmelled from someone, thinking it would be a perfect scent for me, but it's kicking up the rose so much, and there's something powdery in here. At first it smelled just like old-school Jergens hand lotion, but then it becomes very rosey powdery. I can smell the rosewood but it's buried under the powder. Not sure what to do with this one now. :(

In the bottle - Soft untuous marzipan

Wet on me - Again the soft marzipan, but now with a smokey background and just a hint of rose

Dry on me - The rose comes out more and more and ends up dominating the blend

Overall - I'm not really a rose fan so when it dominates like this it's not form me

First ever review for me....this was an accidental purchase via eBay. The story of how I got here's in the introductions bit but let's get onto the Smell!!!

In the bottle proper fresh marzipan, it reminds me of my mums filo marzipan fingers, I am getting a little bit of a boozy note presumably the rum accord.

Wet on skin - amaretto liqueur with rose. This is just so delish I love it.

Dry on skin - now I'm getting some wood and musk but its still sweet without being sickly. My only grumble is it doesn't seem to stick around long on my very dry skin-solution keep slapping it on.....

I love this so much I've bought another 2 bottles via the forum. This is just the most lovely scent.

In the bottle: MARZIPAN OMG.

Immediately after application: Marzipan but a little tempered by musk and sandalwood.

Warming up: AUGH WHITE MUSK IS DEATH! It turned to powder and made me gag :(

Fading: N/A

Faded: N/A

Overall: *shudder*

Rating: 0/5.

I absolutely adore this one, and am so glad that I found a bottle. :heart:

It's the loveliest creamy marzipan incensey rose, just sweet and creamy enough without becoming heavily foody. The rosewood and rose add mystery/incense and pretty sparkle. They combine perfectly with the almond/rum. The almond and rum sort of form this uni-son sweet slightly spicy and creamy stream that the other notes seem to be transported by.

I don't particularly smell the white sandalwood and white musk (or tonka for that matter). They are more of a line-softening, contrast-reducing, unifying element, I think. Like softening a drawing with those paper pens. The tonka might become more prominent on dry-down. I haven't examined this closely during that stage yet, so I can't say for certain, but my impression is that it might anchor the rosewood-rose-sandal-musk-combo later in the drydown.

This is really, REALLY pretty. And quite delicious. And just perfect for the season, too. :love:

Wet, this is one of those blends with too much going on for me to pick out anything specific--it's sweet and floral-y. As it dries, I get a soft rose tempered by warm, dry sandalwood and rosewood. The marzipan dries sweet and slightly powdery in the background.

Wet: Almond. And soap. interesting...? Hmm, also a burnt plastic edge. I'm going to let that settle a bit on my arm.

Dry: Mostly Sandalwood and roses. Which is lovely, but I have a lot of rosy blends. This is very nice, but it's just not wowing me