Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Sugar Plum Fairy

Queen of the Kingdom of Sweets: sugar plums, vanilla-infused sugar, tiare, amber musk, apricot peel, and a light dusting of cacao.

at first, there is a definite watermelon candy thing going on, under a creamy amber/vanilla/musk, just slightly powdery, but as it dries the plum comes out. i love plum; it's one of the only fruit notes i can wear! it is a clean, pleasant scent and wears close to the skin.

Sugar Plum Fairy is nice, but sugar is too weak and airy (which, coming from a fairy is right ). Find in it a point "aquatic" ( which is not for me) and it drowns out all the plum in my skin :cry2:

Edited by Melenass

Oh, the dance that I used to watch as a little girl and the "star" perfomed in the ballet. Magical sugary plum sweetened with an amber-vanilla-musk..topped with delicate florals. Wears close to the skin so distant and yet so close to the skin..beautiful, surreal, dream-like and reminicent of the dreams little girls have. :wub2:

In the bottle: Candy,fruit and a hint of winter.

On me: It starts out overwhelmingly strong and a little from the cap was enough. So be very careful. Most candy-scents amps on me... This has a staying power like nothing else.

The plum becomes almost too much blended with candy.

After two hours: Candy-heaven ahoi. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is so freaking amazing. I wish I ordered more, but seeing how strong this is it will last a long time.

At the end of the day: I smell great like a candy fruit moon meets the adult candy phoenix. I got three compliments in 30 minutes...

Wow, this is very sweet smelling! No notes are really standing out with me on this one, maybe the tiare and musk, but nothing else. Just very fruity/candyish - strong!

I knew I would like this one!

As everyone says, its very sweet. My boyfriend told me it smells like watermelon candy (an observation many here have had also) and he's right. It smells like those 5 cent watermelon jelly candies when its first applied. It isn't all candy though, and there is something pretty and perfumey behind that.

Lasting power and throw are good, and this is a keeper!

Oh man watermelon jolly ranchers... I haven't had one of those for years and suddenly I've got a crazy craving for them.

Overall this is a very light, bright, and sugary scent without being too in your face. It wears very close to the skin which I kind of regret... Very low throw.

I bought this decant as a bit of a filler in a small order and oddly enough it turned out to be the best from the set.

You can definitely pick out a sour tone of the plum, but it's not a bad sour, kind of like warheads candy sour smell. Wonderful *A* Not something that I'll spring for a bottle of, but the imp'll last enough for some fun days!

In the imp - I couldn't get much but that's not surprising, I'm terrible at detecting scents in anything other than bottles.

Wet - Light plum and not much else, it didn't stand out to me at all and I was afraid I was going to be disappointed.

Dry - Amazing morphing! The scent blossomed into delightful warm plum - lighter than in some other scents but beautifully sweet and sugared, with the vanilla sugar and apricot peel in the background. I suspect it's the musk that did the trick and warmed up all the other notes, although I can't detect it on its own.

Wonderful lasting power too, twelve hours after a light application and I can still smell it! I'm going to have to hunt some more of this down.

Sugar Plum Fairy smells like plum and vanilla, and I don't get much else, so maybe I wasn't paying attention. To me, it was a happier version of Midwinter's Eve.

So.. this smells sweet candy to me - I'm not sure it's watermelon, and I don't think it's plum...

Sugar plums are actually "sugared raisins".. way back when raisins were called plums - and sugar plums are a mixture of raisins, apricots and some nuts, rolled into balls and sugar coated... the way the wording on the notes list is I am not sure what was actually used.. plums with sugar, or an actual accord of the ingredients in "sugar plums"

Either way, I fail to actually pick out the individual fruit notes in this - I just get SUGAR fruit.. no cocoa or amber musk or any other players..

I am hoping in time the cocoa comes out because I'd love to smell it on my skin, but right now I'm not loving the sugar so much, but I will keep the bottle and age it, and test it now and again.. maybe my tastes will change one day..

On the skin: Oooh! A sugary, fruity scent! Reminds me of a fruity bubblegum!

Doesn't seem to change too much from application to dry down. Definitely a candy scent. A bit to sugary for me, but anyone who likes sugary scents will love this one!

This was a half-decant gifted by a lovely forumite.

Imp--sugared fruit, a honeydew note.

Wet--I get that watermelon candy others mentioned. It's sweet and fruity and sparkling pink but there is a touch of depth and warmth from the amber musk, cacao and vanilla.

Dry--the mellow plum-apricot-vanilla notes hold firm, with all this lovely sugar sparkle.

This is my girlhood ballerina princess dreams in a bottle. It's also the smell I'd love my kids to think of as mommy when they cuddle up on my lap.

In the bottle - A faint, slightly tart plum scent

Wet on me - Bright green, candy-like fruits

Dry on me - A clean, soft, slightly green, fruit scent

Overall - Pretty and delicate, but it doesn't really grab me

In the imp - There’s a muted sweetness here that smells really promising.

Wet - Linty citrus. Like a dishrag that’s sudsy with lemon soap. It seems a little too citrus-zesty to be the sugared plums and apricot peel. I can’t account for it.

Drydown - This one confused me in that it smells better from far away. I got whiffs of sweetness throughout the day, but when I put my nose closer to the source, it retreated under a pile of soapy rags. At one point I picked up a powdery smell too. Not sure if it’s my skin chemistry or the blend that’s wonky. Probably me.

Verdict - The sugar plum fairy poked her head out of the blend a little, but never fully emerged from under that pile of towels. Luckily, there isn’t much lasting power. I really wish I had gotten the candy notes that everyone else seems to get from this blend. Swap.

I have wanted this for a while, for very sentimental reasons (my grandfather took me to see the Nutcracker when I was really young and called me Sugar Plum ever after). I couldn't have even cared less what then notes were, but they happen to sound amazing. I already have Sugar Plum Fairy v3, and while I like it ok, it's never wowed me, and I was still on the lookout for the released version, and am now so happy to have it! The label art makes me really happy.

Wet: Fruity and sweet, but not nearly as candy-like as v3, which I am digging. The apricot peel keeps it from being too sweet I think, lending an almost citrus edge. The tiare gives it some sweet floral hints, which is lovely and the musk keeps it from being too foodie. It's beautiful, and I like it much more than v3. I am so so happy to have some of this.

Dry: Lovely. This falls more into the category of sugary, fruity florals on me than fruity/candy type scents, which is where v3 sits on me. I like this much better (also, the label art!) and am truly glad to have it.

Dusty, sugary, soft and sweet! The abricot and plums are a tad artificial but that doesn't mean that I don't get an appetite for them from this.

However my skin kinda turns this into something comparable to blue lollipops in it's dry stage, just a little more dim.
It still has a huge throw and I get whafts of it for a good couple of hours wearing this. I might want a bottle of it in the future if it gets another release, but I'm not in a rush. It is really quite lovely though!! :wub2:

Edited by Cali

♔ Sugar Plum Fairy

In the Bottle: Sugared candy Plums

Wet: On wet, this smells like watermelon jolly ranchers, it’s not heavy or cloying, quite light and fruity. It’s so sugary sweet and candied, that it almost smells like it belongs with the sugared floral twins from Carnival Diabolique (Faith and Hope). I find the sugar plum here to be more sugary and fruitier than the Midwinter’s Eve series, which to me was more floral and also maybe a little more simple and lacking depth. The apricot note here smells like the sharp apricot from Katharina...which sort of smells more like peach than apricot to me…It’s a refreshing, almost tart kind of sweet too, peach sugar, perhaps? The cocoa dust doesn’t make itself heard at all, just adds a bit of muskiness. I imagine the vanilla infused sugar was supposed to add some sort of creaminess to blend but it smells overwhelmingly sugary than creamy with my chemistry.

Drydown: The candied sugared plums now have a dusting of powdered sugar over them but are still gloriously fruity and light. I do prefer this over Midwinter’s Eve, which smells less full bodied, and maybe a little flat and one-dimensional at times.. Sugar Plum Fairy has a lot more complexity with its elements that highlight multiple notes. They are equally and expertly blended and work so harmoniously together.

TL;DR: Candied sugared plums and light peach sugar.

Edited by celestia

In the decant: This is a sweet plum scent that is reminiscent of Bordello. It's very strong on the sugar plums!

Wet: Sugar plums, made even sweeter by the sugar. It's like plum candy. After a few minutes, I start getting the vanilla part of the sugar.

Dry: The vanilla sugar has gained strength, and the plum, while still strong, has calmed down somewhat. I'm not really getting the other notes. It's all sugary plum on me!

Verdict: This is far too strong on the plum and too sickly-sweet for me, but it is definitely befitting its namesake!

This half-decant is 7 years old, so it might be the aging. I get a fizzy, plummy scent over a light musk--no cocoa or apricot. It's sweet, but the sugar doesn't go bad on my like it usually does. The Tahitian gardenia (tiare) keeps this floral rather than foody. It's a pleasant light scent, so I could wear it on a hot day without it being overpowering. However, it's not my style I am passing it to my friend.

Aquatic, fruity, floral sweetness. I smell a sweet but light fruit like plum, pear or apricot, that is also faintly reminiscent of watermelon (though it doesn't actually smell like watermelon to me). It could also be multiple fruits. In hindsight, I know it is the plum and the apricot I am smelling. I smell a floral and a sweetness but neither are heavy or overpowering and it isn't strong on the candy or sugar for me. The sugar and candy are light, which makes this scent not very foody in my opinion.The vanilla and the amber musk round out the scent very nicely. After wearing it for a while the cocoa peaks out here and there. It is soft and it blends effortlessly with the other notes. 

Instead of being a heavy foody or candy scent, this scent is more easily wearable for me on more occasions. It feels innocent to me but at the same time also mature and wise. This would be a great scent all year round. Great as a hopeful fruity scent in spring, a lovely aquatic in the summer that helps you cool down, a calming floral in the autumn and a comforting sweetness in the winter.

This scent is lighter than a lot of other BPAL scents. My decant is from 2010 so it has aged for almost 11 years and it might therefore be very different from when it was freshly made. It seems to have aged very well though and I like it a lot. I wish I had more of this.

Like all BPAL scents I feel this is great for all genders, nothing is masculine or feminine, it is whatever and however it makes you feel. In the same way all BPAL scents are also innocent and sensual at the same time because it depends on the wearers personality, mood and vibe. And it is suitable for all ages (most BPAL scents are in my opinion, perhaps only the ones with alcoholic notes and tobacco/smoke notes are not).

Edited by Freya778
Added paragraphs for easier reading