Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Sugar Plum Fairy

Queen of the Kingdom of Sweets: sugar plums, vanilla-infused sugar, tiare, amber musk, apricot peel, and a light dusting of cacao.

Ok, I will admit that in the bottle and when first applied, I do get hints of watermelon jolly ranchers. However, as this dries, the similarity disappears on my skin and I am left with a softly sugared scent with the amber musk providing a depth to it. It does have a creamy sweetness, but the tiare is present enough that it doesn't smell like overwhelmingly sugared fruit. It's quite pretty, but it may be a little "light" for me. I like my scents with a bit of an edge. However, this may be awesome for summer! Edited by crebbsgirl

Sugar Plum Fairy, to me, is very sweet and shampoo-like. Cloying and teenage, something you'd expect a high school girl's bedroom to smell like. Purple and SWEET. Sadly, I couldn't handle it. :(

I was wondering how this would be different from Midwinter's Eve, which is a very strong sweet plum candy on me (and I love it) -- this is definitely different. That same sweet plum, but it's not nearly as strong in this one. It's balanced nearly equally by a vanilla musk. It's not as bright as MWE; it's softer, but it's also prettier.

I got a decant of this instead of a bottle because I figured I already have a bottle of MWE and didn't need a similar scent, but after trying this decant I bought a bottle of it. It's very pretty.

This must be the same plum from Bordello, because it reminds me of it instantly. This is sweeter though and very beautiful, delicate and ethereal. Gorgeous.

This has potential to be amazingly beautiful, but I'm afraid my skin chemistry is never going to let this one shine on me. I'm willing to keep trying, though.

In the imp, this is moderately sweet and somewhat candy-like. I can see the resemblance to watermelon Jolly Ranchers, but thankfully it is not as sour or as strong as I feared. There is definitely floral at work here, and this is very cool in feel- icy almost, but not ozoney. It's like candy and delicate flowers have been put on ice.

Wet on the skin, this is slightly sweet, very cool floral. Must be the tiare. Most of the sweetness and sugar disappear once this touches my skin since I suck up all yummy sweet goodness. A bit of sugaryness will come and go briefly, but it's fleeting and just doesn't stick around on me. Overall, I'm getting cool tropical floral and apricot...but it's not very sweet on my skin. It's very feminine. What I don't get any of ever is cacao or plum or vanilla- they may be there somewhere, but they are not detectable at all. This goes slightly soapy on me, but it's not bad. On someone whose skin is not insane, this would be SO beautiful- it needs more sweetness to liven it up, but I think on most people it would have that. Maybe aging will help.

I suppose I can see the Jolly Ranchers association, but that's not quite how it smells to me. It's definitely sweet - lots of sugar, especially fresh out of the vial. There's a sharpness to it, and also a bit of a burnt-caramelized note that keeps it from being just pure sugar. It makes it more like spun sugar or boiling candy or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

As this develops, I get a lot more of the tiare and the fruit notes are bit more apparent over the sugary sugar. Not very vanilla-y at all, which I'm happy about. It is sweet and light and dainty, almost something I'd want to lick but not quite. It definitely loses more of the "candy" and moves more into "light perfume." The amber musk seems to be the last thing to emerge, which is what grounds everything and makes it much less of a straight-up sugary sweet scent. Never really found the cacao. The last lingering bits were slightly floral muskiness.

Overall - pretty, fairly subtle, a little too sweet-floral for my usual tastes but still a very pretty blend. I'm glad I liked this, as I spilled most of my half-decant onto the carpet and the living room will smell like Sugar Plum Fairy for days to come. :blush:

Yes, I must add my voice to the chorus of "oh my lord Watermelon Jolly Ranchers for all!"

From the first sniff in the bottle all the way to dry down, this is the main scent that appears on my skin. Only after it's been on my skin for many hours does it change at all, which is unusual, as most BPALs have the tendency to morph on me at some point, usually more than once. But Sugar Plum Fairy is most certainly an exception. Which is very good news in this case, because that Jolly Rancher thing pulled me in and kept me there. This was the scent, out of all *nine* of my recent BPAL acquisitions, that I wound up wearing on Christmas Day.

Like I said, many hours after application, it did change a bit, but the change went from somehow not-too-foodie-watermelon-candy-yum into a light but pervasive sweet and gentle sugar/floral combo. I did not at any time get the cacao, which I'm slightly disappointed about, but it's such a lovely scent that it matters not. And if I *really* felt the need to mix in chocolate, I could always put on a touch of Bliss with it or something ;)

One extra bonus? My pregnant friend hugged me goodbye on Christmas Night and took a deep sniff of me and said I smelled "delicious"- high praise indeed since she's in the throes of morning sickness and most smells are making her retch right about now...

:wub2:

Fun and cute! Ripe tangy sweet plums floating through a dusty haze of sugar fairy powder. I love apricot, like that in Common Jezebel, this is a dusty yet sparkling scent with plenty of sweetness. Eventually the tang chills out. Its spunky, and playful with a sultry, sugary, smoky like muskiness about it. I like it. :luv2:

This is my first review, but o wow, this scent is so BEAUTIFUL that I just had to.

Wet: its a sickly sweet smell of bubble gum.

Dry Down: Still bubble-gumish but the plums are really showing off now

Dry: PLUMSSSSSSSSSS, not over whelming but yay plums! The apricot softens it a little bit actually I think, but a sweet smell nonetheless

Lasts quite some time too, I woke up the next morning still catching whiffs of it :wub2: absolutely love it. Would totally recommend.

This is pretty much what I expected it to be.. sweet plums (definitely white sugar) with a hint of vanilla. I can smell the amber musk under the plum, it's doing a great job of keeping the sugar from being too sweet. The tiare is also very present, and it's keeping the plum in check.. sometimes plum can go too 'grape-y' on my skin but that's not happening here.

Can't say I'm picking up any cacao at all, nor any hint of apricot. So for me.. this is very pretty, soft sugary plum with a undertone of amber musk and a hint of tiare dancing around the edge. I had to apply quite a bit of oil for this to be really noticeable on my skin though, and after about 30 minutes it had faded almost completely away.

Sugar Plum Fairy and I almost didn't have the torrid love affair we are now engaged in!

I tried this straight from my ice box of a mailbox and it smelled very "eh", sort of plum, very sweet, and not for me.

After it was not ice cold however I decided to take a sniff and it smelled beautiful. I definitely get a sweet plum, but fortunately this does not go in the Hope and Faith candied/powdery direction that sweet fruits and/or flowers do on my skin and instead is almost a sour(in a fruity way) scent. As someone else noted it reminds me of Rosy Maple and to me a little like Pom. 2 in it's sweet, lemony, fruity feel!

On my skin I definitely smell the apricot and plums. As others have noticed I think the tiare and musk are keeping this from being over the top sweet and turning it a bit perfumey(in a gorgeous way). This is incredibly wearable and fun, perfect for work and not overwhelming if I slather a little too much on! I don't necessarily smell the cacao, and the vanilla is apparent only at the very end of the dry down for me. I love this! :wub2:

Right out of the bottle, this is sweet and plum-y, but it very quickly goes to a really subtle mix of musky somethingorother. The fade on this is awful -- no matter how much I slather, it's gone in minutes. But what I do get, when I huff my hand really hard, isn't bad. I'm sort of ambivalent on this one.

I love Midwinter's Eve, vanilla, sugar, tiare, apricot, and cocoa, but I'm not really enjoying this blend. I was hoping for a creamier, chocolatey Midwinter's Eve with hints of apricot, but it's more like Midwinter's Eve with soapy floral and a dry, perfumey musk. After about fifteen minutes, it's even more dry and powdery smelling. It's practically dusty smelling on me, and I'm not geting any of the other notes or complexity :(

I'll be sticking with Midwinter's Eve for a sugar plum scent.

This is a really glossy scent. It's artificially sweet in the best possible way. The fruit notes are almost generic... I wouldn't have guessed plum at all if I had done a blind skin test. I can see how others are getting a hard candy/Jolly Rancher feeling from this one. The lightness is like a body splash or a very superficial cologne.

Later on it does a little pirouette and turns into a delicious creamy vanilla musk. I loved it from the first smell out of the bottle and it's become one of my favorites from this years Yules.

Fresh on my skin, this is very bright, but in a drug-store-perfume kind of way. Nothing really stands out; it's a blur of clean fruit and generic florals. As it dries, there's a vanilla sweetness that makes this scent (to me) more likable. Still, it's not really my thing.

Totally psyched about this one, let's see how it goes:

In Imp: Vanilla and plum! Apricot, no cacao so far. Some of the amber musk is there, though, adding to the crystalline feel.

Wet: Very sweet, very fruity! Apricot is now coming to the fore even over the plum. I get a hint of something floral as well. This scent is complex - not just floral or just foody, but a strong combination of both. The strongest notes are still easily the apricot and the plum, but still with strangely more apricot than plum on me. I agree that it smells a lot like a jolly rancher - unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of them myself.

Dry: The drydown is indeed uncannily like watermelon jolly ranchers, with a touch of the cold and the crystalline that I assume is the last gasps of the amber musk. Oppressingly citrusy and fruity, so if that's your thing this is the scent for you. I will say that when it has dried down for a while, it starts to remind me of one of my favorite scents - Loli.Goth. It has the same bright musk and bright citrus feel, and that might be enough for me to keep it around. 3/5

I was looking forward to trying this decant, but in the end, it ended up being rather disappointing. While the plums and sugar worked well on my skin, the musk really threw everything off and the cacao didn’t help much either.

I am going to add my voice to the chorus of "Watermelon Jolly Ranchers!"

I like those, though, so I'm feeling good about this one as I skin test. It smells very fruity and candied wet, and the plum note in this is a dead ringer for the plum note in Bordello/Countess Willie to my nose. I am getting tiny whiffs of the apricot and floral, and it is very light-hearted and sweet and pleasant to wear and smell. However, since I already have a bottle of Bordello, and Sugar Plum Fairy is primarily plums to my nose, I don't really need any of this blend. If, however, you liked Bordello but not the amaretto, or Countess Willie but not the red musk, this is an alternative you might be interested in.

Heh...yes, in the vial, I too said "Hey! Watermelon Jolly Ranchers!"

On my skin though the sugar plum really takes over. It's almost a plum jam smell, very sweet and thick. Something in here is going soapy, though--I'm blaming the tiare. The apricot comes out more as it dries making it even sweeter and heavier and that combined with the soapy floral is just...a bit much. I wish I was getting the amber musk because this scent really needs something to ground it and keep it from being so cloying but I'm not picking that up.

It's close to being good but just not quite there.

So soft, sweet and pretty. On me it's all amber musk, apricot and a smattering of sugar. Beautiful!

In the bottle: candy sweetness. Yup, this is the watermelon Jolly Rancher stage.

Wet - Still fruity, but really really faint. I can barely smell anything.

Dry - It dries down to a pleasant plum/apricot (or watermelon Jello?) with vanilla sugar. The tiare and musk are there in the background and balance out the fruit. Not too sweet at all :). This is has a bit of a generic fruity-floral quality, but I like it. Perfect scent for the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Edited by kelp

This starts out as a fresh, sweet, strawberry-like blend. I'm betting the plum is translating strawberry on my skin. This blend reminds me a lot of Loli-goth, so fans of that may want to try this. This blend is not really for me, a bit too sweet and fruity, though I may feel different about this if I tried it in the spring or summer. May hunt down a decant eventually...

In the vial: I get the tiare first, with fruity overtones and definite sugary edge. Hopefully this will be the tiare that works on me, because it's so lovely!

Wet: This is warming up delightfully, more floral than fruity and with the warmth of musk beneath.

One hour: I love this. It's light, girlishly floral and youthful, cheerful. I could see wearing this when I wanted to smell innocent but beautiful.

Four hours: Very light, but still the impression of a tropical floral. The floral's very mature now, heavier, perhaps that's the musk. At any rate, never got any chocolate and very little apricot. But I like this a lot. Don't know if I'd have call to use a whole bottle of it, though, it being so girly and all.

This one I am on the fence on. In the bottle I definately get the watermelon jolly ranchers smell, similar to Midwinters Eve, which I love, but on my skin the Tiare takes over and everything else gets pushed to the background. My skin amps floral all to hell, so I don't see myself wearing this very often. Best saved for summer for formal events.

No watermelon Jolly Ranchers here--thank goodness! :joy: Earlier posters had me a bit worried!

Such a complex scent--lots of light florals, lots of vanilla sugar that doesn't go all burnt on me like the Weenie sugars tend to do, and of course, my love, the plum.

Midwinter's Eve '07 is one of my holy grails and on me, SPF is a more subtle, slightly more floral scent. The vanilla tones down the plum. I get way more compliments when I wear SPF than MWE, but hey, there's room for both in my arsenal. I do love my bodacious plummy florals! :wub2: