Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Sugar Plum Fairy

SUGAR PLUM FAIRY
Queen of the Kingdom of Sweets: sugar plums, vanilla-infused sugar, tiare, amber musk, apricot peel, and a light dusting of cacao.

I knew it would be good, but if I had any idea it was this good I would have ordered more bottles. :thud:

Sweet, mouthwatering, smells how watermelon Jolly Rancher candies taste. The scent just glitters and dances and gets better, deeper as it settles. The tiare and musk round out the sweetness. The apricot peel enhances the fruit factor, keeping it from being too candy sweet. No cocoa as of yet, which is just fine by me.

:dance:

I'll try and be as helpful as I can. Urk.

Bottle: Very plum with a hint of sweetness.

Wet: Still plum, but this is not a strong plum, it's very light and airy. It's sweet, but not overly sweet. Gentle I would call it.

Dry: Still very light plums. The apricot has come out and really enhances the plum. I don't get much of anything else, if I do it's very faint.

So I admit it: I don't know what a sugar plum is, let alone what they are supposed to smell like. :blush: I can say, though that Sugar Plum Fairy is not easily classified as it doesn't smell distinctly "foody" or "floral" or anything else. But it is very pretty. Similar to Faith on a cold sniff, but on the skin has more depth while at the same time it is delightfully dainty, and perfume-y without being overtly so. It's one of those "You smell good" kinds of scents (i.e. not the "I like your perfume" kind). It's great in today's very cold weather, but I imagine this will also be fun and wearable in the spring and summer.

Sorry I'm not more help than that. :blush:

eta 12/9: I'm wearing this again today and have tried desperately to smell this Watermelon Jolly Ranchers smell that everyone else seems to be talking about, and sorry peeps, but to my nose it just isn't there. I'm actually quite glad about that, since WJRs smell, I dunno, simple to me; and this scent is definitely something with more depth and more interest than that.

Edited by Leopard403

When first applied, this is all OMG WATERMELON JOLLY RANCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is great if you like watermelon jolly ranchers, and while I like them as candy, the scent was a little much. But as it starts to dry the "watermelon" fades and morphs into a lovely juicy plummy scent, and I am getting undertones of vanilla and apricot, but no cacao yet. There is a faint earthiness that I assume is the amber musk.

This is a very pretty scent, light and sweet without being too foody. The plum gives it a foody, candy brightness, but the other notes ground it and keeping it from being a completely foody scent. The tiare gives it a floral feel, without making it a floral scent. Just a lovely combination of the notes.

This is really lovely, not a lot of throw but it seems to have lasting power.

ltrittipoe nailed this scent: Watermelon Jolly Ranchers!!!!!

I will need to wear it again to see if it eventually morphs into something with time. I couldn't get past the Watermelon Jolly Ranchers the first time!

Lovely! Sugared Plums that aren't too sweet and the Cocoa plays the role of a foodie version of Patchouli here giving just a smidgeon of earthiness. The Tiare is so whispy. The apricot gives this a lightness.

:wub2:

I'm with Leopard in that I have no idea what a sugar-plum is. A plum coated in sugar? A candied plum? A prune? *shrugs*

Wow. I like this...a lot. Which isn't really all that surprising, considering I ordered a bottle unsniffed, based solely upon the notes (and the name). And yet it *is* a bit suprising, because it doesn't smell a bit like I'd imagined it would.

When applied (heavily) and still wet, I definitely smell Watermelon Jolly Ranchers, or some other similar red/pink hard, sweet candy. *sniffs again* Okay, specifically Watermelon Jolly Ranchers, without a doubt. Then, as it dries, things begin to soften up and even out, mellowing a bit. There's still the Watermelon Jolly Rancher in the forefront, but there are other notes sneaking up behind it, trying to dance their way into the scene and add a bit more depth. I *think* I smell plum, and there's definitely sugar there, though it doesn't really register with me as "vanilla infused" yet.

Eventually, it does seem to transition into something more grown up, and I'm really glad, because the Watermelon Jolly Rancher phase just doesn't work well for me. Maybe it's the vanilla, the tiare, or the amber (or all three), but other notes comes out to play that mellow and round everything out into a really pretty sweet scent that has a bit of throw but not enough to be overpowering. I can totally see this one being appropriate for all seasons. Depending on how it ages, I may or may not need another bottle.

In the bottle, definitely getting the juicy, liquid candy blast. Almost like a candy-sweet cocktail, one of those ones where the alcohol is completely disguised so you just keep drinking them.

Wet on me it doesn't stay candy-sweet for very long, it dries down to this glorious, soft sweet scent that's almost impossible for me to pick individual notes out of. There's that vague juicy fruit somewhere, but it's so well-rounded with the vanilla and the softness of the amber that it doesn't scream fruit, nothing overpowers anything else.

I'm not getting much of the cocoa, except for a hint of warmth. It's an effervescent scent but there's enough to keep it grounded.

I was not expecting to love this as much as I do. It's really, truly lovely.

Pardon me while I cry a little. :cry2: Going by the list of notes, Sugarplum Fairy sounded like a dream scent for me, and indeed in the bottle it smelled like an enchanting blend of foody and floral. HOWEVER. On my skin something in this goes straight to soap, and not a pretty soap at that! Sorry, m'dear, but we are not meant to be. I must find you a home where you can be loved.

Edited by karihan

The melon scent never went away for me, just turned to sour, powdery ick. :cry2:

It the bottle it had an interesting cool sweetness. Reminded me a bit of March Hare, actually. But where MH went cloying and too sweet, SPF went powdery. And there is a weird floral cologne in the background making it sour and unpleasant.

Just did an internet search, and Tiare is a type of Gardenia. Probably should have looked that up before ordering. I hate gardenia, that's most likely the icky floral I am getting.

I got this for the sentimental value I have attached to the name, but I'm afraid buying this on a whim was not a good move for me. icon_sad.gif When this was fresh out of the mailbox it was horrifying. Watermelon jolly ranchers and cough medicine, drying down to a lollipop with such a patently artifical flavor that the child eating it decided to give up half-way through and threw into a corner with some dust bunnies.

I waited for it to settle down and warm up for a while, and there's some improvement. The apricot peel pops out more from the bottle, which is a major improvement. I got really excited for a moment, because I love apricot, but, sadly, on the skin, the plum still comes off as vaguely watermelon candy-ish and really synthetic-feeling to me. As it dries down it goes spitty hard candy, which uncomfortably rubs up against the slightly spicy, very powdery cloying amber vanilla. Eventually it goes back to that dust and lint covered lollipop. With a hint of grape Robitussin.

Maybe it's still suffering some travel shock, but this smells so fundamentally wrong I can't imagine it will ever be right, at least not on me. I WANT to love it, but it's like Bordello's (also a jolly rancher festival on me) crazy sister.

Hmm, not getting watermelon - more of a sweet floral-y vanilla. Very feminine and pretty. I can't pick out individual notes though but it's nice - though no wow factor like I had thought. Kinda reminds me of Rosy Maple for some reason...

I love this! My hubby loves it on me! He kept trying to nom my neck last night.

Wet: I can smell what people are talking about with the watermelon jolly rancher association, but thankfully that isn't how my nose is interpreting it. I detest fake watermelon candy type smells, and this doesn't come across that way to my nose. Thank the lord. It is kind of sweet tart while wet, but as it dries the vanilla and amber musk make themselves known.

Early drydown: Lovely sweet-tart plums and I think the apricot might be what is adding the tart element. The tart edge with the sweet plums may be what is being interpreted by a lot of folks as watermelon. On me I can definitely tell it's sweet, candied plums, I'm so glad my brain isn't making the watermelon association!

Full Drydown: Wonderful! Need moar bottles! Candied sweet fruit over a base of lovely vanilla tinged amber musk. I don't really get a lot of floral (again, thankful for that). I think the floral may be helping keep the candied sweetness in check so that it doesn't become too much.

I love this! It's a win for me! :wub2:

Sugar Plum Fairy is the Queen of Sweets alright! It's very strong. I have three scents on my skin right now & this one I can smell with my arm down at my side. I can't pinpoint what the "sweet" is exactly but I do not detect cocoa at all. Regardless, I like it. :D

~

In the bottle: Sweetly fruity and pretty

First on: The light musk keeps this from being candy-like. (On me, at least! I'm surprised that other people find it so candy-like; I'm not getting that from it.) Surprisingly well-balanced and not overly little-girly for something with "fairy" in the name. ;)

After an hour: Yes, mostly light plum and hint of apricot over a base of very light musk. I don't get anything floral or cocoa; on me I think those notes are just adding to the soft roundness of the scent.

This smells the way little girls should always smell, although it's also perfect for grown up girls. The plum is just right, not too sweet. When I was around 12 I had a lip gloss that smelled like this and tasted good too. Sugar Plum Fairy isn't foody on me, but it smells almost edible. I don't smell any watermelon thankfully. I just love this scent and will need at least one more bottle before it leaves.

This is such a pretty scent! I agree with the Jolly Ranchers comparison, but I do smell plum, not watermelon. There's a hint of apricot mixed in with the sugary sweet plum and as it dries, a cool, clear amber, light musk, and a whisper of tiare. I can't pick out cacoa. This is a light scent and doesn't last long, but its so beautiful while its there. This is my favourite scent of this year's Yules. :wub2:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Out of all the wonderful-sounding Yules this year, this was the one that made me :squee: and buy just for the name...and change my avatar to Sugar Plum Woodfairy! :lol: The Queen of Sweets is as lovely as I hoped--I smell something cool and fruity which I think is the apricot (although I can see the "watermelon" reviews as well) and lovely sweet tiare flower with vanilla sugar underneath. A really nice, layered scent that stays fairy-light on my skin and makes everything sweet as dreams. Reminds me of a cooler version of my summer favorite, Marae, which is also tiare + vanilla but without the fruity topnote. Just lovely! :princess:

There is a definite similarity to watermelon Jolly Ranchers. On my skin, the sugar plum of Midwinter's Eve makes an appearance, along with a definite vanilla and apricot note. Sweet and delicate and beautiful so far.

I really, really like this. At first, there's a blast of that watermelon Jolly Rancher aspect, but it goes away quickly (thank goodness). After it dries down a bit, I get mostly apricot peel and sugar plums with a floralish musk. I feel the cacao grounding the scent, though. It's definitely keeping it from going too sweet, which could have happened very easily with this scent. It has a pretty strong throw, too.

I have to admit, though, when I first put it on, I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. It reminds me so much of Vera Wang Princess. I wore that all the time when I was in 8th or 9th grade. The association makes sense, though, because they do share some similar notes. Tiare, vanilla, amber, apricot skin, musk, and chocolate/cacao. Sugar Plum Fairy is more sophisticated, though. It's the woman, whereas Princess is the girl. That's not to say that SPF is haughty or overbearing, because it's not. It's grown up, but fun and kind of fluffily soft at the same time.

SPF's drydown is a soft, sweet musk (on me, the musk somewhat similar to Berry Moon's), and it's quite lovely.

Edited by plainjean

Holy crap. I may need more of this and I'm not a sugary/foodie kind of lover. This one is a sweet, very delicate plum and candy scent. And yes, vaguely smelling like watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

This is totally not the type of blend that appeals to me. And yet it does.

Mmm, delicious.

I could see this being very appropriate for a young girl.

in the bottle: a sweet sugared candy, but not overly sweet. Along the lines of Black Pearl on me, maybe just a touch too sweet for everyday wear.

I was fully bracing for something as sweet as Midwinter's Eve.

Both sadly and happily it is not! I get a creamy bubblegumy plum with musk. The musk is a lot like the subdued fuzzy musk from the most recent Hunter Moon. It isn't feral in any way, just soft and snuggly. It isn't white musk.

I can't do sugar because I always get a terrible burnt caramel smell. Fortunately, the sugared vanilla smells exactly like if you mixed a tiiiiiiny bit of vanilla extract with white sugar granuales.

The tiare is only noticeable if you are looking for it. Otherwise it blends in really well with the musky element.

Finally the cacao finishes this off beautifully. At first I thought I was smelling nutmeg, but the cacao is really what I detected. Now that I think of it, this blend reminds me of Kali in feel, but is a lot less heavy and imposing. It's creamy sweetness with a light dusting of cacao on top.