Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

The Phoenix in Spring

THE PHOENIX IN SPRING
Newborn, with flecks of myrrh still dusting its wings, the Phoenix emerges: dandelion florets, cherry blossom, spring wildflowers, and myrrh.

I'm not usually a flower girl, however, cherry blossoms and dandelion florets? And myrrh? I think I can do this.

This is a very tender new growing thing scent. This is the scent of those gorgeous green spirally magical plants that are suddenly THERE climbing the walls and fences and making the world beautiful. The green growing things that you could have sworn weren't there yesterday....or maybe even an hour ago. Jack's beanstalk could smell like this.

As the scent dries and settles in, it is less dewy and green, and more like the cherry blossoms. It is still gorgeous.

The myrrh is beginning to warm it up, just slightly, almost like the sun warming the scent of the plants. I really like this so far.

I took a bit of a chance ordering this one unsniffed as flowers can really go either way on me, but it sounded like the "right" kind of floral.

And I'm in luck! The Phoenix in Spring is very delicate and natural. Juicy new shoots of greenery and flora coming up, warm in the sunlight. It's a close relative of The Host of the Air (despite dandelion being the only named note in common, I suspect there could be bluebell, heather or both among the unnamed "wildflowers," and there's a definite hint of lacy, gentle grass in there). The cherry blossom is not overpowering or perfumy-- it's very in check, and probably the least apparent of the floral notes.

The myrrh is not strong, it's just a distant ashy dusting, but it reminds me a little of the incense note in Morocco-- warm, sandy and secretive.

Really pretty, and I'm glad I got it. :luv2: The label is startlingly PINK, but the scent really is not. :D

Edited by Aldercy

Green. And lovely.

This is the green smell of uncultivated spring.

I am very particular about florals, in that I don't go for many of them. This one I really like. For one, I really enjoy dandelion and I love the symbolism of the dandelion -- thriving in adverse conditions, bright & cheerful, wishing, uncultivated & unabashed.

This is a very green fragrance that enjoys the sophistication of myrrh.

My daughter says I smell like a meadow. :smile:

I adore the scent of cherry blossom so I took a leap and bought this unsniffed.

It starts out very green. There's something to it that reminds me a bit of Amsterdam. I'm not a floral person, so I was worried when it started out on the flowery side. As it dries down the greens fade and the myrrh comes out. It's very soft and blends with the cherry blossom in a way that I am in love with! Overall, it's a very gentle scent evocative of cherry blossom trees and fresh growing green things with a light dusting of myrrh. It's just beautiful!

This is so crisp and light! It definitely came out of the vial as a strong green floral, but quickly faded during drydown to soft floral prettiness. I couldn't pick out specific flowers, which would probably the mix of wildflowers and dandelions and such. It's just... a field full of grass and flowers and springtime air. Really feminine and gentle and young and very evocative of spring.

Unfortunately, I found that it was so crisp and light and gentle that it faded almost completely in under 4 hours. All that was left was a tiny breath of soft floral air, and a tiny hint of the myrrh that I hadn't really picked up during wear. Still pretty, even as it disappears entirely!

:wub2:

I am so thrilled with this scent. It's a perfect spring fragrance and a floral that I can actually wear. I thought that this had lilac in it, because I really thought I could smell sweet, creamy lilac, especially in the bottle and first on. The dandelion cuts through the sweeter floral and makes it wearable. As it dries down, the breezy, clean wildflower mingles with the sweetness and it just smells so clean, cool, and gorgeous.

My husband loves when I wear floral scents, so I'm happy to find one that I like as well. It's so pretty, breezy, sweet, and feminine <3.

Fresh on, this is a mix of gentle spring florals and something green, like new shoots. It smells a little pink from the cherry blossom. It's a strange earth floral combo. There's something there that wants to go soapy on me but does not. The whole time it's on my skin. It's a very pretty blend in spite of my skin chemistry, and I wish the almost-soap would leave, but I know from experience it will not. So if you don't have that problem, try it. You'll like it :)

Sniff: fresh grass!

Wet: damp green florals, wet dirt

Dry: The "wet" goes away, and now I get hints of cherry blossom mixed with an earthy, green floral. Even though it's snowing outside, my arm smells like a field just awakened by a spring breeze. Lovely!

This is very nice. it reminds me a bit of Plastic Pink Flamingo + Strawberry Moon 09 (I guess the dandelion note). This will probably be the only anniversary scent this year that I get a bottle of.

In Imp: Green green green and cherry! Dandelion, a touch of florals, lots of grass, and cherry!

Wet: Still grassy and cherry. This scent will probably end up not being for me, but it's definitely interesting. The wildflowers are starting to come out more over the grassy dandelion on the drydown.

Dry: This is a pleasant, green floral with the aforementioned cherry! (exclamation mark required) note, which is nice but fades quickly. Final drydown is more dandelion than anything else, so if highly green florals are your thing, go for it. As a former worker in a florist, I think I've had all the green I can handle. Cherry continues to peek out around the greens, and they switch places for dominance straight to the bitter end. 3/5

Dandelions and lilacs. Not overly floral, and a bit grassy. That's what it smells like to me. Like the backyard where I grew up.

I'm not a fan of dandelion scents, but I know there are lots of people who love them -- definitely try this one. It smells very true.

Starts off with a very bright dandelion scent, almost like rolling on summer grass (grassy smells are not spring-like in Iowa’s climate. Spring is the time of snow mixed with mud.) There is a touch of light florals, mainly the wildflowers. Not getting cherry blossoms at all. If there is myrrh in it, it is hiding itself very well. Maybe it works as a binding agent? I do like this scent very much, but I already have a couple of other “green” scents that are rather similar, so no bottle on this, although I might put it on my want list for swaps. Certainly going to keep the decant!

Phoenix anniversary blend test #3 - Phoenix in Spring. This could be either interesting or absolute and utter fail - lets find out!

Wet on skin: gentle, delicate florals with a substantial base of greenery/grass/broken stems. So far, this is neither aquatic nor soapy - a big YAY on that front! But this is still really floral on me - which just isn't the style of perfoom I gravitate towards.

After a while: *sigh* here comes the soapy . . . . soapy florals and soapy greenery. WAH.

Final Verdict: Oh man, this is nothing but pure soap.

Rating: 1/5 :cry2:

If you like this, try: Enchanted Wood Florist, La Vita Nouva, The Aurora Spaceship takes a Dive, The Perfumed Garden 2010

Using a slightly altered yeahbutnobut review formatting, because it is the epitome of awesome and helpful.

This is so fresh and uplifting. I can't honestly pick out the different floral notes but I think I'm mostly recognizing the cherry blossom.

Overall, I'd describe this scent as being akin to going for a nature walk on an April morning and holding one's nose up close to newly blossomed flowers and inhaling deeply the sweet freshness of springtime. It's smooth and somehow fluffy, sweet, dewy and bright but not overly so. It makes me feel happy and calm. I really really like this one - big time. :)

In the bottle: Cherry blossoms and myrrh.

Wet: Still lovely cherry blossoms and myrrh, but the spring wildflowers and the dandelion are coming forward.

The dry-down: Very much as wet. The flowers are all melding together to make a harmonious whole, and the myrrh, which is not overwhelming at all, corrals the flowers' sweetness, adding just an edge of danger. :) Lots of throw. May have to get a back-up, since this is a partial bottle. Very much a spring time scent. The label art is of a pink phoenix against a sky blue background, with a cherry tree branch with its flowers in the lower left-hand corner.

i love this one SO much. the dandelion is the most prominent note for me, and it is just wonderful, against a beautiful backdrop of myrrh that grounds the scent and keeps it from being all cloyingly floral. i definitely need a second bottle of this. gorgeous and unexpected!

Wet, I love this! Dandelion is forefront, and I adore that note. Dry, the dandelion disappears, unfortuneately, and we're left with a mish mash of spring florals. It is nice and fresh, kind of like tulips and grass, but I really wish the dandelion stayed for me. This is not bottle worthy for me, but it is rather lovely and would be nice for spring.

Hello cherry blossom! This perfume is evocative of walking around the Tidal Basin in DC in the spring when the cherries are in full bloom. The perfume is more floral than is my preference, but I'll probably hang onto it and see if I feel more comfortable wearing it when the weather warms up.

Wet and dry, this one stays pretty much the same: Roses (which is odd, because they aren't listed in the notes)! And not the nasty, composting roses smell that I got from Two, Five, and Seven. Instead, this is the wonderful scent of freshly cut roses. Deep, warm, and yet new and fresh. A+++!!

Strong green floral at first, which fades in a couple of minutes to a prettiness that the myrrh makes more interesting, only then the myrrh draws a veil over the rest and leaves just a quiet floral softness. It's like a meadow you can take with you. (It lasts a while, too.) I'll have to bring this out again when we're actually in springtime.

The Phoenix in Spring is such a hit for me! I actually did not expect to like any of the Phoenix's this year so I was surprised that I fell in love with this one.

First of all, the artwork is magical.

Second, this scent will transport you to spring instantly.

The wildflowers and cherry blossom are a wonderful combo. Grassy, colorful and just slightly sweet as the myrrh keeps if from going out of control.

The cherry blossom in this smells like bubblegum to me and that signifies that I needed an entire bottle.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Phoenix in Spring smelled like airy sweet black cherries. As it dried, the cherry note shifted more toward blossoms, dandelion came out rapidly, and the combination was so perfectly SPRING for a few minutes... and then skin chemistry happened. It turned into bitter crushed dandelion stems under a ridiculously fluffy and flowery pink-and-white cherrysplosion. Neither of those elements is bad, per se, but the combination just didn't work for me as a perfume.

So I passed the decant on to my mother, who said it smelled like perfect fresh-cut carnations, asked how long it was available, and promptly placed her first ever direct Lab order. And we all lived happily ever after. :D

Oh, this is so nice! I'm generally not big on florals, but the opening notes here are perfectly light and airy, drying down into an impossibly rich and warm myrrh. I was hoping for a bit more grass, just based on my own current longing for something green under all Chicago's snow--but that's not a fault of the scent or its description at all. A lovely, evocative springtime scent.