Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Apple

BPAL scents similar to Thymes/Thymes of London scents

I was given an envelope of Thymes "Olive Leaf" bath salts as a gift (link to product here), and I was wondering if there is a BPAL blend that smells similar. The scent is described as "the mild, healthful scent of Sardinian laurel leaf, balsamic lavender flowers, European patchouli and subtle wood notes". I don't notice the lavender so much (it smells more like the gentle scent of dried lavender blossoms than the astringent/herbal scent of lavender essential oil found in most BPAL blends containing lavender), and the patchouli is very subtle. I mostly smell natural, woody notes and something unfamiliar but delightful spicing it up (I assume that's either the laurel leaf or the olive leaf extract).

When I searched the site for laurel leaf and olive leaf, this is all I found:

Grandmother of Ghosts
(Excolo) - Her scent swirls with a high-pitched tumult of laurel, stargazer lily, splintered woods, peony, mandarin and white musk, and is spiked with pale pepper.

Delphi
(Wanderlust) - The smoke of Sacred Incense of Apollo twined through laurel branches, bay, and honey wine.

Banded Sea Snake
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Snake Oil with oakmoss, sea moss, and olive leaf.

Alecto
(Excolo) - Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

Tzadikim Nistarim
(Sin & Salvation) - The scent is one of unadulterated spiritual purity, with a taste of the world's eternal pathos, and the joy of suffering with grace: frankincense, olive, spikenard, hyssop and galangal.

I can say that Grandmother of Ghosts, Alecto, and Tzadikim Nistarim are definitely not what I'm looking for. I can't remember if I've tried Delphi or not, but honey and wine scents tend to be very sweet on me, and the fragrance I'm looking for is woody and dry - not at all sweet.

I haven't tried Banded Sea Snake yet... how strong is the Snake Oil in that blend compared to the other notes? Any other recommendations?

I tried the Olive Leaf line awhile ago, and I vaguely remember the scent. I would recommend Banded Sea Snake, I personally didn't find the Snake Oil to be too strong (which I would have preferred), it's really great one, and I find it very comforting too. Another one that comes to mind is Tabella, it has olive blossom (not leaf) but it's another great scent that is a little similar to Olive Leaf but not as herbal.

I would recommend Succor, from the Panacea line...on me at least, it's a strong bay laurel and olive oil scent, with something spicy backing it up. Maybe a bit of myrrh or something like that, or just a hint of cinnamon.

Thanks for the replies, all! I would not have thought of Tabella or Succor on my own; they're going on my wish list now. :)

I don't like Snake Oil (fresh or aged, it doesn't matter), but I've had good luck with a couple of Snake Pit blends, so I'll keep Banded Sea Snake in mind.

Thanks again!

Thanks to the kindness of a certain tartchef, I was able to try Tabella. After the topnotes burn off, the dry-down has a similar feel to what I'm looking for. Gracias!

I am trying to get a new co-worker / old friend into BPAL. Her favorite scent is Filigree by Thymes of London. She described it to me as "rich amber, juniper berry, warm cedarwood, and neroli combined with white willow."

I searched for the notes in the BPAL catalog and came up with these possibilities:

Death and Life Completed: Grey amber, carnation, lemon balm, hydrangea, Chinese peony, white sandalwood, cypress, juniper, cedar, hibiscus, and African daisy.

Orpheus: Pale musk, green mandarin, neroli, benzoin, citrus peel, blue lavender, narcissus, stephanotis, crushed green stems, willow branch and cedar.

Fascinum: Golden amber, golden musk, litsea cubeba, cedar, and saffron.

Aelopil: Glowing amber and citrus, labdanum, verbena, cedar, and oud.

Ogygia: Crisp sea air, kelp, and climbing vines, flame-singed cedarwood and juniper branches, cypress boughs, alder wood, violets, selino, parsley, glistritha, and white sage.

Has anyone tried Filigree & could comment on whether any BPAL would be a good replacement? Thanks so much for helping me create a new BPALer!

When I searched the site for laurel leaf and olive leaf, this is all I found...

You might try Laurel Honey as well; I bought it for the name ( ;) ) but on me it's mostly greenery and just a soft, not-too-sweet wild honey note.

Thymes fragrances are gorgeous. Fig Leaf & Cassis was my signature scent before I found BPAL. I think it's discontinued now though. Hmmm, I wonder if there's a BPAL like Fig Leaf & Cassis? The notes were fig leaf, cassis, mandarin, juniper berries and cypress, but it was so much better than any of that sounds! :lol:

Thymes fragrances are gorgeous. Fig Leaf & Cassis was my signature scent before I found BPAL. I think it's discontinued now though. Hmmm, I wonder if there's a BPAL like Fig Leaf & Cassis? The notes were fig leaf, cassis, mandarin, juniper berries and cypress, but it was so much better than any of that sounds! :lol:

I so agree! it was way better than it sounds re: the notes! :D

Thymes of London Fig Leaf and Cassis was my FAVORITE collection from them and holds sentimental value as DH bought it for me for our 2 year anniversary many, many moons ago. I miss it more than I can express. I was wondering if anyone had any luck findig a scent that was similar? Anything close? I loved this... I'm not expecting a miracle here, but as another fan of ToL mentioned, this lovely scent is disc. and it was gorgeous!!

Mimieux

Sign in to follow this