Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

I'm dying for a replacement for Hemlock Honey. (The Wild Honeysuckle is almost close, but it's not anywhere near as intense or boozy and I miss that summer-heat kind of feel.) Suggestions?

Have you tried O? I find the honey note similar in the drydown.

Anything similar to Saturnalia out there? The vetiver + violets works well for both me & my SO. So anything near a dupe would be appreciated.

Fallen sounds similar...maybe give that a try?

Edited by Herb Girl

Does anyone know of something that smells similar to Lear? Arcana does somewhat on me after a few hours of wear, but it doesn't work well on me at all until it hits that point.

I've just had a hankering for something oceany/salty but unfortunately the ones I would have chosen are discontinued or out of stock.

The feel I'm after is wind-blown tropical island, but salty rather than fruity.

Does anyone know of dupes for these ones?

Caliban = The scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns.

Windward Passage = Breezes blowing off the waters of the Caribbean, marine accord, seaweed and bladderwrack.

Calico Jack = Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices etc.

Does anyone know of something that smells similar to Lear? Arcana does somewhat on me after a few hours of wear, but it doesn't work well on me at all until it hits that point.

I would also like to know about this. It was one of my very favourites. :sad:

I even tried to make my own, since it seemed like such a simple combination.. But of course I have neither the ingredients nor the skill of BPAL, so it was kinda nice, but scarcely similar.

I've just had a hankering for something oceany/salty but unfortunately the ones I would have chosen are discontinued or out of stock.

Caliban = The scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns.

Windward Passage = Breezes blowing off the waters of the Caribbean, marine accord, seaweed and bladderwrack.

Calico Jack = Sea air, driftwood, waterlogged kelp, and the memory of plundered spices etc.

You might want to try Jolly Roger. Calico Jack and Jolly Roger are very close to my nose. Port Royal might also do the trick. The rum isn't too noticeable for me if that's something that might give you pause.

I'm not familiar with any of those scents, though Calico Jack is a high priority for me to try. But you might also consider trying Thalassa, Galapagos mermaid. Mine smells very salty, and the salt and marine notes are all that is apparent in it, while the other notes are either missing or fade into the background so much as to be unnoticable. As a caveat, however my bottle is one I bought recently off of Ebay and it is from the old Carnival Diablique release, not the current one, so it's possible the scent may have morphed drastically with age. I haven't had the opportunity to try the new Thalassa yet, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I love your username and avatar, btw. One of my cats is named Pyewacket, after the cat in that movie.

I would also like to know about this. It was one of my very favourites. :sad:

I even tried to make my own, since it seemed like such a simple combination.. But of course I have neither the ingredients nor the skill of BPAL, so it was kinda nice, but scarcely similar.

I admit, I've given some thought to trying the same thing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I didn't expect a homemade one to smell exactly the same, but I was hoping it would get pretty close. Edited by Feral Fae

Spikyfairy and Feral Fae, I don't know if this will help much since it's hard to get a hold of too, but King Haggard is a very nice dry cedar. Maybe the lab will bring it back once all the Beagle drama is over.

Thanks Feral Fae, I love the movie cat. I might have named one of my cats Pyewacket but they are tabbies so I guess it wouldn't suit :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have some Thalassa and I love it but it's more perfumey than what I'm looking for. Caliban was my favorite and I'm kicking myself I didn't get a bottle when it was still around. I might have to do a DISO and see if anyone is selling it.

You might want to try Jolly Roger. Calico Jack and Jolly Roger are very close to my nose. Port Royal might also do the trick. The rum isn't too noticeable for me if that's something that might give you pause.

Thanks :) I was a bit worried that Jolly Roger would be too rummy but if you didn't notice it too much I might get it if Calico Jack isn't back in stock soon.

Have you tried Pirate Moon? It and Anne Bonny are my favorite salty sea blends.

Have you tried Pirate Moon? It and Anne Bonny are my favorite salty sea blends.

I have Anne Bonny and I do love it. So far I haven't tried Pirate Moon but I'm guessing I would have to look in sales to find a bottle? It does sound good:

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

I've just ordered Aegir, He Who Soothes the Storm: languid lavender pacifying a tumultuous wave of salt water, guiac wood, and cedar. and hopefully it fulfills my salty-air needs but I'm always happy to collect more like that (finances permitting) ;)

It's happening. My much loved last bottle of The Hamptons is almost gone, and I need to find something similar. The original description is "the scent of a cosmopolitan cocktail" and it's very true. It's fruity, a little berry-toned, a little citrusy without getting too much so, and sparkly. I swear there is some pineapple in there somehow. Out of all of my blends it's one of the longest lasting and one of my most loved. Any thoughts?

It's happening. My much loved last bottle of The Hamptons is almost gone, and I need to find something similar. The original description is "the scent of a cosmopolitan cocktail" and it's very true. It's fruity, a little berry-toned, a little citrusy without getting too much so, and sparkly. I swear there is some pineapple in there somehow. Out of all of my blends it's one of the longest lasting and one of my most loved. Any thoughts?

Have you tried Swank? It's described as sparkling with pomegranate juice and gin. Or, Violent Gestisticulations from the Weenies Poe series last year: lots of pomegranate with a hint of juniper.

Hello everyone!

Can anyone recommend something reminiscent of Seraglio? I am pretty gutted that it has been discontinued, it is one of my favourites :( I love the blend of rose, neroli/orange blossom, spices, almond and wood - warm, sophisticated and sensual.

My other favourites are Kali (for summer, warm weather) and Wanda (year round).

I've been looking through the descriptions and am curious about Othello too. I think I'll order an imp to give it a try! Thanks ^_^

Does anyone know of an equivalent for White Rabbit? I’ve never gotten the chance to smell it, its been out of stock for the short amount of time I’ve been collecting bpal but I’m desperate to try it or something similar at least

Has Windward Passage been discontinued? It’s listed on the site as “out of stock” but it’s also got that “in memoriam” under the listing in its keywords. I really love it and I’ve emptied my bottle.

I just discovered Fallen was discontinued, and my heart is absolutely broken. I love that scent on me: it truly is regal desolation, the barren luminous throne. Any similar oils out there?

On 3/22/2021 at 10:40 AM, Hesper said:

I just discovered Fallen was discontinued, and my heart is absolutely broken. I love that scent on me: it truly is regal desolation, the barren luminous throne. Any similar oils out there?

I just discovered Fallen also and I LOVE it. Its so beautiful! Violet and Vetiver are usually not notes I even like but they work so well in Fallen and don't go weird at all on my skin. I don't know anything else that smells similar but now I'm more inclined to try more scents with violet. 

On 3/22/2021 at 10:40 AM, Hesper said:

@ziggystardust13

Are you familiar with Elizabeth Arden's "Red Door?" It came to my mind when I smelled Fallen, and has the same notes, along with a bunch of other stuff crammed in there.  Heady, floral, deep. I think Fallen is a little woodier and less sweet maybe? I'm guessing it shares some of those "imperial florals" as well.  Probably jasmine and lily, in the very least.  :) 

I can't think of a BPAL analogue of the top of my head.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden is a Amber Floral fragrance for women. Red Door was launched in 1989. The nose behind this fragrance is Carlos Benaim. Top notes are Rose, Orange Blossom, Plum, Violet, Peach and Anise; middle notes are Honey, Carnation, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Lily, Freesia, Lily-of-the-Valley and Orchid; base notes are Sandalwood, Amber, Benzoin, Musk, Heliotrope, Vetiver and Cedar.

Edited by VetchVesper