Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

Lady of Shalott smells extremely similar to Scorpio. It has a teeny tiny more floral in it, but otherwise, I can't tell the difference.

Got another one for you:

Haunted ~ French Creole.

Their wet stages are very similar. Haunted dries to a more resinous spice, but they both have the same type of tart, sweetness to them.

I think I like Haunted better, which is great because it's not discontinued!!!

Here's a couple more comparisons:

Has No Hanna (more soapy) - Eternal (no soap)

Red Mysore Sandalwood single note - Anne Bonny (of course, it has red sandalwood in it, but the two are damn near identical) :P

Megaera and Jester have a very similar juicy, fruity plum thing going- they're nearly dead ringers on my skin for much of the wearing phase.

A new one from me (cut and pasted from the Reviews forum):

The Hierophant is the bastard love-child of Hamadryad and The World.

Wet, I smell something strongly reminiscent of Hamadryad's woodsy cinnamon.

It dries down into The World's confusing but lovely cool-greenness-and-warm-spices combination (BTW, if you like the smell of Florida Water you should like this - it's a very similar scent) - it's pretty much a dead ringer on my skin, actually - BUT without turning into pencil shavings as The World does.

Hi guys.... till now Typhon and Czernobog are two of my favourites. Any idea of similar scent, specially like my beloved Typhon??? *help*

If anyone has recommendations for similar scents to either noir or despair, please tell me! I'll be watching this thread, but if you'd PM me as well, I'd love you forever and ever! (:

[edited becuase apparently this morning I cannot spell!]

Edited by dragynsidhe

(preface: I've read in the Eidolon reviews that there are two versions of the scent...an earlier one that is tinted like Snake Oil, and a paler version. This is regarding the paler version)

I've done some searches, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion of Eidolon. I got am imp of this last fall and am pretty heartbroken to find this scent discontinued. It was an incredibly soothing scent for me. (Evokes: Thing of power in an abandoned clearing, overgrown with green. Of immense importance but destined to be dormant for a few more ages. That feeling of reassurance and continuity).

I am pretty sad...my favorite BPAL scents are those that bring with them an Elysian place. Eidolon did this for me (as does the Hesperides, which I've ordered a 10ml of - will not make the same mistake twice :P )

Any suggestions for an Eidolon-like scent would be hugely appreciated.

Edited by Ardisian

I think the closest you're probably going to get is Shadow...although if I remember Eidolon was slightly lighter and saltier than Shadow. They're still similar, I think.

Otherwise you may want to try Cordelia, which also reminded me of Eidolon, except with a touch of floral. :P

If anyone has recommendations for similar scents to either noir or despair, please tell me! I'll be watching this thread, but if you'd PM me as well, I'd love you forever and ever! (:

[edited becuase apparently this morning I cannot spell!]

I haven't really found anything like Noir, but the following sort of have a similar *feel* to me, if that makes any sense!

Lilith, Megaera and Tushnamatay.

There were elements to Despair that I loved, but also something that gave me a feeling of decay. On me I found Nosferatu to be like the parts of Despair that I loved. Crossroads also put me in mind of Despair, but more towards the parts that I wasn't so keen on.

Edited by allamanda

I think Shadow actually would be a suitable substitute for Eidolon, albeit a bit darker with the patchouli addition. I just put a swatch of my imp of Eidolon on my wrist to give me a bit of a refresher as to what it smells like.

Along the lines of its citrus-dust scents, I would also try Phantasm, Succubus and Embalming Fluid. I would recommend other fragrances, like Yuki-Onna, Phobos and Hakkotsu, but they're discontinued as well (waaanh!). Libertine might also be a good substitute. I've tried it and liked it a ton. Arcana is nice, but has a bit of a lavender kick which might not suit you.

-doreen

I am finding that the dry down of Tarot: The Lovers is a lot like Red Moon.

Both have the same earthy, herbal, fruity notes.

Now that the Oblations are officially unavailable, has anyone found a similar scent for Cerberus? I tried Cerberus and found it to be my Holy Grail.

Anais

well, i'll have to try a few more scents to see exactly what dragon's blood does on my skin, but... if i run out of three witches before it gets reformulated (very likely), does anyone think wrath will be a good substitute? (wrath = dragons blood, black pepper, clove, cinnamon.) any other suggestions?

I'd say Wrath and Three Witches are pretty different.

The dragon's blood is really pronounced in Wrath and Three Witches is extremely spicy.

Personally I think The Heirophant is a decent replacement for Three Witches. They're not perfectly similar and it may be a skin chemistry thing, but they're close enough to get me through the interim. :P

I hate to start a thread for this alone, but I wasn't sure where else it would be appropriate, and I didn't find an similar thread, so here goes.

I fell in love with the imp of Antique Lace that was so kindly included in my last order. It is about half used up now, so I am starting to "jones." One thing I love about it so much is that it lasts ALL DAY on me, which is truly a rarity. But even more, I just enjoy the warm vanilla goodness that I find so comforting.

Is there anything even close to this? I am a sucker for vanilla scents and, sadly, I never got to try the vanilla single note.

I hear that a lot of people are sad that Antique Lace has gotten the axe. So, what would people recommend instead?

Regan smells really similar on me, both are floral vanilla blends, though Regan seems a little less warm and complex.

Might give it a try though if you haven't already.

I love Neo-Tokyo a lot. I also love Storm Moon. I noticed the other day that Neo-Tokyo is the lighter version of Storm Moon. Neo-Tokyo is the light spring shower, while Storm Moon is the spring storm.

Could someone help me regarding Severin and Shanghai? I love the good lemon smell of Severin. Several people have enthused about Shanghai, especially for summer. I love Severin, I wish it would last longer (I just bought a scent locket), can you compare Severin with Shanghai for me?

Is there anything else out there which has tea and lemon notes and lasts longer than dear old Severin? I would love you if you would tell me about it. Thanks.

Could someone help me regarding Severin and Shanghai? I love the good lemon smell of Severin. Several people have enthused about Shanghai, especially for summer. I love Severin, I wish it would last longer (I just bought a scent locket), can you compare Severin with Shanghai for me?

Is there anything else out there which has tea and lemon notes and lasts longer than dear old Severin? I would love you if you would tell me about it. Thanks.

Embalming Fluid seems to last forever on me, and it's pretty lemony.

I don't really think Severin and Shanghai are very much alike. Shanghai & Embalming Fluid are very similar, I think, though Shanghai is slightly more floral and doesn't last as long.

Does anyone have recommendations for something similar to Corazon?

I reminded my mom three times to order it before it was gone forever. She called me up tonight and asked me to order more. :P

She said that something just basically similar would be good; it doesn't have to be a perfect match.

Thanks!

I recentlly got Magician as a birthday gift and I love it so much. But I'm not sure what is in it so I can't find similar scents that I would like as much. To me it has a bit of a dark flora kind of scent with a bit of some kind of herb. I swear it's something that I use to smell in my grandma's kitchen, but I'm not sure what. Any help?

I'm also a big fan of green tea and honeysuckle and verbena kind of smells so if anyone has any recommendations for those I would love it.

Edited by Lissa