Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

With the demise of Hymn to Proserpine and my beloved Hermia, does anyone have any recommendations for fruity amber scents?
What about The Hanging Gardens? It doesn't list amber, but it seems in that family to me.
Also discontinued :(

Wow...I can't believe I missed or forgot this one! Sorry for the outdated rec, and now I'm sad...

With the demise of Hymn to Proserpine and my beloved Hermia, does anyone have any recommendations for fruity amber scents?

I'm a bit late here, but I felt like Tamora (Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean)was a fantastic scent in that vein. You might also try Katharina (white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom), despite the lack of amber. I had to get rid of my Tamora when amber started going powdery on my skin, and found Katharina to be a pleasing substitute.

Has anyone found anything even vaguely like March Hare? I'm almost out.

Gwydion - have you tried Grand Guignol? It has the same syrupy apricot flavour, and although I don't think it has clove as such there is a tone to it that's kinda dark/spicy/clovey-ish - there's a touch of booziness that I don't get from March Hare, but if it's the dark apricot you like in MH then GG would be worth a try :smile:

Has anyone found anything even vaguely like March Hare? I'm almost out.

Gwydion - have you tried Grand Guignol? It has the same syrupy apricot flavour, and although I don't think it has clove as such there is a tone to it that's kinda dark/spicy/clovey-ish - there's a touch of booziness that I don't get from March Hare, but if it's the dark apricot you like in MH then GG would be worth a try :smile:

I thought it was interesting, but it didn't quite work with my skin chemistry

What about The Hanging Gardens? It doesn't list amber, but it seems in that family to me.

Also discontinued :(

AUGH. Not Hanging Gardens! I love that so much. I've just gotten back into BPAL after an absence of years, and am missing a lot of old favourites!

My mom is obsessed with Antique Lace and is absolutely heartbroken that it has been discontinued.

However I tried Celeste (Courtesans) last night and it seems pretty similar. I'm personally not a fan of Antique Lace, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Anyone find anything else similar to Antique Lace?

I returned from the dead to find that my beloved Eos was discontinued while I was becoming a zombie. (Rising from the dead just isn't what it used to be.)

Does anyone have any ideas at all for this one? I can't even find anything else with buttercup. :(

I'm so sad that Black Opal is all gone! :cry2: And one of the reasons I loved it was because, to me, it smelled exactly like Shalimar. Is there anything else you can suggest that's similar to Black Opal? (besides Shalimar, that is, ha ha!)

I'm so sad that Black Opal is all gone! :cry2: And one of the reasons I loved it was because, to me, it smelled exactly like Shalimar. Is there anything else you can suggest that's similar to Black Opal? (besides Shalimar, that is, ha ha!)

Black Opal is my favorite and I lament it daily!

I find Haunted to be in the same vein as both Black Opal and Shalimar (though I can't really wear Shalimar as it's crazy strong to me, and neither BPAL is.) Morocco is a bit similar in feel to me, too, though without the distinct vanilla note. I've been told that tonka is the note in Black Opal that I love so much, and though it didn't work on me, Rum-Soaked French Tonka might be worth trying out - not sure if it's still lab-available but it was so recent that you shouldn't have much trouble tracking some down.

Black Opal is my favorite and I lament it daily!

I find Haunted to be in the same vein as both Black Opal and Shalimar (though I can't really wear Shalimar as it's crazy strong to me, and neither BPAL is.) Morocco is a bit similar in feel to me, too, though without the distinct vanilla note. I've been told that tonka is the note in Black Opal that I love so much, and though it didn't work on me, Rum-Soaked French Tonka might be worth trying out - not sure if it's still lab-available but it was so recent that you shouldn't have much trouble tracking some down.

Yaay! Thank you - I'll give those a try. I'm getting ready to place an order to a) restock up on "Alice", and b ) to order a full size of whichever one of my current set of six "chocolate/cocoa" imps strikes my fancy (so far, "Bliss" is the clear front-runner - I still have "Velvet" and "Vice" to try out from that set). So when I order Alice and whichever one of the chocolate imps I love the best, I'll order those as well. Thanks!

Edited by lisalovesbpal

Anyone know of anything comparable to Shadow Witch Orchid? I happened to find an imp of it, husband commented he liked it, and I made the sad face and said it was discontinued. He then made the sad face. And now we are a house of sad faces! :lol:

Any recommendations for replacing Midnight? I am almost out and i haven't loved a scent as much as that one. :cry2:

Looking for a recommendation for my beloved Fox Woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child. It was a Salon. I love the heady quality of the star jasmine and the wisteria but also the lightness of the tea and cherry blossom. Does anyone know of a similar scent?

I posted this in the last thread but it may be more appropriate here! Ripe juicy fruits with a woody floral background. I've never smelled any eucalyptus or mint in this blend.

J-Horror: stargazer lily, white sandalwood, chrysanthemum, and shincha, with white mint, eucalyptus, licorice bark, and blood orange.

Im amongst those who mourn the loss of shadow witch orchid, I have found that on my skin luna noir is a little bit similar, and another scent that I am mourning the loss of is blood countess. nuit is also another one I'm missing. Actually if you go through my list of beloved fragrances it seems as though have have been discontinued. I know there is something like black orchid? In rappicini's garden and I wonder if it is anything like the shadow orchid was.

...and the only cure is more...

The Macabray :cry2:

And it doesn't look like I am going to be getting a bottle of that anytime soon.

Would any of you lovely people be willing to recommend a similar scent that is still in existence? I would be grateful!

Have you tried reading through the reviews for the Macabray? It might just depress you, but a lot of the time people will review perfumes against each other like..

AngelicRuin compared it to Snow White: http://www.bpal.org/topic/51369-the-macabray/page__view__findpost__p__1312198

or inurbanus comparing it to Cloister Graveyard in the Snow: http://www.bpal.org/topic/51369-the-macabray/page__view__findpost__p__1329715

I'm sure there are a ton more.

I have. The challenge I am having is finding something that is not discontinued.

You could also try buying from the sales pages here on the forum. I know I just saw Cloister Graveyard... for sale here, and since Snow White has been released many different years, it shows up on sales pages somewhat often. I have never smelled the perfume you are looking for so don't know if those two are actually similar to it, but if you want to try them (or most likely other perfumes mentioned in reviews as being similar) you should be able to purchase them here on the forum. :)

So, I'd taken a break from BPAL for a couple of years, and when I came back... there was no more Casanova! I'm still going to hunt around for a bottle of it, but in the meantime, does anyone have similar scents in mind? Dee and Golden Priapus are both manly and warm, but not quite the same.

I am fairly new to BPAL, having just a handful of imps and one bottle. I was just about to place an order for Gluttony and found that it has been discontinued! Can anyone recommend a similar scent as a replacement?

Thanks!

You know what, there are people on the forum selling Gluttony right now. :D

Here's someone with a 70% full bottle: http://www.bpal.org/topic/81989-mostly-bpal-bottleslegc-for-sale-nothing-over-20/page__p__2357540__hl__gluttony__fromsearch__1#entry2357540

This person's selling an imp if you want to test it first: http://www.bpal.org/topic/74301-the-purge-continues-sale-or-swap/page__p__2007355__hl__gluttony__fromsearch__1#entry2007355

As for a recommendation for something easier to come by, perhaps Hellcat is worth a shot? A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond. It's not quite the same but there are some similar notes. It's in the Diabolus section of the general catalogue.