Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

(chais - ah, sorry - I thought you were just looking for alternates in general, of which Volt could be just one - sorry! Hope someone who has tried Volt can chime in! :) )

So, The Unicorn.. sigh

I was holding off getting a bottle because while I love the scent, it didn't love my skin, and the linden flower and all the other light floral scents just disappeared within half an hour on my skin, but made into a room spritz or in an oil burner.. it was :wub2:

Anyone have anything similar to it? Maybe I'll find something that actually stays as a scent on my skin :P

I'm in the same boat :/

I was also saving up for a bottle of The Unicorn. So sad.

I really loved the scent.

So can anyone offer any reccomendations for what might be a good substitute?

So, I've been out of pocket as far as BPAL goes, and I came back to order some Tanin'iver for a friend as a baby-shower gift... only to discover it's been discontinued! :cry2: Any thoughts on a non-LE that might be similar? I know I have imps of a lot of the Dragons, though I don't think I have all of them.

HALP!

Sniffed Saint Germain and Xiuhtecuhtli side by side this morning and Xiuhtecuhtli is a sweeter, brasher sister to Saint Germain's dry elegance.

For those who miss Tempest, I found it to be identical to Lightning. I honestly could not tell them apart both sniffed and on my skin.

Could anyone suggest the closest scent to Gluttony? I adore the heavy, sweet foodiness of it! :cry2:

Hellcat is pretty close to my nose. :)

I come in search of enabling assistance.

My sister has fallen in love with Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues. I'm sure we all know happened to that scent today. :(

Unfortunately, she hasn't had spare cash, so she didn't get a bottle. So, I'd love to hear if anyone has recommendations (GC would be awesome!) for similar scents. She really likes the fresh scents with some berry to them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

So, I've been out of pocket as far as BPAL goes, and I came back to order some Tanin'iver for a friend as a baby-shower gift... only to discover it's been discontinued! :cry2: Any thoughts on a non-LE that might be similar? I know I have imps of a lot of the Dragons, though I don't think I have all of them.

HALP!

On me, Blood is very similar! (Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.) I have most of the other Dragons, and none have the same level of spice as Tanin'iver, but Blood fits the bill quite well for me. I will try them side to side this weekend and see what I find, for other folks to confirm. :)

Sorry this is such a late reply....

There was some discussion about this awhile back, but are there any more recommendations to replace De Sade? I think I've tried most of the impable options in that neighborhood,I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Captain Cully and Violens. I tend to like the rather masculine scents (on account of me being a masculine person, well, to some degree) Fenris, Bluebeard, Tezcat, Velvet Dogs, and Dead Man's Hand are probably my favorite scents aside from De Sade.

In terms of notes I like tobacco, leather, coffee, vetiver, chocolate, and anything boozy. De Sade is a very dark and heavy smelling leather, which is what I'm really missing, the clean suede notes are nice, but they lack the punch that De Sade had.

Have you given Iago a try? Or Black Rider? Those, to me, are both heavy-hitting leather blends.

Iago isn't quite bold enough for my tastes, at least not on me. Black Rider seems like it might do the trick though, if the sweetness doesn't turn me off. Thanks.

There was some discussion about this awhile back, but are there any more recommendations to replace De Sade? I think I've tried most of the impable options in that neighborhood,I was thinking about picking up a bottle of Captain Cully and Violens. I tend to like the rather masculine scents (on account of me being a masculine person, well, to some degree) Fenris, Bluebeard, Tezcat, Velvet Dogs, and Dead Man's Hand are probably my favorite scents aside from De Sade.

In terms of notes I like tobacco, leather, coffee, vetiver, chocolate, and anything boozy. De Sade is a very dark and heavy smelling leather, which is what I'm really missing, the clean suede notes are nice, but they lack the punch that De Sade had.

Captain Cully is very leathery. I haven't smelled De Sade, so I can't tell you how it compares, unfortunately. As far as leather, did you try the Red Rider? I found that to be more leathery than The Black Rider, which has more of a resinous feel to it.

Captain Cully is very leathery.

Wow, I actually don't get much leather from Captain Cully. The main player is the porter, then the musk, then the leather. The only point where the leather is even remotely strong is when it's wet on my skin. Funny how different noses read scents differently. :D

Silk Road anyone? I have one imp that came to me, it is My Precious...

This might help -- I tried Silk Road quite a while ago and liked it, and explicitly noted in my reviews that it reminded me a bit of No. 93 Engine. I ended up deathmatching them and liking Engine better. :)

Silk Road anyone? I have one imp that came to me, it is My Precious...

If you don't mind layering you could try Plunder layered with Dirty. Port Royal is a more intense, longer lasting/higher throw version of Silk Road on my skin.

Ooh I am going to try your suggestion paperrose, I love to layer.

astarinel, I think I have a no. 93 engine imp in my Giant Stash o' imps. I am going to dig that one out right now.

OK, now, I have a new one. What do you folks feel is most similar to Red Lace?

La Belle Dame Sans Merci?

I meant to try it, but alas - I couldn't save the money in time and now it's bitten the dust.

Just a few days ago I saw at least one imp available in the Sales area; I bet if you check the swaps and sales, you'll find something soon enough. It may not be a 5 ML, but still better than nothing! :)

Could anyone suggest the closest scent to Gluttony? I adore the heavy, sweet foodiness of it! :cry2:

I just noticed this.

Someone suggested Hellcat, which is worth a try -- although for me, personally, I haaaaaaated Hellcat and loved Gluttony.

You should DEFINITELY get a bottle of The Confectionary when the next act of CD comes out! I've tried the prototype and it's the closest thing to Gluttony. I actually like it better. (If you've ever been to River or Market St sweets in Savannah or Charleston, the Confectionary smells exactly like those shops.)

Could someone recommend something similar to Shadow Witch Orchid? Bottles of it don't seem to pop up in the sales threads that often (at least *I* haven't seen it) and I absolutely ADORE it. Thanks! :3

Sad to see this one go... does anyone have any suggestions on something similar? I've got no ideas. Help! LOL