Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

Thanks, guys! :D The East alarms me a bit with its freesia, but I think I would try it as it does sound like it could have a similar "feel." I have a decant of Enchanted Wood Florist around here somewhere, and I remember being lukewarm about it, but I'll give it another test. Under the Harvest Moon actually sounds the most promising, so I'll have to hunt some down!

I've heard that E Pluribus Unum and Flower Moon (not sure which year) are in the same family as Fairy Market. I've never tried any of them, though ( :cry2: ), so I can't say for sure!

Also, for anyone missing Jester: I found Rosy Maple to be very similar. I find Jester to be much juicier and red, though, whereas Rosy Maple is more hot pink and tart.

And re: March Hare. I find Grand Guignol to be a boozier March Hare. They both have the dirty apricot feel for me. It does lacks the great spice of March Hare, but maybe you could layer it with something?

Edited by plainjean

I think that E Pluribus Unum is one of the overstock scents that the Lab has in its etsy shop right now, if anyone is currently seeking it.

I wish I had some March Hare suggestions - I tend to really amp clove, and apricot is pretty much a doom note for me. I love that scent in theory and if there was an abundant endless supply, I'd love it as a room scent but that's blasphemy now!

For some reason, March Hare, Tamora and Fae have always been part of a triumvirate for me (which is why I was so sad March Hare got d/c'd). They're all slightly peachy/apricot-y, but neither of the other two have as much spice as March Hare, I guess.

You know, my go to scent after Queen Mab was DCed was... Phantom Queen. Now that's been DCed, I dunno what to do. :cry2: They both had a similar vibe to me. Any suggestions out there?

Although there aren't any specific notes listed, I think Block Buster smells like a less sweet, more subtle version of March Hare.

You know, my go to scent after Queen Mab was DCed was... Phantom Queen. Now that's been DCed, I dunno what to do. :cry2: They both had a similar vibe to me. Any suggestions out there?

I can now answer my own question. Zephyr reminds me a LOT of Queen Mab. I'm fairly certain they share at least two or three notes with each other. But now I am fearful of Zephyr getting the boot. :lol:

I'm a relative newbie to BPAL (just sent off my second order) but the first scent I fell in love with was Gluttony and I'm looking for something to replace it now that it's been discontinued.

I'm a relative newbie to BPAL (just sent off my second order) but the first scent I fell in love with was Gluttony and I'm looking for something to replace it now that it's been discontinued.

Not a specific scent recommendation, but Lupercalia is coming soon, and there is a history of sweet, chocolate-centric scents being released, so something in the next update may just do it for you. For example, year before last they had one called "Dark Chocolate and Pepper-Smoked Caramel". ;)

Other than that, maybe Anne Beany? (Forum Only, discontinued, you'd have to find it in the Sales or Swaps forum.) I haven't actually tried it, but it sounds very sweet and somewhat similar. The notes are: Rum cheesecake with a hardtack crust, topped with rum ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch topping.

IMO there's nothing that's exactly like Gluttony but I think there are blends in the "if you like Gluttony, you'll like..." vein. I'd look for blends that have caramel, butterscotch, & hazelnut notes because that's how Gluttony worked on my skin (if you get something vastly different, let us know!) Some suggestions that are readily available : Agrat-Bat-Mahlat, Tiresias, Kill-Devil, Grog, Hellcat.

I've always found Hollywood Babylon similar to Gluttony.

Hmm.. you may be able to mix a couple to get the same effect. Bliss is pure milk chocolate. Miskatonic U is very strong and gives me a similarly overpowering effect as gluttony. Bliss + Misk U..hmm that could work. Or bliss + hellcat might work too! Best of luck!

Hellcat is similar to Gluttony to my nose (both make me absolutely sick, TBH, because of the insane sweetness and richness), so I agree that layering Bliss with Hellcat could be a good way to get a fairly similar scent. :)

Hellcat is similar to Gluttony to my nose (both make me absolutely sick, TBH, because of the insane sweetness and richness), so I agree that layering Bliss with Hellcat could be a good way to get a fairly similar scent. :)

I love (and have bottles of) both Hellcat and Gluttony, and I will agree that they have some similarities. Hellcat is more boozy-honey, and Gluttony is more sugary-praline-nuttiness, but they both have that bloated, almost unwholesome sweetness to them that some people (like Penance) hate and I love. Misk U is in the same category, although I think that smells more like caramel corn than a hushed library ;)

Edited by CaptainEcchi

Ile de la Tortue: My wife's favorite, predictably no longer available. I'd really appreciate any advice on potential replacements.

Thanks!

Ile de la Tortue: My wife's favorite, predictably no longer available. I'd really appreciate any advice on potential replacements.

Thanks!

Most of the lovely orchid scents have sadly been discontinued. You might want to try some of the other tropical floral type blends - Pele, Santo Domingo, Machu Picchu, Manila...

High Priest Not To Be Described. One of my husband's favorites. He is going to be so heartbroken when I tell him. Ironically, the one thing I remember smelling similar to it is... Loviatar. And now they're both gone.

High Priest Not To Be Described. One of my husband's favorites. He is going to be so heartbroken when I tell him. Ironically, the one thing I remember smelling similar to it is... Loviatar. And now they're both gone.

perhaps try Clockwork Couture: Male? It's not as spicy, but smoother and subtler to my nose. Overall awesome for either sex, IMO :)

and is it just me, or is the steamworks line dropping like flies? :(

Cottonmouth =( Ive been waiting to order a bottle of this because a friend of mine was going to do a Snake Pit order =( =( This and Coral were the only two I wanted still

Now that my beloved Macabray is gone I'll be stocking up on Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. Not the same... but it's the next best thing.

When looking up reviews of past year's Valentine of Rome to see if I needed some from the new batch, I saw a few people comparing it to The High Priest Not to be Described.

The High Priest Not to be Described: Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

Valentine of Rome: Ecclesiastical incense, Roman flora, and the fruits of martyrdom: cypress, olive blossom, frankincense, myrrh, and blood accord.

When looking up reviews of past year's Valentine of Rome to see if I needed some from the new batch, I saw a few people comparing it to The High Priest Not to be Described.

The High Priest Not to be Described: Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

Valentine of Rome: Ecclesiastical incense, Roman flora, and the fruits of martyrdom: cypress, olive blossom, frankincense, myrrh, and blood accord.

Wow, there do seem to be a lot of similarities there. I hadn't planned on trying VofR (I worry about that blood accord... can't handle dragon's blood, if that's what's involved), but maybe I should add a decant to my list.

When I told my husband this morning, he wasn't too heartbroken. "Now, if it were Brimstone... then I'd be really disappointed," sez he.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

So, The Unicorn.. sigh

I was holding off getting a bottle because while I love the scent, it didn't love my skin, and the linden flower and all the other light floral scents just disappeared within half an hour on my skin, but made into a room spritz or in an oil burner.. it was :wub2:

Anyone have anything similar to it? Maybe I'll find something that actually stays as a scent on my skin :P

So I was all excited to buy The Coil based on its description when BAM. Discontinued. After a few weeks of mourning I went ahead and bought Ultraviolet because it sounded similar. I have fallen in love with Ultraviolet, so now I'm wondering how similar it actually is to The Coil. Is it worth still looking for a bottle?

Edited by dicyfer

Hi there! I haven't tried either (quite bummed about the loss of Ether, myself!) but here are the scent notes:

Ether - Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana.

Ultraviolet - Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

The notes look substantially different, especially since Ether has white resins and Ultraviolet has mint and neroli. So I don't think they are anything alike in scent. You can also check out the Reviews for each to see what people's impressions are, and compare whether they are anything alike. But it seems like not!

I hope this helps!