Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

For anyone who missed out on Ingenue, try Nocturne. They have the same feel.

Edit to note that this is when Nocturne is on wet. On drydown, Nocturne is darker.

Edited by cinderfallen

:woohoo: I dug out an aged bottle of The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn (over a year old), and with time, it has mellowed into a scent very, very similar to my beloved Khephra. Stockpile time!

Keep in mind that my skin chemistry is very, very odd. On me, Oisin with a little bit of Hod (the older the better) is a fairly close match to Unseelie.

Just wanted to add, for those who might be sad that Loviatar is going away, that I find The High Priest Not to Be Described to be very similar.

I also find Azathoth and The Music of Erich Zahn to be similar, although Azathoth is a... grittier scent? I think it's the vetiver...

I'm having a discontinued dilemma,hoping someone could help. I had dropped out of the Bpal loop for 3 years (made my first order since then last week).Anyhow, I was sifting through my many aged imps and fell madly in love with Dissapation. I was bummed when i found out that it had been long discontinued since my last affair with bpal. Any one have any suggestions?

So, I put off ordering a bottle of Yvaine... for years. And now it's been discontinued! GAH.

Anyone have any recommendations for *similar* scents? They don't have to be dupes~ Just scents that remind you of Yvaine... so I can order those instead and cry over Yvaine while sniffing them. :cry2:

I've heard Moon Rose and the Unicorn... what else?

(I was also SO heartbroken over Lady on the Grey, Queen Mab, and the Mock Turtle.... so recommendations or commiserating comments of "I feel your pain!!" on any discons are totally totally welcome).

This might be completely off, but if you like rose, maybe try Psyche. It has lavender and Chinese white musk and orchid. It also has frankincense and sweet Bulgarian rose and is quite a bit sweeter and more incensey and less elegant-soft-fine as Yvaine, so I'm not sure it would work. But parts of the scent strike me as slightly similar.

The scent that seemed the most similar in feel was Bat-Woman, which I think has also been discontinued.

Have you tried Utrennyaya? It has mint instead of lavender to evoke a cool night-time feeling for me.

You might want to try the new Marchen scent, Moonshine and Mist. It has the same magnolia, to my nose, and although it doesn't list white musk in Yvaine, I always smell it - and that is in M&M as well. I wore a spot of Yvaine this morning (in memorium) and tested M&M against it this afternoon...not identical twin, but maybe a sister.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I use Yvaine or TKO for a bedtime scent because of their lavender notes. TKO has vanilla, but it is very lavender as well.

Misericordia from the Vampires Don't Sleep Alone line has the same lavender and magnolia as far as I could tell, and smelled really similar to Yvaine in the bottle. The lavender didn't last as long as I would have liked, and the other notes give it kind of a smokiness, but it was a similar enough scent that I decided I didn't need it as long as I had Yvaine. I'd give it a try!

I opened my imp of Quicksilver Phoenix today and was instantly reminded of Yvaine! I'm not sure what notes exactly are similar - I don't have the notes for either in front of me - but wanted to pass that along as a possible balm. :)

Queen Mab was one of my favorite BPALs and since it's been discontinued, I'm hoping someone could point me to some BPALs that are similar. I remember trying Phantom Queen and it had a very similar vibe. Queen Mab always makes me think of light green and gold when I wear it. It's warm, sweet, floral. Phantom Queen makes me think of shades of purple, but it still sort of had a similar "warm" floral feel to it, I think.

Any other suggestions?

I've not tried it, but in this thread it gets compared to a few others, like Zephyr, Regan, Megaera, and Kitsune-Tsuki.

It was also compared to a couple LE's in this thread.

Edited by raisin

Thanks for the great suggestions! Actually, Zephyr, Regan, and Megaera are on my "lists of scents to try" but I'm definitely gonna bump them up to the top now. Although, I remember trying Kitsune-Tsuki and it didn't strike me as being all that similar to Queen Mab. :lol: Oh, in fact I did review Kitsune-Tsuki! I remember it now, it was very sweet.

This will sound strange and it's been a long time since i've used Queen Mab - but Ragan always struck me as a similiar feeling oil....not the smell, but the feel....

I thought maybe Seraphim had some similarity, but I haven't sniffed it in a long while so... um... nobody quote me on this!

Well, I checked the review on that one and someone else agrees with you. :lol: Time to add it to my list!

We've always included discontinueds in the general BPAL to BPAL similarities thread in the past - but I think that the list has gotten long enough that a separate thread would be more useful for everyone.

Please feel free to start adding your observations or requests to this thread - I will start going through the general thread and moving posts over here bit by bit, just wanted everyone to get used to seeing this title and have a chance to read this post before I start moving posts with earlier dates into the thread.

Also, please keep in mind the guideline for this subforum that we keep it to BPAL recommendations - Retail Therapy is the area for discussing other companies.

I'll start this party (or funeral, rather) by asking for some Fairy Marketish and Yvainesque recommendations. Thoughts?

I'll start this party (or funeral, rather) by asking for some Fairy Marketish and Yvainesque recommendations. Thoughts?

I always thought that The East (also from Stardust) is kind of a bridge between the two. It has the "blue" feel of Yvaine, with more floral brightness like FM. It's not a replacement for either by any means, but it has a similar spirit.

Under the Harvest Moon (LE) is, to my nose, a very distant cousin of Yvaine. They both have a similar cool-lavender feeling to them.

I found the the LE Enchanted Wood Florist to be quite reminiscent of Fairy Market, and I know I'm not the only one who got that association. However, it does not have the creamy vanilla "candy" part, and, this might not be helpful at all, but it smells pale green or even pale yellow to me, as opposed to the pale blue feeling I got from Fairy Market.

Anyway... does anyone have some recs for scents that feel similar to March Hare? I know that Depraved and Katharina have similar apricot notes, but they have a very different feeling. I find the former quite dirty and dry, and the latter quite fresh, delicate, and clean. Manners Among Men and Women is also very apricot, but its much more... austere and refined than March Hare. So, I'm asking for recs of scents that really just "feel" similar to March Hare... spice aspect welcome but optional, and it doesn't have to be apricot-based, it just needs to be sort of jam-like in its fruitiness. :P