Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

Depraved was the first thing that came to my mind before I even scrolled down to read the replies, so consider this another nomination for it. It was my first BPAL oil ever, bought scent unsniffed, and I still love it.

Imp is a lighter version of Depraved, with peach instead of apricot and some amber and white musk. Fruity, yet spicy.

Ravenous isn't fruity in a sickly sweet way. It's patchouli and orange blossom. The orange blossom gives it a sweeter, fruitier quality, but it's more like a an orange peel with the pith kind of fruit.

Masquerade starts a bit smoky, stays pretty incensey, and then gets a touch of sweetness from the orange blossom (though it's more of an orange peel sweetness than outright fruitiness).

The Hesperides has a very woodsy (as in oak trees after a spring rain, not the smoky, bonfire kind of woodsy), apple orchardy feel that's not overtly sweet, but smells more like you just bit into a crisp Fuji apple.

Wanda isn't really fruity, but has a fruity, wine quality to it that it cut into by leather. There's also a touch of floral. I tend to layer this one with Loviatar if I want more leather. Not sure if this one would be good for you, but I had to mention it, particularly layered with Loviatar.

I was so sad to see this go, but Alice has been bumped up, it's not as mysterious and I;m looking for something a little darker...

what did you all do

I know it's a bit early, as my 10 ml. isn't here yet and I'm sure it'll take me a while to get through it, but I was wondering if anyone felt one of the other oils was close. I'm looking specifically at The Empress tarot oil and wondering...

Hi Azrhiaz, I find Delerium to be quite similar to Silentium Amoris. They both have a rosy-fresh-almost lemony quality, the only difference to my nose being a bit more body in Delerium. (For some reason I detect no apple in it.) Hope this helps!

Is there anything that's similar to Tarot: the Star? I have ordered an imp, but have not received it yet.

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and order a 10 mL of it.

Well, you go to the car dealership when you want incentive to buy a car, and you come here when you want incentive to buy perfume!

You don't think we'd suggest against getting more, do you? :P

the Star is popular enough that if you turn out, for some reason, not to like it, you'll have no trouble swapping. I haven't yet found anything that really smells similar to it, though.

Perversion smells VERY similar to Tarot: The Star. On ME, anyway! Must be the coconut.

I thought I was in love with Queen Mab but I've noticed that the more I apply, the stronger the "green" notes in it stand out. I love Queen Mab for the florals, which feel like a purplish-red color to me. I've started picking up the grassy smell that some noted in their reviews, and it almost kills it for me. (I hate green scents!)

Here is what's listed in Queen Mab: black orchid, sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, osmanthus, Somalian rose, and Chinese musk.

I've tried just about every orchid scent that BPAL has to offer, and Queen Mab is the only one I've really loved.

I'd like suggestions for a scent that captures the oriental florals of Queen Mab but doesn't tickle my nose with green. If you don't have a suggestion for a scent, maybe you could recommend something to layer with to enhance the florals and mask the green?

Have you tried Old Venice, tart? That seems like a very purpley-red/rich floral to me. Or maybe Kitsune-Tsuki. I think they are similar actually.

I haven't tried Venice yet. I try to stay away from blends with violet in them, but that one does sound pretty. I'm going to put Kitsune-Tsuki back on my wishlist. The only plum scent I've tried is Darkswan's Mandarin Plum, so maybe that one wouldn't be too bad.

I'm trying to figure out what the green thing in Queen Mab is. Maybe osmanthus (common names: tea olive, sweet olive). I read that the blossoms are apricot scented, but it could be more of the plant smell than blossom smell that I'm getting.

Or it might be the Chinese musk. I had issues with Psyche which shares Chinese musk and orchid in common with Queen Mab.

Let's face it, I'm trying to pin the blame on which note messed up Queen Mab for me. :P

I keep forgetting we have to drop the "Old" now!

You know, it might not be any single note in Queen Mab, but a combination of notes. For example, I adore the smell of Queen Mab in the bottle...I think it's sweet and gorgeous. But on me it smells like curry, almost immediately. I know there's no curry in there, but it just happens. I think it's the combination of orchid and sandalwood that does it to me.

Curry! :P That's okay, Magdalene smells like Chinese takeout on me, which is sad because I know it's really beautiful on other people.

I started off with an imp of Queen Mab from quantum spice, and I liked it because it was really sweet and sexy on me. Then I got a 10ml with a reduer cap, and it lets out way too much. What seems to happen is that in small doses, Queen Mab retains its sweetness. From my new bottle however, Queen Mab is greener either because the blend is a bit different or because a larger quantity allows the green to come out stronger.

As they both share a coconut note, I think that Black Pearl might smell very similar to Tarot: The Star. It's worth checking out!

To my nose, osmanthus wouldn't be the green note in Queen Mab. Osmanthus dominates Ouija to me and its predominant note is one that is much more subtle in Queen Mab.

Osmanthus (I had to look it up because I love Queen Mab) is Tea Olive. It shouldn't (?) be a green note.

I've got a big bottle on order too--I'm wondering if this is one of those that is best as the scent ages or blends?

The Queen Mab I have in imps is a rich, creamy, luscious floral. I don't generally do florals, but the Queen is *good*

Notice how I even describe florals in food terms?? *sigh*

I would love Queen Mab were it not for the fact it disappears in under two hours on my skin. Wah, Queen Mab doesn't last long on my skin, wah!

Anyway, have you tried Phantom Queen? It reminds me a lot of Queen Mab. I don't pick out any "green" notes in it. At least, none come out on my skin. I have to admit, I do think I like Queen Mab better, though. Still, it's an option, if you haven't explored it already. :P

Edited by riddel

I just got Phanton Queen and I find it to be more herbal that Queen Mab. Perhaps Queen Mab does age, though, because I got my first taste of it from quantum spice. Hmm...

I think diabolique got into the absinthe again.

Tart, maybe Medea? On me it dries to be quite wine-y, but... <shrug>

I'll let you know how Queen of Diamonds goes, too.

As someone's who has tried most of the BPAL oils, I must say that there is nothing quite like the Star. It is truly unique and very popular. Black Pearl is slightly reminiscent of it, but I like the Star better.