Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

i've just fallen under the spell of morella - and it took me by surprise since it's not something i'd normally go for (thanks beth for knowing better than i!) so now i'm wondering what else there is out there that i've been missing out on. anyone have any suggestions?

I also love Morella, but I don't think there is anything else quite like it. I rec'd it as a freebie from Beth and would have never ordered it cuz I don't like iris on it's own and I didn't know what sage smelled like. I LOVE Morella. It is, however, sorry to say ............very unique. You might try some of the other unique florals with fruity or incensy undertones. Although they are not really like Morella,you may like the uniqueness of them. A few that come to mind are Psyche, Seraphim, Hymn, Juliet, Endymoin and Queen of Hearts....oh and I forgot, Morella has orris in it which I really think stands out when wearing (at least on me), so you may want to try Veil which I would say is similar in that it also has orris in it.

Let me know what you decide. I own and love all of the ones listed above and they are perfect for the warmer weather. Psyche is especially unique with the lavender, frankincense combo.

I got Morella as a freebie, too. I don't love it, but I think that if you do, you'll really, really like Veil. You should try it.

March Hare and Depraved are very similar to me: but it's a type of scent that I strongly like therefore I enjoy both :P

It's funny how we all have different opinions about these pairings!  And so interesting to me; I think if there is a note you really like or don't like, you tend to think scents that share that note are more alike than someone who doesn't have a strong feeling about that note would.

I think Ms. MSgirl hit it right on the head. For example, I find Phantom Queen and Queen Mab to be very similar, Queen Mab being warmer and Phantom Queen more suitable for Summer. I've decided that it must be the Black Orchid listed for both scents that make me think they are so similar.

I also found a striking similarity between Veil and Twilight.

Hi. Ohh, I hope I am in the section, I am very new to this site and to Bpal. I recently got an Imp of De Sade and absolutely love it. Are there any other oils that are similar. I also love the Body Shops Mostly Musk. I tend to go for that heavy, earthy smell so would be really grateful if anyone can recommend oils to try in my next Imp order. I have tried Gluttony and hated it so wouldnt like anything similar. Any help appreciated, there is so much to chose and I can feel and addiction coming on. Already hooked on Lush so my bank balance is going to take a battering.

Other things similar to DeSade (to my mind, at least): Loviator, Severin, Hellfire

Other heavy, non-foody things: Aureus, Haunted

There's a ton. Hope that helps!

I loved the soft wood in Hamadryad. Not too strong or overpowering -just gentle and earthy. Are there any other oils with similar qualities? maybe Ulalume?

Thanks!

I love Hamadryad too. Whilst it isn't the same, Hemlock made me feel the same way, if that makes any sense!! Anyway, they are both gorgeous. Dragon's Bone is also slightly woody and very special.

I love Ulalume. It's a woodsy floral for people who don't like florals.

I think your guess about Ulalume is genuine. It's a soft woodsy scent that isn't overpowering.

Viola is also another woodsy/floral scent, though I did not like this one at all on me.

--- Gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin.

I haven't tried Hamadryad so I don't know how it compares, but Old Dublin is a very soft foresty scent with a breath of white rose. I say foresty rather than woodsy because it smells like you're walking through a living forest, not like aromatic dry woods.

Okay, I'm in a quandry. I love March Hare. Love. It. But I also don't generally care for fruit as perfume. I'd love to try something similar, but I have no idea what to choose because I don't normally wear this kind of scent. I tend to go for woodsy, incensey and spicy scents, not foody scents.

Anyone got any suggestions? I have Tamora coming in a swap already and figured I'd humble myself and ask for advice. :D

~ Penance

Edited to fix a typo... :P

Edited by Penance

If you love March Hare then you should try...

Imp

Depraved

Ravenous

Fae

Katharina

March Hare is my number one favorite room spray. It makes the whole house smell like Disney at Christmas. I must order another bottle!

I'd suggest you try Depraved.

Depraved A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot. (Gender neutral)

You may like Tamora, as it's sort of an incensy-fruit smell.

I've found Loviatar and Spellbound to be reasonably similar. Loviatar is much like Spellbound without the rose (which sounds weird, but bear with me)- the spicy/powdery sophisticated element in Spellbound is basically Loviatar straight up. I prefer Spellbound, but I enjoy Loviatar too. :P

Mars and Three Witches have very similar ingredients, and thus, a similar dry-down. But Three Witches has a sweetness that Mars doesn't.

India Bouquet [which is being discontinued, WAH!] has a lot of the "exotic" spice notes of Old Morocco -- and a few more spices to make it pretty much a straight up spice blend.

One of my favorite scents just got discontinued, and I was wondering if there were any other BPAL scents that smelled similar to it. Or, if I liked Allegory, I should also try [scent x].

I just put in my order for a 10 ML :P

I thought that Jabberwocky was really similar to Allegory. Of course, the main difference being the woods that were used. But it has a similar ratio and a similar feel.

Okay, my precious Damnation is gone (may it rest in peace) and I need a close replacement.

So far the only things I can come up with (that aren't also discontinued) are falling short in one way or another:

1) Cathedral - No cedar or vetiver (that I know of) and no sandalwood either, but it is incensey and that counts for something. :P

2) Old Kathmandu - No frankincense or vetiver. It smells cedary, though, which is very good.

3) Tushnamatay - No frankincense or vetiver again. It smells like cedar and sandalwood to me, though, so it's half right.

Anyone have any suggestions? I could list everything I've tried, but it'd take forever to go through the list, so any suggestions would be welcome. :D

~ Penance

Yeah, I'm going to miss Allegory a lot, too. :P I haven't tried Jabberwocky yet, but I'll definitely buy some now. :D

Okay, I'm in a quandry.  I love March Hare.  Love.  It.  But I also don't generally care for fruit as perfume.  I'd love to try something similar, but I have no idea what to choose because I don't normally wear this kind of scent.  I tend to go for woodsy, incensey and spicy scents, not foody scents.

I perceive a certain amount of similarity between March Hare and Siren. Since no one else has suggested this, I thought I'd put my two cents in!