Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Geminirubyshoes

The Last Unicorn

THE LAST UNICORN
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.

This is definitely a perfume befitting The Last Unicorn.
Smelling it in the bottle, the oil smells like a garden..like heads of lettuce nestled in the dirt. There is a freshness, airy and a little sweet also.
Upon first application, I get the frosty lilac note. Lilac is a scent that makes me sad for some reason but I think it's appropriate for The Last Unicorn. She is a lonely creature but steadfast and determined at the same time and I think lilac is evocative of that.I can smell the coconut underneath there too.
As it sits on me I am enveloped in a soft haze of delicate smells all mingled together. It's hard to pick the other notes out, everything blends together so well. I know there was a concern about white chocolate as a make it or break it note for some, but I can't detect any. Oh wait, there's the sandalwood. This is definitely another scent that makes me reminisce about my childhood. This blend is soft, innocent, fantasy and reality all at once.
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

As soon as I saw the notes listed for this one I knew I MUST own a bottle of it....and I must say...this is unlike any other BPAL bottle I own!

In the bottle: The strongest note for me in the bottle is the white chocolate, lettuce, and coconut...if you were worried about the white chocolate in this one, don't...because it faded as soon as I put it on my skin.

Once this hits my skin this turns into a very light "watery" scent.... that is the only word that comes to mind....I smell mostly what I'm guessing is frosty lilac petals, the wild lettuce, and coconut(but a very very light coconut).

Overall I'm very happy with this and I'm very happy to add it to my extensive collection....It's very hard to compare this to another BPAL scent because like I said, it's unlike any other scent I've tried.

It's a very innocent scent....I have a 9 month old daughter and while I DO NOT put perfume on her (duh) I think this would be the most appropriate one for her when she gets older and wants to wear "mommy's perfume" :lol:

This is lovely. The strongest notes on my skin are lilac and wood. I was afraid this would be just a thin wisp of a scent, but the base notes give it real depth and staying power. I think this will be something I will reach for often.

ETA: I should probably mention that I started crying when I first read the description of this scent. Probably some nostaglic longing for the girl I was when I fell in love with this story. So I may be a little biased. I want to believe in unicorns, darnit!

Edited by Elizabeth101

I'm bowled over by how gorgeous this one is. On my skin it's predominantly lilac petals (my favorite floral!) with the white chocolate as the second strongest note. It's very sweet, and well blended so that the other notes don't stick out so much. Like someone else mentioned, it's a much stronger and deeper scent than the notes would suggest, and that makes it perfect for me as someone who usually sticks with strong, red musk based scents. This is a gorgeous floral that's not TOO floral, as the lilac sinks into the other notes.

This scent is as lovely and ethereal as its namesake. The Last Unicorn starts off as predominantly white chocolate and violet leaf layered over a woody sandalwood base. There is a hint underneath of the watery wild lettuce. As it dries down, what I am guessing is the orris and iris come out - there is a sort of velvety and long-lasting dry down. This sticks close to the skin, but I kept catching occasional wafts of beautiful scent as I moved. Even though the throw is light, this lasts many hours.

Edited by Siberia

imp: creamy chocolate & coconut.

wet: while this smells wonderful in the imp, it's far less lovely on my skin. the chocolate does it's sour-weird thing and really overpowers the rest of the delicate notes here.

dry: as this dries, it gets much nicer. the white chocolate has tamed and there is a wonderful, creamy, soft scent on my skin.

The Last Unicorn was my favorite story as a child and brings back strong memories. I was so happy to hear that the Lab has created a line based on the book and it's NOT a limited edition (yay!!). I just received my Last Unicorn bottle and plan to buy a few more of the series.

*The label is SO pretty and delicate!

In the bottle: chocolate and lettuce

Wet: The chocolate is a lot less noticeable and now the orris and lilac are coming forward. Still smell the chocolate but it's way in the background.

Dry: Lilac, iris, orris and violet - this is a VERY lovely scent, not overpowering floral which is death to my allergies, it's light and ethereal. Smells way different in the bottle vs how it wears.

Review: I <3 this scent very much, it makes me swoon!!

In the imp: Very ethereal. It evokes a very misty purple feeling. Not very helpful, I know. It's such a misty, leafy purple floral with just a touch of white chocolate. The wild lettuce, iris root and violet leaf are lending a fresh quality. Maybe that's why it feels so misty. This is what I imagine an enchanted forest would smell like.

Wet: The white chocolate warms up and sweetens the florals and greenery. I can definitely tell that there are leaves and roots as well as petals. Although the white chocolate sweetens things up, it's still very fresh and misty.

Drydown: Oh, yum. The coconut has come out, and that plus the white chocolate are just beautiful mixed with the florals. Other than the coconut coming out it hasn't changed much. After about an hour I can pick out the white sandalwood. It's very soft. This is incredibly well blended. No one note ever overpowers the others. They all work together beautifully.

To be honest, I did not expect to like this. As soon as I saw the word chocolate in the description I said, "pass." I would never have tried this had I not gotten it as part of my decant circle goodies. Funnily enough, the white chocolate was what I like best about it! I think this is going to get a lot of use in the Spring.

I had really,really high hopes for The Last Unicorn and it does not dissapoint!

In the imp: I smell lilac, lettuce, and coconut.

On my skin: The coconut and white chocolate are the strongest at first, with the lettuce not too far behind. As it dries I am getting these wafts of serene heaven! The lilac and everything in the blend just combine so well that I cannot pinpoint one specific thing, like other reviewers have noticed. It starts off sweeter(although not too foody sweet,which I love, don't get me wrong, but this isn't that)and then shifts slightly into a more floral blend. This does not once turn sour,soapy,sharp,or plastic. It is perfect and I love it. Plus, it has AMAZING throw! The fact that I applied it several hours ago and it exists in a cloud around me still is rare and amazing. If only every lovely blend would last this long(I'm looking at you Black Opal!)

I love smelling like a Unicorn!

I suppose I'll have to be the first naysayer for The Unicorn. It's a pity too, because I really wanted to love this scent.

I got the chance to try this out at a Will Call and had to duck out to wash it off my wrist. I don't know what went wrong, but there was something in it that absolutely hated my skin, and smelled faintly like wilted cabbage. My guess is that it was the lettuce note, because I've worn all the other notes listed in various blends with no problems (including the white chocolate one). I'm pretty disappointed, though, because I really wanted to love The Unicorn and I just didn't get the light, ethereal sweetness that everyone else seems to be describing. :(

This ended up smelling exactly like White Chocolate and Sugared Violets from the Lupes in the imp, which gave me hopey hope of hopeness. But then the lettuce, oakmoss, and coconut decided to make my life hell, and ganged up on the more delicate florals and made them all watery on my skin. Gonna chalk this one up to skin chemistry, sadly, but it could've been awesome.

The Last Unicorn smells a lot like Bath & Body Works' Sea Island Cotton on me at first. It's like Sea Island Cotton (watery-clean with powdery floral and sweetness) with a touch of creamy, slightly earthy white chocolate. I like it for the first five minutes or so, and then something starts to smell off here. The scent takes on a perfumey-floral sharpness that starts to give me a headache and something turns strangely spicy-sour.

It's like a good smell with a lingering, sour, rotten something lurking underneath. I wound up having to wash this one off after about a half hour.

This has an odd combination of notes that isn't quite working on me. I'm hoping that this one gets better with some aging somehow...

The Last Unicorn - This scent opens up with the crisp green scent of lettuce combined with the creaminess of coconut and white chocolate. When it dries down, the lettuce disappears, and the creamy coconut and white chocolate are now accompanied by the wonderfully warm scent of oakmoss, the softly powdery scent of orris, and the faintest trace of lilac. It's a lovely scent, but a tad on the sweet side for me. On me, it's also very much a skin scent without hardly any throw.

Sigh. I really wanted to like this, because, well, THE LAST UNICORN! But for me, the white chocolate is a deal-breaker. I can get that there is something pale and ethereal behind it, but I'm just getting white chocolate and that paleness - no lilac, no orris, no lettuce. As it dries down completely, the sandalwood seems to come to the fore, but blended with the white chocolate it's a sort of slightly murky blandness. It's very much a skin scent on me, too - very little throw. (That seems appropriate to the Last Unicorn to me, though, since she's such a secretive, hard-to-pin down creature!) The final dry down is actually pretty nice, but it isn't very distinctive on me, either, and I find it hard to get through the white chocolate to get there.

ETA: Okay, I didn't really wait long enough on this one - once it's really truly dried down, it turns into this lovely ethereal kind of scent - very close to the skin, but long lasting; kind of airy and sweet, a little bit of floral, a little bit of lettuce greenness, blended together in a kind of misty quiet scent. It does become quite lovely, ultimately. I'm not sure if I'll wear it often because I don't love the opening, but it ends up much closer to my idea of what the Last Unicorn should smell like!

Edited by Anna D.

"My great-grandmother said only that the unicorn had a good smell."

I'm not sure what I was expecting The Last Unicorn to smell like, but this is an interesting take. My first thought on dry-down was "I smell old." Not an old lady kind of smell or anything like that, but literally like an ancient beast that has been in the forest for centuries. It's still magical, but you can feel the weathering of the centuries on her coat. That's what this smells like to me.

There's no real strong note that pops out to me as I think this is blended really well, but I can pick out the white chocolate, coconut, and lettuce. The chocolate isn't sugary sweet or overpowering for those with concerns.

This is a very interesting take on what she would actually smell like, but I'm not sure if it's something I would wear often. Excellent concept, but not a perfume for me.

I was concerned when I first applied this, because the white chocolate was doing that funk thing that it sometimes does on my skin. As it dried, the funk disappeared and I was left with something pretty awesome. Sweet and a bit floral but with a hint of something earthy and smooth. I really like this.

I loved the wet stage of this--white chocolate and coconut! Then a bit of lettuce peeks through and the lilac and orris start to come out and things go a bit wonky...it's too green. On the drydown I smell the white sandalwood and a bit of oakmoss, and the chocolate is almost completely gone. It ends up somewhat powdery and bordering on soapy...how sad, because this started out so well!

In the imp and when wet, the white chocolate stands out the most. On my intial application to my skin, the lilac wafts around behind the chocolate. The coconut comes out to play now too in a big way. It's also getting more floral and the chocolate is starting to fade into the background. Coconut seems to be the most prominent note on my skin with a floral background and just a smidgen of the white sandalwood. This is a lovely scent and I do think it's befitting of The Last Unicorn.

I call this "White Wulric", as that's exactly how it plays out on my skin. Instead of cocoa absolute, lavender, and birch tar, there's white chocolate and iris, and lilac. Very girly, wispy, unique with a perfect balance between sweet and woodier/floral notes.

Wet: loads of white chocolate, coconut, and a bit of lettuce and lilac. The oakmoss is a nice grounding touch. Soft, meaty, sweet.

Drydown: sandalwood, orris and oakmoss are more prevalent. The white chocolate and coconut are still notable but aren't as loud. I can still smell touches of the lilac and iris, which is nice. Usually these notes jump right off my skin as soon as they can. Debating a bottle.

On me, this almost immediately goes to mainly coconut and chocolate. I wouldn't have guessed white chocolate, it smells more like milk chocolate.

In the background, there is a very light sweet floral that isn't really "floral". It's more like the cool sweet floral in Snow White, which doesn't smell floral at all.

There is a vague wateriness (lettuce?) to the scent if you know to look for it, but its not something that stands out at all.

It's really very beautiful, and I think it'll be a bottle.

ETA: This is so, so beautiful. Coconut and chocolate gives way after about 2 hours to a sparkling watery scent without being aquatic. It's sweet and pretty, and I want to smell like this every day forever. It does morph, but both stages of this scent are perfect.

Edited by Shollin

Oh, my gosh. I usually don't much care for ethereal, delicate scents on me, because I'm not an ethereal, delicate kind of woman. This scent is grounded enough by sandalwood and oakmoss to keep it from floating away.

In the imp, I predominately smelled the lilac, coconut, and lettuce with something of a cool, almost minty bite under it. It made me think of early spring in the garden, when you wake up and sometimes there's still thin frost on the leaves, a very cool, crisp, clean smell. This is probably one of the cleanest BPAL scents I've tried.

Wet on me, the lilac amped, as it always does, but the coconut and lettuce still held their own. Oakmoss is a note that also amps on me, and it was fortunate this time, because it brought all that light floral and green down to earth a little. A woody fragrance also emerged, not to the point it overpowered, but it balanced. That impression of cool mint slowly faded back.

It wasn't until the dry down that I got even a hint of the white chocolate, and it just made things a little creamier. By the time it was dry, all of the scents had blended to the point it was difficult to pick out any one note. Periodically, I get a small whiff of coconut or the dry waft of orris. Mostly, it's just a lovely blend. It stays close without amping too much, but it lasts.

For a while at least, I believe this will be my go-to scent for spring. It's so beautiful, kind of a grown up floral without moving into old lady territory.

This is a very pretty, wispy and ethereal floral. If I had to give it a color, it is pale lilacs and green. The white chocolate did not make it foody at all, just creamy instead of crystalline the way you would think the rest of the notes would be. The lettuce stands out when its wet, but more as a watery green (not aquatic though!). I didnt get any coconut (which is usually bad on me anyway!). What I smell predominately: lettuce, lilac, iris/orris, and the creamy hint of white chocolate.

The Scent is soft and gentle. On me the white chocolate, osiris and coconut are most prominent on me but I don't mind. It reminds me of the original 13 (White Label) a lot (I think it may be the white chocolate) and it just fits. This scent fits and it's GC to boot. So so so glad to have this scent. The white chocolate and the coconut doesn't change much with the other notes in the background. Lasts a good 6 hours or more on me.

Whiff of lilac and lettuce, and then I get soft florals, a hint of coconut and orris. Very light, soft and gentle.

My skin eats this up. :(

Mostly, I get coconut out of this with a bit of the white chocolate adding a smooth sweetness. However, it isn't very foody or over-sweet (gourmands tend to go cloying on me and this doesn't). I luckily don't get florals at all. This is a complex scent, underneath the coconut and I'm going to have to wear it a bit longer to see what happens on long wear.