Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Firewaver

Winter-Time

Sweet, soft snow.

This starts out mint with a soft creamy element, but one that isn't a milk note, just gives an impression of white creaminess in some way I can't pin down. It reminds me of toothpaste.

The toothpaste thing calms down quickly and pine begins to overtake the mint. I also think I smell eucalyptus, but I'm totally cheating off other people's paper because I didn't identify it until someone mentioned it, and then I thought "Oh! That's what that is." A little creaminess is still in the background. There's a brief amazing stage where it smells like tinkling sleigh bells would smell if they were a scent.

But the green stuff then becomes way dominant on me: the pine and eucalyptus-y thing and a note I always think of as celeryish. It's a little room-scenty to my nose. There's not much throw. The creamy note occasionally reasserts itself.

Eventually I get mostly eucalyptus and the "celery" thing (dang it, what is it that smells like that to me?) and what I think is a light musk, kind of powdery. Occasionally a little of the cream thing too. I think I may amp this type of musk more than I'd like. On the upside, I don't get ozone, which is great because it means I don't have a headache.

This is soft and pretty but I don't need a bottle.

ETA Lab description.

Edited by lady_pandora

2014 version

Spearmint, wintergreen, and masculine aquatic woods. This one smells more like a festive themed men's cologne. Sticks closer to the skin, decent wear length.

Minty, water, woods.

Winter-Time 2014

In the vial: Cool, minty and a little aquatic.

Wet on wrist: Wow, hello there aquatic, minty man! I must say, this blend is quite a masculine aquatic, but seems to sweeten up the longer it sits on my wrist. Makes my nose tingle from the oceanic vibe.

Dry: The mint came forward, and the sweetness seemed to over-ride the overall aquatic vibe I was getting at the beginning of wear. I am now left with ... chewed up spearmint gum.

It's not bad per say, but not something I want to smell like.

2014 version.

In the bottle: Sweet and minty with an almost dryer sheet like powderiness. This is different than the other snow notes I have encountered thus far.

Wet: The same, but with a more prominent mint note that I believe may be spearmint. There is also a somewhat aquatic vibe to this scent now, but it remains powdery.

Dry: Sweet, powdery snow. The scent is sweeter than it was during the wet stage. It kind of reminds me of making snowcream when I was a child. I prefer this stage of the scent.

Verdict: I almost bought a blind bottle of this, but I am glad that I didn't and went with a low partial instead (because I am not particularly fond of spearmint). I will keep my partial, but I don't need a whole bottle.

In the imp: Soft and sweet, like dryer sheets touched with sugar, with a hint of pine.

Wet on skin: Same as before, but the pineyness has become a mintiness - not peppermint, but more of a wintry spearmint. The mint doesn't overtake the scent, though - there's still a soft, clean, dryer-sheet-y floral blending nicely with it.

Dried down: This is gorgeous! Soft, powdery, minty clean!

Throw: This is actually competing and blending with Chocolate Stout Cupcake on my other wrist - with the throw that one gave me, I didn't think I'd be able to smell this at all! But I don't have to sniff my wrist to get the beautiful minty softness. The chocolate is giving it a little more sweetness too (but not too much, considering the chocolate isn't all that sweet).

Verdict: ***** Another Yule love for me! I think I might want to get one more backup bottle of this.

(2015 imp)

in the bottle- I'm just getting an interesting cold mint note... a very sweet mint.

on skin- sweet mint with a hint of vanilla. The vanilla reminds me of the sticks that come in fun dip.

Artificial and borderline too sweet.

It doesn't morph at all..the vanilla just becomes more dominant. Still artificial vanilla and sweet mint.

It's interesting but I don't see myself reaching for it much. The imp is enough.

Edited by petrichorandleather

In the imp: Minty soap.

Wet: The same.

As this dries, I feel the coolness of the mint on my skin where I applied the oil.

Winter-Time is a very subtle scent. It doesn’t smell like perfume; it doesn’t even really smell like soap or scented body wash. It smells like clean skin, just after I’ve stepped out of the shower when I’ve used a mint soap or shower gel: that very faint lingering scent.

After about two hours, on the back of my hand I smell the “white creaminess” that lady_pandora described above. It’s soft white musk with a tinge of vanilla. Very pretty and ethereal.

This is for the 2014 version.

In the decant: Minty snow, w/ a hint of sweetness. The mint is that note used in the Wintermint gum or maybe even a spearmint note.

Wet: The mint recedes a bit, and the sweetness moves forward.

The dry-down: Minty-sweet snow with lots of throw. I can only wish that this was less minty and more sweet.

In the bottle: Okay, when I first opened this scent, I wondered if someone had sent me the wrong perfume in the wrong bottle. There was something light and aquatic in the scent, but also something deeper, like a cross between a resin and a food...like fig, caramel or cake. (My god daugther smelled caramel.) I was mystified.

Freshly Applied: WOW. What a change! There is a deep mellowness to this scent that is quickly overtaken by something soft and clean. It's a snow-scent without being snow. I'd say it's like a flower, but it's not flowery- it's close to linen, but it's not linen. It's just smooth, bright and clear, like walking out into a morning after a night's snowfall, and all you can see is the sun reflecting on the snow and all you can smell is the literal scent of cold, winter air.

Drydown: About the same, just more subtle, more coy. Much less depth but more brightness- we've got the sled and we're running out to play.

A lovely scent!

Minty, sweet and soft. I like this, but it goes slightly fungusy. Great for summer.

Winter-Time 2014

In the bottle: Soft, sweet, a little minty.

Wet: Pretty much the same as in the bottle. A soft, sweet, minty scent. Spearmint or Wintergreen? Can't quite tell.

Dry: This stays the same in all stages, but I happen to really like this scent as is. I love the soft sweetness of this and the mint. A very nice blend. I wasn't sure what I would think of this at first, but it turns out this one really works for me.

2014 version:

The scent is sorta meh.

Its a bit creamy, a bit minty, a bit aquatic.

Not good or bad but nothing that makes me take notice.

To me its a very boring scent.

Wow, this blend is a pleasant surprise! I'm not really a fan of snow notes but this one is pretty nice, soft and sweet and creamy with light touches of mint. It's pretty inoffensive so it's perfect to wear around friends who have scent sensitivities. :D I bet this would layer wonderfully with other Yules!

Edited by tharsei-thanate

Wet this has that coconutty, snow scent that many ascribe to Snow White, but ended up totally lost on me. Once on, it immediately goes piney, but the sweet, coconutty snow lingers around, so the pine doesn't become too stark. I don't necessarily associate it with outside the snow or even inside looking out on the snow, but an early reviewer described it perfectly as the winter fairies in Fantasia, and I must agree:

15faeebd469820b24a60156f3f392dc8.jpg

I am going to try and find a bottle of this!

Whaaaaaat. I'm so confused. There's something in there that doesn't work for me which sucks cause I was anticipating this one so much..

I think there might be caramel in there and a sour vanilla and to be honest I'm not getting a snow note, not one that I'm familiar with anyway.

It's mostly foody with just the tiniest hint of smoke in there. There's a lot of artificial mint in there actually.

This might just go onto the swap pile I'd just hate to give up on it yet, aw.

When I first got this (2014), it was so faint I could not smell it much, and it had a sort of strange evergreen note I didn't like. Two years of age have rendered it exactly as advertised, sweet snow. It's beautiful! This is a sweet frozen aquatic note, it really does mimic that sweet scent the air gets when snow is coming. Medium throw, and a pink color from my synesthesia, for what it's worth. I love it, and I am just sad I don't have more.

I love this, especially in the warmer months. It has perfect throw (not shouty, but not a total skin scent). It reminds me of a better version of Bath and Body Works Eucalyptus Mint, sooo I guess this might have a non-astringent eucalyptus and mint in it? Very smooth and nice.

2010 version

In bottle: A creamy peppermint, maybe?

Wet: First off, no. A cologne? Something woodsy, pine forest. Would love this on a SO. Not sure it’s working on my body chemistry. I see why some people said it smelled like pine though. No snow notes anymore. 

Dry: It just gets worse?!?!

After a few minutes: O.K. now it smells like very cheap shaving cream. That imitation pine & mint. With a sort of soap backdrop? I'm not sure. It's not what I would think of for the description.

After the first hour: I want to wash it off, it's just shaving cream.

Final Thoughts: I washed it off. It was not playing well on my skin AT ALL. I have no idea why this was so wrong on me, but wow. 

Wear: N/A

Throw: A solid 3 or four feet.

On me? It's a  cologne scent. That's not to say it is only that, but if this were marketed by a typical perfumery & I was the scent model. (I'm only including this because it's a thing I always want to know.) (It's cologne leaning based of how it smells on me. Also, this does not denote a gender, it is just a scent grouping.)

Judging by the reviews, also by my own poor history with the snow notes of the past, this had to be down to my skin chemistry. Tried it twice, two weeks apart & it never really faltered to turn into shaving cream. Away with thee!

Edited by TheLampades
wording

This is such a weird scent!

I definitely get a blast of peppermint. But not the sharp kind - it is much softer and reminds me more of toothpaste. So, spearmint perhaps?

I wouldn't have thought so by myself, but after reading previous comments, I also think I can smell a faint memory of wintergreen and/or pine in WT.

It also features carnation and/or orris for the sharp creaminess that ties into the mint.

And, that's the kicker, I thought I smelled that dreaded celery note again that I get whenever there is a sugar note in a scent, especially brown sugar.

After the blend has calmed down a bit, the celery note actually reveals itself as fennel/anise note - I think there is anise and/or absinthe in this blend.

Either that or the whole blend reminds me very much of Absinthe, especially since that one also has several mints listed as notes.

I expected this to be closer to a Lick It blend as I wanted to smell mint and vanilla notes so badly.

Also, I was hoping for the snow note that I love in Snow White.

This, however, is the worst combination of carnation hand lotion, old toothpaste and anise hard candy that I could imagine.

Sorry, big nope - just want to wash this off.